Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What's alarming is not only that Ole couldn't see Maguire is not fit to play before the game and playing comically bad but continuing with him. He's barely moving and playing like a dazed boxer, A manager needs to see that and correct it by taking him off. We may have salvaged something from the game had he been taken off, he was at fault to the end.

Under Jose we played Newcastle at home and went 2-0 down, Bailly was playing similar to Harry at the weekend, just not moving well and looking dazed. Jose saw the mistake and took him off after 20 mins, we then win 3-2.

Ole should've added to the midfield of a very poorly thought out Pogba/Matic getting overrun and took Maguire off who was costing us the whole game. The mistakes keep coming.
It was terrible man management by him. He should have at least taken Harry off at half time for Bailly. He left him out there for the Leicester fans to humiliate him every mistake he made.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
One good thing he’s done is add some genuine top drawer quality to an already talented squad. A top manger will get this side up and running with a few tweaks. However, I fear that the season will be essentially over by the time Ole goes and that means which means Ronaldo, Varane, Cavani all another year older.

Squaaaad

The dressing room is about to get toxic should we lose the next few games. It's like Mourinho 18/19 all over again.

Ixion

It is very realistic than in 12 months we'll be without Pogba, Lingard, Cavani, Mata, VDB, and Martial and still need investment in centre of midfield. It is a squad that could unravel very quickly and still needs big investment in midfield. If he got sacked Ole would be leaving a new manager with a few headaches.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Expect the situation to improve in the next few weeks...have they looked at our fixtures?
I see that as them setting the scene for his eventual sacking. This stuff about protecting him and backing him is just the club making it look like they were entirely fair with him. The things Romano said is actually pretty damning really.

They expect a turn around in both games vs Atalanta, good results over the next few weeks and also think we're good enough to win the league. The club know full well that Ole won't even pass the first couple of hurdles. Plus tactical and technical improvement shown in the team immediately.

Hell, we might actually be acting like Manchester United again finally with those expectations.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Expect the situation to improve in the next few weeks...have they looked at our fixtures?
They will be thinking that the players will be fired up for the big games, but what about when we get back to the lesser fixtures? Last season we even had trouble with the big fixtures at OT. Why do they think it will change? Wishful thinking? Problem they have is if he keeps trying to blame the players, when they are trying to carry out his orders and know it isn't working. Maybe their instructions are not being articulated to the players properly.

Sviken

I see that as them setting the scene for his eventual sacking. This stuff about protecting him and backing him is just the club making it look like they were entirely fair with him. The things Romano said is actually pretty damning really.

They expect a turn around in both games vs Atalanta, good results over the next few weeks and also think we're good enough to win the league. The club know full well that Ole won't even pass the first couple of hurdles.

Hell, we might actually be acting like Manchester United again finally with those expectations.
Even if Ole manages to pull miraculous results out of his ass to save his job, does it really matter at this point? This season is over unless we go on and pull a fluke CL win (Hey, Di Matteo did it, so why not Ole?). We're never going to change with Ole at the helm. Hell, 3 seasons in and most fan can't even find an actual way Ole wants this team to play, let alone create a winning team. What are we even talking about? You can give Ole 500 million for an entirely new midfield plus a right back and we'd still be hardly any better, I'm dead sure of that. Rather cut our losses now than continue with the slow agony. I'm sick of turning corners

the_cliff

This whole midfield excuse needs to stop. We have DVB, Mctominay, Pogba, Fred and Matic a far better midfield than Young Boys, Villa, Everton, Southampton, Villareal and West Ham. It has to be a coaching problem that whatever midfield we put out there we get cut through like butter. We made Ettiene Capoue look like prime Xavi that game against Villareal, he was playing championship football just a couple of seasons ago with Watford. Come on.

