Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viral United

Fair enough, we have if not a better squad than the others but at least equally good, then we have to be in the fight for the title till the end of the season. Not second with 12 points off the top, that is not challenging.
Agree we shouldn't be 12 point behind leader at end of season he should do better than that.
With this team we should do better.
Having said this, we shouldn't ask for his head if we knockout in CL QF round by any team. Even that team name is Villarreal.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Best manager in the prem.
:lol:
They have been blaming everything on the process of rebuilding. They ran out of excuses, but I wont be surprised if they find new excuses. He must deliver a big trophy this season. No buts or ifs.
You cant be manager of Manchester United for 3 seasons and win nothing, there are no excuses for that. Even more considering how much has been spent and the players at his disposal.

crossy1686

career ending

You cant be manager of Manchester United for 3 seasons and win nothing, there are no excuses for that. Even more considering how much has been spent and the players at his disposal.
Expectations have changed this season with the arrival of Ronaldo, and rightly so. We have to win something or be right in the mix for major trophies going into the final weeks of the season. However, one thing you can't level at Ole is this "he's spent a fortune" nonsense. Players now cost way more than they used to, that isn't Ole's fault nor is it any other managers fault. I'm sure if he had his own way we'd have only paid £10m for Sancho but that's not how it works, and it's not like we didn't need the players we've bought in the last few seasons, if it wasn't him buying them, it would have been another manager anyway.

Forget how much people have spent and look at turnover of players instead. It's far more alarming when a coach needs a whole new defence every two seasons rather than spending £100m on one player once a year.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We've looked more disjointed this season than each of the past two seasons under him. I guess the high squad turnover, Euros and the lack of proper preseason preparation plus international games in short duration are valid excuses but I never feared the side to have such a soft underbelly under Solskjær, especially with the addition of Varane. AWB, Fred and Maguire haven't started the season especially well either.

crossy1686

career ending
We've looked more disjointed this season than each of the past two seasons under him. I guess the high squad turnover, Euros and the lack of proper preseason preparation plus international games in short duration are valid excuses but I never feared the side to have such a soft underbelly under Solskjær, especially with the addition of Varane. AWB, Fred and Maguire haven't started the season especially well either.
Agreed. We played some pretty good stuff and hit good form from the 10th game on wards last season so let's hope something clicks in the coming weeks again.

Zen86

I don’t really see the point in judging Ole solely on whether he wins a trophy or not, “must win trophy or sack” is a bit daft in my eyes. The league cup and FA cup aren’t a great barometer of how good a job a manager is doing, just ask LVG. If Ole wins one of those then great, if not I’m not going to lose any sleep about it. I suspect most of those on here complaining about a lack of trophies won’t be overly sold on an FA Cup either.

What really matters is the league, to return to the PL powerhouse that we once were. That said, it’s a high bar considering the level of competition right now, so expecting us to win out over Chelsea, Liverpool, and City is a big ask. However, for the first time in years we have a squad actually capable winning it. The only thing we’re lacking is experience. If we don’t win the league this season, there needs to be a big big sign that we can go on to do it next year. We’re at the point now where a limp end to the season can’t really cut it and I’m sure Ole knows that more than anyone.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s disappointing there hasn’t been any silverware to show for it but if you showed me the position we would be in today back in December 2018 when he took over, the shape of our squad the blend of youth and experience, the positive atmosphere in the dressing room, our results, the amount of goals we are accumulating I’d have bitten your hand off even knowing there would be no silverware for 3 seasons.

We need a cup as a minimum this season though and we have to make progress with points in the league. I think 85+ with the midfield deficiencies taken into account is a fair expectation.

Dante

Average bang
The lack of pace up front is a huge shift which not a lot of people seem to be acknowledging.

For a few seasons, we had the fastest frontline in Europe with the likes of Rashford, (a less heavy) Martial and Dan James.

This season we're playing with Ronaldo, Pogba and Sancho. Better individually, but slow as arseholes.

United are having to learn a completely different way to transition into attack. Counter-attacking can't be our main strategy any more. Everything has to be much more deliberate through midfield.

It's exacerbated by not having Henderson in net, which means our defensive line has got deeper again like in the first half of last season.

Leeds were perfect for us because they left loads of space for our clever players to exploit. But against anyone who pushes up and stay compact (like Wolves or YB), we're naturally going to look like a disjointed bunch of strangers.

