Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

Think he is creating his own downfall with not addressing the midfield area.
He had a chance in the summer to bring in a top midfielder and he wouldn't, and before anyone say he couldn't without selling.?
Martial, Dalot, Bailly, and Lingard, could have all went to clubs who were interested in them, and we could have brought in Tchouameni or someone else.
I also feel that Garner could have done a better job than Fred, instead of sending him out on loan.

Green Arrow

He had a chance in the summer to bring in a top midfielder and he wouldn't, and before anyone say he couldn't without selling.?
Martial, Dalot, Bailly, and Lingard, could have all went to clubs who were interested in them, and we could have brought in Tchouameni or someone else.
I also feel that Garner could have done a better job than Fred, instead of sending him out on loan.
Matic is our our number 6 at the moment and obviously much better suited than Fred. You are right he should have addressed the midfield area this transfer window. If Matic can't play 2 games a week why is he here at the club he should have gone and we should have gotten a new CDM.

I think sending Garner out on loan to a premier league club next season will do him better he will get more game time than he would here at Utd if Ole is still in charge.

Bestietom

Matic is our our number 6 at the moment and obviously much better suited than Fred. You are right he should have addressed the midfield area this transfer window. If Matic can't play 2 games a week why is he here at the club he should have gone and we should have gotten a new CDM.

I think sending Garner out on loan to a premier league club next season will do him better he will get more game time than he would here at Utd if Ole is still in charge.
Matic and Fred should have been sold in the summer.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He knows how to bounce back. Usually when there's this much negativity about him we are in a lower position on the table and then he turns it around

JoaquinJoaquin

Come on bud. You make it sound all doom and gloom. We’re near top of table and have been playing well.

The middle of the park ain’t quite sorted but we look exciting going forward.

This team was aimless under Moyes / didn’t attack under LVG / No cohesion whatsoever under JM.

OSG has pretty much built a new team with a Utd mentality. He’s goin pretty well so far.

Admittedly they have to achieve this season but there’s little to suggest they won’t.

A defeat against a good Villa side (definitely an offside goal) ain’t the end of the world.

The team was pants when OGS first arrived, let’s not forget how bad it actually was!

Have faith, stay positive and be healthy brother
This post is a new level of delusion.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Shining examples mate. Aside from Pep, what exactly did their respective clubs do? If it ain't working, it's about damn time to move on.
The point was that all big clubs make gambles on managers. Most clubs have had about 20 managers in the last 30 years and nearly all of them have done feck all.

The fact of the matter is not all clubs can remain successful like Chelsea by changing managers every couple of years.

romufc

Come on bud. You make it sound all doom and gloom. We’re near top of table and have been playing well.

This team was aimless under Moyes / didn’t attack under LVG / No cohesion whatsoever under JM.

OSG has pretty much built a new team with a Utd mentality. He’s goin pretty well so far.

Admittedly they have to achieve this season but there’s little to suggest they won’t.

A defeat against a good Villa side (definitely an offside goal) ain’t the end of the world.

The team was pants when OGS first arrived, let’s not forget how bad it actually was!

We give Ole credit for getting the United Mentality and the like but lets not forget its taken him 3 years to get to this point, its nothing special in that sense.

We are near the top of the table but we most definitely have not played well.

Oh stop complaining about the offside, its a 50/50 call and DDG was never getting to it anyway.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
So you've wanted him out for the last 2.5 years and was only willing to give him 2/3 months before you decided his fate?

jesus christ
Ole is a conundrum. He gets results without generally playing good football. Of course there are exceptions but on the whole his style of football hasn't adhered to a lot of supporters almost from the get go.

Of course he rose the expectations a lot in is first 2 or 3 months in charge. Put it down to great coaching or the feel good factor after Mou it doesn't matter, people have their own opinions but my first doubts about him entered when he changed the formation from a very workable 4-3-3 to a very defensive 4-2-3-1 as soon as we had something to play for which was top 4. Then came the infamous PSG game which changed the dynamic about how people perceived Ole. Some wanted to board the Ole train without reservations while others wanted to wait. The club played on the fans feelings and gave Ole the permanent gig once that bubble started to burst and boy did it burst big-time the rest of that season.

People who've had reservations about him from the start (myself included) find it hard to fully get behind him. Just when we think he's turned the corner with some great results, bang, we have a run of horrible performances and it's back to square one again. I'm not saying sack him now because he does deserve the season (or until it becomes obvious he isn't good enough) after he put the squad together but I think it was an absolutely ridiculous decision to extend his contract when we did. We just don't learn. If we did Ole probably wouldn't have got the gig in the first place if we had of waited until the end of his first season.

