Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
You can’t call it luck but...

Chelsea missed a lot of very good chances in the first half. They where a little bit unlucky with VAR. We had less then 40% possession. We had a passing accuracy of 78% against Chelsea’s 87%. 301 vs. 520 passes.

Some of the stats wasn’t in our favor but we still managed to win the game quite comfortably. That’s encouraging.

Our 3412 formation was as good as is get with all our injuries. AWB and Williams looked great on the flanks, it’s impressing to see a teenager hold his own away at Stamford Bridge in such a huge game.

Eric Bailly probably has a higher ceiling then Lindelöf. It’s his acceleration and decisiveness in tight situations who sets them apart. It’s a matter of choice. Wild and spectacular against calm and inactive. Time to give him a run of games to see where we ends up. Victor needs competition and our defensive line needs an upgrade in the middle.

Solskjær bought himself another chance with this win. He will stay until the summer but long term I’m still not sure. His coaching skills is up for debate. I don’t like his character in front of the cameras, this will probably not go well with his supporters but for me he’s b*llshitter and sometimes sleazy. He’s definitely not a natural leader, more of a modern ultraliberal politician type of guy that I can’t stand. Someone who takes nothing seriously and give smiles instead of accurate explanations. The contrast to a smart guy like Lampard is astonishing.

Top four or a EL win. That’s what he needs to do to convince me. Simple as that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
With this team it is take each game on it's own merit, because you sure as hell don't know what is coming next. They showed some fight last night, which I did like, they will need that against Watford with the likes of Deeney.
Exactly, the result was great. It needs to be appreciated while keeping in my mind the real issues

Judas

Open to offers
It's weird, but I'll be more impressed and happy if we beat Watford, just because its the exact sort of game we've messed up this season, especially right after a in theory tougher game.

Alabaster Codify7

It's weird, but I'll be more impressed and happy if we beat Watford, just because its the exact sort of game we've messed up this season, especially right after a in theory tougher game.

I think we will to be honest. Narrowly, maybe, but I expect 3pts now. We'll see.

Womp

idiot
One game ain't going to change my mind when we've been consistently underwhelming for a year now, especially when we had to heavily rely on VAR on several occasions. That being said, it's a good result in the top 4 (6?) race, he seems to have Chelsea's number.

Even though it was also an injury ridden Chelsea side, these are the results we can hopefully build on.

tonnas

we were VERY lucky to win but the OLEIN Bridage make it seem like we outplayed them and won 5-0 haha

Irwin99

Not sure about 'very' lucky but not getting the red card against Maguire and their centre back being concussed right before the goal was a bit jammy (the two disallowed goals were correctly chalked off though). Results matter now anyway, not the performances (which have been dire for the most part anyway). Top 5 should be very achievable with this team and if we can come through the next four games with some good results then it looks pretty good. All things considered, anything less than top 5 is unpardonable (unless we win the EL).

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Like the time we beat them in the cup and they celebrated like we won the actual cup.
we were VERY lucky to win but the OLEIN Bridage make it seem like we outplayed them and won 5-0 haha
Do you both realise that you are offended by United fans celebrating a good win? Why on earth would that be an issue for you, and on that note why aren't you both doing the same thing?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

We were not lucky to win simply because a coincidence that keeps recurring ceases, at some point, to be a coincidence. We didn't outperform Chelsea, as some want to believe, just like we didn't outperform Liverpool, City or Chelsea again earlier in the season. But this doesn't mean that we didn't win fair and square and that we didn't deserve our victories. And if by saying that we were very lucky, you mean the two VAR decisions, just imagine us having drawn or lost the game by conceding two goals out of which one was offside and the other has huge question marks around it (Azpi was shoved lightly but he sees the ball coming toward a free Williams at the near post, so you can't convince me 100% that his push was accidental). I would be furious.

