Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NK86

He's slowly building a phenomenal team, but sadly in the process he's also increasingly exposing himself as being one of our weakest links. I like the job he's done and think he's been a good appointment overall, but we're approaching the point where we've reached the limit of what he can do for us. At least a good foundation has been laid for further down the line when a better tactical manager (hopefully) takes his place.
I think these are my thoughts as well. Before it turns sour, maybe move him to a different role and get someone more competent who will actually take us back to the top and not just have us as a nearly there team.

Ole will always remain a legend for the club as a player. Hope we don't let his managerial ineptitude tarnish that image of his. Only way to stop that is to pull the trigger on him in time.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
The quality of our football under him has mostly been underwhelming. He's shown an inability to coach us into playing quality possession football. Results like last night are poor but it's that combined with our the level of our play that causes the angst. At an elite club, expectations are always high so it's up to him to show he's a top manager which I don't think he is.
Imo it’s abundantly clear by now that he’s not a top manager. He may be excellent at other aspects, but being a poor/average coach is a fatal flaw nowadays unless he surrounds himself with elite coaches, which he hasn’t. The question now is whether he’s at least good enough that an absolutely world class squad is sufficient for him to win the big trophies. Given that we’re up against competition who can have equally elite squads alongside actual top managers who are elite coaches…

Of course some would argue that managers don’t actually affect their teams that much though.

NK86

I don't condone these sort of things, it's a slippery slope, but I agree that the likelihood of this happening has increased fivefold since Ronaldo's arrival.
I don't condone but I will taken a proven winner as a player over someone who has not shown anything in his managerial career so far. So will the squad I feel. Bruno, Varane will most probably side with Ronaldo. That's enough for Ole to be sacked easily.

The fixture list is absolutely horrible for us in October-December. If we come out of that relatively unscathed, then he has a chance. If we end that run being 8-10 points behind the league leaders and potentially looking at a CL exit in the group stages again, I can see Ole losing Ronaldo. Once that happens, he is a dead man walking. I am sure even he is aware of it.

Jackal

Teams go a man down in football all the time. The sign of a good manager is how they react to it. Utterly baffling substitutions that cost us 2 points. How are people defending Ole for this result ? He absolutely is responsible.
Ole could relegate Man Utd and there would still be plenty of fans saying it's progress.

A lot of people cannot separate Ole(the legendary player) from Ole(the inept Manager). We all saw Tuchel go a man down at Anfield and he managed that game like a boss. He reduced Liverpool to huff and puff attempts and Tuchel survived Anfield. Then you have Ole playing cowardly against one of the worst teams in Europe. The 5-substitution rule is a huge advantage but it's a massive disadvantage for Ole. It seems the more options he has, the more daft decisions he makes.

There's no way United are finishing ahead any of Tuchel, Pep or Klopp to a title. At least one of them would finish above him even if Woodward signs Messi, Haaland, Prime Makelele or Prime Roy Keane. Ole is clearly out of his depth but he's brought the feel good factor back to OT. Maybe he should be promoted as the chief psychologist at Old Trafford while competent tacticians are hired to get the club back on track. What we all witnessed last night was an abberation.

Even the much maligned Mourinho never conceded a goal to Young Boys. It was 4-0 aggregative over 2 legs with a much more inferior players.

mav_9me

West Ham away is going to be a very, very tricky tie for Ole. We've played 3 Away (Soton, Wolves and Young Boys) and struggled in all 3. West Ham considerably superior to all those sides before.

Mid October - end November is a brutal fixture list. Brutal.

In the PL, Leicester (A), Liverpool, Spurs (A), Man City, Chelsea (A) and Arsenal. We've got Villareal (A) and Atalanta (H&A) within that too.

We need to get going ideally now so we're in the zone for those fixtures.
That's going to be rough. Now Ole has seen thru some difficult times but this might be his toughest run of fixtures.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I wonder if he knows but is just giving it a go and hoping for the best.

L_O_S_T

When OGS was hired, he did not have the top level management experience in his management career. It was a sentimental choice no doubt, and the fact that the club hired him meant they were willing to allow an inexperienced manager as much time as possible to learn the ropes and get up to speed and hopefully be on par with the best (aka do a guardiola). From that point, we have essentially sacrificed hopes of winning any silverware for at least 3-5 years while OGS is still on his learning curve. Possibly they were banking on his positivity, heritage and hopefully some luck to bring a possible trophy home.

