Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

The coaches or their representatives can say what they like. The proof is in the pudding and journalists parroting lines from sources close to the coaches or whatever are not helping them.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
What credit exactly ?

The guy didn't exactly sign some hidden gems. He signed Maguire, Ronaldo, Varane, Cavani, Sancho..etc. All pretty well known players and for shit ton of money. Bruno wasn't an unknown player either. I swear people make it out as if Ole has been bringing on unexpected players or young talents whom he developed into top class.
Bruno went from being a very good player in the Portugese league to a Ballon D'or candidate, and we had a near free run at him.

The mistake signing will probably turn out to be Ronaldo. He's unbalancing the team badly.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The coaches or their representatives can say what they like. The proof is in the pudding and journalists parroting lines from sources close to the coaches or whatever are not helping them.
My question is why are the coaches and manager working to improve. Shouldn't we have employed people who are already qualified to manage and coach Manchester United? I could understand if they said the players are striving to learn a new system and to improve the results but not coaches.

spiriticon

Yeah but what about the other 89 minutes of that match? What about the SHOCKING defensive structure in that match?

We can play well in 10-15 minute spells, no doubt, but if we don't score in that period the mojo and colour just drains from the players like an open tap. Why? Mentality? Arrogance? Fatigue?

The only success this bunch has had is to barely keep United between 2nd-4th place, which was the standard set nearly eight(!) goddamn years ago.

Last edited:

Oranges038

The report says Ole was furious about the second half. If true then why didn't he make early changes or scream instructions from the technical area?

I accept that Ole will get the season. I think the whole club has to improve from Ole and the coaching staff to the players. I think this season will be Ole's last. The most annoying thing really is having to right off another season. Utd won't win anything again.

I expect another horrible performance against Atalanta. Might be an unpopular opinion but I think Bruno is dragging the wingers too high away from the midfield. If players don't obey intruction then they have to be dropped.
He was so furious that most of those shite bags will still play tomorrow night. There's a real lack of discipline with the players out on the pitch, they clearly don't listen to Ole and they certainly don't look like they listen to each other.

I totally agree that he has to drop players, but time and time again he's shown that when it comes to it, he just doesn't have the balls to make big calls like that, he still puts Martial and Lingard out the pitch ffs, there's no standards to live up to. He's too afraid of upsetting people or losing so he'd rather play underperforming players that might do something good rather than let them know they aren't putting in the performances expected and give them a much needed kick up the hole.

I always thought that he should get the time needed to improve the squad and get in a few players (and get rid of more), he's gotten his time and the money. I think he's done a great job in steering the club in the right direction again and has improved the squad balance. Not making a midfield signing a priority was a big mistake, Fred and McT aren't good enough they just lack the basic midfield skills of positioning, control and passing. His persistence with these two clowns is a massive let down, there is no control over the team from there, they can't control the ball, they don't create, they are fcuk all good at anything except running around.

I don't think the club will sack him unless there is massive chance of not getting out of the CL group or making top 4 this season. Now I think the decision is there for him to make it, he either needs to prove over the next few games that he can sort this shit out or do the honorable thing and walk.

b82REZ

Stephen Howson is one of the most condescending men out there. Loves the sound of his own voice.

Peak Howson was when at 34:05 he claims "Ole implemented a world-wide scouting network of 50 scouts" and Rio smirked and said "He ain't done that." Amazing how somebody so delusional like Howson can have such a following.
Howson is a proper top red. I feel he's been rumbled a bit in recent weeks with his little woe is me rant at the top of the show when he tried to make out he doesn't copy Rio's stance.

The way his faced dropped when Rio called him out for him baseless claim Ole has "fixed" our scouting was priceless.

Tbh I felt him and Rio were a bit soft with Joel's wumming. They've given it him all season and he tends to take it in good humour but when the shoe was on the other foot they seemed mighty pissed off about his "energy".

I do think Rio will be the first to call out the manager if it gets to that over the other ex United pundits though.

The-Natural

I suppose the positive here is that there is now an established narrative about the poor coaching, regardless of whether those hapless dicks actually doing the coaching use that splinter-arse Mitten to refute it as 'false'. It's out there. Worms out of can. Massive and somewhat respected media outlets are going with it along with probably the most respected pundit on telly (Carragher- I'm sorry but it's the truth) saying it too.