We look at our best when our opponents want to take the initiative and move more bodies forward. That's also the reason why, statistically speaking, we look more threatening (expected goals per 90 minutes) when we already have a lead to protect. It suits our players better because it fits most of them into their natural roles. In a deep-lying and very compact defence, David can remain glued under his goal-posts, Maguire can operate as a covering/clearing aerial balls in the box centre-half and any other CB has a more limited area of responsibility (especially in the 352). Compactness also means that the lines are much closer to each other and this helps massively with Matic's lack of pace, McT's inexperience on the ball and Fred's recklessness when either of the three operates as the deepest lying midfielder or tries to play a pass through the lines. Finally, it creates more opportunities for our attacking players to exploit spaces while running with or without the ball when we know that they are not very good at creating pockets of space with their movement in the final third.

When we have to take risks, when we need to take the initiative and make things happen ourselves, that's when the problems start. The CBs have to cover more ground, the FBs can't simply rest on their (do a great job defensively) laurels, the midfielders can't see the direct pass but have to orchestrate attacking plays and the forwards can't simply close their eyes and run in a straight line or shoot without thinking but they must unbalance defences with their movement instead. Why this seems to be our only natural game, it's being discussed on this forum since forever. Are we still a work in progress or is this the best Solskjaer has to offer? How much difference would 2-3 new signings make in the grand scheme of things which is United playing on the front foot again, pinning down opponents and taking what the want (the three points more often than once in every 2.6 games). Is it the players or the manager?

As things stand, i would like for Solskjaer to finish the season with his head held high, so that we can part ways without much drama and move on to better things, if we can. You can say we are on the same side of the managerial debate. But he has shown the ability to handle these types of games rather well by giving us a fair chance to win them. That's one of his pluses as a manager, there's no need to laugh at the fact. Let's see if Bruno can sweeten our game in the midfield just a bit by the end of the season. Where i guess we agree is that these performances, which are the product of us defending well off the ball and hitting on the counter, don't tell much about our overall progress as a team in the sense that in 70% of our games we'll have to be the ones on the ball trying to make things happen. This is where we must show improvement and these are the games that prevent us from capitalizing on the big victories and go on long winning streaks.

Nevertheless, it was a great win the other day and a great feeling to win twice in a season at SB for the first time since 1988. An important one too because it kept our top-four hopes alive and created doubts around Lampard and Chelsea.

Marcelinho87

Our problem with Ole was never not beating the top teams. It's consistency. We can go from beating city away to losing to some cannon fodder team at OT. Lets try and get 3 or 4 wins on the bounce before even thinking about getting into the top 4
I don't think that it's consistency as I believe we would give the "top" teams a game every single time. Our problem is our inability to break down teams who sit behind the ball.

The top teams are more open as they give it a go so it leaves space in behind for us to counter.

Dr. StrangeHate

Ole said,

"Aaron has been working on his crossing, Anthony has been told X amount of times to get into the box - we had almost like an ongoing joke with Harry and his headers, it was about time.

He knew what has to change and he signed few good players already. so another year ? may not be the end of the world.
He asked the FB to work on crossing and asked our CF and CB to get in the box for headers. Revolutionary stuff.

Alabaster Codify7

He asked the FB to work on crossing and asked our CF and CB to get in the box for headers. Revolutionary stuff.

Yeah, and it's taken him and them until the end of February (7months into the season) to begin trying to do so. It's pretty laughable, to be honest. He's spouting the most basic managerial principles as though these are bragging points and he's been in the job for 14months.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ole has the effect on me that whenever we have these magic games like the Chelsea game that we tend to have under him occasionally I always want to see him succeed. I just don't think he's good enough. Chelsea played the fast fluid attack fans and Ole have been trying to attain and we've only been able to do that on very few games under him.. Usually against terrible defenses. I wish him to succeed but he has not earned my trust he will and I don't think he will earn it.

The Chelsea game is literally the story of our season so far. The moment his job seems under pressure we win. After that we fail to build momentum and lose or draw a smaller side. It's just so much inconsistency this season in our results and then I look at how other teams play better than us even with lesser quality players

Kag

Semi-regular reminder that Ole went into this season having been released of Herrera, Sanchez, Lukaku and Pogba - who may as well have been sold given his inactivity this season. Criticise him for being part of allowing that (in most cases, necessary) process to happen; or criticise the club for being unable to bring in suitable replacements. But we’ve played the full season with Lingard and Pereira at #10: two players that wouldn’t particularly stand out in the Championship. In addition to that, Rashford (who is one of the best players at the club) has suffered a season-ending injury.