DomesticTadpole

Even if Ole manages to pull miraculous results out of his ass to save his job, does it really matter at this point? This season is over unless we go on and pull a fluke CL win (Hey, Di Matteo did it, so why not Ole?). We're never going to change with Ole at the helm. Hell, 3 seasons in and most fan can't even find an actual way Ole wants this team to play, let alone create a winning team. What are we even talking about? You can give Ole 500 million for an entirely new midfield plus a right back and we'd still be hardly any better, I'm dead sure of that. Rather cut our losses now than continue with the slow agony. I'm sick of turning corners
Think Ole just picks a formation, but does not have a pattern within that formation, if somebody is going to do the pressing, is it zonal or man to man or a bit of both? Having players cover for each other? If your fullback goes forward somebody should be covering the space they left just in case the other team breaks. He uses his formation like a comfort blanket and tries to fit players in who do not suit the formation, instead of changing it to suit his best players.

the_cliff

Think Ole just picks a formation, but does not have a pattern within that formation, if somebody is going to do the pressing, is it zonal or man to man or a bit of both? Having players cover for each other? If your fullback goes forward somebody should be covering the space they left just in case the other team breaks. He uses his formation like a comfort blanket and tries to fit players in who do not suit the formation, instead of changing it to suit his best players.
This is imo the reason why we look worse than last season. When we play we never really have a pressing structure, I'm not sure if this is on Ole's instruction but it seems from a visual perspective that we press whenever Bruno feels like it. So when Bruno decides to go on one of his wild escapades (as I like to call them) he's too far out from supporting the midfield 2 whenever they resist the press (which is inevitable). Now last season, we had Cavani who would drop deep whenever Bruno would go on his wild escapades and Cavani would help support our midfield 2. Now I don't know if that's from Ole's instructions or Cavani is just a high IQ player that can read the game but we're really missing the structure and solidity that Cavani brought us.

This season we have Ronaldo up front who quite simply won't do the supporting or running off ball Cavani did. Now i'm not saying we should drop Ronaldo because let's be honest you can't. But Ole should have identified this problem a long time ago and the fact that nothing has been done about this since the West Ham game shows one of 2 things. 1. He's completely clueless or 2. He's tried to solve the problem but Bruno/the players aren't listening to his instructions.
Either one makes Ole look really bad.

Edit: Just as a visual representation of my point. If you rewatch the Everton game we looked a lot more solid and stable in the first half against Everton than we did in the second.

spiriticon

Well then he should have prioritised one over getting YET another left -sided attacker in Sancho for £70 million. How many left-sided players did he think he could shoehorn into this team?

Play Sancho on the right, or fecking sell him to fund a CM because he'll struggle to displace both Rashford and Martial on the left permanently. Rashford's been back for 3 minutes and he's already got a goal to his name. Martial got a goal vs Everton from the left.

FML.

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It's not Ole's fault he has taken the club as far as he can and he is working under a commercially driven board that will not remove him unless top four is under threat. I do want a new manager at this point but it really is wasted emotion tearing your hair out over Ole because he is going nowhere.

DomesticTadpole

This is imo the reason why we look worse than last season. When we play we never really have a pressing structure, I'm not sure if this is on Ole's instruction but it seems from a visual perspective that we press whenever Bruno feels like it. So when Bruno decides to go on one of his wild escapades (as I like to call them) he's too far out from supporting the midfield 2 whenever they resist the press (which is inevitable). Now last season, we had Cavani who would drop deep whenever Bruno would go on his wild escapades and Cavani would help support our midfield 2. Now I don't know if that's from Ole's instructions or Cavani is just a high IQ player that can read the game but we're really missing the structure and solidity that Cavani brought us.

This season we have Ronaldo up front who quite simply won't do the supporting or running off ball Cavani did. Now i'm not saying we should drop Ronaldo because let's be honest you can't. But Ole should have identified this problem a long time ago and the fact that nothing has been done about this since the West Ham game shows one of 2 things. 1. He's completely clueless or 2. He's tried to solve the problem but Bruno/the players aren't listening to his instructions.
Either one makes Ole look really bad.

Edit: Just as a visual representation of my point. If you rewatch the Everton game we looked a lot more solid and stable in the first half against Everton than we did in the second.
Yeah, we should have pushed on in the second half against Everton. What on earth is said at HT? Also agree about Cavani, he is a hard worker, and as you say intelligent and a good reader of the game. Ronaldo, as much as I love him, just wants to score goals. If he doesn't get service he might as well not be playing.

They expect a turn around in both games vs Atalanta, good results over the next few weeks and also think we're good enough to win the league. The club know full well that Ole won't even pass the first couple of hurdles. Plus tactical and technical improvement shown in the team immediately.