From what we can plainly see, he did good in terms of regaining squad morale, turning the ship back from the dark waters of the LVG/Mourinho era, and bringing in coherent signings. But it is quite apparent that his tactical nous and in-game management are still woefully short of top level.

So far he has mostly escaped some of the harsher criticism that would have been directed to our manager had he been a Jose or someone experienced. However with the calibre of this season's signings (Varane, Sancho, Ronaldo), this will be a make or break season, no less than a trophy has to be expected. Another trophyless season may well spell the end of OGS's reign at Old Trafford sooner, rather than later. OGS has a special place in most united fans, and we would hope he wins something, but I also suspect most fans are already slowly beginning to realize in the back of their mind, that maybe he is not going to become that top coach we had all hoped for.

SAFMUTD

This is last year Lampards seasons for him, totally backed up. I think the excuse about the squad not being good enough is out the window, specially with Cristiano on the team now.

It's a curse in disguise for him, will ultimately end up costing him the job. If we fail there's no one else to point the finger to.

Winrar

It was a shit game. Ole, the players and the staff did not manage to deal with the red card. It’s irritating and leaves everyone with a bad feeling.

It will not define our season, that’s for sure. It will however make us wanting to improve. Mistakes are part of the game, from management to players.

I don’t see failure as a bad thing at all if you keep going, learn and reflect.
Except this sort of performance has happened several times, against Sheffield, Leipzig, Istanbul... it's the same song and dance and it looks like we didn't actually "learn" anything from those defeats going by the abject display vs Young Boys.

Yes, there's still 5 more games to go in the group stage but if we fail to get of this one we need someone else to take the wheel if we are to go to the next level.

OmarUnited4ever

Is he going to get sacked if we do not qualify from the group stage?
Can't say for sure, what if he is still top of the league (or 1/2 pts from the top) when we crash out of group stage?.

for me though, if he does not qualify from the group stage, then he should be sacked, even if he is top of the PL or thereabouts!

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Some fans on here refuse to learn. @crossy1686, @Bobcat, @Tom Cato, @Crashoutcassius , @Berbasbullet, @Acquire Me and so many more.

This has been the same ole that has divided opinions since he came here. The only difference is that he is getting more quality players. I had a thread closed asking, why there is so many false dawns under Ole. The answer should be clear now that he isnt good enough. I still expect us to go through because we have an easy group, but it will take a great amount of luck for us to win the champions league with him in charge. This shouldn’t be United standards. We should expect better football with the team we have.

I will accept your apologies, but once again I am not surprised this happened. There will still be many more false dawns to come. We will not find the right consistency under Ole

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Coaching ability aside, this is something that just won’t change with him, his mentality is that of Moyes, not Fergie. Preserve first, attack later, only go for a desperate gambit if it goes tits up. Going to Leipzig with a back 5 last year and ceding all control to Young Boys today have the same energy, it’s a pattern.
It's just insane. You have players like Ronaldo, Bruno, Pogba, and Sancho (with Greenwood and Martial on the bench). Then went meltdown to go Mourinho's, just because losing 1 player against Young Boys.

Last edited:

ash_86

That was a very very bad outing for the whole team. Individual mistake after individual mistake costed the loss. Be it as a may, we cannot overlook the metal weakness in the team. Players didn't know what to do with the ball, where to play, how to receive the ball ect.. I've been on Ole's side since day one but right now i'm not sure if he can take us any further. Our team is filled with talent across the pitch and currently we're underperforming in the way we play, the control we exert on weaker teams, and our mentality. Ronaldo is going to bail us over multiple times over the course of the season, but i cannot stop thinking how well we will look with a proper coach , someone who can give us a structure. I'm currently disappointed with the way we play.

James Peril

The fewest shots in a CL game since 2002, which is fine when we go down to ten men against prime Barcelona… perhaps not Young Boys? This season is going to be incredibly similar to the last one, except for the fact that we’ll lose lots more away games now that fans are back in the stands.