Have results been good enough? No. But we still sit roughly par for the course given the options available to us for most of the season.

Alabaster Codify7

Ole has the effect on me that whenever we have these magic games like the Chelsea game that we tend to have under him occasionally I always want to see him succeed. I just don't think he's good enough. Chelsea played the fast fluid attack fans and Ole have been trying to attain and we've only been able to do that on very few games under him.. Usually against terrible defenses. I wish him to succeed but he has not earned my trust he will and I don't think he will earn it.

The Chelsea game is literally the story of our season so far. The moment his job seems under pressure we win. After that we fail to build momentum and lose or draw a smaller side. It's just so much inconsistency this season in our results and then I look at how other teams play better than us even with lesser quality players
Some might refer to him (and the team) with a three-word description, using the initials GRC.

I prefer to think of it as mid-lower table manager with an expensively assembled midtable squad. Midtable teams tend to go W-L-D-D-W-L-L or similar, they are inconsistent because they are not very good and will drop as many points as they gain. Midtable teams tend to finish around 7-12th in the league with around 50-odd points which is what we are on course for, barring a huge upswing in form.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Some might refer to him (and the team) with a three-word description, using the initials GRC.

I prefer to think of it as mid-lower table manager with an expensively assembled midtable squad. Midtable teams tend to go W-L-D-D-W-L-L or similar, they are inconsistent because they are not very good and will drop as many points as they gain. Midtable teams tend to finish around 7-12th in the league with around 50-odd points which is what we are on course for, barring a huge upswing in form.
Yeah... We're basically a midtable side that is a problem for big teams similar to how Wolves were last season

Gasolin

Yeah, and it's taken him and them until the end of February (7months into the season) to begin trying to do so. It's pretty laughable, to be honest. He's spouting the most basic managerial principles as though these are bragging points and he's been in the job for 14months.
First of all, the change came when the midfield was not able to create properly like a "normal" team and he turned into the full backs to push up to ask them to create. To say this is the most basic stuff is not true, Liverpool does that and not everyone does it the same way, normally, in a very good team, the midfield is able to create. Liverpool is not able to create through the middle, hence that tactics for them. We lost our only creative player with injuries, and then we had nothing... so we had to adapt. That's the result of that.

Ole is a striker, can you really believe and say Rashford or even Martial are not progressing under him?!?

Come on. And I don't even need to say much, those tactical analysis are available to anyone who tries to understand what's going on with our team.

What we are doing is very interesting on the field, despite missing key players.

We have moved from 4/3/3 into a 4/2/1/3 and now a 3/4/3 that goes 5/3/2 or 2/5/3 depending of the defensive phase or offensive phase. What it means is that we are ready now to commit 8 players for the attack, and we finally have a creative player again in the midfield. One more creative player back and we are going to be really different, when we get Rashford back and another threat upfront beyond Martial, this team will be very special. At that point, Ole will debate whether he keeps 2 wing backs or we go back to a back 4 and try to attack with one more midfielder and forward, etc... To dismiss that as "nothing" is really not normal for me. Why? Really, why? Is it that hard to see it on the field?!?

Btw, that's like plan A, B and C so let's stop with that BS that Ole doesn't know how to play differently. This is extreme versatility if anything, with clear differences in order to focus on our strength depending of the games, and more importantly, the f****** players at our disposal, our biggest problem this season.

When injuries are going to hit the other teams, including Liverpool, see how they will struggle. Especially players of the magnitude of Rashford, Pogba or Scott for those teams.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

We are not going to get Rashford back this season. A team is also as good as the coach. He should be able to get ordinary players to play better.
Even against Chelsea, we are always opting the safe route. The space was there for the forward pass. We don't seem to pass the ball unless we have no choice. Everyone puts their head down and try to sprint and try to take two or three players and lose possession.
The two goals were well taken and I am happy the way Maguire scored the second goal. Bailly should be given a lot of credit for his movements.
Bailly is an enigma. He had the worst and the best moment of the game.
Maybe it's time his teammates accept that he is going to go to sleep during the match and help him by calling it out. One positive thing about Bailly is that he is very quick. If he continues like this he may become a good CB.
If so I would like to see Lindelof play instead of Matic to see if he is better than Matic in that position.

