Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgipep

If we're winning comfortably and players need minutes for match fitness then throw them on. It's better for their confidence to be part of a 4-1 win than it is to be bombed out of a cup game at home to West Ham. They also have to build a connection with the players that will play in the first team. What good is pairing Bailly up with Lindelöf if they won't partner again this season? What good is it playing Lingard behind Martial if Martial isn't starting games? Why play VDB next to Matic is Matic only comes on for the last 25 minutes in a normal game? So may questions to answer.
Games like yesterday's are used to:
1) give fringe players minutes
2) allow players to impress and stake a claim to get minutes in serious matches. From yesterday, I'd say Donny, Matic and Lingard (maybe Dalot) made serious claims to deserve a chance.

crossy1686

career ending
Games like yesterday's are used to:
1) give fringe players minutes
2) allow players to impress and stake a claim to get minutes in serious matches. From yesterday, I'd say Donny, Matic and Lingard (maybe Dalot) made serious claims to deserve a chance.
We can still do that and field Greenwood, Bruno and Maguire for 45 minutes...

Why does it have to be A team or B team? How is Donny going to play alongside Pogba or with Bruno? We don't know so we can't chuck him into a big game because they don't know each others game well enough.

georgipep

We can still do that and field Greenwood, Bruno and Maguire for 45 minutes...

Why does it have to be A team or B team? How is Donny going to play alongside Pogba or with Bruno? We don't know so we can't chuck him into a big game because they don't know each others game well enough.
Ole rarely plays an entire B team. Yesterday was a rare occasion. I was surprised that Bruno didn't play, tbh, but was also quite happy as he plays almost every game.

And the only reason we are debating this today is because we lost. If Moss gives the penalty, it's 1:1,we were so on top of them that I'm 99% certain we would've crushed them. With the B team.

crossy1686

career ending
Ole rarely plays an entire B team. Yesterday was a rare occasion. I was surprised that Bruno didn't play, tbh, but was also quite happy as he plays almost every game.

And the only reason we are debating this today is because we lost. If Moss gives the penalty, it's 1:1,we were so on top of them that I'm 99% certain we would've crushed them. With the B team.
I'm not really bothered about the Carabao cup, it's one of those things that's nice to win if you win a bunch of other stuff as well. I'm concerned about the lack of thinking that is going into team selections. We haven't looked cohesive at all this season so far, and last night was a chance to get some consistency between key players, but instead we're giving Mata a testimonial and letting the Bailly circus run free.

I'm sure things will click in a month or so but I don't see the point in letting games fall by the wayside when they're actually competitive. That team last night was a team you'd pick for a friendly. Doing shit like this is what is going to get Solskjaer sacked, I promise you. By the time December comes round he'll be picking the same 11 every game anyway so it will have been pointless to give some of these players minutes last night.

RooneyLegend

Why didn't we bother to play with a right winger yesterday? Ole needs to hire a coach and move upstairs where he can focus on squad building.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why didn't we bother to play with a right winger yesterday? Ole needs to hire a coach and move upstairs where he can focus on squad building.
Ole as DOF would be fantastic. Could even make it look like he’s “stepping down” as head coach to move upstairs. There’s no need for it to be awkward or nasty, but we need to start actually winning stuff now & it’s becoming more & more clear Ole won’t do that.

rotherham_red

Sometimes the best team doesn't win. United were by far the better team last night, Mata's shot in the first half was fantastic, Noble pulled Lingard down in the box and in any other game, especially one with VAR, that would have been a pen. Matic, Sancho and VdB all had good moments and good chances.

This wasn't a shit show from United, you deserved to at least level after the first half, their 3 big chances at the end weren't the result of bad play, just a result of pushing ten men up the pitch in a huge push to score and actually Henderson made a great save at the end there as well. The better team lost, that was a total smash and grab from West Ham.
Spot on mate. I was at the game and couldn't believe the shit I was hearing on the radio coming out of the ground, and today when I logged in to the caf. We were by no means perfect but that was IMO a better performance than the one we had on Sunday.

I just hope that the players who did well (Bailly, Lindelof, VdB, Matic, Dalot) did enough to stake their claims in the first team squad moving forwards now that we don't have this avenue to give them game time. I'll cut Telles some slack as that was his first game back from injury but Martial needs to do so much better. And Lingard too.

