Ole Gunnar Solskjær needs more time and respect at Manchester United

ArjenIsM3

I've seen people on here saying we need to give him a few years, but they're hopefully wums, if so they should probably just be binned from here though.
Yeah let's just ban anyone who has a different opinion. I mean, surely they're wums if they disagree with you?!

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah let's just ban anyone who has a different opinion. I mean, surely they're wums if they disagree with you?!
I just can't understand anyone genuinely thinking he should get years even if we're showing no signs of improvement, it's illogical. Rest of the season? Aye fair enough, but years to implement this supposed identity and style of play? Nah.

Nikelesh Reddy

He deserves the same time,respect that every United manager has got since SAF retired,and he should also be judged by the same standards that we”ve judged every manager since SAF.Moyes,LVG,Mourinho were sacked because they didnt(weren’t looking) like qualifying for the CL and there was no discernible progress in the teams style of play.

If we qualify for the CL or if there’s tangible,clear progress in our style of play till the end of the season,then he deserves to get another season.If we fail to qualify for the CL and if there isn’t great improvement in our performances,then he should be sacked come May,as simple as that....

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's deluded to think any average manager will turn into SAF if he is given 5 years.
Nobody has said he will so stop making up points.

Ole so far has bought 3 good signings that fit the club in terms of attitude and talent. He has been dreadfully unlucky with injuries but he should get judged over a couple of windows before you can say his project isn’t working.

No manager in world football would fix our problems in one window. He needs time and I’ve consistently said I don’t think Ole will be the man to win us titles but I am certain he will add the right players to the squad.

ArjenIsM3

I just can't understand anyone genuinely thinking he should get years even if we're showing no signs of improvement, it's illogical. Rest of the season? Aye fair enough, but years to implement this supposed identity and style of play? Nah.
That's not the issue though is it. It's the measure of "improvement" that's constantly being debated. The ones wanting to give him time see what he's doing, or trying to do at least. Both on and off the pitch. Most others only look at the results. They go by the league table. Top four or get the feck out. Which is fair enough but not something everyone agrees with. They are the ones who have been calling for his head for weeks, spouting crap about relegation etc. In fecking October. Wanting to give him years to fix our dire squad and implement his style doesn't mean "no matter what". It's not like they want him to stay on if he gets us relegated. They just don't care if we don't manage top 4 this season. It's about the long term for them.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Hopefully we can go on a run to ease the pressure. Ole's tenure depends on good results the next few games. yesterday was a good start.

SER19

I hope things kick on for him or at least improve, he’s got a core of players now playing well that fans I’m sure collectively like and don’t doubt in their attitudes which is the first time we can say that in a long time,

Maguire, wan Bisakka, James, McTominay, Rashford are playing with the work rate and heart most want to see. Pereira is also slowly starting to show whatever it is solskjaer see In him.That 3 were solskjaers signings would hopefully bode well over the next couple of transfer windows, should solskjaer get them.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I hope things kick on for him or at least improve, he’s got a core of players now playing well that fans I’m sure collectively like and don’t doubt in their attitudes which is the first time we can say that in a long time,

Maguire, wan Bisakka, James, McTominay, Rashford are playing with the work rate and heart most want to see. Pereira is also slowly starting to show whatever it is solskjaer see In him.That 3 were solskjaers signings would hopefully bode well over the next couple of transfer windows, should solskjaer get them.
I think we need another three to four players. A ten and two MFs certainly. Maybe a RW but we James looks promising there. And a covering striker.

I think we will buy a MF in January and then three players in the summer.

lysglimt

Scout
Rashford and Scott was always going to stay here. I don't know why you think they'll leave. Academy players, getting giga money and playing regularly for their original club.

McTominay yes - Rashford ? I am not so sure he would have stayed with Mourinho.

Thepinhead

This was actually something I thought to myself when watching the game. Man I actually am starting to like these players. Pereira, James, Mctominay and Fred might not be the most talented in the world but they work their hearts out every game and I can't ask for more in a time where we just simply can't attract the best players in the World.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
No but I think at least 1 more window (ideally 2) is not too much to expect before being judged.

