Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil@84

People who keep saying this has nothing to do with Ole's coaching and everything is down to the players or individual mistakes in games, cannot be engaged. It is becoming more and more obvious that there are shortcomings in our play, not to forget insane stuff like stubbornly refusing to sub Fred against PSG leading to us going to 10 men and losing, freezing in the Villareal game and not subbing any player on the pitch, ultimately forcing the game to penalties, and now going completely scared and highly defensive against Young Boys, just because we went one man down.

padzilla

Hipster
I never say Ole builds his team in this manner. A lot of report says he wants new DM/CM anyway so that alone shows you he wants to upgrade the current midfielder but couldn't buy everyone so he believes the best way is to play in this manner for this season.

I don't believe it was a mistake because Sancho is not rapid, he is more and less as quick as Pogba, while Ronaldo was isolated alone and he had the chance to go one v one situation or even had a shot or even take us into 2-0 but couldn't do it as his leg run out of steam. Ronaldo was always gonna do less defensive work to press given his age and that's the issue as we were one man down. We brought on Martial and Lingard who are the fastest one on that bench and faster than Sancho and still nothing changed.
The scoreline certainly changed as a direct result of bringing Lingard on for Ronaldo, just not the way we hoped it would.

Foxbatt

Surely we have enough quality to play with 10 men against Young Boys? When they throw players forward we should have the ability to hurt them instead of getting into our own box and all hands to the pump scenario.
Even Scholes said that it's down to the manager.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He should have done better in Europe.

If you don't think so then fine.

If you don't see the influence of queiroz on 2008 then that's fine vs phelan. Then that's fine.
Are we talking about the same man that won a European cup with Aberdeen beating the likes of Bayern Munich and Real Madrid along the way? Was Carlos with him then or when he won the cup winners cup in '91. When we became the only English club to win the treble in '99 was that down to Brian Kidd and later Steve McClaren. :lol:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

If you don't see the influence of queiroz on 2008 then that's fine vs phelan. Then that's fine.
You do realise there was a time when he was unable to field his strongest sides due to the foreign player rule at that time. I do agree that Ole needs a good assistant who is up to date with modern football. Not someone who is drumming SAF ideas into his head when football has moved on.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
You do realise there was a time when he was unable to field his strongest sides due to the foreign player rule at that time. I do agree that Ole needs a good assistant who is up to date with modern football. Not someone who is drumming SAF ideas into his head when football has moved on.
Funny how this is always ignored.

DomesticTadpole

Are we talking about the same man that won a European cup with Aberdeen beating the likes of Bayern Munich and Real Madrid along the way? Was Carlos with him then or when he won the cup winners cup in '91. When we became the only English club to win the treble in '99 was that down to Brian Kidd and later Steve McLaren. :lol:
SAF has admitted that later on he managed and made sure his coaches were top notch. That they did most of the coaching, but he would have discussed tactics with them and listened to their opinions.

Uniteddy

To me it seems like some people want the club, the squad, and backroom staff to be good enough to win a title for the manager.
Rather than the getting a manager, squad, and backroom staff good enough to win a title for the club.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
SAF has admitted that later on he managed and made sure his coaches were top notch. That they did most of the coaching, but he would have discussed tactics with them and listened to their opinions.
Of course he was an important factor in our success between 2006-2008 but to say it was down to the assistant manager is laughable. There was a time when United fans were calling for Querioz's head in 2005 and it's not like we didn't have success after he left. We went on to win three league titles and make two CL finals.

SAF was great with Querioz and without him. End of discussion.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So we have manager who needs world class player in every position to implement his ideas and who needs better coaches around him to give him good ideas about tactics, attack and defence. Damn, what is his job then? Would not be better to hire a manager who knows all stuff and who is up to date with ideas?

DomesticTadpole

Of course he was an important factor in our success between 2006-2008 but to say it was down to the assistant manager is laughable. There was a time when United fans were calling for Querioz's head in 2005 and it's not like we didn't have success after he left. We went on to win three league titles and make two CL finals.