MrBest

Runners up last season / near top of the table at present / Defence looking rock solid for the first time in years / exciting players brought in to play the United way / far more offensive than any team since SAF’s reign.

But you still don’t trust OGS.

Comedy gold!
No i do not trust Ole to tactically take this team to the next level. I see Ole as a strategist and as I suggested in my first line, he has mostly delivered. He fixed the culture, brought in better players but i question why we did not shift deadwood, Mata, Lingard, Jones, Bailey etc. After a strategy you need to apply tactics and the operations to deliver this. I see none of this on the pitch, we play for that golden moment in the game, no style of play. If you was going to dig in harder around style of play, you could say cut throat attacking football, as Fergie did between 2009 and 2013. We are nowhere near that level and we struggle to move the ball fast up the pitch despite having very pacy players.

The Man utd way is not only playing for the badge and playing attacking football, it is the demand players put on themselves and others. Do you see De Gea screeming at his backline for not closing down a player, do you see Maguire demanding his players push up the pitch, do you see Bruno telling Mcfred to move the ball faster up the pitch? We effectively silenced Ronaldo at home to Villa, that is an embarrassment. Ive been waiting for 3 years for United to click, to see an end to the constant ups and down. Every game i go in with hope, this is the day Ole has fixed, the coaches have worked on our weaknesses all week, but no. We start games slow, as we did 3 years ago, there are huge gaps between midfield and attack, as was the case 3 years ago and set pieces are still nervy.

Im tired of reading posts like yours that go back in history and say well we finished 2nd, we are near the top now, blah blah. Last year was last year, i think we were lucky to finish 2nd but ill take it. We lost the europa league final to a team that had never won a trophey before, we didnt look like winning. The start this season has been okay, we played well in one game and that was at Leeds. Newcastle was okay, the Ronaldo effect prevailed. Since then, we have lost 3 out of 4. In the 8 games we have played this season so far, we have 1 clean sheet. Im not sure what solid defence you are referencing. Most of the top teams have played 2 or 3 of each other, we have them all coming up in the next 6 weeks. That spell will determine if we challenge or not for the title. Don't concern yourself with our position now, let's see what happens by December. Can you confidently say we will be comfortably sitting in the top 4? Still challenging for the title? From what I have seen in the last 5 games, i say no. We got schooled by Villa, who had a plan and they executed it. They supposedly have lesser players, ours are twice the value and three times the wage, yet the look like minions.

I don't mind all the backing Ole has with fans, but think to yourself that we are now approaching his 3rd full year, are we settled? Do we actually have a style of play (you think we do, i would love to hear your description), are the players going above and beyond?

MrBest

Ole is a conundrum. He gets results without generally playing good football. Of course there are exceptions but on the whole his style of football hasn't adhered to a lot of supporters almost from the get go.

Of course he rose the expectations a lot in is first 2 or 3 months in charge. Put it down to great coaching or the feel good factor after Mou it doesn't matter, people have their own opinions but my first doubts about him entered when he changed the formation from a very workable 4-3-3 to a very defensive 4-2-3-1 as soon as we had something to play for which was top 4. Then came the infamous PSG game which changed the dynamic about how people perceived Ole. Some wanted to board the Ole train without reservations while others wanted to wait. The club played on the fans feelings and gave Ole the permanent gig once that bubble started to burst and boy did it burst big-time the rest of that season.

People who've had reservations about him from the start (myself included) find it hard to fully get behind him. Just when we think he's turned the corner with some great results, bang, we have a run of horrible performances and it's back to square one again. I'm not saying sack him now because he does deserve the season (or until it becomes obvious he isn't good enough) after he put the squad together but I think it was an absolutely ridiculous decision to extend his contract when we did. We just don't learn. If we did Ole probably wouldn't have got the gig in the first place if we had of waited until the end of his first season.
Agree with your messaging. His reign has been, 5 to 10 games with good results, performance sometimes questionable, the next 10 games awful, some draws few wins and losses. For a top team, consistency is key. We still do not have that, 3 years and counting.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Even if we are high up the table and always have more possession than the other we are still unconvincing as title contenders. City face Everton and most here would expect a City win. We face Everton and you'd see people call them a tricky side or how Richarlison can cause problems

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
It looks very hard to qualify in CL. Does third still go into Europa league? If so that might be our best way to win a trophy.
Yes. Surely Solskjaer would be sacked immediately if United fail to make it out of their Champions League group.

JoaquinJoaquin

Yes. Surely Solskjaer would be sacked immediately if United fail to make it out of their Champions League group.
He should, but I fear he won't be. Think unless he really struggles in this gauntlet of fixtures we have coming up in the next 2 months (i.e 1 or 2 wins), he will get until the end of the season at least.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
True, but i think the problem of not being able to move on players goes well beyond Ole.