I dont even disagree with your last point - you will have heard me on the podcast saying that I would still take Pochettino.
Pretty good performance against Norwich. If those kind of performances start to become regular I will have zero complaints. Hope we can keep this up against more defensive teams and I hope we sort out our far-too-frequent muscle injuries. Big ifs though.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I would wait and see where Ole goes from here, you've had a good week taking points off Liverpool (noone else has done that) winning with your B team in the EL and then a comprehensive thrashing of Norwich. Not the best but certainly not the worst, but it maybe that Ole can do something that no post Ferguson manager has managed which is to turn the ship around when things are looking dire, if he does that over the next month or so, I would think that's quite an achievement. Jose certainly couldn't do it.

Gasolin

I dont believe anyone hates the mate, he's a club legend. He's just out of his depth and shouldn't be in the position he's in. That's not his fault though, it's on those who decided he was the man for the job
That's the lack of respect, right there. Unbelievable... but I guess that's the world we live in. I still think what he's trying to achieve is visible and it will come to fruition. Confidence is everything in football and once we get that back, we will have a very different team on the pitch.

Gasolin

But Jose was really better then Ole. His record, game style. The team performed brilliant comebacks under his coaching. Only mindless haters can argue with that. Ridiculos is the thing that Ed fired Jose and gave permanent contract to the one who performs the worst version of Jose's football. So why the hell we fired Jose? Ole plays so-called "defensive football" and fails even in that.
We've had brilliant come back under Ole too, we had a run of victories we haven't had for a while.
I truly believe Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has something in term of tactics, on half time, his tactics are never that bad. We tend to lose on the second half often, I think that's something that either get addressed by scoring more goals in the first half when we are actually playing well most of the time (check half time scores that put us 2nd in the league) or by improving on the lapse of focus that are costing us goals. Either way, there is a pattern of play we are trying to do in my opinion.

For me, the biggest problem Solskjaer is currently facing is simply mental. Tactic wise, I'm sorry, but we have the right principles. Our players were often afraid. How Ole sorts their mind is going to be the key, and hopefully, he's doing that. We should have won that Liverpool game, without that error, we are winning 2 games in a row and the confidence would be very different.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
That's the lack of respect, right there. Unbelievable... but I guess that's the world we live in. I still think what he's trying to achieve is visible and it will come to fruition. Confidence is everything in football and once we get that back, we will have a very different team on the pitch.
Nail on head.

nickyboy1981

I think that rather than being unlucky with injuries it's a symptom of fixing the poor physical shape the squad was in under Mourinho who's tactics didnt require high intensity, the same thing happened when Klopp took over Liverpool if I remember right.
His reluctance to make substitutions for me is down to the fact that we haven't had anyone to bring on as a result.

I do feel he needs more time, wether or not he gets it is another matter. I dont think were that far away, another forward to rotate Martial, another midfielder who can actually pass and retain possession and provide cover for our defence ala Carrick, maybe another winger, oh and another world class CB wouldn't go amiss.

If he does go I feel his signings will have paved the way for an upturn over the next couple of years.

pacifictheme

Its not a lack of respect to have an opinion and respect should be earned, not freely given. You're coming off like a zealot. Simply put ole was a great player for the club, but that does not mean he should be given respect beyond what his managerial career entitles him to.

There are way too many posters here incapable of seperating the player from the manager despite what they claim. If these results were from almost any other manager far fewer people would defend them.

I have no idea whether he should be sacked or not. I like what he is trying to achieve but haven't been convinced of his ability to pull it off yet.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We did also just drew against the champions of europe with a team still missing a lot of key players from injury.
Getting a point against Liverpool at home. That's the stuff Dreams are made off

devilish

Its not a lack of respect to have an opinion and respect should be earned, not freely given. You're coming off like a zealot. Simply put ole was a great player for the club, but that does not mean he should be given respect beyond what his managerial career entitles him to.

