Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

this picture is still messing with my mind. How can a manager even allow a player to stand next to him in the technical area like that ?

There is no way these man respect this manager or trust his skills, they know he isnt the guy.
Give over. Ronaldo and Bruno got up to have a go at the referee after their player Simons was allowed to repeatedly foul whilst on a yellow. It means nothing.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I'd like to think there was more to the plan than "lump to Ronnie".

We looked like we had full control of the situation despite their superior possession stats. Sure, they had plenty of the ball, but they weren't creating much. I felt we would hold one.

I love the club more than any manager or player, trust me.

I've no idea what you meant with the last sentence.
How did that Pan out ?

432JuanMata

isn't that exactly what Lingard did?
Look Lingard and AWB made mistakes but tactically after the sending off what were we trying to do ? No extra CM to try and get a bit of possession and no outlet bar kick it long and let it come back.
The result isn’t as hard to take as the performance we went 65mins without a shot and let them have 22. Even with 10 men that shouldn’t be happening against Young Boys

InfiniteBoredom

Coaching ability aside, this is something that just won’t change with him, his mentality is that of Moyes, not Fergie. Preserve first, attack later, only go for a desperate gambit if it goes tits up. Going to Leipzig with a back 5 last year and ceding all control to Young Boys today have the same energy, it’s a pattern.

croadyman

He keeps saying when we lose or draw that we should be better with the ball but still no improvement on ball retention at all

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Adds nothing to the discussion
Look Lingard and AWB made mistakes but tactically after the sending off what were we trying to do ? No extra CM to try and get a bit of possession and no outlet bar kick it long and let it come back.
The result isn’t as hard to take as the performance we went 65mins without a shot and let them have 22. Even with 10 men that shouldn’t be happening against Young Boys
cool

DutchCruijff

West Ham away is going to be a very, very tricky tie for Ole. We've played 3 Away (Soton, Wolves and Young Boys) and struggled in all 3. West Ham considerably superior to all those sides before.

Mid October - end November is a brutal fixture list. Brutal.

In the PL, Leicester (A), Liverpool, Spurs (A), Man City, Chelsea (A) and Arsenal. We've got Villareal (A) and Atalanta (H&A) within that too.

We need to get going ideally now so we're in the zone for those fixtures.

SAFMUTD

No big surprise really. Anyone thinking he's a great coach is going to be disappointed, after AWB red card it was the players job to keep the zero on the back. Unfortunately they couldnt and then Lingard's mistake was just obscene. Could Ole have done a better job? Probably, but was anyone really expecting a tacticall masterclass from him? I dont think so. We dont look like a well drilled team with 11 men so asking us to be with 10 men is non sense.

We need a better coaching staff and a better manager, but we dont have it and we wont until god knows when, so lets not waste anymore time debating about wheter Ole will ultimately become a good manager, lets debate if the players can carry us by themselves to a big title.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
West Ham away is going to be a very, very tricky tie for Ole. We've played 3 Away (Soton, Wolves and Young Boys) and struggled in all 3. West Ham considerably superior to all those sides before.

Mid October - end November is a brutal fixture list. Brutal.

In the PL, Leicester (A), Liverpool, Spurs (A), Man City, Chelsea (A) and Arsenal. We've got Villareal (A) and Atalanta (H&A) within that too.

We need to get going ideally now so we're in the zone for those fixtures.
We certainly need to get back to playing it much tighter than we have been or we could be out of it by the end of Nov. It is what it is.

Halftrack

this picture is still messing with my mind. How can a manager even allow a player to stand next to him in the technical area like that ?

There is no way these man respect this manager or trust his skills, they know he isnt the guy.
That's some nice fiction right there.

They had 20 shots on goal before that. If we had a proper coach with such a squad, we should have easily kept possession and no let them anywhere near our goal. It was an embarrassing performance considering the talent we had on the pitch even after the red.
No they didn't, the feck are you on about?

Hopefully we'll get a result on the weekend, and you can slink away again.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

You're making this argument to make the Ole-in crowd look bad, right? All we need from a Man United manager is good man management? :lol:
[/QUOTE]

I get you're being facetious, but unless you drop Ole now (doubtful) there's no other way than to strengthen the brain trust by bring in someone else to support him when he's clearly struggling.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
That's some nice fiction right there.

No they didn't, the feck are you on about?

Hopefully we'll get a result on the weekend, and you can slink away again.
They had 19 shots we had 2. In the second half we had 0 shots on target, 0 shots off target and 0 corners, so why don't you slink away until you can face reality.

KD6-3.7

This season will be a lose lose situation for Ole. Its going to prove he just isn’t a great coach even with a serious improvement on our squad from last season and won’t be able to hide behind the lack of good players in the squad even with the lack of quality in our midfield.

