Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart89

Out of the things Ole has publicly said that he wants his team to do, has he succeeded in anything?

When he came in he wanted us to be fitter than the opponents, be aggressive and putting pressure on the opposition and score easy goals (tap-ins). What has he done in three years to suggest that he is able to implement things he obviously wants from his team? I mean, a monkey can come in and say that they want the team to play good football. Management is about actually making the team do those things, not just saying them.

Robbie Boy

It's hard to believe you're listening to a Manchester United manager and captain, when listening to him and Maguire after the game. I just feel despondent to be honest, things are looking very fecking bleak.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
We are close, close to what exactly? The board should be worried that he's saying we are close to anything positive after being thrashed at Old Trafford by our fiercest rivals.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
For all of his qualities such as united man and knows the club, I thought he would resign. If you have the United DNA, you know you don't deserve to continue after a 5-0 rubbing by Liverpool. Show us the United love by resigning. Go ahead Ole ! It's as much as your club as ours, perhaps even more than many of us.
He loves the money more. Plus he has a massive ego would never admit he isnt good enough.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's hard to believe you're listening to a Manchester United manager and captain, when listening to him and Maguire after the game. I just feel despondent to be honest, things are looking very fecking bleak.
If only Keane was in the Sky studio.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What’s the obsession with him resigning? Why should he do that? Our academy players love the club as well but should we therefore expect of them as well that they reduce their wages, etc.? The club has paid off previous managers and should do the same with him.
And they should really do it tomorrow as I don’t see us even getting a single point in the next few games without a manager change. The morale was already down due to the last few league results and even more now. This is not going to change within the current set-up.

Ludens the Red

I’ve called him average and below average a lot but I think his management this season is actually worse than that and the level of a pub manager.
We know Jose was trying to get sacked in the end and LvG was just too rigid in his ways but Ole is a whole other level of incompetence.

After the Leicester game he said he would be changing things. All he’s done in the following two games is drop Paul Pogba… who he then for some inexplicable reason thought it was a good idea to bring on at 5-0 down.

He bought Jadon Sancho because we needed a right winger. Correct me if I’m wrong but Jadon Sancho hasn’t started a single game at right wing.
What does Donny van De Beek have to do to get a game?
Why did you give Baily a new deal? yet refuse to play him when you’ve got a clearly unfit and completely out of it mentally Harry Maguire stinking the place up every game.

Where was the tactical change that you implied would happen after Leicester?
Other than that pathetic attempt at a high press today which him and his band of moron coaches clearly didn’t work on very well.

He is managing this team at a horrendous level right now and all that shite about “toxicity” under Mourinho and a “positive atmosphere” being at the club now is starting to look laughable as the performances, defending and results reach embarrassing levels.
I dare someone to say that the atmosphere around the club is good. It’s horrible. Players look disinterested, clueless and they mope about feeling sorry for themselves.

He’s been a complete shambles this season. And showing himself to be an even worse manager that people say he is.

Robbie Boy

If only Keane was in the Sky studio.

Was saving that to the lads in the WhstsApp group today.

No point in getting involved in the pile on, but feck me, this is a new low. Even worse knowing Liverpool will be challenging in style again for the PL and CL, while we scramble around for top four, while some lunatics will continue shouting second place and progress. We honestly don't deserve this as fans. It's been 8 fecking wretched years, bar the odd trophy, to mask over poor managerial choices. Ole can't even win a fecking second rate trophy.

I've tried being pragmatic about him, despite having massive doubts, but this is taking the piss. Our fans have honestly been very patient with him, considering he's delivered no trophies and only minor 'progress', which is certainly open to scrutiny and interpretation.

Pearl.Jam

I despise the fact I despise him now..such empty platitudes after every shit show can only take you so far, it’s fookin desperate but there is no way he is walking away from a severance pay off so we’re stuck with him as the rats ain’t gonna fire him.. “I eat too much to die, but not enough to stay alive, I’m sitting in the middle waiting”

L1nk

I'm sure it means nothing but did anyone see the United twitter post of Ole's post game interview by the way?

"Ole's reaction" i'm sure nearly always they post "The boss" not Ole, they even used it before the game and they even called Maguire "The captain" after this, i'm not saying it means anything other than maybe the social media persons annoyance maybe, but I thought it was interesting at least

Eddy_JukeZ

Out of the things Ole has publicly said that he wants his team to do, has he succeeded in anything?

When he came in he wanted us to be fitter than the opponents, be aggressive and putting pressure on the opposition and score easy goals (tap-ins). What has he done in three years to suggest that he is able to implement things he obviously wants from his team? I mean, a monkey can come in and say that they want the team to play good football. Management is about actually making the team do those things, not just saying them.
Nope.