Gasolin

We are not going to get Rashford back this season. A team is also as good as the coach. He should be able to get ordinary players to play better.
Even against Chelsea, we are always opting the safe route. The space was there for the forward pass. We don't seem to pass the ball unless we have no choice. Everyone puts their head down and try to sprint and try to take two or three players and lose possession.
The two goals were well taken and I am happy the way Maguire scored the second goal. Bailly should be given a lot of credit for his movements.
Bailly is an enigma. He had the worst and the best moment of the game.
Maybe it's time his teammates accept that he is going to go to sleep during the match and help him by calling it out. One positive thing about Bailly is that he is very quick. If he continues like this he may become a good CB.
If so I would like to see Lindelof play instead of Matic to see if he is better than Matic in that position.
Maybe not for Rashford, but the result is the same, the tactics were good. We accepted the risk of leaving the wide areas open for the rewards of trying to do things in offensive phases. Our plan was clear: attack the left side, when R. James goes up, Martial goes into that space, and depending on how Dan James positions himself, Fernandes goes straight or on the right to attack the space. Fernandes is a better 10 than Pereira or Lingard, this is why this is now working way better.

Plus have you guys seen how now Bailly and Maguire openly tried to leave the far posts areas open for corners to attack them? It's not a coincidence we got a goal there during the game. There are a lot of work happening and just because we don't seem to think it's good doesn't mean Chelsea found it easy to play us. Everything in their game stat is misleading because out of 16 shots, the defense blocked 10 shots, including 6 in the box. They exploited the wide areas, as we did, but they couldn't shoot properly.

And get the ordinary players to play better is non-sense. Ask Pep or Klopp to improve Bebe or whoever, you know those things are a stretch. We have several ways of playing and we will benefit from Bruno's intelligence in the football + his technique as he times better the runs to attack the spaces. If Scott and Pogba can come back, it will give us options. Options are all we need, as Ole is a very adaptable manager when it comes to his football. He will play to our strength. Actually, no, Ole did try to address this "ordinary" players issue. The sole reason he introduced the full backs going up (or using wing backs, depending of the games) was to stop asking the midfield to create, and just like Liverpool, asking them to be functional and stop the danger, and recycle the ball. But now we have a creative player back. There are very interesting things that can happen with such a player for us.

When we don't have options as we sometimes are forced to select some players, this is when we are limited. But even then, we do with what we have.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

Solskjær bought himself another chance with this win. He will stay until the summer but long term I’m still not sure. His coaching skills is up for debate. I don’t like his character in front of the cameras, this will probably not go well with his supporters but for me he’s b*llshitter and sometimes sleazy. He’s definitely not a natural leader, more of a modern ultraliberal politician type of guy that I can’t stand. Someone who takes nothing seriously and give smiles instead of accurate explanations. The contrast to a smart guy like Lampard is astonishing
In what way? Also, what makes Lampard smart guy?

It seams to me that problem for you are not skills, at least not so much. It is just personal?

Gasolin

It seams to me that problem for you are not skills, at least not so much. It is just personal?
He thinks we should just cry in front of cameras every time things don't go well. Transparency is BS in football, club needs serenity, and the only thing that brings serenity are wins and titles. Full stop. For the rest, yeah he should be smiling and saying nothing to fuel the fire because we don't want any scandal around the club.

That's not even what matters for us right now.

And Lampard smart? No idea where this comes from. This is a guy who lost 3 times and every time, didn't adapt. Pep adapted, Klopp adapted. Granted, Pep lost the third game but qualified and we will see how it goes in the 4th game, but still... Lampard, more importantly, didn't adapt enough. He left a huge gap between his defense, who was afraid to go up and commit, and his midfield, that was required to press. As a result? We exploited that gap.

