Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengt

More reason to for coaching staff to leave at the end of this show then?
Ole's Made clear we're in this mess because of "brilliantness" of coaching staff.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It was interesting to hear Ole use the word "gimmicky" in the presser today. I suspect that was entirely down to SAF using that word in the recent United pod, where it was actually appropriate.

I think there have been a lot of gimmicks over the last three years. Both from Ole and from the board. The DNA and the cultural reboot. With regards to the latter, I wonder now, when I see players not really fighting as it appeared against Leicester (apart from the lack of organisation) whether the same problems aren't still here. The players are bigger than the manager. When Pogba criticised our form and performances after the match I thought it was rich. What he said wasn't wrong, but he looked devoid of fight against Leicester, reminiscent of when he downed tools under Mourinho. Has the culture really been altered? We're still dishing out huge contracts to average players, so average in fact that the manager decides to play an injured player instead of one of those lottery winners. It also seems whatever plan - if any - Ole and his excellent "United through and through" coaches have had seems to have been shelved to fit all the important players into the team. And he says maybe it's an issue of balance, which is staggering to hear.

Anyhow, I'm not sure a cultural reboot has been achieved in any way really. I thought maybe it had to do with not spending tonnes on players' contracts, as evidenced by Bruno's relatively low deal, and Maguire's not too outlandish deal (given the outlandish outlay), but de Gea was quickly made the highest paid player in the league post-Bruno and now there's talk of doubling Maguire's contract for absolutely no reason whatsoever, while Lingard is being offered a deal when he could have been booted out in the summer to make room for balance.

I guess the tell tale sign of a cultural change will be what sort of succession is in place for when Ole is sacked and how his sacking will be handled. The cultural reboot has to be a top down process. And this recent managerial reign will be best described as the many false dawns, part 43583420.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If the coaching staff believe that they are doing a great job then it's utter madness. Trump thought he did a brilliant job too.
I honestly don't think there is a single intelligent football minded person at the club after hearing this stuff.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Ole is just a fall-out guy who should have never been given a permanent position in the first place. The only reason he’s being kept in this position is that we have a top management that are even more incompetent and out of their depths than Ole is at being a manager. They have little interest in on the pitch success as long as commercial side of things is stable. We’re just glorified Arsenal at this point with a bit more cash to spend.

"Secure that Champions League place"...yeah we are fecking done as a top club. Absolutely taking the p*ss. The club is willing to accept mediocrity, but the supporters shouldn't. This is going to be the worst period, for supporters, post Fergie. Having a world class team, one of the biggest wage bills in Europe, and all that is expected is top 4. 1) Because of the CL payout, and 2) so the club can have their front man Ole there as a shield from the fans whilst they carry on with their business care free.

The fans are the biggest loser's in all of this, unless you are one of these Ole In feckwits that thinks all is rosy.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Woodward still believes Ole will be the "transformative figure". His ego knows no bounds. His last managerial appointment before he leaves and he is going to cling on in sheer hope that he's the next Fergie and Woodward will be talked about for years to come for his last call as CEO.

He's an absolute numpty. I hope the stories of another protest are true. Let's see the back of him earlier than planned.

I read a story that that said he was convinced of Ole in a chance encounter at Carrington. He was apparently passing Oles office and Ole was at his desk planning out his team for years to come. Apparently this impressed Woodward :lol:

Last edited:

Kaos

Woodward still believes Ole will be the "transformative figure". His ego knows no bounds. His last managerial appointment before he leaves and he is going to cling on in sheer hope that he's the next Fergie and Woodward will be talked about for years to come for his last call as CEO.

He's an absolute numpty. I hope the stories of another protest are true. Let's see the back of him earlier than planned.

I read a story that that said he was convinced of Ole in a chance encounter at Carrington. He was apparently passing Oles office and Ole was at his desk planning out his team for years to come. Apparently this impressed Woodward :lol:
He probably took a glimpse at Ole's football manager save game and was convinced there and then.

And I'm only half joking:
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/aston-villa-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-185471

Micky Targaryen

Ole is just a fall-out guy who should have never been given a permanent position in the first place. The only reason he’s being kept in this position is that we have a top management that are even more incompetent and out of their depths than Ole is at being a manager. They have little interest in on the pitch success as long as commercial side of things is stable. We’re just glorified Arsenal at this point with a bit more cash to spend.

If "securing a Champions League spot" is all it takes to keep his job, then I'm done. I regret laughing at Arsenal all those years for winning their top 4 trophy.

Anustart89

I get so annoyed about the arguments that he trots out in his defence. Since when did being “United people” guarantee anything resembling success? He could as well have gone with “they’re humans, and all winners ever have been humans so that means that we’ll win titles soon enough”. Hardly like Klopp’s staff is full of Liverpool people, City’s bench is full of city people and so on. Is Tuchel’s success based on him having Chelsea people around him? It’s only here that being United people is something that the manager would use as a defence, and (thankfully fewer and fewer) people lap it up because we’re so different!

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I get so annoyed about the arguments that he trots out in his defence. Since when did being “United people” guarantee anything resembling success? He could as well have gone with “they’re humans, and all winners ever have been humans so that means that we’ll win titles soon enough”. Hardly like Klopp’s staff is full of Liverpool people, City’s bench is full of city people and so on. Is Tuchel’s success based on him having Chelsea people around him? It’s only here that being United people is something that the manager would use as a defence, and (thankfully fewer and fewer) people lap it up because we’re so different!
Amen

Tony247

"Secure top 4 spot" Disturbing at many levels. Are we now a new Arsenal? Because then it's all downhill from here.