He's an excellent salesman to be honest.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm sure it means nothing but did anyone see the United twitter post of Ole's post game interview by the way?

"Ole's reaction" i'm sure nearly always they post "The boss" not Ole, they even used it before the game and they even called Maguire "The captain" after this, i'm not saying it means anything other than maybe the social media persons annoyance maybe, but I thought it was interesting at least
Don't do this to yourself.

He won't be sacked mid-season.

MUFC OK

I’ve found this season Shaw has neglected his position something shocking he’s never there at left back needs to get back to his defending.
Completely agree. The first atalanta goal and the Jota goal today were almost identical. He's completely abandoned his position.. In that same everton game he did the same thing for Townsends goal.

BlueHaze

No point in getting involved in the pile on, but feck me, this is a new low. Even worse knowing Liverpool will be challenging in style again for the PL and CL, while we scramble around for top four, while some lunatics will continue shouting second place and progress. We honestly don't deserve this as fans. It's been 8 fecking wretched years, bar the odd trophy, to mask over poor managerial choices. Ole can't even win a fecking second rate trophy.

I've tried being pragmatic about him, despite having massive doubts, but this is taking the piss. Our fans have honestly been very patient with him, considering he's delivered no trophies and only minor 'progress', which is certainly open to scrutiny and interpretation.
Have you seen some of his post game interviews and the rubbish that came out of his mouth? Then he stands outside OT giving fans selfies and signatures after a 0-5 trashing against Liverpool. The man doesn't understand what honor means.

Gone through Moyes, LVG and Jose but this guy has genuinely made me frightened of watching our games. I rarely watch em live anymore. I put the game on today without knowing the result and it was 0-4 before half time. I quickly shut it off and felt sick to my stomach. Absolutely unbelieveable, even though I know what an awful coach he is I still can't comprehend how he is this bad.

Red Star One

I’ve called him average and below average a lot but I think his management this season is actually worse than that and the level of a pub manager.
We know Jose was trying to get sacked in the end and LvG was just too rigid in his ways but Ole is a whole other level of incompetence.

After the Leicester game he said he would be changing things. All he’s done in the following two games is drop Paul Pogba… who he then for some inexplicable reason thought it was a good idea to bring on at 5-0 down.

He bought Jadon Sancho because we needed a right winger. Correct me if I’m wrong but Jadon Sancho hasn’t started a single game at right wing.
What does Donny van De Beek have to do to get a game?
Why did you give Baily a new deal? yet refuse to play him when you’ve got a clearly unfit and completely out of it mentally Harry Maguire stinking the place up every game.

Where was the tactical change that you implied would happen after Leicester?
Other than that pathetic attempt at a high press today which him and his band of moron coaches clearly didn’t work on very well.

He is managing this team at a horrendous level right now and all that shite about “toxicity” under Mourinho and a “positive atmosphere” being at the club now is starting to look laughable as the performances, defending and results reach embarrassing levels.
I dare someone to say that the atmosphere around the club is good. It’s horrible. Players look disinterested, clueless and they mope about feeling sorry for themselves.

He’s been a complete shambles this season. And showing himself to be an even worse manager that people say he is.
Spot on, but we can’t be surprised really, he hasn’t shown anything of tactical skill over the years here and it’s as clear as a day he knows much less than your average PL manager about that.

SAFMUTD

Exactly my feelings, seems like I just watched an interview after a 0-1 lost. "Wasn't good enough" "fine margins" "we need to be more clinical".

What the actual feck are they on about its 5-0.

Robbie Boy

Have you seen some of his post game interviews and the rubbish that came out of his mouth? Then he stands outside OT giving fans selfies and signatures after a 0-5 trashing against Liverpool. The man doesn't understand what honor means.
Yup, it's all very embarrassing. He lives off his glory as a player to tug at some fans heartstrings.

redshaw

That’s DDG benched for the next game :lol:

A wake up should come after Leicester, after Villarreal should've been 5-0 up at half time. The loss at home to Villa. Anyway, any huge collective effort is always being undone by Ole and his mistakes, it will only mask the problems if we scrape a counter attack win to City.

We've seen many shockers in Europa, sometimes the player can salvage it just throwing everything out and going for it. Roma away, should've been 8-2, De Gea with god like arkanoid performance, Maguire was in that in that game as he was against Istanbul, keystone cops does not come close to the calamity there. We went 2-1 down at home to Roma and only saved by players abandonment. Our last year is mainly getting bossed or players responding to going a goal or two down. Even the AC Milan tie we couldn't really stand out. Kessie ran the show.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Decent players ? He splashed ton of money on world class and established players, and get feck all worthy to note from them.

