Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickDastardly

Highly entertaining match. For non supporters of Manchester United that is. Or Ronaldo fans. Or people who don't give a feck about football and watch if for the "fun" part.

For us feckers who love and adore United, butter me up, another rollercoaster of emotions and stress.

While the former can enjoy the thrills of a small italian team going 2 up at halftime on Old Trafford, the latter are pissed. With a reason.
Sub par first half performance. Another one.

It's beyond clear that Ole is way out of his depth at preparing matches, scouting opposition and making tactical and mental changes game by game.
Our pressing is woeful, non existent and to be honest - laughable.
We rely purely on individual performances, we don't make opposition teams make mistakes.....

Inability to change formations.....slow substitutions react time.....clear favouring of certain players.....

Does he need more time? More players?

We need to win more. I'd take a loss vs Liverpool or City or Chelsea. I won't take losses vs Villa, Leicester or Young boys in any way or form.

And how many of those Liverpool players you mentioned were deemed world class before they joined Liverpool? Hulls left back? Southampton’s centre back? Roma’s winger?
Exactly.

And i think you'd find most fans of any club would say Pogba and Fernandes were world class. So that's at least 5 out of 11 at that level.

In fact, our manager is doing the opposite of Klopp. We're making world class players look average.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He seemed nervous pregame, which is understandable. I think the players are playing for him, contrary to what some believe, but ultimately the tactical set up still isn't good enough. Really enjoyed the second half last night and I'm happy for Ole.
I think it’s very difficult for ‘nice guys’, especially ones who have won it all and have legend status at the club, to genuinely lose the dressing room. He’s not Mourinho, he doesn’t create his own problems. But being liked by the players is not the save as getting the best out of the players. It will give him a longer window to do it, but the task remains the same.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Highly entertaining match. For non supporters of Manchester United that is. Or Ronaldo fans. Or people who don't give a feck about football and watch if for the "fun" part.

For us feckers who love and adore United, butter me up, another rollercoaster of emotions and stress.

While the former can enjoy the thrills of a small italian team going 2 up at halftime on Old Trafford, the latter are pissed. With a reason.
Sub par first half performance. Another one.

It's beyond clear that Ole is way out of his depth at preparing matches, scouting opposition and making tactical and mental changes game by game.
Our pressing is woeful, non existent and to be honest - laughable.
We rely purely on individual performances, we don't make opposition teams make mistakes.....

Inability to change formations.....slow substitutions react time.....clear favouring of certain players.....

Does he need more time? More players?

We need to win more. I'd take a loss vs Liverpool or City or Chelsea. I won't take losses vs Villa, Leicester or Young boys in any way or form.
Yep, I thought it was a great game!

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I think Ole will be gone in the summer but nothing is set in stone. It is in his hands. I will be happy for him if he proves me wrong. That was a good victory last night. The CL group looks much better now. Kind of dreading the Liverpool game but it feels more exciting with his job on the line. I hope he can pull of another victory and keep his dream alive.

IncyWincySpider

I only really care about the Liverpool game now, just get a result there and whatever else happens over the next couple of months is fine by me. I've accepted we aren't going to be in a title race now and I think we'll probably have a new manager this season, maybe we can have a good run in the CL or something, but let's just beat Liverpool for now. If he can do that then even if we go on to lose the next five games in a row, I will still applaud him until he's gone.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Just looking at some of the posts here it seems that that match provided just enough ammunition to underpin both viewpoints, allowing everyone who wants to to feel validated in their own pre-set positions on him.

I still think he’ll be gone by the end of the season, but unlikely before.
Which should just be a message to everyone to chill the feck out and enjoy occasions like last night really. Everyone has their position on Ole tattooed on their foreheads by this point, and the truth is nobody else cares. He's either going to fall short and get fired or he'll do enough to keep his job. It's out of our control. What we can and should all do is just get behind the club. We can control that. It's still not out of the question that we can have a good season.

