Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olecurls99

Young Boys are fourth in the Swiss league. No disrespect to them but we really should be beating them. Even with ten men we should have taken a point but, in all honesty, they probably deserved the win as they were playing nicely on the break even before the sending off and then afterwards they dominated possession in a way that a side of their calibre shouldn't against us, regardless of being a man up. Theoretically, we should have the players to keep the ball in an 11 vs 10 situation against a side like Young Boys, but the reality is different. Given the gulf in ability I would attribute that to how the side is set up and coached.
Disagree. I would liken them to a lower PL club. They are in the CL after all. This is the crux of the matter. I think they've got some good players and were playing their hearts out. I think the 10 men coupled with their work rate made it very difficult.

mu4c_20le

What does this even mean? His job expectation especially with how much he's spent and how much time he has been given is to win major trophies. If he isn't delivering on that as other managers are better, than that determines, by default, that he isn't good enough, does it not?

If the expectation at the club was to be the third/fourth best team in the country, then yes, he may well be good enough, but that isn't really the case, is it
In the full quote he did say that Ole needs to win something with the squad that he has. That was his point. I suppose that if Ole does win something then he would be deemed good enough.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not even sure which top coach would subscribe to that role though?

If he has that much tactical nous, he might opt to manage himself.
That requires a way better research than I'm able to provide, obviously. But there are many examples even in recent history of either great managers who started out in a similar positions or of great tacticians that failed to replicate their success in the managing role as you need more than just tactics to manage the club.

It's very hard to assess exactly what and how well do Carrick & McKenna are doing, but they're clearly not going to evolve into such figure though otherwise they would've already did, that much is clear. To be fair, the set-piece coach that we've signed this summer from Chelsea was supposed to be a very hot prospect...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is too much like SAF - he is heavily reliant on an assistant manager and hardly has anyone who is good enough currently.

If he doesn't get a coach or assistant manager in - I doubt things change.

Green Arrow

I think so too. I don't think the clubs (Glazers) ambition is much stronger than that. As long as Ole's 'steering the ship' -- a top 4 finish with some good performances sprinkled in here and there, he should be fine.
If there is someone above Ole who has overall authority on how we play football (Murtaugh and Fletcher don't count) I would be bringing him into the office and asking him "What type of football is that?, Where are the tactics to play progressive football? What are the coaches training the players?" Ole has the best squad since Sir Alex since we last won the league and with those players we should be challenging for the league (I know we're top but it's early days) and the champions league we need to get quite far into it.

He either needs to get onto the training pitch and see what Carrick and Mckenna are doing as in training the players or he needs to get them out and get in top coaches who have done it at the highest level and can get the team playing properly.

Last nights display was shocking and hitting side ways passes and long balls all come from the coaching. Ronaldo is not going to put up with that kind of performance again.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Ole in or Ole out, one side will be proved right this season that's for sure.

Nowhere for him to hide now, we have a great starting 11 with some world class talent and a good overall squad.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
We will be here having the same conversation next season. There will be little to no progression. We will spend another 70-100m on a cdm but it will not make much difference.
The level of squad we have deserve a far better manager than we have
This is so obvious. Ive been saying this all summer, even before we resigned Ronaldo.

TrustInOle

Ole in or Ole out, one side will be proved right this season that's for sure.

Nowhere for him to hide now, we have a great starting 11 with some world class talent and a good overall squad.
Can't argue with this. Seen something the other day, possibly on The Kick Off/ true Geordie, but Ole's job description when he came in was to settle a sinking ship and build a team that can challenge for the top honours. I don't think anyone would argue he has achieved what he came in to do, but now the job description has changed, with the squad he has assembled we should be challenging for the title and that has to be acknowledged now.

I have been a heavy supporter of Ole as In my opinion, he achieved what he came to do, we have progressed to the point where even rival fans are thinking United have to win something big now. This will be a huge season for Ole and if he can't adapt to the pressures of CL and PL challenging we should definatley be looking to improve the staff going forward.

Mickson

Disagree. I would liken them to a lower PL club. They are in the CL after all. This is the crux of the matter. I think they've got some good players and were playing their hearts out. I think the 10 men coupled with their work rate made it very difficult.
They would be relegated after 38 games, for sure. I follow Malmo closely and they are in CL too and are probably equal to Young Boys, they would get relegated from PL. Just because you are in the Champions League doesn't mean that you're great. You just can't excuse this loss by saying that Young Boys are a good side. This is the only game Young Boys will win in the group, if it still stays competitive that is.

tomaldinho1

At this point I still wonder — so far it's only been mentioned in fan theories, but...

Considering that Ole have been relatively competent in identifying our team's weak points (even those that he haven't patched up yet), is there a chance that he would be willing to look for an assistant that would deal with most of the tactical stuff? It may sound weird to completely give up that part of the job but he has to see that something is not working when he does it and Fergie of all people (although later in his career) had those kind of assistants.
It’s the logical step but then you think who would take that job? It’s also clearly not a model that you can point to being successful when the last CL, LL, Serie A and PL winners off the top of my head (Flick, Klopp, Pep, Simeone, Conte, Tuchel etc) are all tactical nutjobs who obsess about everything and all play very different styles. We have Carrick and McKenna leading training and people wonder why we often look disjointed.

