Ole Gunnar Solskjær needs more time and respect at Manchester United

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
may have been posted already in one of the threads but I think this message deserves more exposure against the growing tide of hate aimed at Ole.

Ole Gunnar Solskjær needs more time and respect at Manchester United
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...r-more-time-respect-manchester-united-manager
The choice is simple: potential long-term success under Solskjær or guaranteed long-term failure under a load of different managers

It has been widely reported, not entirely without glee, that Manchester United have had their worst start to a league season since 1989-90. Plenty of those reports have excluded one not insignificant detail; that the manager of the club back then was Alex Ferguson.

It is easy to forget how truly abysmal Ferguson’s United were between 1988 and 1990. They made the current lot look like freewheeling entertainers by comparison. In April 1989, United scored one goal in five games – and that was an own goal by Tony Adams, all his own work.

The subsequent success of Ferguson should logically carry the power of a judicial precedent. But giving managers time is an endangered concept, and there is a good chance that Manchester United’s endless transition will continue with a fourth change of manager in six years.

There are understandable concerns that the scale of the job is too great for Ole Gunnar Solskjær. But no one really knows; not Solskjær himself, certainly not Twitter’s finest. And the rush to print another P45 wilfully ignores both mitigating circumstances for their recent form and the good work that Solskjær has done since taking over.

Solskjær is the first manager since Ferguson who has attempted to rebuild rather than live hand to mouth and game to game. United have been decaying since the Glazers pillaged them in 2005. Ferguson’s genius masked that for a time, but now United are back where he found them, in urgent need of change from top to bottom.

Of the four managers at Old Trafford since Ferguson, Solskjær has been easily the best in the transfer market. His signings so far are both instant hits and part of a long-term plan. His predecessors bought all kinds of wrong, in terms of ability, character or both, and José Mourinho in particular has some front playing the mistreated sage given all he had to show for spending £350m.

Solskjær has been widely criticised for not replacing Romelu Lukaku, but he recognised that teams with Lukaku in them don’t win trophies. Solskjær wanted more from a No 9, and effectively replaced Lukaku with Anthony Martial (who in turn was replaced by Daniel James). That decision looked inspired in the first few games, with Martial sharper than at any stage since his first season at the club. Then he injured a thigh against Crystal Palace.

Solskjær was without six of his first-choice team in the last match at Newcastle. United may be 12th in the league but they are flying high in one table; only Norwich City have more players out through injury. Solskjær inherited an inadequate, poisonous mess of a squad, put together by four managers, and now he has a major injury crisis as well. In any sane culture these are mitigating circumstances.

Those who aren’t injured are painfully low on confidence; and, unlike his predecessors, Solskjær does not have a peak David de Gea turning defeats into draws and draws into wins. Good luck to anyone in those circumstances. Pep Guardiola could defect to Old Trafford tomorrow, citing a long-standing ambition to work with Phil Jones, and it would make no difference in the short term. There is no quick fix at United. The mess is too great. They hired the king of instant success in Mourinho and even that didn’t really work out. United have a simple choice between potential long-term success under Solskjær and guaranteed long‑term failure under a load of different managers.

It would be unfair to say there is an anti-Solskjær agenda in the media but there is certainly an anti-Solskjær mood

This should be an exciting time for United supporters, a chance to potentially experience a modern equivalent of the magical rebirth under Tommy Docherty. And any success under Solskjær would be worth far more than under somebody such as Mourinho or David Moyes.

There is no point denying that United’s attacking play in recent matches has been dreadful. The team look like they have forgotten how to shoot, never mind score, and it’s hard to reconcile some of Solskjær’s recent decisions and demeanour with the shiny, happy manager who took over at the end of last year. But the fact he won 14 of his first 17 games counts for something.

Under Solskjær, United have been both thrilling and boring; aggressive and passive; tactically smart and tactically rigid. It’s unusual and confusing, but until we see more – a lot more – we can’t know which is representative. Given the scale of the job, and especially his status at United, he deserves time to come to terms with it. Even Ferguson – Sir Alex Bloody Ferguson, the greatest manager in history – looked out of his depth for a few years. Solskjær also deserves far more respect, particularly from United fans. (On this subject, I speak with the evangelical zeal of the reformed moron.)