Last edited:

Halftrack

They had 19 shots we had 2. In the second half we had 0 shots on target, 0 shots off target and 0 corners, so why don't you slink away until you can face reality.
"reality" :lol: That's a completely foreign concept to you.

19 attempts, most of which came from outside the box and/or went well wide. Quite different from the "20 shots on target" you were banging on about. Then again, we know how good you are with facts and statistics, so it's not all that surprising that you'd make that claim.

MDFC Manager

I'd like to think there was more to the plan than "lump to Ronnie".
The primary outlet tactic was to lump long balls into Pogba (the Fellaini tactic).

Bizarrely this went on even when Pogba was barely winning 20% of these long balls, or even after changing formation.

Man is clueless on how to manage a real time game. He preps a tactic before a game but has no nous to adjust/tweak/improvise during a game. Obviously we won't win anything of note with such glaring managerial deficiencies.

BorisManUtd

Our squad is full of great players. Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Ronaldo all quality players. We do lack that kind of quality in midfield but still should be aiming for top, both in Premier League and Champions League. So there's no excuses this season, we either perform or hire a better manager (presuming there's one available if/when the decision is made).

We'll be interesting to see how it goes this season. I expected Ole to get the sack after Burnley defeat back in January 2020, then our performances improved, same happened last November. Since then Ole's position has been secure but this season is make or break for him basically. I am afraid of potential situation where the team is underperforming but club is delaying decision to sack the manager, so we get out of Champions League and our rivals leave us far behind in the league, which would basically end our season as no one would actually care about Europa League or finishing top 4. So I just hope club will be ruthless if needed. Chelsea weren't waiting for too long and got rewarded for it, both in PL and Champions League.

Acquire Me

It was a shit game. Ole, the players and the staff did not manage to deal with the red card. It’s irritating and leaves everyone with a bad feeling.

It will not define our season, that’s for sure. It will however make us wanting to improve. Mistakes are part of the game, from management to players.

I don’t see failure as a bad thing at all if you keep going, learn and reflect.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
The primary outlet tactic was to lump long balls into Pogba (the Fellaini tactic).

Bizarrely this went on even when Pogba was barely winning 20% of these long balls, or even after changing formation.

Man is clueless on how to manage a real time game. He preps a tactic before a game but has no nous to adjust/tweak/improvise during a game. Obviously we won't win anything of note with such glaring managerial deficiencies.
Seriously mate - what are you on about? Long ball? Fellaini? 20%? Got some actual stats to back this up? Strange, strange post.

Halftrack

I mean, he's proven more than capable to change the course of games, but keep acting like it's never happened I guess.

UnofficialDevil

"reality" :lol: That's a completely foreign concept to you.

19 attempts, most of which came from outside the box and/or went well wide. Quite different from the "20 shots on target" you were banging on about. Then again, we know how good you are with facts and statistics, so it's not all that surprising that you'd make that claim.
You want to call them attempts, that's fine. 19 attempts, most of which came from outside the box and/or went well wide, vs 0 attempts from us, from outside the box and/or well wide. Glad you're pleased with that.

ExoduS

Yeah, I'm afraid Ole just doesn't have it. It seems he is good to motivate players and it also seems that he is good as an underdog but terrible front runner / favorite. I lost all confidence in him after two very pathetic performances in PL and this one in UCL. We have the squad that should be able to look much much better.

We had 2 shots on goal vs their 15. That is just too bad.

Halftrack

You want to call them attempts, that's fine. 19 attempts, most of which came from outside the box and/or went well wide, vs 0 attempts from us, from outside the box and/or well wide. Glad you're pleased with that.
I don't want to call them that, it's what they're actually called. "Shots on goal/target" are shots that are goal bound, meaning a save or block is needed to prevent a goal. An attempt is a finish, and can be either on or off target. You'd do well to learn the difference, especially if you're going to start following football.

And I never said I was pleased, I was just pointing out that you (once again) veered away from reality to make a point. Seems to be your thing.

marktan

He's brought a lot of positivity to the club after the spells of Van Gaal and Mourinho, and the squad is stronger, but ultimately he's never been close to the likes of Klopp and Pep let alone SAF, and never will be.