If it's such nonsense lads then please go ahead and show us why we're all wrong. Otherwise the P66 is coming your way very soon hopefully.

Foxbatt

Mitten is as good a source on Man Utd as there is so I'd be inclined to believe the coaching staff genuinely believe that. The issue is that Man Utd play in patches, there can be a five minute period they look like they can score at will followed by a half hour they look like they cannot string two passes together - so the coaching staff need to learn to take the good with the bad.
If the coaching staff believe that they are doing a great job then it's utter madness. Trump thought he did a brilliant job too.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The poor coaching will be evident again tomorrow night and on the weekend. It is such a bizarre and arrogant defence from the coaching staff. :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Maybe it is a false narrative in that they are trying to implement that graft and style of play. But what is irrefutable is that it's seriously failing on the pitch, so they are clearly shite at their jobs. Either way they should all be relieved of their duties if things get worse.

Amir

And this is part of the problem. I'm sure they did work on that move in training, because they obviously work on something. But working on certain moves is rather simplistic, and once you start trying things - the opponents will learn it and nullify it.

If they think that this is a 'style of play', they are wrong.

The-Natural

And this is part of the problem. I'm sure they did work on that move in training, because they obviously work on something. But working on certain moves is rather simplistic, and once you start trying things - the opponents will learn it and nullify it.

If they think that this is a 'style of play', they are wrong.
Bingo! If the fundamentals of your overall playing style aren't there to begin with then you can work on specific pieces of play all you want but you're still going absolutely nowhere ultimately.

James Peril

So they are miffed about not getting credit for a shot from outside the box wonderstrike, basically the only shot all game? Jesus wept. Not that I believe any of those comments are real-real anyway, but it’s still a bit funny. Our manager and coaching team are hopelessly incompetent and in a while we’re going to wonder how the feck it all cane together…

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

What is clear is The Athletic have very good sources, and it's obvious the above is from the coaching staff directly as a source. Whereas, the below just posted days ago, is from sources close to the players themselves:

https://theathletic.com/2882153/202...-inside-solskjaers-role-at-manchester-united/

Here they say bits like

‘Sources close to several senior players have said they feel training could be led by coaches with greater elite experience,’

‘More than one well-placed source insisted McKenna commands respect from players through the manner of his set-up but conceded that when he asks them to push past a comfort zone they might subconsciously question his pedigree.’

‘some sources The Athletic has spoken to feel the collegiate approach means the (Ole) is not decisive enough at some key moments.’

So the summary from what I can see is, coaches attest to any idea that they aren't doing the right things whereas the players have their doubts. Ole is a hands off manager and not focused on micro analysing the training sessions, and that basically shows up on the pitch.

For me he's certainly not suited to the modern game whatsoever, let alone at a big club or even a top 6 club. How Darren Fletcher & Murtough think that Ole's style works is beyond me. Fletcher should know that this approach simply wouldn't work.

KiD MoYeS

What is clear is The Athletic have very good sources, and it's obvious the above is from the coaching staff directly as a source. Whereas, the below just posted days ago, is from sources close to the players themselves:

https://theathletic.com/2882153/202...-inside-solskjaers-role-at-manchester-united/

Here they say bits like

‘Sources close to several senior players have said they feel training could be led by coaches with greater elite experience,’

‘More than one well-placed source insisted McKenna commands respect from players through the manner of his set-up but conceded that when he asks them to push past a comfort zone they might subconsciously question his pedigree.’

‘some sources The Athletic has spoken to feel the collegiate approach means the (Ole) is not decisive enough at some key moments.’

So the summary from what I can see is, coaches attest to any idea that they aren't doing the right things whereas the players have their doubts. Ole is a hands off manager and not focused on micro analysing the training sessions, and that basically shows up on the pitch.

For me he's certainly not suited to the modern game whatsoever, let alone at a big club or even a top 6 club. How Darren Fletcher & Murtough think that Ole's style works is beyond me. Fletcher should know that this approach simply wouldn't work.
Fletcher is on the training pitch with them most days so you would assume he has an idea on what is happening on a daily basis.

Rajma

Ole is just a fall-out guy who should have never been given a permanent position in the first place. The only reason he’s being kept in this position is that we have a top management that are even more incompetent and out of their depths than Ole is at being a manager. They have little interest in on the pitch success as long as commercial side of things is stable. We’re just glorified Arsenal at this point with a bit more cash to spend.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fletcher is on the training pitch with them most days so you would assume he has an idea on what is happening on a daily basis.
It's not boding well for him either, then.