Thats exactly what they’re doing

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Thing is, the team and Ole will likely go on a little run of good performances and results to ease any concerns the board may or may not have. This is Ole's Man Utd - a roller coaster of ups and downs with no trophies.

romufc

Thing is, the team and Ole will likely go on a little run of good performances and results to ease any concerns the board may or may not have. This is Ole's Man Utd - a roller coaster of ups and downs with no trophies.
I don't see us going on a run like that this season, there are too many well coached teams in the PL.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If you think the difference between what we are seeing and a title wining team is a midfielder then I have a bridge to sell to you.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am asking and asking and asking but i never get an answer from Ole in guys.
Do you believe in quality levels in football? You all wanted world class striker instead average one (Ighalo). You all wanted world class winger instead average one (James). Not a single fan have said; "lets give a few seasons to Ighalo and James in first 11 so maybe they will prove that they are world class". No, you all wanted upgrade there after first few games. Because you just knew that they are not Man Utd quality.

So why do you want Ole to stay despite you are pretty much aware that he is levels bellow Pep, Klopp, Tuchel...? Shouldn't Man Utd have best manager around? Or you hugely underrate manager's role in club?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I agree completely, but with the club expecting a PL challenge I think they're setting him up to fail. Annoying that we may have to watch it unfold and waste a season, but I think it'll become clear soon that we're not challenging barring anymore Ole miracles.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I am asking and asking and asking but i never get an answer from Ole in guys.
Do you believe in quality levels in football? You all wanted world class striker instead average one (Ighalo). You all wanted world class winger instead average one (James). Not a single fan have said; "lets give a few seasons to Ighalo and James in first 11 so maybe they will prove that they are world class". No, you all wanted upgrade there after first few games. Because you just knew that they are not Man Utd quality.

So why do you want Ole to stay despite you are pretty much aware that he is levels bellow Pep, Klopp, Tuchel...? Shouldn't Man Utd have best manager around? Or you hugely underrate manager's role in club?
(Former) Ole in guy, so i'll try to answer as well as i can

Yeah, i believe in quality levels and i think most fans would say the same. The reason i didnt want him sacked before though could be summed up in

1. I thought his recruitment was very good and i still stand by that. We needed a rebuild to match City and Liverpool in player quality and unlike LvG and Jose he did not piss away millions on dross
2. There was always improvment (albeit too slow for many) and i was curious to see how far he could take us. 6th, 3rd and 2nd in the league is not fantastic, but considering the cirumstances, its wasnt bad either
3. Romanticism and nostalgia played a part for sure. Hes "one of our own" so of course i was going to give him more rope than someone with no connection to the club
4. Lack of good options, or at least options who are at the level of Pep and Klopp. (Are there any?) Tuchel would be an option for sure, but as fate would have it, we were top of the league and in really good form when PSG sacked him. Even though i have pretty much given up on him i dont think we should sack him now because i dont see any realistic, good options for us

Conte? Mental. Zidane? Does not speak english and does he even want the job? Ten Haag/Rose/Potter/etc? Exciting managers, but also a HUGE step up for them. Benitez? No, hes a FSW. Poch? Buttler

Just to be clear, Ole's day are probably numbered, but sacking him now just to make yet another rash appointment would be even more dumb than to let him sit a while longer while the club identifies and brings in a suiting replacement

DomesticTadpole

Yeah, i believe in quality levels and i think most fans would say the same. The reason i didnt want him sacked before though could be summed up in

1. I thought his recruitment was very good and i still stand by that. We needed a rebuild to match City and Liverpool in player quality and unlike LvG and Jose he did not piss away millions on dross
2. There was always improvment (albeit too slow for many) and i was curious to see how far he could take us. 6th, 3rd and 2nd in the league is not fantastic, but considering the cirumstances, its wasnt bad either
3. Romanticism and nostalgia played a part for sure. Hes "one of our own" so of course i was going to give him more rope than someone with no connection to the club
4. Lack of good options, or at least options who are at the level of Pep and Klopp. (Are there any?) Tuchel would be an option for sure, but as fate would have it, we were top of the league and in really good form when PSG sacked him. Even though i have pretty much given up on him i dont think we should sack him now because i dont see any realistic, good options for us

Conte? Mental. Zidane? Does not speak english and does he even want the job? Ten Haag/Rose/Potter/etc? Exciting managers, but also a HUGE step up for them. Benitez? No, hes a FSW. Poch? Buttler