Hes not a great tactician, and he's not good at setting up teams to play good football. Crucially I don't think he's particularly good at singing the missing keys in a team either, the way Pep is or SAF was. He spends a lot of money and some of it sticks (Maguire, Bruno), but there's a lot of questionable purchases there too now. I don't think he's going to suddenly get it right, and certainly not right enough to topple 3 other serious challengers in the league who are just as good if not better first XI wise but additionally with better managers. If anything that makes it worse, there's a lot of positivity and good will, hope and close scrapes, but you just sort of know we won't ever seriously challenge for the league. So we'll chug along for another couple of years, and then have to re-start the merry go around again.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think one problem is, when we are a man down, we really need our players/midfielders to work 120% extra in order to cover the spaces all over the pitch. But we don’t have these type of players. Mctominay is still out injured and we have no one else willing to run their socks off and to put pressure on opponents, whereas usually other teams would have several more fighters in their squad.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He just don't know how to dominate games and win. We had huge success in this " stay compact and hit on counter" because we didn't had the quality and all of the players were hardworking runners.

Now we have a brilliant squad and he just don't know how to use them effectively. Teams can press us high knowing that we just won't be able to bypass the press. Imagine having Ronaldo, Pogba,Bruno, Sancho and yet we play counter attacking game ?

Southampton pressed us high and we couldn't handle it. Wolves did that and deserved a point. YB did the same thing today and won the match.

It's the same thing for the weekend as well. Moyes will school him this weekend . Horrible place to visit after a loss.

UnofficialDevil

I don't want to call them that, it's what they're actually called. "Shots on goal/target" are shots that are goal bound, meaning a save or block is needed to prevent a goal. An attempt is a finish, and can be either on or off target. You'd do well to learn the difference, especially if you're going to start following football.

And I never said I was pleased, I was just pointing out that you (once again) veered away from reality to make a point. Seems to be your thing.

Love the way you always have to include a personal insult in your posts, says more about you to be honest. I also know who's veering away from reality if they cant accept what happened in the match tonight.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I don’t understand why he allows our players in defence and midfield so many touches of the ball. Pogba is a ball hog and that causes us to lose possession so many times.

Why can’t he implement a strategy of no more than 2 touches before releasing the pass?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah and losing a game whilst a man down is something that can(and very often does) happen as well... to blame the whole loss on Ole is absolutely, mind meltingly dumb.
The quality of our football under him has mostly been underwhelming. He's shown an inability to coach us into playing quality possession football. Results like last night are poor but it's that combined with our the level of our play that causes the angst. At an elite club, expectations are always high so it's up to him to show he's a top manager which I don't think he is.

Drainy

It feels like a fork in the road moment for this team.

After what Ronaldo said on Saturday about needing to mature as a team to give that type of overall poor performance with 2 massive individual errors will lead to an inquest in training.

Time for the senior leaders in the squad to dig out the players who can't cut it and management to deal with them ruthlessly. We need to move on from the weak links because we concede so many due to individual errors.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I think Zidane would do well for us if he was willing to come. I don't think that right now is the time to replace the manager though.
100%. We need to learn to keep the ball. Ole has done really well to get us to here. Might be, this is about as far as he can take this group.

NK86

Don't see him getting sacked. Unless he loses the dressing room altogether.
With the likes of Ronaldo in the squad, if we are not competing for top honours or getting dumped out of the CL in the group stages (with Ronaldo targeting more goals in the competition at this stage of his career), then we might as well see a bust up. If he loses Ronaldo, he will lose the dressing room quickly.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
This season will be a lose lose situation for Ole. Its going to prove he just isn’t a great coach even with a serious improvement on our squad from last season and won’t be able to hide behind the lack of good players in the squad even with the lack of quality in our midfield.
That’s voicing the fears of many, I’d say. Points about possession, how ropey it looked with eleven, all are fair. I do like Ole. But the backroom staff ought to complement his skill set, not reinforce it. Hopefully he’s learning from experiences like last night. Hopefully he will have some good advice. Hopefully this will be a be a breakthrough season for him, too.

meamth

With the likes of Ronaldo in the squad, if we are not competing for top honours or getting dumped out of the CL in the group stages (with Ronaldo targeting more goals in the competition at this stage of his career), then we might as well see a bust up. If he loses Ronaldo, he will lose the dressing room quickly.
5 match left, pretty confident once the team up to speed, we will go through. Back the team.

Red Stone

He's slowly building a phenomenal team, but sadly in the process he's also increasingly exposing himself as being one of our weakest links. I like the job he's done and think he's been a good appointment overall, but we're approaching the point where we've reached the limit of what he can do for us. At least a good foundation has been laid for further down the line when a better tactical manager (hopefully) takes his place.

NK86

5 match left, pretty confident once the team up to speed, we will go through. Back the team.
I am not saying we won't go through. However I also felt we would win the Europa last season. So my thoughts on what is going to happen with our play is pretty inconsequential.

However, the likes of Ronaldo won't settle for mediocrity especially at this stage of his career. If he loses Ronaldo, it can go south for him pretty quick.

Kopral Jono

I don't condone these sort of things, it's a slippery slope, but I agree that the likelihood of this happening has increased fivefold since Ronaldo's arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.