Just another chequebook manager. The fact that his defenders were only thinking of splashing more and more money to fix the team problems says it all really.

Our worst manager post Fergie. The one backed the most and achieved the least. The board gave him literally everything and he won feck all.
Let's agree to disagree then. Moyes took the title winning team to the worst finish ever, players never believed him, he made us look like underdogs instead of imposing fear on other teams, brought Fellaini. I mean it's not even a contest. Absolutely his problem that he thought he would get Fabregas, Bale with ease only to end up with the big man and the other small man.

Van Gaal, was supposed to bring some morale and instead in a couple of seasons dismantled the team brought some washed out stars and a lot of players just declined under him, instead of contributing to the inevitable rebuild he pushed us few steps back, while playing no better football than desperate Dave.

Mourinho did exactly the same basically as Van Gaal, brought even more dross to the team and more negative energy, kept the shit players etc. He fluked a Europa league and that's only because of some of the easiest draws I have seen. Nothing needs to be added to it, we have all seen the state of the team which we were left.

Solskjaer may have brought some bad results, and we are rightfully super angry at some of them but at least the palyers he brought and let go and the team morale is not damaged yet. Not in a way other managers left it here. That's what I call stabilizing the team and it certainly shouldn't be enough for him to keep the job, in fact, I am one of his big critiques and called for his head few times before this bad run of games.

The next manager who comes here have a great set of players maybe not exactly trained to play progressive football straight away, but be it someone with good vision, it shouldn't take that much time to implement the ideas, the players we have at disposal are extremely skilled, have good character and will listen and can run through those bricks, they feel they have a chance unfortunately with the current tactics it's not possible, the team is in a good state, mind.

So that's why I think it's a bit harsh and reactionary after such ugly result, it is humiliating but we have been here, need to rise from the dust again. Hopefully with a new manager soon.

unclemao

For a manager who said all the right things (at the start), he delivered on very little. The progression he promised isn't there. The players he bought for certain positions really didnt get a chance to gain experience in those positions. He hasnt really tried anything apart from that double pivot nonsense. He hasn't taken pains to address the standards of coaching when they have proved inadequate. His interviews with each game get worse and motivate no one. The biggest disappointment is that his greatest attraction was his supposed dynamism and he's proven to be incredibly bereft of ideas.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I like that pressure from media now, even the biggest conservatives and people who don't know much about football finally start talking about it loud, except that weirdo and a hypocrite Neville. The sooner Ole will be called out, the sooner we can move on. But judging our ability to react quickly to situations in the past, I think we don't even have a plan b. let's sit there and do nothing it will repair itself.

el3mel

Let's agree to disagree then. Moyes took the title winning team to the worst finish ever, players never believed him, he made us look like underdogs instead of imposing fear on other teams, brought Fellaini. I mean it's not even a contest. Absolutely his problem that he thought he would get Fabregas, Bale with ease only to end up with the big man and the other small man.

Van Gaal, was supposed to bring some morale and instead in a couple of seasons dismantled the team brought some washed out stars and a lot of players just declined under him, instead of contributing to the inevitable rebuild he pushed us few steps back, while playing no better football than desperate Dave.

Mourinho did exactly the same basically as Van Gaal, brought even more dross to the team and more negative energy, kept the shit players etc. He fluked a Europa league and that's only because of some of the easiest draws I have seen. Nothing needs to be added to it, we have all seen the state of the team which we were left.

Solskjaer may have brought some bad results, and we are rightfully super angry at some of them but at least the palyers he brought and let go and the team morale is not damaged yet. Not in a way other managers left it here. That's what I call stabilizing the team and it certainly shouldn't be enough for him to keep the job, in fact, I am one of his big critiques and called for his head few times before this bad run of games.

The next manager who comes here have a great set of players maybe not exactly trained to play progressive football straight away, but be it someone with good vision, it shouldn't take that much time to implement the ideas, the players we have at disposal are extremely skilled, have good character and will listen and can run through those bricks, they feel they have a chance unfortunately with the current tactics it's not possible, the team is in a good state, mind.

So that's why I think it's a bit harsh and reactionary after such ugly result, it is humiliating but we have been here, need to rise from the dust again. Hopefully with a new manager soon.
Most of these points I have already replied on in another discussion thread, so I don't want to repeat myself. I have talked about that rebuild project everyone seem to be talking about and in comparison to the previous managers.