SAF was great with Querioz and without him. End of discussion.
Him and his coaches were a team. I just hope Ole coaches are not worried about speaking up if they think something is amiss.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Him and his coaches were a team. I just hope Ole coaches are not worried about speaking up if they think something is amiss.
I've always had my doubts over the coaches. It looks like Carrick and McKenna do most of the coaching and they're always talking with Ole on the sidelines. Makes me wonder what Phelan's role actually is.

Eric Ramsay is looking like a good hire.

DomesticTadpole

So we have manager who needs world class player in every position to implement his ideas and who needs better coaches around him to give him good ideas about tactics, attack and defence. Damn, what is his job then? Would not be better to hire a manager who knows all stuff and who is up to date with ideas?
I have always said that. Ole will only succeed when he has a squad of world class players. SAF could inspire average to good players to perform to their ultimate. I am not convinced by Ole at all. He starts to convince me, then does something weird and I go back to doubting him again. He could win a cup, because to do that you need a bit of luck, so it depends if lady luck is smiling on him. Even our great teams had luck in the cup competitions. The league however is a slog and the best team with the best coach/manager usually wins. They know how to get that bit extra out of players over a long season.

tomaldinho1

You need to look at it in relation to what was going on in football at the time though. SAF's United would be considered the greatest team ever hands down if we hadn't lost two finals to Barca - there's no shame essentially being second best to them and we had to beat them when we won it as well.

Queiroz was key to us adapting to a more European style of play (however he left in '08) and we were in 3 CL finals in 4 years between 08-11 (Bayern away goal knocked us out in the QF in 09/10)...name another team that's been anywhere close to that level of consistency bar Barca and Real in recent times. You'd have to go back to AC in the early 90's. SAF probably should have won another CL but he's got the same amount as Heynckes, Mou and Pep, despite the latter having had the optimum seat to win it every year for over a decade. Ancelotti and Zizou have 3 but then a vastly inferior domestic record.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
If Utd fail to get out of that CL group he should be sacked immediately and Conte should be brought in. It would have happened 18 months ago at any other huge club.

But then again the people who run your club are clowns so they will probably keep him because he's in the top 4.

RooneyLegend

Can't we just send him upstairs? He's the only one that's at least spent the clubs money decently, let him handle recruitment and find a top class coach.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
If Utd fail to get out of that CL group he should be sacked immediately and Conte should be brought in. It would have happened 18 months ago at any other huge club.

But then again the people who run your club are clowns so they will probably keep him because he's in the top 4.
Conte would be a disaster. He would fall out with the owners within a year and feck off leaving us in a worse situation.

You can say what you want about Ole but if he was sacked tomorrow he would leave the club in a better situation than any of the previous managers we've had over the last eight years.

mav_9me

His in-match tactics are really strange. He heeps so much pressure on himself. I hope he can work out some simple and effective tactical changes before he gets canned.

I have never liked listening to him talking. This has always been my main gripe with him. I wonder if the players feel the same. Anyway, I want him to succeed but I don't want to hear him talking.
Ignore what he is saying. It doesn't matter what he says in public. In any case no losing manager is going to be able to speak well.

In any case ignore what he is saying, pay attention to what he is doing. Eg: he can say as much as he wants about giving VdB gametime, proof is on the pitch.

Giggsyking

What if he loses the CL final on penalties to PSG after battering them for the entire game and having a legitimate goal ruled out a week after losing the league on GD to City on 106 points? Do you see how ridiculously stupid statements like “if he doesn’t win a trophy he’s sacked” are? Context matters surely?
Dont be rigid. If that freaky incidents happen, no body will blame him. When I say if he fail (not the team, not luck incidents you mention above) he leaves.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Before we fill that hole in midfield we have all been talking about, we need to fill that hole in Ole's head.

He truly is in over his head with this job.
The moment AWB was sent off he should have taken Ronaldo off bringing Dalot on.
Take Pogba off and bring on Greenwood.
Keep the 4 at the back.