Ole Gunnar Solskjær is operating amid ‘a culture of instant gratification, unrealistic expectations and brattish demands’. Photograph: Nigel French/PA
Advertisement
It would be unfair to say there is an anti-Solskjær agenda in the media, both traditional and social, not least because that would give far too much credit to a scattergun process. But there is certainly an anti-Solskjær mood. There are probably a few reasons for this – the reliability of a United bad-news story, residual hatred from the Ferguson years and a frankly pathetic snobbery about Scandinavian football. Most of all, there is a culture of instant gratification, unrealistic expectations and brattish demands that has made football management harder than ever.

That mood has, probably unconsciously, contributed to a certain economy with the truth in the reporting of United this season. There has been little talk of their injuries and markedly improved defence, and hardly any of the fact they were robbed by VAR against Crystal Palace and Arsenal. Even our new friend Expected Goals, who normally has plenty to say, has gone quiet.

At the end of last season there were plenty of self-satisfied observations that Solskjær should not have been given the job permanently because his xG wasn’t very good even when he was winning twice a week. Few have commented on United’s xG this season, which has them third in every table we could find on the internet. Even those of us who don’t really care for xG would accept that, if the prosecution is able to use it as evidence, then the defence should be allowed to as well.

Solskjær is second on the expected sackings list, behind Everton’s Marco Silva. There isn’t just a sacking culture in football; in the media, certainly, it’s a sacking cult. Every time a manager is under pressure we get the same rituals; the same bloodlust; the same grave expression on newsreaders’ faces as we are solemnly informed that so-and-so’s weekly press conference is scheduled for 10am.

There is no greater indictment of football’s descent into reality TV than the infantile nonsense that has made it normal, almost compulsory, to get rid of a manager at the first sign of trouble. That big old mess in the White House; he’d have sacked Solskjær already. There has to be a moral in that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I dont believe anyone hates the mate, he's a club legend. He's just out of his depth and shouldn't be in the position he's in. That's not his fault though, it's on those who decided he was the man for the job

fergiesarmy1

If he does manage to stop this ship sinking there are going to be a lot of apologies needed on here.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I dont believe anyone hates the mate, he's a club legend. He's just out of his depth and shouldn't be in the position he's in. That's not his fault though, it's on those who decided he was the man for the job
Agreed hate is too stong a word. I would think over 90% of fans wouldn't hate him whatever he does.

Dr. StrangeHate

He deserves more respect but not more time. Manchester United is not a training course for average managers to learn their trade.

Greck

More clichés. The article just lists of all the laziest, sentiment driven arguments that are spouted on here everyday. Whoever briefed the media needs to start using their eyes on matchday if they think fans are only concerned about Ole because of the results

The fact that they're having to launch this PR offensive like we've already lost to Liverpool is also amusing

Skills

Snitch
More clichés. The article just lists of all the laziest, sentiment driven arguments that are spouted on here everyday. Whoever briefed the media needs to start using their eyes on matchday if they think fans are only concerned about Ole because of the results
They're trying to fabricate a narrative that good performances are being let down by a lack of quality.

macheda14

Ahh Rob Smyth the journo who though Fergie was done in 2006, didn't rate Rio, thought we had turned Ronaldo into a run-of-the-mill winger.

'Liverpool's Spice Boys were bad, but they have nothing on Merk Berks like Ferdinand, Richardson and Wes Brown.'

'Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham have all made shrewd, cheap signings and are going in one direction. United are going the other way: they are hugely dependent on Ferdinand and Rooney, but no number of Carling Cup medals is going to sate their ambition.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/jul/31/sport.comment (It actually makes for a great read in this dark times)

If he says give Ole time, we need to get rid sharpish.

TsuWave

The choice is simple: potential long-term success under Solskjær or guaranteed long-term failure under a load of different managers
:lol::lol: can't take stuff like this seriously.

Solskjaer is out of his depth and needs to be sacked. Nice fella though.

Greck

They're trying to fabricate a narrative that good performances are being let down by a lack of quality.
Rubbish. The building blocks of a solid project would have started to reflect in our play in the form of patterns and synchronised passing. This late into his tenure every one that gets the ball shouldn't still be taking 3 seconds to weigh up their next move. That's what training is supposed to eliminate. That's the fine margin that matters right now

Skills

Snitch
Rubbish. The building blocks of a solid project would have started to reflect in our play in the form of patterns and synchronised passing. This late into his tenure every one that gets the ball shouldn't still be taking 3 seconds to weigh up their next move. That's what training is supposed to eliminate. That's the fine margin that matters right now
What the feck are you watching? You know we're the team that usually plays in red right?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I absolutely love Ole the player but Ole the manager is nowhere near good enough for this club and there is absolutely no "potential long-term success under Solskjær". It's like saying there's potential for someone to have sex with Scarlett Johannesen so they should hold off on attempting to find another relationship.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think he will get till the end of the season, if we have improved then he will be allowed more time. If he is given more time it will still be a long job as not sure the players he is being linked with from the PL will turn us into contenders, better, but nowhere near contenders.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He deserves more respect but not more time. Manchester United is not a training course for average managers to learn their trade.
Anyone that comes in now will also struggle due to the depth and lack of talent here.

