Ole Gunnar Solskjær handling of injuries

Ludens the Red

Lots of Ole threads but I think this needs one of its own because it’s something that’s been brewing all season and with the Rashford news there needs be some serious questions asked.

The main issue I have is Ole’s transparency with telling us about our injured players. Either two things are happening, either he’s lying and downplaying injuries to the fans or he doesn’t know about the extent of our injuries (yet Mr Winter and other journos seem to) now whichever way you answer that question, Ole looks bad, really bad.

Martial, Shaw, Pogba, McTominay and now Rashford. Players who have all had long term injuries this season yet Ole has come out and provided incorrect return dates for all of these players. All of these players Ole made light of their injuries yet we didn’t see them for months. If it happens once fine but it’s multiple times.
Why is he stood in front of a camera telling us Rashford is out for a few weeks yet there’s reports of 3-4 months. Just what the feck is going on?

Secondly the failure to take a stand against Maguire and Rashford. So Maguire is limping like feck against Wolves but apparently is kept on because Maguire told the manager he was fine.
Then we hear Rashford is telling Ole he wants to play on, despite the fact Ole knows he’s carrying knocks. Who’s the manager here? Why are injured players telling the manager when they can and can’t play or be subbed off?

All of this is really really bad and just doesn’t paint Ole in a good light. Because it’s either he doesn’t know the extent of our injuries(yet journalists do) or he’s being untruthful and is risking injuries to our key players.

lysglimt

Scout
Lots of Ole threads but I think this needs one of its own because it’s something that’s been brewing all season and with the Rashford news there needs be some serious questions asked.

The main issue I have is Ole’s transparency with telling us about our injured players. Either two things are happening, either he’s lying and downplaying injuries to the fans or he doesn’t know about the extent of our injuries (yet Mr Winter and other journos seem to) now whichever way you answer that question, Ole looks bad, really bad.

Martial, Shaw, Pogba, McTominay and now Rashford. Players who have all had long term injuries this season yet Ole has come out and provided incorrect return dates for all of these players. All of these players Ole made light of their injuries yet we didn’t see them for months. If it happens once fine but it’s multiple times.
Why is he stood in front of a camera telling us Rashford is out for a few weeks yet there’s reports of 3-4 months. Just what the feck is going on?

Secondly the failure to take a stand against Maguire and Rashford. So Maguire is limping like feck against Wolves but apparently is kept on because Maguire told the manager he was fine.
Then we hear Rashford is telling Ole he wants to play on, despite the fact Ole knows he’s carrying knocks. Who’s the manager here? Why are injured players telling the manager when they can and can’t play or be subbed off?

All of this is really really bad and just doesn’t paint Ole in a good light. Because it’s either he doesn’t know the extent of our injuries(yet journalists do) or he’s being untruthful and is risking injuries to our key players.
There were reports that Maguire would be out for a long time as well - and he was back 1 week later.

Dan_F

Just said this another thread, but I’m not sure how long Fred can go before he’s in muscle injury territory.

Footyislife

The bigger concern here is really an amateur coach who has no idea how to run and build a squad for a top level club.

With the amount of fixtures you have to have a deeper squad with rotation options that extend beyond unproven youth players.

Think of all our big injuries Martial, Pogba, Rashford, Scot all of those have come in Ole's reign for just brutally overworking these players to playing 2 games a week. Ask yourself at what other top club do you see star players player 3 games in 7 days...

That is the real crime here as it's hurting us in the short term but also long term with these players development. I don't care if Rashford wants to play every game, I'd play him in 1 a week max, and maybe limited minutes if CL is involved.

0le

I think its probably down to a small squad and his realization that some of the youth players aren't quite ready yet (namely Chong and Garner, and maybe Gomes too).

Paul_Scholes18

He is not dealing with injuries well that is for sure. We have had injuries before, but the managers have often taken the time before playing them again.
Now we seem to rush everything.
It is hard to know who to fully blame. Feels like our medical team is pretty poor though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We left the squad criminally weak on numbers and quality, so are being forced to play the best team repeatedly, due to there being an outrageous drop off in quality to the fringe players.

Therefore, it's fairly inevitable you'll rack the injuries up. It's just unfortunate ours have involved the three critical importance flair and attacking players who have then been out, or will be out months.

