Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggsyking

We are so fecking desperate for a fecking trophy that we’d rather sell our soul and be like the oil rich daddy clubs that we dislike for ruining the game that we’d rather become the one thing that we hate (short term success, spunking money like there’s no tomorrow) to get a taste of success.

Nothing like long term planning and success and a bit of patience.

Desperatation now that we’re even considering defensive borefest Conte, the one thing a lot of people disliked Mou for was the borefest park the bus style of play je played and you want someone who is arguably worse! The desperation is real!
Short term? it has been 8 years since the last title. Ole in dec will be 3 fecking years at the club. If by december he is nowhere near the title race (after 3 fecking years) then he should feck off regardless his legend status as a player. This is Manchester united not fecking West Ham or Spurs. And even by your measures and logic, Yes I would take short term success over long term failure.

Giggsyking

Of course. It's not like most of those eight years saw the club almost get destroyed from within by the owners, an incompetent CEO, or several managers that sacked the staff, destroyed the structure, replaced loads of players with overpaid crud, or maybe even went all bunny boiler on everyone and disrespected the entire history of the place. Lets blame the one bloke who came in and tried to fix the all of it and almost succeeded (at this point) for all of that. Context is irrelevant. Get Conte in I say. Get a couple of pots and burn it all to the ground again. Or maybe that bloke who almost got Brighton relegated, he's obviously Pep mkIII and will really take us places.

Losing to feckin Villarreal in an EL final was massively embarrassing and painful. Move on. Sometimes you have to understand where you came from to know where you are and how to go forward. Very few people could have come in and done what the man has done when you consider the context of the last eight years, Ed fecking Woodward and the rest of it. He has some flaws that he's earned the right to try and improve on. If he fails, yup, time's up is fair.

Spamming the place like sulking children is pointless.
Why Ole's fans are always full of insults to other posters?

Giggsyking

Saying nobody would've done any better is intangible. Winning (or rather losing) trophies is.

When are you supposed to evaluate him? Next year will be 'not backed enough' or will you then accept he's not good enough?
They will always find an excuse.

Anustart89

Saying nobody would've done any better is intangible. Winning (or rather losing) trophies is.

When are you supposed to evaluate him? Next year will be 'not backed enough' or will you then accept he's not good enough?
Nah, next year will be disrupted by having our players away for the Euros during the summer, which means we won't have a proper pre-season to practice defending set pieces, breaking down a low block and teaching AWB how to a) hold an offside line and b) pick up a man at the back post.

Foxbatt

Nah, next year will be disrupted by having our players away for the Euros during the summer, which means we won't have a proper pre-season to practice defending set pieces, breaking down a low block and teaching AWB how to a) hold an offside line and b) pick up a man at the back post.
Or, the Board is not backing him enough. This is the get out of jail card. If we don't win then the Board didn't back him enough.

Eplel

Chelsea showed that letting a mediocre manager go and bringing a great manager works. Time for us to do the same.

SAFMUTD

Tuchel showing that a top manager doesn't need years and years to develop a team. Still the narrative will be around having patience and patience with a average manager.

el3mel

I'm sorry everyone. I can't watch such management of a CL final after our EL disasterclass and be just fecking content with our current management.

I want a manager like this managing us in top games. I don't give a feck about anything else.

dove

I just can't comprehend how a manager can win something sooner than 5 years. According to veteran caf members, it's just not possible and the manager makes no difference. So how can somebody take over a struggling team (9th place if I remember correct), reach FA final, TOP 4 and win the CL in his first year without signing any players?

edgecutter

Chelsea made a big call and have been rewarded. The case for keeping ole at United is getting slimmer and slimmer. Top managers are hard to come by and Chelsea snapped one up straight away. We should be doing the same.

Mainoldo

Chelsea showed that letting a mediocre manager go and bringing a great manager works. Time for us to do the same.
They’ll tell you they have a much better team than us.

But then will tell u we have a much better manager because we finished above them in the league.

Or something like that.

edgecutter

I'm sorry everyone. I can't watch such management of a CL final after our EL disasterclass and be just fecking content with our current management.

I want a manager like this managing us in top games. I don't give a feck about anything else.
Exactly how I feel. It's sickening how inept our board are.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This can't be right with Chelsea. Manager comes and in 6 months he transforms team in champions of Europe. How? Don't you need 5 transfer windows, 4 years and world class players on every position for that? How??

Oh, i know. That is something what class managers do.

Eplel

They’ll tell you they have a much better team than us.

But then will tell u we have a much better manager because we finished above them in the league.

Or something like that.
I've seen and tolerated a lot of rationalizations, but it's time for the Ole ins to own the fact that they've been going wrong about it, and apologize for their arrogance.
If Tuchel doing the double in 5 months, with an arguably worse squad, while Ole bottled the EC final, won't bring some sense to them, nothing will.