There are way too many posters here incapable of seperating the player from the manager despite what they claim. If these results were from almost any other manager far fewer people would defend them.

I have no idea whether he should be sacked or not. I like what he is trying to achieve but haven't been convinced of his ability to pull it off yet.
If he was a great player then he wouldn't have been put on the bench by Andy Cole. It took RvN seconds to put that one on the bench and the same would have happened if SAF got his targets (batigol or Shearer) . Ole was a decent goal poacher. He was a great asset to have on the bench and he was a steal for the price we paid for but he wasn't first team level

About the rest I agree.

pacifictheme

If he was a great player then he wouldn't have been put on the bench by Andy Cole. It took RvN seconds to put that one on the bench and the same would have happened if SAF got his targets (batigol or Shearer) . Ole was a decent goal poacher. He was a great asset to have on the bench and he was a steal for the price we paid for but he wasn't first team level

About the rest I agree.
Don't want to derail this thread but being benched by andy cole is no shame. He was a fantastic player and i will fight anyone who disagrees.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That's not a lack of respect at all. Ole's career prior to Utd would suggest he's out of his depth here, let alone his results in his tenure here. If he's saying something true, it's not a lack of respect.

devilish

Don't want to derail this thread but being benched by andy cole is no shame. He was a fantastic player and i will fight anyone who disagrees.
He was good in our system but he was hardly WC. Sir Alex spent all that period trying to bring someone better (batigol and Shearer). He actually did with Rvn

pacifictheme

He was good in our system but he was hardly WC. Sir Alex spent all that period trying to bring someone better (batigol and Shearer). He actually did with Rvn
Fastest player to 50 prem goals. He did try to replace him but by the time rvn came he was past his prime anyway.

devilish

Fastest player to 50 prem goals. He did try to replace him but by the time rvn came he was past his prime anyway.
Don’t take me wrong I am not saying that he was shit. However he wasn't world class and despite all that Ole was his reserve

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That's the lack of respect, right there. Unbelievable... but I guess that's the world we live in. I still think what he's trying to achieve is visible and it will come to fruition..
Sadly, some people take such a short term view, and fail to factor in that Solskjaer has taken over a crap squad that has been assembled by 4 previous managers over more than 6 years.
They seem to think its all just like playing a computer game, and that the moment you 'upgrade' the manager, everything is immediately rebooted and resolved.
For crying out loud, Solskjaer was still saddled with some of SAF's duds, such as Jones, Smalling and Young...FFS!!

Its such a fine balancing act for Solskjaer to clear 'deadwood', recruit correctly for the future, instil a better mentality, and still achieve results, performance and a top 4 finish, and all whilst the task is in progress.

I honestly think that to sack Solskjaer now would be nothing short of a disaster for this club, it will set us right back to the beginning, and a repeat of the previous 6 years that we have experienced.
There is absolutely zero guarantee that the next manager, or the next manager after him, will revive the clubs fortunes, personally I think we'd be in the wilderness for the next decade.

For the first time since SAF, we have a plan, its a good plan, it will take time, so let's have the balls to stick with it and avoid the knee jerk reactions and quick fixes that we have become accustomed to in recent years.

Handré1990

We really shouldn’t call out posters who says Ole’s out of his depth, that’s a fair opinion to have looking at it with some objectivity. Those calling him a fool, a fraud and worse, those should be told off, yes there’s been a lot that from supposed United fans on here.

Smores

Sadly, some people take such a short term view, and fail to factor in that Solskjaer has taken over a crap squad that has been assembled by 4 previous managers over more than 6 years.
They seem to think its all just like playing a computer game, and that the moment you 'upgrade' the manager, everything is immediately rebooted and resolved.
For crying out loud, Solskjaer was still saddled with some of SAF's duds, such as Jones, Smalling and Young...FFS!!

Its such a fine balancing act for Solskjaer to clear 'deadwood', recruit correctly for the future, instil a better mentality, and still achieve results, performance and a top 4 finish, and all whilst the task is in progress.