MrSingh2002

His handling of injured players and playing players who are clearly red lining is disgraceful. Makes a mockery of the trained medical staff.

He's just another Moyes and should be treated in the same way. With a P45.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Absolute horse shit.

We have recruitment and HR like any large fecking businesss for this sort of shit.
The media try to scrape as many United crisis stories together as possible. They’re the hottest things going right now!

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Absolute horse shit.

We have recruitment and HR like any large fecking businesss for this sort of shit.
Soon they'll have us believe Woodward is at fault for reception desk being untidy because hes also senior admin. Woodward is every single position in the organisation.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It is strange how Ole keeps telling us dates but then the player is out for ages. As soon as Ole said Rashford might be back for today's game I joked that he'll be out for months then, and now look..

Utdstar01

I also thought Maguire looked like he was playing injured today too.

Tarrou

His handling of injured players and playing players who are clearly red lining is disgraceful. Makes a mockery of the trained medical staff.

He's just another Moyes and should be treated in the same way. With a P45.
are you suggesting the medical staff advised one thing and Ole overruled them?

Popcorn

I think the bigger question is “do we have more injuries than other comparable teams”. We all know we went into the season short of first team players, but we do seem to have an injury crisis every season. The cafe was expecting it, so why was not Ole?

Is it our training methods ? Our training surface? Bad luck? Normal luck? Style of play? Schedule?

dave1956

There are questions to be answered in respect of both our medical team and Ole's management of player's injuries. Now if the medical team failed to recognise Rashford's back pain as spondylolysis and either mistreated him and allowed him to play or did they recognise the problem and advise the manager the type of injury and advise him that the player should not be selected and treatment started. If the medical team failed to initially recognise the type of injury then we need to replace our medical team. If Ole disregarded their advice then he should be sacked because this condition if not correctly managed and treated could become a chronic medical problem for Rashford given his age and be a career ending injury and life long problem.

Jibbs

His man management and handling of injuries alone is a firing offense.

Denis79

There are questions to be answered in respect of both our medical team and Ole's management of player's injuries. Now if the medical team failed to recognise Rashford's back pain as spondylolysis and either mistreated him and allowed him to play or did they recognise the problem and advise the manager the type of injury and advise him that the player should not be selected and treatment started. If the medical team failed to initially recognise the type of injury then we need to replace our medical team. If Ole disregarded their advice then he should be sacked because this condition if not correctly managed and treated could become a chronic medical problem for Rashford given his age and be a career ending injury and life long problem.
It's hard to believe a medical team missed something like this tbh.

el3mel

Honestly this is starting to irritate me far more than his tactics, subs or results. The way he is managing injured players by rushing them before being fully healed has made a thin squad looks even worse.

Denis79

It’s also hard to believe that Ole would go against qualified medical advice.
True unless Rashford asked himself to play and Ole let him. I don't believe for one second Ole would force an injured player to play but letting someone who really wants to is possible. Even if the medical team don't recommend it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This thread really had to come. His dealing with injured players and players coming back from injury is simply indefensible. Atrocious.

And yet he's supposed to be looking out for the club and not saving his own managerial reign. Well, seems the other way around to me very much at the cost of harming the team.

dave1956

Well there are in my opinion only two ways to look at this and both raise serious concerns : either A The medical failed to recognise the condition and treat accordingly or B They did and the manager ignored their prognosis and allowed the player to both train and play.
This is a medical condition as I have previously stated could become a chronic problem if not treated correctly over a period of time certainly it will not clear up in a few days as suggested by our manager.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
His man management and handling of injuries alone is a firing offense.
It really is. Rashford is a 100m + asset and injuries like these could take significant time of his career, or impair his speed and movement. A human body can only take so much.

It is a massive failing and it has disappointed me far more than the result.

Fred will be next.

SteveW

If his back was hurt it was going to happen eventually and he was going to have some time out. Resting him against Wolves wasn't going to make any difference in the overall scheme of things. Blaming Ole is a bit strange. Club doctors would be the ones assessing it.