Due to the level of access The Athletic get to happenings on the training ground, I think we are in a position to know a lot more than say 10 years ago. I think the following is beyond reasonable doubt:

- The style of training prioritizes maximizing the potential of our talented and skillful players. The belief is that a happy camp will breed confidence and positive performances on the pitch, hence the "collegiate" approach.
- Very low focus on off the ball work with a preference of vague instructions of showing focus and hunger in winning second balls.
- Full delegation to the coaching staff by the manager by way of tactics and embedding an established system of play. McKenna may well have the nous to put this in, but when he tries to get tactical the players seemingly turn off, because of his novice experience.
- Ole can step in, but he won't because that's not his style. He prefers to be a manager rather than a coach.

^ All of this really isn't right for the modern game, and Fletcher should be aware of this if he's on the training pitch. I don't think the above is an assumption either because I'm going from what a very credible source has put out in various articles. Moreover the above puts all of our games into context.

KiD MoYeS

It's not boding well for him either, then.

Due to the level of access The Athletic get to happenings on the training ground, I think we are in a position to know a lot more than say 10 years ago. I think the following is beyond reasonable doubt:

- The style of training prioritizes maximizing the potential of our talented and skillful players. The belief is that a happy camp will breed confidence and positive performances on the pitch, hence the "collegiate" approach.
- Very low focus on off the ball work with a preference of vague instructions of showing focus and hunger in winning second balls.
- Full delegation to the coaching staff by the manager by way of tactics and embedding an established system of play. McKenna may well have the nous to put this in, but when he tries to get tactical the players seemingly turn off, because of his novice experience.
- Ole can step in, but he won't because that's not his style. He prefers to be a manager rather than a coach.

^ All of this really isn't right for the modern game, and Fletcher should be aware of this if he's on the training pitch. I don't think the above is an assumption either because I'm going from what a very credible source has put out in various articles. Moreover the above puts all of our games into context.
It does feel like the club is desperately attempting to replicate the Alex Ferguson era. I originally thought that surely the club were not that far behind in that sense but I think I gave them too much credit. The club are always ten steps behind Liverpool, City, Chelsea et. al.

Kaos

Ole is just a fall-out guy who should have never been given a permanent position in the first place. The only reason he’s being kept in this position is that we have a top management that are even more incompetent and out of their depths than Ole is at being a manager. They have little interest in on the pitch success as long as commercial side of things is stable. We’re just glorified Arsenal at this point with a bit more cash to spend.

A transformative figure that transforms us into what? A consistent 4th place team? Do they plan on sacking him once Newcastle eventually pips us off the top 4 spots?

izec

Good thing is Ed will be gone at the end of the year. This will still go on for at least half a year, maybe a year until he gets sacked

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

They are not lying, 100%. Even the two goals we scored at Leicester were the product of what we've been practising on the training ground. In the first one, Greenwood gets wide to receive the ball and then the team works to create an iso for him: AWB, on the underlap, draws Soyuncu away, Bruno keeps Madison busy, Pogba does the same with Tielemans and Ronaldo attacks the far post. Even Rashford's goal is something we've often attempted: The long ball from Lindelof toward a forward who makes the diagonal run into the box.

But do you know what's worse than a lie? A half-truth. In the grand scheme of things, what do their well-worked attacking plays gets us? What did we earn last Sunday by taking the risk to field such a top-heavy side and to constantly leave Maguire-Lindelof in 1v1 against the pace of Iheanacho and Vardy? Other than a thumping, that is.

Right now, this United side can neither outscore an opponent nor defend a lead. The question (and this is one of the things the "outers" get wrong) should not be if they are doing something, but if what they are doing is enough. They were not appointed this summer, they've been here for quite some time now. In any line of work, especially at the highest level, there's (or should be) a definite number of times when you can be excused for not producing the desired results. Anyway, the whole thing with the leaks this week should really stop. It's comedy gold for opposition fans, and it's sad to see us slowly becoming a parody of a football club.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
A transformative figure that transforms us into what? A consistent 4th place team? Do they plan on sacking him once Newcastle eventually pips us off the top 4 spots?
So he gets us CL, to then not make them the money in the CL that they should be making with a better manager. That really doesn't sound like a great business model to me. Thing is I think he probably will get us CL, so basically we are going round in circles.