Olecurls99

They would be relegated after 38 games, for sure. I follow Malmo closely and they are in CL too and are probably equal to Young Boys, they would get relegated from PL. Just because you are in the Champions League doesn't mean that you're great. You just can't excuse this loss by saying that Young Boys are a good side. This is the only game Young Boys will win in the group, if it still stays competitive that is.
What if Villareal or Atalanta have a man sent off?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
but now the job description has changed
Spot on. I've tried very hard to resist camping in either the 'in' or 'out' position as things aren't always so black and white. While I recognise the work he's done to build this squad, I've also repeatedly felt he's just not good enough to take us to winning ways. Now, things are much more clear in terms of what our aims should be. Great starting 11, peppered with exciting young players, experienced winners and some world class stars. In short we should be slugging it out for the league as a bare minimum with a decent, respectable showing in the CL. Last night was far from a respectable showing.

Godfather

Spot on. I've tried very hard to resist camping in either the 'in' or 'out' position as things aren't always so black and white. While I recognise the work he's done to build this squad, I've also repeatedly felt he's just not good enough to take us to winning ways. Now, things are much more clear in terms of what our aims should be. Great starting 11, peppered with exciting young players, experienced winners and some world class stars. In short we should be slugging it out for the league as a bare minimum with a decent, respectable showing in the CL. Last night was far from a respectable showing.
Perfect summary

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I would have to concur. Now i would love for him to succeed given he is a legend, but from what i have seen i would be betting against it.

Kaos

Is Carlos Queiroz available these days? Bring him back and have him, Ronaldo and Bruno form a Portuguese coaching committee. Ole could stick to giving us vibes in press match conferences and interviews.

Abhinav

Yesterday just exposed our general weakness to the extreme. We are careless in possession and our play is imprecise. We are generally poor at recycling the ball and in the last few games have been prone to counterattacks. While midfield personnel is an issue, we also struggle because we don’t take up smart positions on the field and make it harder for players to progress without taking risks. This is a big coaching issue and needs to be solved if we want to achieve anything meaningful this season.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
You just dont know which United team will turn up. We can win by 4 or draw. Whereas with City and Liverpool you know how they will play.

Halftrack

They are mates and Scholes can see the writing on the wall, but we are cnuts etc. for suggesting the same.
Scholes: "The only difference is the quality of the managers, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool have proven winners".
People on here: "Ole is useless, inept and clueless tactically. The sooner we get rid the better".
The same people on here: "We're saying the same thing as Scholes, but somehow we're cnuts?!"

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Even Simon Jordan can see there are mitigating circumstances behind last night's result.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Hmm, where have I seen this before?

Right. Extremely normal adult behaviour.

Think maybe you should take football a bit less seriously, because some dude not managing a team to your standards is not a reason to hate them.
I hate people with his attitude.....his interviews after the match were a disgrace.

And i don't care what he has done here as player.

Halftrack

I hate people with his attitude.....his interviews after the match were a disgrace.

And i don't care what he has done here as player.
Never suggested you should, little buddy. Maybe just take a break from football and cool off a bit, it's clearly not healthy for your psyche if it's driving you to hate people.

Giggsyking

:lol: Well played.

You'll get your excuse the day he get sacked

FFS, stop with the "fanboys" crap. Cant moan about @Wumminator bullying you when you bring that kind of divisive rhetoric yourself.

As several people have said already, hes not immune to critizism, nor should he be. The problem is that after every bad result or performance this thread gets flooded with the same shite and its not only tiresome. Its stupid, because judging a manager on a game-to-game basis is senseless. And the fact that this thread gets about 15 new pages every time we lose or draw is very much evidence that people are just waiting for a chance to pounce. His in game managment wasn't great yesterday and there is no doubt he and his coaches could have done that a lot better. That still does not change the fact that we lost the match because of two massive feck ups by our own players

The fact is, the overall trend is improving and has been since he was appointed. We are currently top of the table in the PL and have had a great summer window. Considering Villareal and Atalanta drew yesterday its not like we have crashed out already. You said yourself several times "he has to win the CL or PL this season". The fact that you think we are in serious contention for those trophies must mean hes done a decent job, because we looked properly fecked in 2018 after Jose was sacked and if he was such incompetent clown we could easily have gone the way of Arsenal and scrapping it out in midtable

If you have concrete criticism related to the team selection, subs, tactics. By all means go ahead, but these meltdowns after every bad result are just dumb, espeically in a game where we get a man sent off and give away a free goal from a stupid back pass
So it is Okay for you guys to moan about other posters criticizing the manager. But others should not do that? Ok.
I dont personalize my posts, unlike some the posters here, I right general thoughts and my OWN opinion, that often gets people like you and him offended and staring to bully posters personally.

Halftrack

So it is Okay for you guys to moan about other posters criticizing the manager. But others should not do that? Ok.
I dont personalize my posts, unlike some the posters here, I right general thoughts and my OWN opinion, that often gets people like you and him offended and staring to bully posters personally.
You just generalise and denigrate entire groups of posters, which is better... somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.