ShinjiNinja26

The win last night changes nothing for me. Yes it was an exciting game and I celebrated the win like feck but we’ve seen these comebacks so many times before under Ole and it inevitably leads nowhere, we never truly kick on. We seen it only the other week, last minute winner against Villarreal and you think right we’ll build on this now only to produce complete shite again against Everton and Leicester. It’s just a constant cycle of mediocrity and we won’t win anything while he’s our manager.

laughtersassassin

The win last night changes nothing for me. Yes it was an exciting game and I celebrated the win like feck but we’ve seen these comebacks so many times before under Ole and it inevitably leads nowhere, we never truly kick on. We seen it only the other week, last minute winner against Villarreal and you think right we’ll build on this now only to produce complete shite again against Everton and Leicester. It’s just a constant cycle of mediocrity and we won’t win anything while he’s our manager.
Spot on. Delighted with the win and it was vital to keep us in the CL but we can't let it hide the fact that Ole isn't good enough.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Which should just be a message to everyone to chill the feck out and enjoy occasions like last night really. Everyone has their position on Ole tattooed on their foreheads by this point, and the truth is nobody else cares. He's either going to fall short and get fired or he'll do enough to keep his job. It's out of our control. What we can and should all do is just get behind the club. We can control that. It's still not out of the question that we can have a good season.
I’m not a Utd fan but yes clearly that’s the best way forward. If you strip everything away that’s literally THE single reason to start supporting a team and to watch football!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Well of course you did you Ipswich supporting fecker! :D

Yes it’s a hell of a lot easier when either a great comeback or a devastating home loss is equally good to watch! Don’t get my started when it’s Ipswich though. I demand to be 4-0 up at half time and then hide the ball in the second half.

MichaelRed

Exactly.

And i think you'd find most fans of any club would say Pogba and Fernandes were world class. So that's at least 5 out of 11 at that level.

In fact, our manager is doing the opposite of Klopp. We're making world class players look average.
In my opinion, one of the most damning examples of the manager's impact on the players is Mason Greenwood. He has only really played senior football under Ole & hasn't developed his game in the slightest. He's still just the incredible 17 year old he was 3 years ago. When he & Foden were breaking through it was Greenwood that was the real star of the show but now 3 years later & look at the impact of Ole vs Pep, Foden is lightyears ahead of Greenwood & we can only pray that Greenwood reaches Foden's level at some point now.

James Peril

"But I can understand why people who don't really watch every game see the inconsistency and within that game of course going 2-0 down it looks really bad". Dude, we could be 10th after Liverpool and we're already dead in the water in terms of the Premier League. Completely burried.

The nerve and arrogance from this guy, his credibility as a manager is lower than Graeme Souness and he comes up with this? Sorry mate, I watch every game and I see the extremely consistent problems you are never going to fix.
Absolutely nothing about yesterday's win was about Ole Solskjær, the players won even though his "tactics" gave them a 0-2 deficit to overcome. Terrible manager, please replace him with someone I would at least lose against in a discussion about tactical setup.

rollingstoned1

Great comeback but it's concerning that we are looking even more porous at the back inspite of signing Varane - i know he didn't play yday - and having had all this time to see what we ain't doing right. It's a feast or famine situation with United right now and it's concerning when Pogba said after the weekend that he himself is not sure what the team isn't doing right. I have a feeling the Pool game is one which Ole will come through in even if it won't really mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Dude, we could be 10th after Liverpool and we're already dead in the water in terms of the Premier League. Completely burried.
If we win we're right back in the mix.

I don't understand fans that live in this eternal negativity. We're playing Liverpool, most fans look forward to these games and relish the chance of beating the scousers!

BlueHaze

Let's see what he can do against the scouse bastards. With the way we've been playing recently I think we going to get properly embarrassed.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It's the Ole coaster, just enjoy the ride. Nothing any of us can do to change things. The board don't care once their pockets are lined.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Great result. Great second half. However he got the first half tactics woefully wrong, yet again. Snatching results like this is not sustainable. If they had a full side out we could have been in a worse position. Why can we not defend, that was a bit of a strength. What has changed? Perform like the first half on Sunday and Liverpool with be over the hill and far away before we decide to wake up. Scholes is right it is a tactical/formation problem, a midfielder is not going to sort that.

DomesticTadpole

The fact that the players keep having to save Ole's job really should tell the folks on high that he isn't up to it. To win things you have to be consistent, which is the last thing Ole is.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
When you look at our form this season it reads something like this..

wdwwlwllwdlw

6 wins
5 defeats
2 draws.

The only convincing wins came against Leeds and Newcastle. The rest required late goals or a fair bit of luck.This sort of pattern has been here the whole time Ole has, and we have struggled to put togethera consistent string of results which means we’ll never challenge for a title under him.