The accumulation of, and inability to clear unwanted players has long preceded him and will probably keep being a problem once they leave as well. Besides the complete firesale we had under LvG, the club seems very reluctant to part with their "assets" unless they get a kings ransom for them.

Just look at Jones, whom we had on our books for about a decade now, while its clear that hes not an important part of any of the managers plans. Wy havent we been able to sell him?

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
More interesting does 4th qualify for the Conference league ? Now thats a trophy Ole would have a cracking chance at. Imagine Ronaldo lifting that :lol:

skc_18

This post is a new level of delusion.
I don't think so. If Bruno scored the penalty and if their goal was judged offside, we would have been top of the table. What it tells is at this stage, top of table does not mean anything.
We started last season against similar teams too, and I feel we started better this season compared to last season. Could it have been even better , yes sure.
Our team in past few seasons excelled against big 6 so if he still holds that record this season , we should be okay.

What Ole got it wrong last few games is his team selection. His preferred line-up has 3 CMs+1 AMs(Fred,Scott, pogba , Bruno) with aging CF and a young winger and its not working against mid-table teams.
People spared him last season for not giving Donny more games, but this season with midfield being the weakest link I don't know if people will accept that.
If we play Donny/Sancho instead of Fred/Scott then we will be more attacking and will win more against mid-table teams.

AFC NimbleThumb

Someone who is such a stickler for facts should probably take more care to put the correct points total in their post, no? Just a thought
I’m not a stickler for facts though. I’d check my post history for grammar & spelling before trying condescension in the future. Just a thought of course.

Back to being ‘completely honest’, says a lot you’ve try to subvert the discussion from the nonsense you posted. Feel free to address that at any time though.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
People need to stop giving him credit for “bouncing back”. He shouldn’t need to be constantly bouncing back 3 years into the job. He has Ronaldo, Greenwood, Cavani, Sancho, Bruno, Pogba, Shaw, Varane etc…. Why is he needing to bounce back from two cup losses to Young Boys and West Ham and league loss at home to Villa.

If any of those results were in isolation and the team was playing well, it happens. But they are not in isolation, the team is not playing well and the constant rocky nature of form and performances means we miss out on competing for every single trophy. We are never far away from a Villarreal, Leicester, Villa, Young Boys etc…

It shouldn’t be acceptable at this stage and he shouldn’t keep getting credit for bouncing back from self dug holes. If he doesn’t get out of the group stage once again, he should be gone the same night. It’s Manchester United, there has to be some sort of consistent standard.

Sviken

13 from 6 is not shockingly bad even despite the fixtures. It's neither exceptionally good as well. It's right at the par level. The thing is big teams will drop points vs smaller teams and they will continue to do so consistently. It's happened every year, and will continue to happen. As long as we get 14 from the next 7, even though we'd end up a few points behind leaders, I'd be quite comfortable in the title race, because our games post that Chelsea/Arsenal game are all favourable and we should go on a run there
How do you propose we get these 14 points from the next 7 when our next fixtures are Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, Chelsea, Leicester, etc? That'd be almost as good as the points we currently have from West Ham, Aston Villa, Southampton, Leeds, Wolves, Newcastle, etc. Unlike Chelsea, Liverpool and City, we have not played any tough fixtures so far and that is why it is so disappointing that we already find ourselves in 4th place.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Bloody hell, i don't think that we watch same team. Btw, love "Utd" mentality phrase. That never gets old.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Although we’ve already seen this season a handful of performances that range from underwhelming to downright crap, Ole should be given a chance to get into a groove as it’s way too early to pull the trigger on a sacking.

Having said that, the club should be looking for a replacement behind the scenes and be ready with a replacement because I’ve a feeling things can go very wrong very quickly from what has been produced so far.

JoaquinJoaquin

I don't think so. If Bruno scored the penalty and if their goal was judged offside, we would have been top of the table. What it tells is at this stage, top of table does not mean anything.
We started last season against similar teams too, and I feel we started better this season compared to last season. Could it have been even better , yes sure.
Our team in past few seasons excelled against big 6 so if he still holds that record this season , we should be okay.

What Ole got it wrong last few games is his team selection. His preferred line-up has 3 CMs+1 AMs(Fred,Scott, pogba , Bruno) with aging CF and a young winger and its not working against mid-table teams.
People spared him last season for not giving Donny more games, but this season with midfield being the weakest link I don't know if people will accept that.
If we play Donny/Sancho instead of Fred/Scott then we will be more attacking and will win more against mid-table teams.
That is a alot of IF's and BUT's.