AshRK

My worry is if we don't big this season then what's the point. Ronaldo is not getting any younger, Cavani won't be younger, Pogba may not be here next year, Bruno, Varane and Maguire are at their peak. So say we finish 3rd with 78 points with zero trophies, what is the use. I feel Ole should deliver something to ve counted as progress. Just finishing outside top 4 and winning a FA cup would be a failure. Just finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th without being involved in an actual title race will be a failure. Expectations should be higher now. We can't judge him like a person who is still cleaning Jose's mess. That ship has long sailed.

RooneyLegend

Ole as DOF would be fantastic. Could even make it look like he’s “stepping down” as head coach to move upstairs. There’s no need for it to be awkward or nasty, but we need to start actually winning stuff now & it’s becoming more & more clear Ole won’t do that.
Yup and we could put it as him hiring a coach of his choice to take over that side of things. Its completely ridiculous to expect him to compete for titles against Pep, Klopp and Tuchel.

RooneyLegend

My worry is if we don't big this season then what's the point. Ronaldo is not getting any younger, Cavani won't be younger, Pogba may not be here next year, Bruno, Varane and Maguire are at their peak. So say we finish 3rd with 78 points with zero trophies, what is the use. I feel Ole should deliver something to ve counted as progress. Just finishing outside top 4 and winning a FA cup would be a failure. Just finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th without being involved in an actual title race will be a failure. Expectations should be higher now. We can't judge him like a person who is still cleaning Jose's mess. That ship has long sailed.
Ole doesn't have the coaching acumen to do all of that, We've got Carrick and co going up against some top class coaches, we're asking for trouble.

AshRK

Ole doesn't have the coaching acumen to do all of that, We've got Carrick and co going up against some top class coaches, we're asking for trouble.
Then the board should do the right thing and replace him. I admire Ole stabilizing this squad but we can't keep on hanging to that line. His job is not just to revamp and have a brilliant squad. It's also to win. Otherwise we are just wasting everyone's time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yup and we could put it as him hiring a coach of his choice to take over that side of things. Its completely ridiculous to expect him to compete for titles against Pep, Klopp and Tuchel.
I’m not sure about Ole hiring the coach. I don’t particularly want to see Phil Neville on the old Trafford touch line :lol:

RedMilo

Always been pro-Ole, but he is starting to sound like Moyes in press conferences and interviews i.e. out of his depth..

We gave it a good go, is not enough for Manchester United, yes he has to give minutes to his second string and yes he has to protect them when they fail to deliver but listening to him he doesn't inspire confidence with his words, both to his players and supporters alike. The Ronaldo effect, may be his downfall, because there is a greater expectation now on him to win something and I think to dawning on him, hence the words he is using - he is under pressure this season to deliver!

RooneyLegend

Then the board should do the right thing and replace him. I admire Ole stabilizing this squad but we can't keep on hanging to that line. His job is not just to revamp and have a brilliant squad. It's also to win. Otherwise we are just wasting everyone's time.
Thats why he should move upstairs. We spent half the decade with managers absolutely throwing club funds away. He atleast has gotten us some quality despite completely neglecting midfield. On the DOF side of things hes done a decent job, time to bring someone in who can sort out the coaching.

Mainoldo

When did i say that? I just said out of Conte vs Ole - I feel Ole can bring Haaland here because he wanted him here for a long time and he has bought big name/game players.

I just want that to continue for a bit more but I obviously can't see the future. That is all.
Why would Conte a man who begged to have Lukaku at Chelsea and Inter wouldn’t want Haaland?

georgipep

I'm not really bothered about the Carabao cup, it's one of those things that's nice to win if you win a bunch of other stuff as well. I'm concerned about the lack of thinking that is going into team selections. We haven't looked cohesive at all this season so far, and last night was a chance to get some consistency between key players, but instead we're giving Mata a testimonial and letting the Bailly circus run free.

I'm sure things will click in a month or so but I don't see the point in letting games fall by the wayside when they're actually competitive. That team last night was a team you'd pick for a friendly. Doing shit like this is what is going to get Solskjaer sacked, I promise you. By the time December comes round he'll be picking the same 11 every game anyway so it will have been pointless to give some of these players minutes last night.
Exactly because soon he will start playing his strongest team, Ole needed to give the rest a chance. And as you say, the Carabao is a throwaway competition we can afford ignoring, so the entire thing was a squad morale exercise. If they won, great, they'll get another game (although if the draw was the same and we got City, it would be a much stronger XI). Now that they've lost it means a lot of them will not play again until Young Boys at home (and only if we have won all other games up to that one) or the FA cup.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Why would Conte a man who begged to have Lukaku at Chelsea and Inter wouldn’t want Haaland?
I never said that he wouldn't want him. I said that Haaland might not want to work with Conte at United over the other managers. Then there is Ole at United - a manager who has wanted him at United from the start and Haaland himself said would have moved to United if more people at United wanted him, if I remember correctly.