I honestly think that to sack Solskjaer now would be nothing short of a disaster for this club, it will set us right back to the beginning, and a repeat of the previous 6 years that we have experienced.
There is absolutely zero guarantee that the next manager, or the next manager after him, will revive the clubs fortunes, personally I think we'd be in the wilderness for the next decade.

For the first time since SAF, we have a plan, its a good plan, it will take time, so let's have the balls to stick with it and avoid the knee jerk reactions and quick fixes that we have become accustomed to in recent years.
What a terribly bad post, you can't argue your point so have to rely on discrediting any opponent view as video games. Yeah good one.

I'm sure your right the only man that can take us forward is the one who has us in terrible form. Sacking him would be a decade of turmoil. Very reasonable point.

Bestietom

I agree with you. Confidence is exactly what will drive us on. Then a couple of players in January hopefully. What I hate on this forum, is people trying to shove their opinion down your throat.

ReddBalls

What a terribly bad post, you can't argue your point so have to rely on discrediting any opponent view as video games. Yeah good one.

I'm sure your right the only man that can take us forward is the one who has us in terrible form. Sacking him would be a decade of turmoil. Very reasonable point.
What a terribly bad post. You can't argue your point of view, so have to rely on discreditig any opponents view as a terribly bad post and resort to sarcasm.

;)

His points actually explains your one point, the form.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How's it a lack of respect to call it like it is? Solskjaer does not have the past credentials to be the manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world. That's not a lack of respect it's a fact. Does the lack of past experience mean he cant be a success here? Of course not but the results post PSG back up the suggestion he's out of his depth;

L Arsenal (a) 2-0
L Wolves (a) 2-1
W Watford (h) 2-1
L Wolves (a) 2-1
L Barcelona (h) 0-1
W West Ham (h) 2-1
L Barcelona (a) 3-0
L Everton (a) 4-0
L Man City (h) 0-2
D Chelsea (h) 1-1
D Huddersfield (a) 1-1
L Cardiff (h) 0-2
----------------
W Chelsea (h) 4-0
D Wolves (a) 1-1
L Palace (h) 1-2
D Southampton (a) 1-1
W Leicester (h) 1-0
W Astana (h) 1-0
L West Ham (a) 2-0
W Rochdale (h) 1-1
D Arsenal (h) 1-1
D AZ Alkmaar (a) 0-0
L Newcastle (a) 1-0
D Liverpool (h) 1-1
W Partizan (a) 0-1
W Norwich (a) 1-3

That's a total of 26 games played, 8 won, 11 lost, 7 drawn. 24 goals scored, 33 conceded

This past weekend was only the 2nd time in that run we've been able to put together back to back wins, hopefully we can kick on from here...

ReddBalls

How's it a lack of respect to call it like it is? Solskjaer does not have the past credentials to be the manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world. That's not a lack of respect it's a fact. Does the lack of past experience mean he cant be a success here? Of course not but the results post PSG back up the suggestion he's out of his depth;

L Arsenal (a) 2-0
L Wolves (a) 2-1
W Watford (h) 2-1
L Wolves (a) 2-1
L Barcelona (h) 0-1
W West Ham (h) 2-1
L Barcelona (a) 3-0
L Everton (a) 4-0
L Man City (h) 0-2
D Chelsea (h) 1-1
D Huddersfield (a) 1-1
L Cardiff (h) 0-2
----------------
W Chelsea (h) 4-0
D Wolves (a) 1-1
L Palace (h) 1-2
D Southampton (a) 1-1
W Leicester (h) 1-0
W Astana (h) 1-0
L West Ham (a) 2-0
W Rochdale (h) 1-1
D Arsenal (h) 1-1
D AZ Alkmaar (a) 0-0
L Newcastle (a) 1-0
D Liverpool (h) 1-1
W Partizan (a) 0-1
W Norwich (a) 1-3

That's a total of 26 games played, 8 won, 11 lost, 7 drawn. 24 goals scored, 33 conceded