As for Moyes, he inherited a title winning squad indeed, but a squad with most of its best players being old ones playing their last few seasons, some mediocre players that were covered by SAF's abilities and were immediately sold by the next manager after Moyes. This squad needed a massive rebuild, Moyes didn't get any of his signings he wanted and had to sign Fellaini because of no one else available, sacked 8 months in his 6 years contract and wasn't even given a 2nd transfer window.

Not saying Moyes would have succeeded or deserved to stay, but the reality is Ole got the most time, the most backing and achieved the least among all of these managers. If these managers are all shit when they actually achieved more than Ole with less backing and less quality, what that make of Ole, the guy who splashed more than 400m in 3 years and his team still look shit and disjointed mess ?

There's nothing reactionary in it. He's an awful coach. Always has been.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

It's frustrating. It's a shit feeling to be thrashed by a club like City but for me it's even worse to be thrashed by a club that's on a level playing field to us. Big difference between United and Liverpool is they have a world class manager that's a proven winner and he's built something special there. Their whole fanbase are behind him and the players. Would kill for that at United again.

Ole's took us far as he can. I would've loved to see him lift silverware here but I'm afraid that's not going to happen and we need to move forward now. There's no coming back from this in my opinion. But who am I kidding, the club will hang on to him and make things worse.

Idxomer

He isn't an honest manager, his treatment of VDB and other instances like those interviews have proved that without a doubt.

Robbie Boy

It's frustrating. It's a shit feeling to be thrashed by a club like City but for me it's even worse to be thrashed by a club that's on a level playing field to us. Big difference between United and Liverpool is they have a world class manager that's a proven winner and he's built something special there. Their whole fanbase are behind him and the players. Would kill for that at United again.

Ole's took us far as he can. I would've loved to see him lift silverware here but I'm afraid that's not going to happen and we need to move forward now. There's no coming back from this in my opinion. But who am I kidding, the club will hang on to him and make things worse.
Agree with all of that. And yeah, the depressing thing is, he won't be going anywhere for a while yet. If he survives this - which I suspect he will - I think he'll survive a good few more shocking results. It's a fecking grimm situation.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Nope.

He's an excellent salesman to be honest.
He's not though. Everyone sees through his empty talk. Supporters of every other team see through it, every journalist sees through it, most United supporters do.

Are we waiting for Woodward to leave? And will he leave leave, or just leave the spotlight?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Since Ole-inners are probably having even tougher time than the rest of us, I prepared a list of excuses for Ole/reasons for him to stay for them so that they can pick and choose them freely:

1. If Bruno scored the first chance we would win.
2. We were just unlucky and did not finish chances but Liverpool did.
3. Players let Ole down.
4. Fergie lost 1-6 and 0-5 two times. See, Ole is just like him.
5. Fergie was also not as good tactically as in other field. See, Ole is just like him.
6. We persisted with Fergie and hit jackpot - might hit it again. Because Ole is just like him.
7. Ole did wonders to finish 2nd with such a shit squad. Also, he assembled a great squad.
8. Only 3 points from top4 after just 9 games. No reason to panic.
9. Ole assembled a great squad, identifying Ronaldo, Varane, Cavani and Sancho was a stroke of genius. But shame that board forced the likes of VdB on him.
10. Ole himself cleared a lot of deadwood. Shame the board fought against him and extended Grant, Mata, Jones, Pereira and Bailly contracts.
11. We are top of the group in CL.
12. Great comebacks! Would have done one against Liverpool if not for Ronaldo's offside.
13. A caretaker would only make things worse. If he does not have "United DNA" of course.
14. Changing the mangers is only United Way if an existing manager does not have United DNA and the new one does. Since Ole does have it, no reason to change.
14. Ole plays lots of young players in a united way. Greenwood, Greenwood, Greenwood, Greenwood and Greenwood! And also Amad played once.
15. Ole did great against big teams two years ago.
16. Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City were in perpetual crisis over the last many years. This year Ole was ready to take the title but very unluckily they all started to be great all at once. He cannot be expected to compete with them.
17. Varane was injured. Ole spent only 130m on the remaining defense. So he cannot be held accountable for defense performances. Have you seen Pep's spending on defense?!
18. The atmosphere is great, the boyzzz are buzzing. No other coach could possibly replicate it, even if he wins trophies.
19. Klopp also started slowly at Liverpool. It is a process, a transition. It is not finished, we went too far to break it. Ole needs another 3-4 world class players before he can be judged.
20. Ole cannot be expected to make top4 let alone challenge the title without signing a DM. It is obvious that the board banned him from doing so over the last 3 years.
21. No managers available
22. Glazers need to go first

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I genuinely think if we were in the Carabao still, he'd be safe, but I think a week of pressure will make the board act. Today's result is just completely unacceptable and no coming back from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.