We play 4-2- 3

We would have scored a couple more and won the match 3-0.

We knew they were going to come at us. We get them on the counter.

5 matches against ordinary sides we should have won comfortably.

2 comfortable wins. One lucky win. A draw against a defensive team.And a loss against fodder.

beer&grill

Only at United you hear people blaming the assistants for the shortcomings of the manager. First it was the squad, now that we have a strong squad, the problem is the backroom staff. It’s never the fault of the Director of Vibes.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You need to look at it in relation to what was going on in football at the time though. SAF's United would be considered the greatest team ever hands down if we hadn't lost two finals to Barca - there's no shame essentially being second best to them and we had to beat them when we won it as well.

Queiroz was key to us adapting to a more European style of play (however he left in '08) and we were in 3 CL finals in 4 years between 08-11 (Bayern away goal knocked us out in the QF in 09/10)...name another team that's been anywhere close to that level of consistency bar Barca and Real in recent times. You'd have to go back to AC in the early 90's. SAF probably should have won another CL but he's got the same amount as Heynckes, Mou and Pep, despite the latter having had the optimum seat to win it every year for over a decade. Ancelotti and Zizou have 3 but then a vastly inferior domestic record.
I didn't really start this as an anti SAF thing.

I started this as I saw SAF's man management type football and Ole's man management type football.

Then i saw stuff like Queiroz's influence on SAF's best set up which was a mix of both - and all I'm saying is that Ole needs someone like a Queiroz to give him a shape of football.

We saw the shape of football change alot under SAF. I even at times found it very basic even if it won stuff during the chicarito and cleverly, valencia era - so I do think Ole needs that assistance.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
So it is Okay for you guys to moan about other posters criticizing the manager. But others should not do that? Ok.
I dont personalize my posts, unlike some the posters here, I right general thoughts and my OWN opinion, that often gets people like you and him offended and staring to bully posters personally.
What do you want exactly? Its not allowed to disagree with you? Just because someone responds to your posts and disagree with what you wrote does not mean they're trying to silence you, nor does it mean they are "moaning"

I am not going to answer for what other posters are writing, what i took issue with was you labeling the other side of the fence as "fanboys". That's basically the same as me calling his critics for "gloryhunters" or "plastics" or some shit

pascell

I agree. Unfortunately, as long as we're in the top 4, Ole is staying.

It's been abundantly clear he has no set game plan, is limited tactically and what happens on the training pitch leaves a lot of question marks.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Conte would be a terrible fit for us

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't want Conte here.

I'd only consider him if OGS ends up buying Haaland for United next year.

Haaland under Conte I can stand for a year.

luke511

His brainfarts seem to be an inevitable occurrence, is it inexperience, lack of intelligence or tactical prowess? These are all since Feb 2021 apart from the last one:

- Played 5 at the back with one forward with 10 men vs Young Boys, making it impossible to hold onto possession past the halfway line for 45 minutes
- Took Fred off for the last 6 minutes vs Young Boys and played Lingard in his position instead, Lingard fecks up and the game's lost
- Doesn't make a sub until the 100th minute in a European final vs Villareal, who made 5 subs in the 90 minute period, loses on pens.
- Took Greenwood off for Tuanzebe vs Everton without instructing anyone to cover the right wing, fecked with the shape the space was exploited and we conceded late again to make it 3-3.
- Brought Dan James off for Shaw vs Milan first leg, fecked with the team shape and was all Milan after that point, conceded late goal.
- Rested Bruno before international break vs Leicester in a quarter final, had 2 defensive CMs on the pitch up until the 85th minute when we were already 3-1 down.
- Doesn't sub Fred off at half time vs PSG when he should've been sent off, Fred gets sent off, PSG score and win.

tomaldinho1

I didn't really start this as an anti SAF thing.

I started this as I saw SAF's man management type football and Ole's man management type football.

Then i saw stuff like Queiroz's influence on SAF's best set up which was a mix of both - and all I'm saying is that Ole needs someone like a Queiroz to give him a shape of football.