MichaelRed

On the loss to Leicester he said "when you lose games it's obvious things didn't go as planned. It might be some personnel or some injuries." Jesus christ, can he ever just say he tactically got it wrong? Blaming injuries and missing players for that absolute rabble. He says Atalanta were third seed in our group & that "shows how tough this group is" when everyone knows our group was one of the easiest, just getting his excuses in early. Somebody get this passion merchant out of the club.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

This thread doesn't generate the same amount of traffic when he actually does something good uh?

Great work by him to fix the mess that was the first half (which he was responsible of in the first place of course), looked like a totally different team on the pitch after that half time break

el3mel

Good job from him to manage to get such reaction from the player. Doesn't change anything though regarding my opinion on the whole thing. It's just a matter of time, but it was a great win and really great second half. Really enjoyed everything about it once Rashford scored.

Womp

idiot
This thread doesn't generate the same amount of traffic when he actually does something good uh?

Great work by him to fix the mess that was the first half (which he was responsible of in the first place of course), looked like a totally different team on the pitch after that half time break
I really wouldn't consider that game 'good'. Was a great result and a great finish to the game but the fact that we were even in that position against an Atalanta team who were missing their best players/lost another in Demiral at HT is hardly something to write home about.

Great result and finish to the game though, as I mentioned.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

He worked shit. Messed up with formation and lineup. In second half he threw in all creative players and what happens, happens. That was run and gun football which can bring you comeback then and there. And that is it.

Baxter

Can’t help feel that Scholesy was right. They’re a bit Leeds in that they keep playing and play wide open. Maybe another false dawn, but at least it was entertaining. :lol:

90 + 5min

So now, wins are not good enough. Instead of being sad for our win, people should support the team even when there are some bad spells.

To people that just see negativity in Solskjaer. You can find lot of positivity today. You just need to try doing that.

OverratedOpinion

So now, wins are not good enough. Instead of being sad for our win, people should support the team even when there are some bad spells.

To people that just see negativity in Solskjaer. You can find lot of positivity today. You just need to try doing that.
That win was fantastic, I am delighted.

I do not believe Solskjaer is good enough to be our manager despite absolutely loving the bloke.

They are not mutually exclusive.

edgecutter

We could potentially be 8 points adrift after Sunday and it's still October. There have been very few positives this year.

Roboc7

I think the players saved him today because they don’t want to get knocked out more than anything he did. Ole looks totally lost and we’re a mess, not sure how many more times they’ll save him. He can’t continue being inept in the tougher games to come.

I enjoyed the comeback and delighted we won but it's shocking how badly organised we are.

Flexdegea

I don't know what he says to the team at half times during games.......but wish he did it at start of matches........we are like a different team at times.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think the players saved him today because they don’t want to get knocked out more than anything he did. Ole looks totally lost and we’re a mess, not sure how many more times they’ll save him. He can’t continue being inept in the tougher games to come.

I enjoyed the comeback and delighted we won but it's shocking how badly organised we are.
The game I saw, the front 4 didn't bother doing anything when not in attack for the first half. The chances were there even then and it could have been 2-2 at the half just as well. The second half, everyone, including Ronaldo busted a lung to get bodies behind the ball, organize themselves when out of possession and simply turned up. I don't think either the come back or the lack of commitment were down to the manager. Its more or less a work ethic issue unless Ole is telling the front 4 to stay up when not in possession.

largelyworried

Don’t think we learned much tonight about Ole and his team. When the game is wide open, chaotic and end to end, we thrive. When we need structure, control and to set the tempo, we’re a long way short. Plenty exciting when it works, but not a recipe for long term success in my opinion.

Idxomer

Playing a team with poor fitness levels has saved him more than anything else.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Don't get me wrong, it's not a masterclass, but everyone told me Atalanta "actually have a system" and we'd get found out. We basically did what Leicester did to us, don't see how people can be so miserable about this game.

Fooza

It's just Villareal all over again? Why should any united fan feel like this game will change anything when we all know how we were after that game too.

I'm over the moon that we're looking likely we are progressing and avoiding Europa. That's all.

SirScholes

Pretty much everything here is spot on

plan a fails, throw on all your best players and shockingly it works against a team that dropped its arse

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Don't get me wrong, it's not a masterclass, but everyone told me Atalanta "actually have a system" and we'd get found out. We basically did what Leicester did to us, don't see how people can be so miserable about this game.
They were missing half their team to be fair

Cloud7

Can’t help feel that Scholesy was right. They’re a bit Leeds in that they keep playing and play wide open. Maybe another false dawn, but at least it was entertaining. :lol:
The spaces between their players was something else. Might be the least compact team we’ve played against all season.

Guapa

We made hard work of beating a mediocre side.Nothings changed.Ole out.

Sylar

One thing that can't be said is the players aren't playing for him. We wouldn't have as many comebacks if that was the case.

I'm interested to know what the half time team talk would have been

Then the players almost cost him in the first half
It was the exact same players first and second half with the exact same shape.

If we're giving credit for the players saving him, then we gotta blame them for that first half especially the two goals we conceded which were bad mistakes

el3mel

Atalanta have 5 injured players and lost their best defender due to another injury during the break. They were still very close to get a result against us.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Well done Ole got us back firing in the second half.

Cloud7

I want us to still be in the CL for when the new manager comes in. We can win the CL with this squad with the right manager setting us up.

Status
Not open for further replies.