Wish Ed would sign someone so we can stop running players into the ground.

redshaw

Ole doesn't seem to be learning from his mistakes. It's backfired spectacularly, we even have reports in the papers asking him to open his eyes before he's out for a long time. McTom, Pogba, Rashford, Maguire, Jesse last season.

Top 4 funnily enough would be realistic had we had a few more available. We'll see when we get some midfielders back can Greenwood step in but I think Ole has fecked it now with our best player out for so long.

Ole, the board, the other training staff, it's just mistake after mistake. Lukaku is out the club 5 minutes and Inter find his digestive problem.

Last edited:

dave1956

With regards to the player wanting to play. I am sure had it been me and the type of injury I would not want to play. Ole is the manager he decides who plays and who does not. So if Rashford insisted on playing Ole should have told him that because of the injury and on the advice of the medical team he would not be selected to play. As manager he cannot use the defence that the player wanted to play despite the injury. Again it comes down to either he was badly informed by the medical team or he iscarded that advice

Denis79

With regards to the player wanting to play. I am sure had it been me and the type of injury I would not want to play. Ole is the manager he decides who plays and who does not. So if Rashford insisted on playing Ole should have told him that because of the injury and on the advice of the medical team he would not be selected to play. As manager he cannot use the defence that the player wanted to play despite the injury. Again it comes down to either he was badly informed by the medical team or he iscarded that advice
I still find it hard to believe that a medical team that has responsibility for the clubs most important assets missed something like this.

Paul_Scholes18

I think the bigger question is “do we have more injuries than other comparable teams”. We all know we went into the season short of first team players, but we do seem to have an injury crisis every season. The cafe was expecting it, so why was not Ole?

Is it our training methods ? Our training surface? Bad luck? Normal luck? Style of play? Schedule?
Must be how we train and treat the injuries. Although have we not changed the fitness team and the medical staff since when we had SAF?
If we are changing it and still get injuries all the time there must be something else behind it.
Some players we buy might be injury prone, but never see the same problems with other teams.

Liverpool are pretty insane with how few injuries they get even though they never rotates the team. Funnily enough it is the backup players that gets injuried for them and not the key guys that always plays. Chelsea pretty good too at keeping the players healthy.

dave1956

I still find it hard to believe that a medical team that has responsibility for the clubs most important assets missed something like this.
There in my mind are only two conclusions either (a) the medical team missed the scope of the injury and miss treated and advised both the player and manager or (b) the manager discarded their advice and allowed the player to continue training and play.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
These are the stakes being a manager at a club like this. You have to make informed choices that not only get results, but protect players from injuries.

The problem isn’t just Ole, he is the had of it, but it’s a demise of standards across the board.

We need a new manager, with their own proven coaching and medical staff. Moyes ripped the heart out of United and it’s never been rebuilt properly.

Obviously the real issue is leaving a buffoon like Woodward in charge of it all. It’s a mess, but at least a top coach and professional team would have us looking forward.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Our injuries are a fecking curse to us, and have been for years, who knows why. What doesn’t help though, is forcing players to rush back and play way too soon. We’ve lost Pogba and Rashford now from doing this, and that lies with the manager.

I think Maguire is probably carrying something as well, hence him looking half the player he should be.

Denis79

There in my mind are only two conclusions either (a) the medical team missed the scope of the injury and miss treated and advised both the player and manager or (b) the manager discarded their advice and allowed the player to continue training and play.
You're right but with all that money involved, hell Rashford is a 100M+ asset. I find it very hard they would miss something like this, if they did we'll read in the coming days how someone from the medical staff is sacked at the club if not it just leaves option B.

Ludens the Red

Thats the the thing isnt it, someone somewhere is showing gross incompetence and or negligence. Whichever way you look at it or whatever the answer is, it ends with more amateurish decision making by Manchester United.

Eddy_JukeZ

Someone had to have known Rashford had a single back stress fracture before the Wolves game.

The NBSCN commentators said he had one prior to the game, but then after the game, had a double.

It's impossible that this wasn't known by someone at the club.

And now because of gross negligence, Rashford is out for a lengthy period.

Hawks2008

Negligent if he knew about Rashford's injury before the wolves game and even selfish to throw him on because he was desperate to get one over wolves.

Back injuries are no joke, who knows how this could affect him long term.