Why get rid of him without a clear plan in his replacement.

If there were a load of managers we could choose from then great but we aren't going to pay a wedge to get a manager out of his contract while we still have this depleted average squad.

He will not be sacked anytime soon.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One thing that I don't understand about the more time argument is that before his hiring in December, rare are the people that would have suggested that Ole deserved the job or was qualified to have it, since he has had a good couple of months and the rest has been dreadful. There is nothing to support that he deserves more time, the club could give him more time but it wouldn't be based on merit.

Greck

What the feck are you watching? You know we're the team that usually plays in red right?
I was agreeing with you. I'm the one who made the post criticising him in the first place, remember?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What exactly has he done to deserve respect as a manager? As a player undoubtably, but as a manager?

He has us playing horrific football with no pattern of play no distinct style, nothing. Just a group of individuals lumped together on a field.

He’s out of his depth and he won’t turn this around.

TsuWave

The fact that they're having to launch this PR offensive like we've already lost to Liverpool is also amusing
Agreed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I was agreeing with you. I'm the one who made the post criticising him in the first place, remember?
The "rubbish" was confusing, I wondered why you were dismissing someone that is agreeing with you.:lol:

DomesticTadpole

I would imagine that every teams fans bar ours would love him to be handed a ten year contract at the moment. It might change and things will get better, but if it is a disaster then a lot of heads will roll. Wonder how the Glazers would react to relegation as it does not exist in professional American sport?

DomesticTadpole

I'm not on about how people have spoken purely about his ability as a manager. I'm talking about the way he is even spoken about as a person. That's where I'm saying he deserves more respect.
Of course he does, people are getting far too personal. He might not be up to the job, but he is a club legend and deserves respect for that. He has the club at heart, it might come good, none of us can see into the future.

Superden

This is the internet. People spew hatred and personal insults like confetti. All because someone may not be doing their job as well as some people would like. It really is sad.

Reactions: Rood

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

you think this article comes from the club? you obviously havent read it properly, its pretty clear that that it doesnt since he says that the club is "in urgent need of change from top to bottom."

Rockets Redglare

I love Ole and massively respect everything he did as a player for the club, but he’s out of his depth as manager and shouldn’t be in the role.

Nothing would be better than me being proven wrong about that, but I just don’t see it happening.

settembrini

The OP is generally correct. Solskjaer needs more time and I'm sure he will get it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It is quite true that he is the first manager of the lot that were hired who was prepared to embrace the pain of immediate failure to build a better squad for the longer term.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Ive seen some pretty ridiculous comments in a few threads here now about Ole - its fair to criticise his managerial record but there is a lot of personal bile being posted against him which I was surprised by considering his history with the club and the mess he inherited

fergiesarmy1

Ive seen some pretty ridiculous comments in a few threads here now about Ole - its fair to criticise his managerial record but there is a lot of personal bile being posted against him which I was surprised by
Agreed, pretty distasteful stuff considering who they are talking about.

Greck

The "rubbish" was confusing, I wondered why you were dismissing someone that is agreeing with you.:lol:
The joys of written communication. You have to wonder how many wars were actually started because of a poorly worded letter

Enigma_87

You know who
Well he relegated Cardiff from PL. Was on course to relegate then from Championship as well but wasn’t given time.

He’s on course to relegate is too, given the time.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The OP is generally correct. Solskjaer needs more time and I'm sure he will get it.
What's he done in the last 12 months to mean that, in your eyes, he deserves more time here?

Has he proven he's a good leader? has he proven he's tactically astute? Has he proven he's a good motivator? Has he gotten good results? Has he consistently looked like he's improving the way we play and is showing signs of implementing the sort of football we want to see? Do we look like a fitter team? Are our players performing better under him? Are we progressing or regressing as a team?

These are the questions that are generally asked when you say you want to give a struggling manager more time so I'm curious as to what your answers would be.