Even if Bruno scored the penalty, it would of papered over the cracks that we were second best at home against a Villa side who could of easily had 3 goals themselves. We have started this season very poor, and aside from the anomaly which was Leeds, could of easily lost all the other games that we haven't lost in. Even Newcastle had chances, which if they took, would of swung the momentum of that game very differently.

It's not just the last few games his team selection has been bad though is it? This is the same thing we have spoken about for a long time now. How many times has he played McFred against inferior opposition because he is scared? Ole is still unable to beat teams who play a low block, and seemingly isn't tactically astute to be able to ever remedy this. Even if he starts Donny, with no game plan and tactics it probably won't make a lot of difference.

Giggsy13

Runners up last season / near top of the table at present / Defence looking rock solid for the first time in years / exciting players brought in to play the United way / far more offensive than any team since SAF’s reign.

But you still don’t trust OGS.

Comedy gold!
We haven’t held a clean sheet at home in 8 consecutive home league games and you call that rock solid? Our record would be far worse if it wasn’t for some De Gea brilliance to start the season. Our back 4 after roughly £200 million spent is still a work in progress.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Although we’ve already seen this season a handful of performances that range from underwhelming to downright crap, Ole should be given a chance to get into a groove as it’s way too early to pull the trigger on a sacking.

Having said that, the club should be looking for a replacement behind the scenes and be ready with a replacement because I’ve a feeling things can go very wrong very quickly from what has been produced so far.
This is how I feel as well.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I want Ole to succeed. I worry that it is like wanting George McFly to knock out Biff Tannen.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Why does he speak like a pundit observing United from afar in press conferences? His latest comments about the points needed to get out of the group stage sound like he’s making an assessment or he’s worried we won’t actually win the game tomorrow.

Just say we have to get a good result tomorrow otherwise we can forget the second round. Who’s he trying to protect? If the players are too fragile to know it’s a must win game they really shouldn’t be playing for us and he really shouldn’t be picking them.

L1nk

He’s making it really hard to like him, how can he not see what literally everyone else see’s in our matches, i expect more piss poor performances if we play with these 2 as CDM

largelyworried

He’s making it really hard to like him, how can he not see what literally everyone else see’s in our matches, i expect more piss poor performances if we play with these 2 as CDM
He should have prioritised midfield in the summer. However, now that we're here, what choice does he have? Matic looks knackered after a couple of games and Pogba is, at best, very inconsistent in that position. And its not like Ole can say "They're shite, but they're all I've got".

Kaos

The United twitter admin knew exactly what they were doing with that tweet :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
He should have prioritised midfield in the summer. However, now that we're here, what choice does he have? Matic looks knackered after a couple of games and Pogba is, at best, very inconsistent in that position. And its not like Ole can say "They're shite, but they're all I've got".
Well he apparently told the players in pre season that we were switching to one DM this season and going more attacking. Maybe Ronaldo changed that plan but it’s weird that he abandoned those plans pretty much right away after announcing a change would happen.

RkkMan

This is the type of statement we'd slander Moyes for saying

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I am a huge fan of Ole the player and have been his defender as our manager but today's interview was the last straw. Stubbornly doubling down on McFred even after everything and refusing to reflect on or admit any of his mistakes clearly demonstrates how arrogant and limited he is.

We will not be successful with Ole. Saying this pains me but it is abundantly obvious now.

largelyworried

Well he apparently told the players in pre season that we were switching to one DM this season and going more attacking. Maybe Ronaldo changed that plan but it’s weird that he abandoned those plans pretty much right away after announcing a change would happen.
Indeed. Maybe he thought he had another DM lined up? Maybe he thought Pogba would go and we'd be playing VDB or someone else alongside Bruno? It seemed odd at the time given our personnel.

Terminator2017

For me, Ole is a club legend, many games have been won because of his place in the team both now as a manager and back then too, as a player. I can tell you right now that CR7 would not have come back to us if not for the influence and stature of the manager we now have. Indeed it is true that Ronny speaks very highly of both Ole as a person Ole as a player and last but certainly not least, Ole as a coach. We won't get better by sacking him, if we do we will be going back to aquare one and that is not the Manchester United way, we need to give him more time, we gave SAF more time and look what he ended up doing for us. Ole has the full backing of the board and SAF so I do not expect him to get sacked anytime soon, look at the table we are almost top and still in the top four on equal points and we almost won the Europa league with Ole at the wheel last season, lets give him more time guys, as much time as he needs.

Mickson

We haven’t held a clean sheet at home in 8 consecutive home league games and you call that rock solid? Our record would be far worse if it wasn’t for some De Gea brilliance to start the season. Our back 4 after roughly £200 million spent is still a work in progress.
Imaging watching our games and thinking that our defense is "rock solid".

Status
Not open for further replies.