This is going to take time to get right. None of the other top teams have changed so much in such a short space of time. Luckily Ole is getting us through with dropping too many points.

rotherham_red

It only goes to show that there are lots of dumb and miserable folks out there. They seem to believe that if we lose it's because Ole's completely useless and has to go. But if we win, we are Individual Brillance FC.

There is also a gulf in how long time United supporters ie those pre-Fergie and those who joined during Fergie see how the club is being re-built/managed by Ole. And also why they support United.
100% this and it's the same on Twitter.

Opinionated University "data analysis" students who probably managed their Sunday League U12s team one summer and who were likely still swimming in their dad's ball sack when Ronaldo was last here.

They are awful, soul-sapping killjoys.

Olecurls99

So Fergie would have been gone in 89 then. I'm glad you're not in charge

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
100% this and it's the same on Twitter.

Opinionated University "data analysis" students who probably managed their Sunday League U12s team one summer and who were likely still swimming in their dad's ball sack when Ronaldo was last here.

They are awful, soul-sapping killjoys.
I remember watching this Dan geezer on AFTV/Lee Judges TV talking about that ''he's a winner'' and therefore he just cannot accept how Arteta is killing his club. They have that loser's mentality.
Its another version of how football fans like Ty, whose personal identities are directly tied up with their respective clubs. Club loses, it affects their self-esteem as opposed to our moods normally.

Or maybe it's an age thing where we have seen it; done it all and bought the fecking t-shirt factory. So it's easier to put things in perspective rather than being so hysterical after every loss.
We are as a fan base is much worse than the gooners. We came in 2nd and are showing clear signs of progression, (and they are stuck in mid-table and little glimpses of progression) -- and yet after every loss, the hysterics are embarrassing. Regardless, not exactly cool under fire characters.

Olecurls99

Entitlement is rife within our fan base. It’s like 3 of the best squads in Europe don’t play in the PL with us or something.
True. Its gonna be a smashing season. Possibly the best ever if all 4 come close to their potential.
80+ points for 4 teams seems on the cards. As long as we're one of them, I'm happy.

The entitled brigade can whinge but being competitive at the top is all we should want from our club.

Skåre Willoch

True. Its gonna be a smashing season. Possibly the best ever if all 4 come close to their potential.
80+ points for 4 teams seems on the cards. As long as we're one of them, I'm happy.

The entitled brigade can whinge but being competitive at the top is all we should want from our club.
100% agree. We don’t exist in a vacuum.

Ole90+3

The lack of pace up front is a huge shift which not a lot of people seem to be acknowledging.

For a few seasons, we had the fastest frontline in Europe with the likes of Rashford, (a less heavy) Martial and Dan James.

This season we're playing with Ronaldo, Pogba and Sancho. Better individually, but slow as arseholes.

United are having to learn a completely different way to transition into attack. Counter-attacking can't be our main strategy any more. Everything has to be much more deliberate through midfield.

It's exacerbated by not having Henderson in net, which means our defensive line has got deeper again like in the first half of last season.

Leeds were perfect for us because they left loads of space for our clever players to exploit. But against anyone who pushes up and stay compact (like Wolves or YB), we're naturally going to look like a disjointed bunch of strangers.

This is going to take time to get right. None of the other top teams have changed so much in such a short space of time. Luckily Ole is getting us through with dropping too many points.
Would you be happy to give Ole another year if no trophies are won? You’re way over exaggerating Sancho and Ronaldo’s lack of pace. Not to mention, the only games that we were really able to utilise our counter attacking were the matches against the top 6. Those weren’t the results that caused the failure in challenging for the title.
Honestly you’re post just sounds like more excuses for Ole apologetics to use if and when we have another disappointing season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We've been over this a million times. It's a silly argument.
No sports franchises with a long history has ever operated non cyclical. You can feel as entitled to something as you want.

I enjoy it when the club stays true to what it is, and what it is not is a short term patchwork club like our competitors. Even Klopp was given ample time to succeed.

captaincantona

So fans should be limited in their opinions to just supporting the team? So if he subs Jesse on and the lad scores a worldie resulting in a win you can praise him but if he subs the same lad on and plays a back pass to their striker which results in a loss fans should be quiet or else they Somehow think they are experts and get lambasted by the proper old school on here?