Foxbatt

Now there is a proper coach right now at Leipzig. He is 100 times better than Ole. We should go and get him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Now there is a proper coach right now at Leipzig. He is 100 times better than Ole. We should go and get him.
This is what I don't understand with Ole supporters. There are coaches out there with enough evidence that they are better than Ole and they can play the attacking football and use youth too. Our transfer policy has also changed for the better so why persist with a lesser quality coach when we could get Nagelsmann or Pochettino... People wonder how good we would perform with DDG Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Williams Fred Mctominay Bruno Sancho Martial and Rashford under Ole.... I watch Leipzig and I'm daydreaming of how that team will perform under nagelsmann

ReddBalls

Our transfer policy has also changed for the better
And that has obviously nothing to do with the manager, does it?
“I’ll always have the final say on transfers,” the manager said. “No one comes in the door without me saying yes. It has to be that way, even though signing players is a process involving other members of staff. I don’t really speak to agents, because I have nothing to do with the money side of it, but the final decision on who becomes a Manchester United player will be mine.”
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...skjaer-manchester-united-transfers-paul-pogba

Gasolin

Well for those we are in ecstasy with Nagelsmann, let's see if at least we can make a result against Spurs and Jose later this season? Or that 3/4/3 he used is different than the one Ole introduced?

Acquire Me

First of all, the change came when the midfield was not able to create properly like a "normal" team and he turned into the full backs to push up to ask them to create. To say this is the most basic stuff is not true, Liverpool does that and not everyone does it the same way, normally, in a very good team, the midfield is able to create. Liverpool is not able to create through the middle, hence that tactics for them. We lost our only creative player with injuries, and then we had nothing... so we had to adapt. That's the result of that.

Ole is a striker, can you really believe and say Rashford or even Martial are not progressing under him?!?

Come on. And I don't even need to say much, those tactical analysis are available to anyone who tries to understand what's going on with our team.

What we are doing is very interesting on the field, despite missing key players.

We have moved from 4/3/3 into a 4/2/1/3 and now a 3/4/3 that goes 5/3/2 or 2/5/3 depending of the defensive phase or offensive phase. What it means is that we are ready now to commit 8 players for the attack, and we finally have a creative player again in the midfield. One more creative player back and we are going to be really different, when we get Rashford back and another threat upfront beyond Martial, this team will be very special. At that point, Ole will debate whether he keeps 2 wing backs or we go back to a back 4 and try to attack with one more midfielder and forward, etc... To dismiss that as "nothing" is really not normal for me. Why? Really, why? Is it that hard to see it on the field?!?

Btw, that's like plan A, B and C so let's stop with that BS that Ole doesn't know how to play differently. This is extreme versatility if anything, with clear differences in order to focus on our strength depending of the games, and more importantly, the f****** players at our disposal, our biggest problem this season.

When injuries are going to hit the other teams, including Liverpool, see how they will struggle. Especially players of the magnitude of Rashford, Pogba or Scott for those teams.
Good post. So much hate on Ole and the club these days.

I think that Ole demonstrates that he has a great strategic mind. Tactically he has demonstrated that against the stronger teams. The weak ones seems to be the biggest issue now. Give him and the team more time. Injuries will not last forever and we will add to the team.

I am not completely convinced about Ole, but I am excited about our project. Time will tell if Ole makes it.

7even

He thinks we should just cry in front of cameras every time things don't go well. Transparency is BS in football, club needs serenity, and the only thing that brings serenity are wins and titles. Full stop. For the rest, yeah he should be smiling and saying nothing to fuel the fire because we don't want any scandal around the club.

That's not even what matters for us right now.

And Lampard smart? No idea where this comes from. This is a guy who lost 3 times and every time, didn't adapt. Pep adapted, Klopp adapted. Granted, Pep lost the third game but qualified and we will see how it goes in the 4th game, but still... Lampard, more importantly, didn't adapt enough. He left a huge gap between his defense, who was afraid to go up and commit, and his midfield, that was required to press. As a result? We exploited that gap.
Frank Lampard is intelligent, that‘s clear as daylight from my perspective.

Well articulated, direct in his responses to “tricky” questions, thoughtful when necessary and overall balanced in his approach. His body language and expressions goes hand in hand with his message. In short. His presence when being interviewed install confidence and trust, a win or a loss makes no difference.