Amadaeus

The fewest shots in a CL game since 2002, which is fine when we go down to ten men against prime Barcelona… perhaps not Young Boys? This season is going to be incredibly similar to the last one, except for the fact that we’ll lose lots more away games now that fans are back in the stands.
Wow that is appalling. I can place a bet that we will all forget about this and trash west ham in the weekend and the cycle will continue :lol: . I still feel we will do better than last season, because of our signing. Especially Ronaldo.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Some fans on here refuse to learn. @crossy1686, @Bobcat, @Tom Cato, @Crashoutcassius , and so many more.

This has been the same ole that has divided opinions since he came here. The only difference is that he is getting more quality players. I had a thread closed asking, why there is so many false dawns under Ole. The answer should be clear now that he isnt good enough. I still expect us to go through because we have an easy group, but it will take a great amount of luck for us to win the champions league with him in charge. This shouldn’t be United standards. We should expect better football with the team we have.

I will accept your apologies, but once again I am not surprised this happened. There will still be many more false dawns to come. We will not find the right consistency under Ole
Such a troll :lol: course you reappear when you get the result you want after embarrassing yourself again the other day.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Some fans on here refuse to learn. @crossy1686, @Bobcat, @Tom Cato, @Crashoutcassius , and so many more.

That was a very good and valid thread in idea, why was it closed?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Another poor performance coupled with bad mistakes. We had recorded the least shots in a CL game I read.

Amadaeus

That was a very good and valid thread in idea, why was it closed?
Not sure. The mod said we Didn’t need another ole thread, but god knows we get lots of that :lol:. It is a valid thread as time and time again, we have seen so many false dawn and today was just another one after the high of beating Newcastle. There isn’t any consistentcy with Ole.

tenpoless

It's always the bizzare subs (and formation to a certain extent) that makes me not very convinced with him... outside of those he's done good but we needed to control the game and he decided to play 3 at the back and sat deep. We needed a goal and he took off Bruno. Also why does he always refuse playing 3 or more in midfield when we are struggling to control anything... Matic, Fred, Pogba or Matic, Fred, Donny or Donny, Fred, Pogba. Can also instruct Bruno to drop deeper and help. Why always 2 man midfield. Not all occasions need 2 man midfield especially when Sancho didn't contribute that much anyway. I don't understand it. A body in midfield would help tremendously and we were already ahead.

When we were down to 10.. I expected something like this. This will surely give us more control. I mean the easiest way to win control in midfield is to put more bodies than the opponents midfielders. That's like... Big Sam level of tactics.. very noticeable especially when you have average or aging midfielders.
Lindelof Varane Maguire Shaw
Bruno Fred/Donny Matic Pogba
Ronaldo/Martial​

Acquire Me

We are currently top of the league and we did one hell of a shit game in the first match of the CL. To be fair, it’s early days. We got new players that have joined up with a exciting group of players.

We should be able to see a bit more of this season before going into complete meltdown. I don’t think Ole will be our manager if he fails this season.

Some fans on here refuse to learn. @crossy1686, @Bobcat, @Tom Cato, @Crashoutcassius , @Berbasbullet and so many more.

Damn boy. You are taking trolling to the next level :lol:

Utd77

Utd had the best transfer window by far, yet dull draws at Wolves, Southampton, the YB debacle, am afraid the problems remaining the same points to one thing, the coaching and management of this team is overall simply not good enough!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Knock out type games and competitions seems different to the way he handles the leagues.

I feel much less confident in Europe than in the League.

weizxx

Since the Europa League final lost all my faith in Ole. Hope the next one is good enough for United. It's United, not Arsenal or some other team...

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Not sure. The mod said we Didn’t need another ole thread, but god knows we get lots of that :lol:. It is a valid thread as time and time again, we have seen so many false dawn and today was just another one after the high of beating Newcastle. There isn’t any consistentcy with Ole.
Opposed to what Ole's fervent supporters suggest, there is some censoring of the more 'critical fans'.

I understand it not being appreciated if posters just spout nonsense about Ole and insult him, but there have been many false dawns and there are reasons why there have been.