L1nk

The fact that all rival fans in the Premier League across social media, and i'm sure in person too, are ecstatic and eager for Ole to stay as our manager should tell you all you need to know really, if it doesn't then I don't really know what to tell you.

Big Andy

Bloke
The fact that the players keep having to save Ole's job really should tell the folks on high that he isn't up to it. To win things you have to be consistent, which is the last thing Ole is.
Tbf it's the same players that are putting him under that pressure in the first place.

izec

He is rubbish. Massive handicap every game. That we need to rely on comebacks every second game is a joke. Is he making money on us going behind every time, someone needs to investigate it.

DomesticTadpole

Tbf it's the same players that are putting him under that pressure in the first place.
He is letting that happen. So maybe they need a manager who they respect, not just like, who will keep them on their toes and they know their place in the team is under threat.

NewUser777

This is like an echo chamber. Outside this little room most fans are behind him, the players are and for now the men above, for now. Both players and manager need some good criticism for our poor form lately, but the level of disrespect evolving here is unreal.
If you can’t enjoy a win like yesterday, then what’s the point? You can all relax! If we don’t do well this season, Ole will be gone. If we do, you will have to wait a bit longer. He earned his chance to turn this around and Respect for the rebuild job he has done. This is not a sprint, and we know where we are later in the season. Don’t pretend your almighty football expertise makes anything true. It’s just guesswork. We have the best fans in the world. Clear as day yesterday at the match.Don’t think any of them made a thread wanting to loose…

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I would love to see this team under a m
So true! I'd love to see this team under a more competent manager, I think we could actually win something and genuinely compete for the title. As it is, we're stuck in this purgatory like scenario.

el3mel

This is like an echo chamber. Outside this little room most fans are behind him, the players are and for now the men above, for now. Both players and manager need some good criticism for our poor form lately, but the level of disrespect evolving here is unreal.
If you can’t enjoy a win like yesterday, then what’s the point? You can all relax! If we don’t do well this season, Ole will be gone. If we do, you will have to wait a bit longer. He earned his chance to turn this around and Respect for the rebuild job he has done. This is not a sprint, and we know where we are later in the season. Don’t pretend your almighty football expertise makes anything true. It’s just guesswork. We have the best fans in the world. Clear as day yesterday at the match.Don’t think any of them made a thread wanting to loose…
How did you know that, did you just go to every single United fan in real life and ask them if they want him to stay or not ?

passing-wind

How did you know that, did you just go to every single United fan in real life and ask them if they want him to stay or not ?
I also agree, most fans are certainly not behind Ole in the masses, OT matching going fans are of course. Many also still cheered Mourinho. Fundamentally it's up to Ole to deliver success, if this is done then such conversations above end up dissolving.

AndySmith1990

We're just going around in circles with no clear end in sight. We all know he's not good enough and will never win major trophies, but we have quality players that will drag him through games and prolong his stay.

If the board are happy with top 4 every season then we're in trouble, because that's about all we're going to achieve with Solskjaer.

OleBoiii

5 defeats
4 defeats, not 5.

And 2 of these losses came in cups where we didn't play our best team(one time with 10 men for most of the game). Which means that we've only lost 2 in 10 games where we've "done our best". This is of course not good enough, but it's a lot less dramatic.

The only convincing wins came against Leeds and Newcastle.
4 out of our 6 wins were well-deserved(Leeds, Newcastle, West Ham and Atalanta). When you create more chances than the opponent, then you are not "lucky" to win. We were not lucky against West Ham and we were certainly not lucky yesterday. If anything, the result flatters them. We should have won both games by at least 2 goals.

EyeToldYou

In my opinion, his signings have been a bit of a mixed bag.

Some have been fantastic. Bruno is an obvious one. Cavani has proved to a really clever and shrewd bit of business, and I think Varane is a steal. I'd put Maguire and Wan-Bissaka in the solid, but unremarkable category, and for a price of £130 million for the pair, I'd expect more.

Amad and Pellistri, next to nothing to judge them on, but they still cost the club a combined £45 million in transfer fees, and there seems to be no easy route for them to get into the first team.

The issue and concern I have are the signings within the last couple of years. On the face of it, big names that would add genuine strength and quality to any club in world football. Van De Beek, Ronaldo and Sancho. However, having brought them in, there doesn't seem to be much of a plan on how they would either fit our play, or how their involvement would affect other areas of the team.