I get the opposite feeling when I listen and watch Solskjaer.

For me he‘s double faced. Way to often his answers don’t install trust and confidence. On this forum we often spends hours or days to discuss the “why” and “what” and that’s a sign of a bad communicator. Using political answers and half lies is all good when your overall direction is clear, but that’s not the case when Ole opens his mouth. In the last couple of months we had several miscommunications. Rashford. Pogba. Haaland. Klopp. Trying to make bad look good with supporters just left flabbergasted. Just to name a few.

His supporters will off course never see or accept this but that’s part of the Ole in and Ole out debate but from my perspective I prefer the the Lampard‘s instead of the the Ole’s. And I assume you have the opposite view. Right?

Gasolin

Well articulated, direct in his responses to “tricky” questions, thoughtful when necessary and overall balanced in his approach. His body language and expressions goes hand in hand with his message. In short. His presence when being interviewed install confidence and trust, a win or a loss makes no difference.

For me he‘s double faced. Way to often his answers don’t install trust and confidence. On this forum we often spends hours or days to discuss the “why” and “what” and that’s a sign of a bad communicator. Using political answers and half lies is all good when your overall direction is clear, but that’s not the case when Ole opens his mouth. In the last couple of months we had several miscommunications. Rashford. Pogba. Haaland. Klopp. Trying to make bad look good with supporters just left flabbergasted. Just to name a few.

His supporters will off course never see or accept this but that’s part of the Ole in and Ole out debate but from my perspective I prefer the the Lampard‘s instead of the the Ole’s. And I assume you have the opposite view. Right?
I don't mind either, I think only the results on the pitch solve those issues about confidence.

For the political side of things, I think it's important to not offer any scandal outside. We have enough problem already. Maybe at Chelsea it's okay, who knows. I don't know if Lampard instill more confidence, I like the lad despite him being a Chelsea legend and scoring against us in the UCL final, but beyond that, I don't really care about him so...

--

All I am saying is that other managers when facing Ole and losing adapted, Frank did not. Maybe he should try to say why. It's not about attacking threat, clearly he tried something, as shown by the hesitation his defense had to go up, in order to not be taken by the speed of our forwards. But by leaving that gap... a gap our players, including Fred, exploited, e.g. first goal. Was that so hard for him to see?

To be fair, maybe Kante and, afterwards Mount, were tasked to protect that space but Mount did a bad job, who knows. Maybe Lampard did see the issue but his players could not execute. Oh I am sorry, this is only a problem for Ole, because players execute very well when instructed, right? If he saw the issue but could not get that executed, that's because Lampard / Ole suck as a manager. I see. Again, who knows.

90 + 5min

I was just curious. I can understand how you see things but I don’t agree. While Lampard often is more ”serious” I think that Solskjaer and his behaving are not that bad. He has also been under lot more pressure. Sure, sometimes he isn’t that clear in media but I don’t see that as a problem. Why should he open up like a book?
Lampard intelligent? In what why? Talking or coaching. Because you can be intelligent , behave well (as you said) but awful coach. Not saying that he is. Maybe he is intelligent. But that doesn’t affect that Solskjaer or other managers can’t be that. I think, and I say think, that you are going for the looks. I might be wrong but I just think that. And looks should not be important.

7even

Judging a manager is in the end about results. Intelligence or not doesn’t matter.

Ole‘s teams gets results against the top teams but lose to many point against the bottom. Why is that in your opinion? Why is our team better organized, has better intensity, are more clinical and plays with more passions against Chelsea then relegation teams?

Against City and Liverpool (home) we played with one or two touches, our passes was distinct and with accuracy and our movements was good. A week later almost everything is gone and we look like a pub team.

I‘m curious. Is everything about inconsistent players or do you thing coaching, or should I say bad or lack of coaching is one important part in our bad results?

Kostov

With this team it is take each game on it's own merit, because you sure as hell don't know what is coming next. They showed some fight last night, which I did like, they will need that against Watford with the likes of Deeney.
0:1 win for Watford incoming then. A 12th minute header by Deeney after which we fail to score a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.