Last edited:

IncyWincySpider

Qualifying for the champions league each year so we can get knocked out at the group stage by losing to Turkey and Wankdorf seems pretty pointless really doesn't it.

Idxomer

The coaches seem to put the blame at Ole's door, they're doing their job with the tactics but the manager doesn't have the ability to make the players follow the instructions for the whole game.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Utterly ridiculous for them to point at Martials goal vs Everton and say “you see — we’ve got a style of play”. It was a decently worked goal that should be the bare minimum. I mean scraping the bottom of barrel type stuff. Bizarre.

b82REZ

There seems to be a lot of finger pointing and damage limitation coming out in recent days.

Generally a bad sign for the manager.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Ole seems to expect a certain standard from the players and knows how to berate them but doesn’t hold up his end of the bargain. Copy and paste job learning from Sir Alex with the dressing room antics, just isn’t cutting it with the football side.

Amir

I have to admit It's hard for me to fully trust anyone who spent most of his career under Fergie. Obviously all of our players experienced other coaches - whether it was at United, other clubs or national teams - but I worry that Fergie would have been the main influence on them and how they view football and football coaching.

But what was right for Fergie isn't right for anyone else. Things he could get away with, others couldn't. And even in the last years of his career, we were left behind in terms of football style. Since then, another eight years have passed.

Solskjaer is trying to do things 'the Fergie way'. I'm not sure Fletcher would be the one to look at it and say: No, it's not good enough.

hobbers

Haha those briefings from the coaching staff.

You deserve to be rattled you're all stealing a living.

Godfather

Strongly refuting a lack of style is funny but also pretty worrying. This indicates that they believe that the shit we serve up week in week out is the "style" they've been working on.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Ole seems to expect a certain standard from the players and knows how to berate them but doesn’t hold up his end of the bargain. Copy and paste job learning from Sir Alex with the dressing room antics, just isn’t cutting it with the football side.
You guys have two problems. This is the first one. The playing side of the club have a prehistoric mentality. They believe they can replicate success by copying the past. The most successful clubs in present day football actually have more modern outlooks. Chelsea, City, PSG, Madrid are clubs that make continuous changes and get success. Even Watford changing manager every 3 months has kept them up so far and that’s relative success for their club.

The second issue is the board being completely corporate driven. There’s no doubt you get some brilliant sponsorship deals and commercial deals but theres a complete disconnection from the playing side. Again if you look at Chelsea, Roman is very active in the club and even though he might not directly be involved he has eyes and ears everywhere and has Marina running the club on his behalf.

Ole is a big problem at the club but your structure needs an overhaul of your going to be consistently successful like you were 20 years ago.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
One good thing he’s done is add some genuine top drawer quality to an already talented squad. A top manger will get this side up and running with a few tweaks. However, I fear that the season will be essentially over by the time Ole goes and that means which means Ronaldo, Varane, Cavani all another year older.
Not sure why he gets credit for that? As if another manager couldnt have signed players AND improved our football/won trophies. Its literally the point of having a manager in charge.

hobbers

Amazing they think that bog standard goal vs Everton is something to pat themselves on the back in the media for. Idiots.

Laurencio

Maybe it is a false narrative in that they are trying to implement that graft and style of play. But what is irrefutable is that it's seriously failing on the pitch, so they are clearly shite at their jobs. Either way they should all be relieved of their duties if things get worse.
I think this is right on the money. It often looks like they are asking players to do more than they are capable of. Maguire has to cover the aerial threat and the sides when the fullback gets caught out. Fred has to win the ball deep and far up the pitch to instigate a counter, and often gets caught out too high or misses an interception with no cover. Pogba has to play deep and provide width and a threat to the box and track back (which he just can't). Bruno is a midfielder, winger and striker. Matic is tasked with covering the width of the pitch, despite not having the mobility for it.

It's like they want every player to be a complete footballer.

The only guy actually capable of doing everything they want him to seems to be Cavani. Which is a credit to him and his qualities as a footballer. However, making players do too much, and making their jobs harder in the process, is not how you get a team to play great football.

croadyman

Andy is old school so bound to try and put a positive spin on things, however do fear Ole's vote of confidence is genuine whereas any other manager it's the death knell of their reign but convinced this isn't the case

Status
Not open for further replies.