JG3001

Lot of smart people in this thread since full time. have yet to see someone say who could realistically replace him and be an upgrade.

however, today was an abomination.
There have been plenty of suggestions over the past 2 seasons, but his hardcore supporters always find an excuse as to why they aren’t better:

Tuchel - Failed PSG manager
Nagelsmann - Hipster German, what has he won?
Rose - Hipster German, what has he won?
Conte - Too defensive, Mourinho 2.0
Zidane - Pure luck, managed one of best squads in the world
Rodgers - Liverpool connection, a joke

I think there are genuinely some who would find an excuse with Pep or Klopp, for them it’s Ole till I die.

He’s another Lampard, we need to get over the sentimentality and let him go if we want to take the next step.

ti vu

We are currently top of the league and we did one hell of a shit game in the first match of the CL. To be fair, it’s early days. We got new players that have joined up with a exciting group of players.

We should be able to see a bit more of this season before going into complete meltdown. I don’t think Ole will be our manager if he fails this season.

Damn boy. You are taking trolling to the next level :lol:
People repeating this is getting annoying. So here I will just say it: all 4 teams we faced so far in the league are currently in bottom half of the table. They're struggling for form in 3 other games beside the game with us. So really it's not something incredible about the current position.

Sure it's good stay (around) the top, and not having to chase others the entire season. Better start this season than the previous is welcomed. However, let's not distract from the main long term concern about our frequent underwhelming performance against far inferior teams. With the quality addition we acquired, it's getting ridiculous to stomach this kind of performance (not just the result).

Giggsyking

Some Ole fanboys are devoid of logic. Criticize him when we win with a bad performance and you would be called being negative. Criticize him when we are in shambles and lose and you are being called opportunistic taking the chance to fire shots at him.

Ole fanboys, just gives us a schedule with date and time when we can come to this thread.

Amadaeus

Opposed to what Ole's fervent supporters suggest, there is some censoring of the more 'critical fans'.

I understand it not being appreciated if posters just spout nonsense about Ole and insult him, but there have been many false dawns and there are reasons why there have been.
Yea, you are not the only one that sees that. It seems even structured post and being outspoken can get you censored on here if a good majority doesn’t like what you said. I have even gotten banned as a way to censor me, only for one of the good mods to revoke that. I agree that there is no place to insult or spout nonsense against ole, but when you have real concerns towards what he is doing, there should be an open dialogue for that.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
There have been plenty of suggestions over the past 2 seasons, but his hardcore supporters always find an excuse as to why they aren’t better:

Tuchel - Failed PSG manager
Nagelsmann - Hipster German, what has he won?
Rose - Hipster German, what has he won?
Conte - Too defensive, Mourinho 2.0
Zidane - Pure luck, managed one of best squads in the world
Rodgers - Liverpool connection, a joke

I think there are genuinely some who would find an excuse with Pep or Klopp, for them it’s Ole till I die.

He’s another Lampard, we need to get over the sentimentality and let him go if we want to take the next step.
Pep definitely. Have seen so many calling him a fraud. And tbf Ole has a decent record against some of these including Pep, Tuchel and Nagelsmann. Klopp seems to be the one that most fans (grudgingly) acknowledge as one of the best coaches in the world.

Godfather

Are we on the bottom half of the league?
Of the CL group yes. Matters as much as our league position at this point. What does matter though are the underwhelming performances with a world class squad and false dawn after false dawn after false dawn under Ole.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Some Ole fanboys are devoid of logic. Criticize him when we win with a bad performance and you would be called being negative. Criticize him when we are in shambles and lose and you are being called opportunistic taking the chance to fire shots at him.

Ole fanboys, just gives us a schedule with date and time when we can come to this thread.
The excuses are getting boring now. Early days, new players blah blah bs. We could be the most inconsistent team of all times. Nobody seems to accept the fact that the manager is incapable of changing the game using substitutions. His in-game management is close to atrocious.

As someone said earlier, 5 sub rule doesn't benefit Ole because he doesn't really know how to use subs and the more he does it, the more he sets us up to fail. This has been a recurring pattern with these kinds of games and it doesn't look like it's gonna get any better.

I acknowledge the work he has done so far and full credit to him for bringing the feel good factor here but this is as far as he can take us forward. Comfortable top 4 team and maybe a tinpot cup here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.