I mean to me - Haaland seemed to have rejected Chelsea and Tuchel; everyone's absolute love child at the moment. Maybe he has decided where he wants to move to already - all I'm saying is that if that is us (it might not be); bringing in conte in before he moves may not be the best.

Ole's done a DOF's job as a manager and its been good to see us improve our squad quality but not good to see our management of them be average. I just wouldn't mind seeing the DOF finish his job especially if the manager incoming is someone like Conte.

lex talionis

We already knew Martial and Mata were finished as United players long ago.

Ole knew as well. But when ya sanction £400k a week in contracts for two players you have to play them somewhere.
At the very least, club management should strip the Balon d’Or clause in Martial’s contract.

On a more serious note, last night Martial and Mata proved beyond doubt they’ve got nothing left to offer the squad. It was really painful to watch. With Mata we know of course age has caught him, but Martial’s abysmal performance was beyond all belief.

The Uncle of All Uncles

I genuinely think he won't be here this time next year. I cannot see a major trophy coming this season, no matter how much I'd like to.

Progress is progress, and he's done very well in some aspects of the job. But another trophyless season is just one too many for a club of this stature. It might sound entitled, but the rebuild cannot go on indefinitely.

Giggsy13

So who are the best options to take over? Imo and in no particular order: Zidane, Allegri or Rodgers. I think these 3 would get the best out of our squad.

Womp

idiot
So who are the best options to take over? Imo and in no particular order: Zidane, Allegri or Rodgers. I think these 3 would get the best out of our squad.
I think Conte will be amongst the top of the list, even though I don't think he'd be the best appointment. Potter and Hassenhuttl would be interesting options too - but I think it'd be too big a step up for them to be considered.

Giggsy13

I think Conte will be amongst the top of the list, even though I don't think he'd be the best appointment. Potter and Hassenhuttl would be interesting options too - but I think it'd be too big a step up for them to be considered.
Conte as a short term option would be ideal though it will be inevitably be an ugly ending. I think Zidane makes a lot of sense with Ronaldo, Pogba and Varane here.

lilcurt

Conte as a short term option would be ideal though it will be inevitably be an ugly ending. I think Zidane makes a lot of sense with Ronaldo, Pogba and Varane here.
I'm just not convinced by Zidane, crazy with his CL record but always thought he needs things to go completely his way to be successful. I don't think he would be a massive improvement over Ole.

For me Conte is the one for immediate success and maybe he would stick around if the board continue to back him.

Mainoldo

I never said that he wouldn't want him. I said that Haaland might not want to work with Conte at United over the other managers. Then there is Ole at United - a manager who has wanted him at United from the start and Haaland himself said would have moved to United if more people at United wanted him, if I remember correctly.

I mean to me - Haaland seemed to have rejected Chelsea and Tuchel; everyone's absolute love child at the moment. Maybe he has decided where he wants to move to already - all I'm saying is that if that is us (it might not be); bringing in conte in before he moves may not be the best.

Ole's done a DOF's job as a manager and its been good to see us improve our squad quality but not good to see our management of them be average. I just wouldn't mind seeing the DOF finish his job especially if the manager incoming is someone like Conte.
I get that. But Haaland in my eyes doesn't care who the manager is otherwise he would of come here over Dortmund because Ole wanted him and United offered him good money. It's more about what is best for his career. If he feels that's at United it will be regardless of it Ole is the manager or not. He's in that mold now where every club in Europe would want him. I don't think Conte or any other manager we would get would upset that.

But I get you're point I just don't think it's as valid as you believe it is and that's only because I don't think Ole has any sway on what Haaland does. I do think his next club is England though and who gets him will be down to their wage packet on offer and the potential to win honors. City would be a scary shout. Hopefully they still want Kane.

macheda14

I get that. But Haaland in my eyes doesn't care who the manager is otherwise he would of come here over Dortmund because Ole wanted him and United offered him good money. It's more about what is best for his career. If he feels that's at United it will be regardless of it Ole is the manager or not. He's in that mold now where every club in Europe would want him. I don't think Conte or any other manager we would get would upset that.

But I get you're point I just don't think it's as valid as you believe it is and that's only because I don't think Ole has any sway on what Haaland does. I do think his next club is England though and who gets him will be down to their wage packet on offer and the potential to win honors. City would be a scary shout. Hopefully they still want Kane.
Haaland didn’t come because his father and him felt only Ole wanted him and he was about to be sacked.