This past weekend was only the 2nd time in that run we've been able to put together back to back wins, hopefully we can kick on from here...
So thats 5 wins, 6 draws and 4 losses since the start of the season. Not exactly great, but not all terrible either given the circumstances and if United should kick on from here. Also, you forgot all the games he won at the start of his tenure. Why?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So thats 5 wins, 6 draws and 4 losses since the start of the season. Not exactly great, but not all terrible either given the circumstances and if United should kick on from here. Also, you forgot all the games he won at the start of his tenure. Why?
I didn't forget them I clearly stated I would highlight the results post the PSG game. The fact we went on such a good run before then is rather irrelevant now when discussing the current trajectory of the team

Kemizee

Rashford? Real Madrid apparently
Just paper talk. Real would never buy him. Imagine the ridiculous price we would ask for and assuming they match it, the pressure on his shoulders will be unbearable. As good as Hazard is, he is struggling to fit in there. Then think about Rashford.. No big club is gonna buy him. Local lad, Manc born is his best bet especially with his clueless play at times.

pacifictheme

Are those games still relevant? Very different team then to now. I'd say only this seasons games are relevant at this point. We've had a very easy start to the season and have a very mediocre start in terms of results.

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Getting a point against Liverpool at home. That's the stuff Dreams are made off
Unfortunately, our standards are so ridiculously low now, that if we get a draw, some people will hail this as the performance of the season. I mean, WTF!!!

It would also appear that beating one of the worst teams in the league (Norwich) is also be hailed as a fantastic performance. Beating one of the worst teams in the league, by 2 goals, should be the very least we should expect.

I am 45 year of age and I have seen MUFC beat relegation battlers by over 6 goals.
Even LCFC beat Southampton by 9 goals a few days ago.

We are currently in 7th place. This was the position which saw Moyes get fired (and rightfully so), but now, 7th is actually a good position to be in?

Ole also has low standards. I don't think that's in doubt.
Some people on here have low standards. You only have to read the comments made in the last few days.
But my expectations won't fall to that level.

johanovic

Unfortunately, our standards are so ridiculously low now, that if we get a draw, some people will hail this as the performance of the season. I mean, WTF!!!

It would also appear that beating one of the worst teams in the league (Norwich) is also be hailed as a fantastic performance. Beating one of the worst teams in the league, by 2 goals, should be the very least we should expect.

I am 45 year of age and I have seen MUFC beat relegation battlers by over 6 goals.
Even LCFC beat Southampton by 9 goals a few days ago.

We are currently in 7th place. This was the position which saw Moyes get fired (and rightfully so), but now, 7th is actually a good position to be in?

Ole also has low standards. I don't think that's in doubt.
Some people on here have low standards. You only have to read the comments made in the last few days.
But my expectations won't fall to that level.
We are of similar age so you must remember how things were before Fergie + Fergies first 4 years + and the years after Chelski got Abramovich in and after City got new owners. When you compare the squad we have at this moment in time to Liverpool and City we are miles behind. Why? Because we have spent around 900 million pounds on transfers since 2013 very badly to put it mildly. Last summer OGS signed 3 players I think most will agree with are sensible and proving to be smart buys. OGS got rid of 7 players already and we probably need to get rid of 6 to 8 more while in the same period continuing to buy well like we did this summer. Regarding your statements that OGS has low standards and some people on here have low standards sound´s amazing to me?
OGS is a born winner and was drilled by the best manager of all time. Do you think that resulted in OGS having low standards? He´s acctually not afraid showing that there no way players like Sanchez,Lukaku and others that do not meet his standards will be allowed to stay here. He´s brave enough to give youth a chance and the lack of respect shown to OGS is astounding. He´s shown as a player and manager that he´s not afraid to be ruthless.
As for other people on this forum having low standards how can you make such a claim? Is it not obvious that the only reason for most people spending time on this forum is out of support for Man Utd. Many of us understand that there have been many mistakes made in the last 6 years but we are turning around and there is no quick magic fix. Success in football comes in periods and now we must continue to rebuild.