We saw the shape of football change alot under SAF. I even at times found it very basic even if it won stuff during the chicarito and cleverly, valencia era - so I do think Ole needs that assistance.
Big difference which actually annoys me the more I think about it, is SAF had A) previous European success pre United/had built a strong team at Aberdeen which afforded him time and B) won everything with United inc the CL as a hands on coach BEFORE he moved into more and more of an overseer type role. Ole came in and immediately decided he would be hands off despite never having won anything of note...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Conte would be a disaster. He would fall out with the owners within a year and feck off leaving us in a worse situation.
Won a league and an FA cup in two years didn't he? The make-up of the squad looked fine for the prospective manager too. At Inter he only left because the owners were genuinely going to sell their player of the season and best right back and not support him in the market literally a season after winning the title.

I think the Conte fall out with board stuff is overstated. Most managers at the top level have a shelf life per club of anywhere from 2 to 5 years, really. Most gravitating toward the middle of that mark. It's just the nature of the top level.

arthurka

Whats Zidane up to these days?
But lets give Ole this season get on the blower with his friend Haaland and give a good word to him about how amazing United is.
Ole needs to get his shit together quickly these performances cannot continue to happen, we lack proper aggression for my liking.

AshRK

It is funny how after every loss people talk about his replacements or him getting the sack. Unless something really bad happens like us doing arsenal, can't see this board sacking him. He is here to stay.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Its hardly as though decent teams can't draw games against Barcelona and PSG. People are acting as if these should be automatic defeats. Reminds me of Arsenal these days when they play City and people dony even expect them to get anything.
Not really an excuse, the club's pursuit in the league domestically is to be able to qualify and compete in European competition. If the manager comes unstuck continually with no expectations of winning the league, what then is the point in having such a purpose to finish in the top 4 ?

The whole point of competing in the UCL is because it's the highest level of competition. It's more ridiculous excuses to cover what is none other than mediocre management in Europe. Ole as it stands is worse than Moyes in this regard.
I mean, sure if people were expecting the side that he inherited from Mou to beat PSG and barcelona, it'd make sense. 3 of those defeats came then.

Well yes, if we normalize losing to the mighty Leipzig then his record is fine. That's the problem; we don't actually expect him to do well. Even when we loose, its because its a normal thing. We lost to Leipzig because even though we wanted a draw, he set us so negatively and we end up losing 3-0 and then he decided to bring a defender who had played 150 minutes the whole season. We lost to Villareal, even though the whole world knew De Gea's embarrasing record in penalties, and yet he decided to stick with him. We lost to PSG, even though it was obvious that the PSG players were tilting Fred to get a red card and he did not react.
Leipzig is a competitive side, so I dont think losing to Leipzig is an upset. It's a 60-40 game at best so, one can't be disappointed at losing to them.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It is funny how after every loss people talk about his replacements or him getting the sack. Unless something really bad happens like us doing arsenal, can't see this board sacking him. He is here to stay.
That's kinda reality. Starting the league campaign good enough and carrying it to rest of the season is probably what main objective is. I don't think club's ready for any CL triumph just yet anyway. I'd love to see it, but that's just cold reality of today.

West Ham game will say a lot more of this team and management than trip to Wankdorf.

firstkuyttouch

Never suggested you should, little buddy. Maybe just take a break from football and cool off a bit, it's clearly not healthy for your psyche if it's driving you to hate people.
Patronize harder my good sir, do it more, be more patronizing. I dare you to reach the summit of patronizing by telling this poster they don’t get it, do it, do it now

snk123

Carrick and McKenna should not be absolved off the blame. Too many basic errors that none of the assistant coaches could guide Ole on? I don't believe that.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
At present another top club would not hire Ole. They would hire Klopp or Tuchel. But not Ole. Why is that the case? It is because of the football we are playing. Even if Ole won the PL Bayern would not hire him. Unless he radically changed how he plays the game. I am sorry and i love Ole as a legend. But that is the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.