Mainoldo

Haaland didn’t come because his father and him felt only Ole wanted him and he was about to be sacked.
So Ole alone wasn't enough to get him here? That's all I heard from this. What was he scared of? The new manager would choice Rashford and Martial over him?

crossy1686

career ending
Exactly because soon he will start playing his strongest team, Ole needed to give the rest a chance. And as you say, the Carabao is a throwaway competition we can afford ignoring, so the entire thing was a squad morale exercise. If they won, great, they'll get another game (although if the draw was the same and we got City, it would be a much stronger XI). Now that they've lost it means a lot of them will not play again until Young Boys at home (and only if we have won all other games up to that one) or the FA cup.
See that's where I disagree, no he does not need to give anyone a chance that is not pulling massive tricks in training. This isn't primary school, there's no participation award, a place is earned, it's a reward for being better than those currently selected for first team places. That kind of attitude will cost him his job, he simply cannot think that way if we want to win things. It also completely undermines getting selected in these types of games if you know the gaffer is only picking you because he hasn't played you in a while.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So Ole alone wasn't enough to get him here? That's all I heard from this. What was he scared of? The new manager would choice Rashford and Martial over him?
Well that’s a feckin dumb take

Giggsy13

I'm just not convinced by Zidane, crazy with his CL record but always thought he needs things to go completely his way to be successful. I don't think he would be a massive improvement over Ole.

For me Conte is the one for immediate success and maybe he would stick around if the board continue to back him.
Zidane won the league without Ronaldo. As a manager he’s criminally underrated. Zidane as a fit makes the most sense.

Mainoldo

Well that’s a feckin dumb take
He didn't want to come because the club didn't want him enough?

Paying the amount Salzburg wanted and giving him more wages than Dortmund... What did Ed do tell him we don't really want you mate we only doing all this because Ole said your kind of alright?

Make it make sense Pexbo...

crossy1686

career ending
He didn't want to come because the club didn't want him enough?

Paying the amount Salzburg wanted and giving him more wages than Dortmund... What did Ed do tell him we don't really want you mate we only doing all this because Ole said your kind of alright?

Make it make sense Pexbo...
Didn't Ed and Solskajer fly out to see him in Norway?

macheda14

They thought Ole was about to be sacked - January of 2020 it wasn’t looking great for him if you remember. Maybe read my post.

Mainoldo

They thought Ole was about to be sacked - January of 2020 it wasn’t looking great for him if you remember. Maybe read my post.
I know what you said but I don't get what that had to do with his decision. The club wanted the player. I get it Ole was the manager when he broke through. But United is bigger than Ole and i'm sure the decision was based on what was best for him not that a manager who isn't SAF or Pep might be there or not be there.

It's like Rooney turning down us because David Moyes might be sacked. Rooney don't care about Moyes and Haaland doesn't care about Ole.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Ole did the right thing not playing the first team yesterday.
Though we lost the best thing I saw was Dalot and Donny can be a big part of this season.
Donny certainly is now one of the four we need in CM.

I expect Fred and McT to start Saturday.
But Donny is certainly another option instead of just Matic.

Glad we kept Dalot. Not sure if AWB will miss 3 matches but he certainly can cover for him.

He should once again keep first team players out in the FA Cup unless we have to play one of the top teams.
Our focus should be the title.
After 5 games we are tied with Chelsea and Liverpool.
We have a good chance with this squad.

macheda14

I know what you said but I don't get what that had to do with his decision. The club wanted the player. I get it Ole was the manager when he broke through. But United is bigger than Ole and i'm sure the decision was based on what was best for him not that a manager who isn't SAF or Pep might be there or not be there.

It's like Rooney turning down us because David Moyes might be sacked. Rooney don't care about Moyes and Haaland doesn't care about Ole.
It’s not solely on it just being Ole it was about instability at the club. With Ole there they knew he would play Haaland, if he was sacked they were unsure whether the next manager would trust the older players more. I mean this being one of the main reasons has been widely reported even mentioned a few times on the Athletic podcast by Andy Mitten who has good ties with the club.

Going to Dortmund they pretty much had assurances he would be their main number 9 upon signing. If Haaland was a year younger and it was January 2021 he almost definitely would have signed as Ole’s job and the club structure looked very stable then.

fergieisold

What are you on about? We're a few weeks into the season and level on points at the top of the league. Give the man a chance for gods sake!

Status
Not open for further replies.