Just to be clear, Ole's day are probably numbered, but sacking him now just to make yet another rash appointment would be even more dumb than to let him sit a while longer while the club identifies and brings in a suiting replacement
It's if there are any better options available at the end of the season. The winners will not be going anywhere so it would mean taking a punt on one of the above exciting options anyway or someone who is still not quite good enough. I wouldn't mind the Spain manager, but there is a World Cup next November, so not sure he would want to leave before then. Martinez who cannot get a trophy out of the best Belgian generation maybe ever. Southgate maybe the same and is Mister Bland like Ole.

pseudo_canadian

If you think the difference between what we are seeing and a title wining team is a midfielder then I have a bridge to sell to you.
Can’t believe some people still fall for this crap. Doesn’t matter which set of players you buy and put on the field when you have a manager that is simply out of his depth.

DomM

We have wingers who don't track back, holding midfielders who don't press and can't tackle, and defenders who make stupid mistakes, hardly surprising we concede so many goals, and that is purely down to team selection, man management and team coaching, all of which are duties of OGS.

largelyworried

I don't see there being many more options next summer than now. Granted its a bit easier to tempt managers in the summer, but Man United is still a plum job, the only managers we wouldn't be able to tempt mid-season would be those at a similarly big club. As luck would have it, none of our likely targets are at big clubs, other than maybe Naglesmann, who is unlikely to be sacked at the end of this season in any event. So I don't think waiting really opens up a bigger choice.

If anything its the other way around. Since one or two big clubs are bound to sack their manager mid-season, it always happens, there's every chance we'll have one or two fewer managers by the end of the season to choose from. We could easily get to the end of the season and find, say, Conte has gone to Juve and Ten Haag has signed up with Barca, or whatever. To have three or four realistic options is somewhat rare.

soapythecat

This whole midfield excuse needs to stop. We have DVB, Mctominay, Pogba, Fred and Matic a far better midfield than Young Boys, Villa, Everton, Southampton, Villareal and West Ham. It has to be a coaching problem that whatever midfield we put out there we get cut through like butter. We made Ettiene Capoue look like prime Xavi that game against Villareal, he was playing championship football just a couple of seasons ago with Watford. Come on.
Totally agree. Matic might be old but he can still play at the top level. We have some amazing CMs just need them set up correctly so they aren’t chasing shadows and leaving gaps big enough to tune the Titanic around in.
A WC DM isn’t going to change anything in our current set up.

soapythecat

We are replacing OGS, not Pep. There are hundreds of managers out there with the same qualifications as Ole. And I bet the vast majority of them would be better equipped to make us play better football than Ole. I hope the club can see that we can’t stick with Ole because there isn’t a big name currently available. There are so many better managers out there who would jump at the chance to manage Inited.

Womp

idiot

You could list doubts for literally every manager - Pep and Klopp included. No manager comes as a sure thing, so you sign a manager who represents what you're trying to implement. Managers likeTen Hag, Potter, Enrique. Coaches who implement a progressive style and sign players to compliment that style.

Jacko21

I don't know why anyone would expect anything different from Neville, Scholes, Keane et al regarding Solskjaer.

They shared a dressing room (and won trophies) with Ole for years. Their punditry gigs aren't so important to them (professionally and financially) that they'd happily blame/target a friend and former team-mate. Of course they are going to stop short.

When Gerrard eventually manages in the PL - be it at Liverpool, Newcastle or wherever - do I expect Carragher to stick the knife in if things aren't going well for this mate? No, I don't.

Does it make their contribution less meaningful? Probably. Do their opinions still have the ability to influence the narrative and thinking of others? Probably.

I get why it frustrates some, but it just seems silly to expect anything else.

Anustart89

The dressing room is about to get toxic should we lose the next few games. It's like Mourinho 18/19 all over again.
We’re only one point better off than him at this stage IIRC and I think Mourinho got seven points from his next three games at this stage (implosion started after that run).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

What I don't get is: From the outside it seems like you're in for 50% of the Bundesliga's top players. You signed Kagawa, Schweinsteiger and Mkhitaryan, now you signed Sancho and you were reported to be interested in a whole lot of others: Haaland, Bellingham, Upamecano, Diaby, Coman and Bailey e. g. Yet your approach to management and coaching is fundamentally different to what the players are used to in the Bundesliga. Why don't you try appointing a German, Dutch, Austrian or Swiss coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.