DeGea

Lampard was a club legend, maybe at the same level as Ole is with us. Yet Chelsea did not succumb to sentiments which is the achilles’ heel in pursuing success and just went for the jugular and made the decision that was going to make them winners.

Ole will be worried tonight, he will have had a look at that result and realise the pressue on him now is immense. The only reason he is still here is because he has demonstrated some progress and he is a nice guy.

MU655

I did have a feeling keeping Solskjaer may cost us. I think we may very well have missed out on the next big manager.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Exactly how I feel. It's sickening how inept our board are.
Unbelievable really. All around Europe, clubs showing what true manager means for a club. Not just that; WE (with Fergie) are best example in football what world class manager can do.

dove

Lampard was a club legend, maybe at the same level as Ole is with us. Yet Chelsea did not succumb to sentiments which is the achilles’ heel in pursuing success and just went for the jugular and made the decision that was going to make them winners.

Ole will be worried tonight, he will have had a look at that result and realise the pressue on him now is immense. The only reason he is still here is because he has demonstrated some progress and he is a nice guy.
Saddest thing is that he won't be. We are perfectly happy to sit in TOP 4 without winning anything.

hobbers

Two managers who can get underdog sides to CL finals in Poch and Tuchel.

And we turned down both to keep Ole.

We'll look back at this period and weep.

The United

I know this thread is not exactly about that game.

But, I thought the game was entertaining in the first half due to the fact that it was pretty shit tactically especially by Pep.

I didn't see anything worthy of calling any of them masterclass.

But, I agree we have to pass faster and better like them.

NZT-One

What has been massively overlooked is that Ole has had one full preseason to take the players through.

I'd imagine never having been in that position makes it hard to try new players and new formations because you can't really experiment through the season because you need results, this makes rotation harder as you can't really see new relationships developing etc, I know you can maybe add one or two players without needing a preseason but I imagine it's not an ideal scenario for any manager.
Having no real pre-season certainly isn't great. But a) we are looking at a pretty similar scenario this year, b) it applies to other teams as well (maybe to another extent but whatever) and c) waiting for perfect conditions will slam the door into your face. Evolution is always about adapting. And while I agree with you, some of the outside factors could have been better, OGS had also some outside factors working for him like the corona break.

I don’t get why everyone looks down on short term success.

if it meant we got Conte in, spent 200m and won the PL, then didn’t win it again for a few years. I would take that now.
I certainly wouldn't. I even would consider that very shortsighted. We have a young squad, potentially some awesome players to come closer to their peak years, obviously we shouldn't throw it away for one measly title. I don't know a lot about Conte but he is pretty rigid with his playstyle. It wouldn't fit, we would have to change formation and therefor look at different types of players all over again. That would increase the time, this rebuilt takes even more.

For all the things this thread names as issues, we have to make sure, we get the right coach in when decide to change manager (not saying we should) and I don't see an obvious candidate right now. The discussion shouldn't be what Ole does or doesn't but about what do we expect from our manager. Just getting rid doesn't help at all.

BTW: Tuchel just won the CL against this "out of reach" ManCitiy team. This indicates two things: a) it is possible to change the way a team plays the game in relatively short period of time without changing half the squad and b) I was sure that this was Cities year to win the CL. The stars have matched, but again, it wasn't enough. They are beatable. You just have to put in the effort.

Kaos

I did have a feeling keeping Solskjaer may cost us. I think we may very well have missed out on the next big manager.
It’s already cost us tbh. Any half decent manager would have seen us over the line against a very ordinary Villarreal.

But hey we finished 2nd in another trophyless season so that’s fantasikk progress.

stw2022

I do think it shows the difference a top manager can make to a side. Of course some will argue we tried with experienced manager before and it didn’t work so using the same logic of if you don’t get on with your first couple of girlfriends after a while it’s common sense to go gay, we went with someone who was almost a novice

AshRK

Ole is lucky his owners are glazers and not roman. We fans are unlucky we have shit owners.

Mainoldo

Dont worry the latest managers work in cycles. So it won’t be for long. But meanwhile we will continue with our process waiting for this big day of success that will last 25 years like the last one. Meanwhile our rivals continue to succeed, fail and succeed again. All within the time it take Ole to lose a EL final.

MU655

It’s already cost us tbh. Any half decent manager would have seen us over the line against a very ordinary Villarreal.

But hey we finished 2nd in another trophyless season so that’s fantasikk progress.
Yeah, it probably has. It is just far more frustrating if you have missed out on one of the top managers again rather than a half decent one. That is Guardiola, Klopp, and now it is looking like Tuchel.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Conte, Allegri, Tuchel, Poch, Zidane. All those managers were/are available during Ole reign.
Instead going for all those proven managers and proven winners (well, except Poch) we keep going with this farce.

UDontMessWith24

Chelsea were also willing to eat the gap in salary demand between their club legends and a manager like Tuchel. There’s no way price wasn’t one of the considerations in Ole becoming a long term appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.