Been creeping on this site for 20 years I’d say, been a fan for over 30. Pre, post Fergie...who gives a fuk? I’m a football fan that has watched every game humanly possible since they started showing them on TV and listened to them on the radio/updated teletext frantically in the time before that. I know what I want to see from a Utd team. I don’t like the slow, pointless side to side. I Don’t like the over reliance on certain players because as it has happened over the years, you lose that player and your season is tanked. Our system relies on individuals and that’s why we drew 11 times last season, cause Lingard ain’t gonna smash in a cracker every time he is subbed on. Go look at your own comments in matchday threads last season after fuking getting beaten by Sheffield United. You all have short memories!

so yes, I’m a “proper” fan...no I don’t just look at “goals scored”and say “we are top of the league” after 3 games. I just watch football- see what I like...see what I don’t...compare the two and ask-could Ole/Utd, after 3 years, and how many millions, not look more consistent and purposeful in how they dominate games, attack teams, create chances? At the moment, we are a Hail Mary away from a draw every game so far bar the gift that is Leeds. At some point-that worldie hits the crossbar andwe are found out. Don’t think for a second Pool and Chelsea and possibly even City, will capitulate- that means, to be title contenders we need a better plan then “wanting it more”.
im going back to work now before I get crucified by the real Utd fans.

Giggsy13

Ole takes his fair share of abuse and criticism but he didn’t deserve it yesterday. Having McT back added some composure and stability to our midfield again. I thought we should’ve had 2 or 3 goals in the first half, we did well in breaking west ham down. Atkinson’s decisions were obviously horrid as well and this score line completely flattered west ham. Every one of the contenders will have games like this, but the fact we’re still grinding out 3 points anyways is a very good sign.

NewUser777

Ole takes his fair share of abuse and criticism but he didn’t deserve it yesterday. Having McT back added some composure and stability to our midfield again. I thought we should’ve had 2 or 3 goals in the first half, we did well in breaking west ham down. Atkinson’s decisions were obviously horrid as well and this score line completely flattered west ham. Every one of the contenders will have games like this, but the fact we’re still grinding out 3 points anyways is a very good sign.
Agree with you. I’ve heard a good assessment from a pundit, saying at this point, the top teams have had their players back late due to Euro20 and holidays. It will take some time before first teams are up to speed and in top shape. At this point, it’s all about not falling behind. I tend to agree. Let’s se how we play end where we are as the season progresses.

OmarUnited4ever

What really matters is the league, to return to the PL powerhouse that we once were. That said, it’s a high bar considering the level of competition right now, so expecting us to win out over Chelsea, Liverpool, and City is a big ask. However, for the first time in years we have a squad actually capable winning it. The only thing we’re lacking is experience. If we don’t win the league this season, there needs to be a big big sign that we can go on to do it next year. We’re at the point now where a limp end to the season can’t really cut it and I’m sure Ole knows that more than anyone.
Great Post this, Ole must at least challenge for the league and go toe to toe with Chelsea, City & Liverpool, which requires consistency in results at least

Dinghy

Ole's got a great squad now, so there are no excuses for why he didn't win any major throphies last season.

MattyLT

I get the more general in/out discussions - it's just people trying to predict the future based on what they perceive now, basically if they believe in the manager or not. It's always a perfectly legitimate discussion to have. What I don't get is this rush to do anything drastic with this squad/management/staff now, as if every moment Ole and his staff are here is an opportunity missed.

Relax. When things stagnate, the next hot shot manager is always going to be available for Manchester United. I see people keep mentioning Graham Potter. I can see why. I'd much rather him than Conte. But do you think Manchester United couldn't "lure" Graham Potter away from the mighty Brighton? Or the next CL over achieving manager named Juup Hümperdinkle?

Ole will probably get sacked eventually. After all, it's how most manager stints end, But so far, this team has been on an upward trajectory, and it's way to early to see whether this season is going to be a continuation of that. If this team, with all its good investment (in which the manager plays a part) doesn't keep on improving one season to the next, Ole goes, and someone else has a go. I just don't get the rush.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It’s disappointing there hasn’t been any silverware to show for it but if you showed me the position we would be in today back in December 2018 when he took over, the shape of our squad the blend of youth and experience, the positive atmosphere in the dressing room, our results, the amount of goals we are accumulating I’d have bitten your hand off even knowing there would be no silverware for 3 seasons.
Absolutely.