Van De Beek seems pretty straight forward - Ole doesn't fancy him.

Ronaldo was brought into the club when the manager seems to want us to press the opposition defence. He did it brilliantly last night when our tails were up, but it's not normally his thing. We also have two number 9's that both deserve to play.

Sancho - the weirdest one of all. By all accounts, he seems more comfortable cutting in from the left, a position we are already completely stacked. Can't get on the right either as Greenwood is favoured there. I've no doubt he'll come good but that's another £73 million worth of talent we seem to be getting very little out of.

Like I said, a few of the buys have been fantastic, but a lot point to a real problem in planning team structure, and rather than solving a lot of our problems, his signings only seem to be muddying the waters, rather than clearing them.

YeahYeah

He was 45 minutes away from getting fired. Down 0:2, it seemed inevitable. Yet, yet again....he survived. Again.
Not sure if winning last night will be a great thing in the long run. We did need at least a draw though.
How did he survive again I have no idea but it just keeps happening.

He'sRaldo

The only time I see any sort of reaction from him on the bench, is when his job is on the line.

The man has no ambition to do anything other than stay in the job, and I absolutely hate it.

YeahYeah

In my opinion, his signings have been a bit of a mixed bag.

Some have been fantastic. Bruno is an obvious one. Cavani has proved to a really clever and shrewd bit of business, and I think Varane is a steal. I'd put Maguire and Wan-Bissaka in the solid, but unremarkable category, and for a price of £130 million for the pair, I'd expect more.

Amad and Pellistri, next to nothing to judge them on, but they still cost the club a combined £45 million in transfer fees, and there seems to be no easy route for them to get into the first team.

The issue and concern I have are the signings within the last couple of years. On the face of it, big names that would add genuine strength and quality to any club in world football. Van De Beek, Ronaldo and Sancho. However, having brought them in, there doesn't seem to be much of a plan on how they would either fit our play, or how their involvement would affect other areas of the team.

Van De Beek seems pretty straight forward - Ole doesn't fancy him.

Ronaldo was brought into the club when the manager seems to want us to press the opposition defence. He did it brilliantly last night when our tails were up, but it's not normally his thing. We also have two number 9's that both deserve to play.

Sancho - the weirdest one of all. By all accounts, he seems more comfortable cutting in from the left, a position we are already completely stacked. Can't get on the right either as Greenwood is favoured there. I've no doubt he'll come good but that's another £73 million worth of talent we seem to be getting very little out of.

Like I said, a few of the buys have been fantastic, but a lot point to a real problem in planning team structure, and rather than solving a lot of our problems, his signings only seem to be muddying the waters, rather than clearing them.
Sancho, Amad, Pellestri, probably all 3 completely unnecessarily yet they cost the club what like 120 million altogether.

Really not sure why he insisted on Sancho so much. More of a left winger and even as a right winger probably doesnt fit our style of play.
Ok some things we couldnt really predict, Greenwood becoming so good so fast or getting Ronaldo but still, still, Sancho wasnt necessary. Not for that money especially.
Also Amad and Pellestri.

Ole does seem lìke a hoarder though. He will buy them all, young, old, ready, with potential, 3 players for the same position with 2 of them never playing, Ole doesnt care.

UDontMessWith24

4 defeats, not 5.

And 2 of these losses came in cups where we didn't play our best team(one time with 10 men for most of the game). Which means that we've only lost 2 in 10 games where we've "done our best". This is of course not good enough, but it's a lot less dramatic.

4 out of our 6 wins were well-deserved(Leeds, Newcastle, West Ham and Atalanta). When you create more chances than the opponent, then you are not "lucky" to win. We were not lucky against West Ham and we were certainly not lucky yesterday. If anything, the result flatters them. We should have won both games by at least 2 goals.
More bad faith drivel that contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion. We did not field a weakened team against Young Boys, and putting quotation marks around the words not trying does not make it less asinine and delusional. This is professional sports at the highest level you don’t get to decide which losses count and which ones do not.

The-Natural

He remarked in the post match press conference:

“I can understand why people who don't watch every game can see the inconsistency”

No, Ole. It is those of us who DO watch every game that see the inconsistency and we called it out long before those who don't watch every game even copped on.

The gibberish he is capable of talking is really quite something.

Status
Not open for further replies.