We're in better shape than at any point since SAF left - that much is obvious to anyone but people with bizarre agendas.

It's been said before but it bears repeating: if Ole left right now, the next man would inherit a group of players that potentially only need a slight tweak (and maybe as little as one new player in the starter category) to be top of the line.

ETA And should he fail to make the best out of this current group - and thus get his marching orders - the contrast to his predecessors will be huge, incomparably so: they all left extremely flawed squads behind in almost every sense.

Last edited:

largelyworried

I don’t really see the point in judging Ole solely on whether he wins a trophy or not, “must win trophy or sack” is a bit daft in my eyes. The league cup and FA cup aren’t a great barometer of how good a job a manager is doing, just ask LVG. If Ole wins one of those then great, if not I’m not going to lose any sleep about it. I suspect most of those on here complaining about a lack of trophies won’t be overly sold on an FA Cup either.

When Liverpool went from 4th to 2nd they showed that they'd elevated themselves to another level. It didn't matter that they didn't win the league, they were clearly City's equals from that point on (even ignoring the CL win). Despite finishing 2nd last yr, City were just as clearly a level above us still. That's what we need to see. I obviously want to win the league, but it's not the only sign of progression. A season where we give it a damn good go, winning high-pressure games and giving plenty of teams a bloody nose as we do, only to fall short by the end because of 2 or 3 results out of 38, that would show progress to me. Another season where we're out of the title race after 20 games would suggest we're at our ceiling.

Jibbs

Thank you for proving your agenda.

Even if he somehow wins the league. :lol:
So you already decided he wont get any credit cause probably it will be all thanks to the players. We are hearing that he gets no trophies and if he somehow wins it he wont be good nevertheless.

Absolutely ridiculous and posts like this are all what is wrong with this place nowadays. Not to mention you felt the need to post it after we won the game. I bet you had it prepared so it wont go to waste.
Because he is an average manager / coach who will take United nowhere. Same like Di Matteo or Lampard would have take Chelsea nowhere. A trophy here and there means nothing in greater scheme of things.

Last edited:

Jibbs

:lol: this is what United need and even if I am proven wrong and we win the league then I am still right because one manager lucked their way through a cup competition 9 years ago.
Even David Moyes would have won us something if he was backed the way Ole is backed in transfer market. Wouldn't have suddenly made Moyes a world class manager like Klopp, Pep or Tuchel.

Jibbs

When Liverpool went from 4th to 2nd they showed that they'd elevated themselves to another level. It didn't matter that they didn't win the league, they were clearly City's equals from that point on (even ignoring the CL win). Despite finishing 2nd last yr, City were just as clearly a level above us still. That's what we need to see. I obviously want to win the league, but it's not the only sign of progression. A season where we give it a damn good go, winning high-pressure games and giving plenty of teams a bloody nose as we do, only to fall short by the end because of 2 or 3 results out of 38, that would show progress to me. Another season where we're out of the title race after 20 games would suggest we're at our ceiling.
This.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Even David Moyes would have won us something if he was backed the way Ole is backed in transfer market. Wouldn't have suddenly made Moyes a world class manager like Klopp, Pep or Tuchel.
Oh wow you’re doubling down. Crikey.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yeah, like he ignored Tiago because he didn't do enough scouting.
I won't say Ole is a better manager than Moyes but he doesn't have that mentality. Ole has that mentality and to be honest, we need both. I would take Ole over Moyes any day though.

Olecurls99

Fair point. We should be 80+ with this squad and I reckon we will be. That should give you the challenge and competitiveness that you're after.

Jibbs

Fair point. We should be 80+ with this squad and I reckon we will be. That should give you the challenge and competitiveness that you're after.
No, we should be winning the title with this squad or the very least getting 90 plus points.

Jibbs

Yeah, like he ignored Tiago because he didn't do enough scouting.
I won't say Ole is a better manager than Moyes but he doesn't have that mentality. Ole has that mentality and to be honest, we need both. I would take Ole over Moyes any day though.
Tiago did not choose United as Pep came calling.

crossy1686

career ending
I think some of you have forgotten that we finished second last year, 8 points behind City on 74, got to a European cup final and were the second highest scorers in the country. All that with only a half fit Rashford, a 34 year old Cavani and Bruno proving he's one of the best AM's in Europe.

Give it 10 games before you start sticking the boot in about stuff that has yet to materialise.

Status
Not open for further replies.