Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengt

We would look completely amateurish if we sacked Solskjaer now, and any self respecting manager wouldn't touch us if we did. We made the decision to appoint Solskjaer, now we have to back him and hope his vision for the club is enough to get us out of this mess.
Real Madrid had 3 managers last season. Monaco sacked & rehired Jardim twice in a season.
Who cares? Throw money at them and they'll kiss your arse mate.

redIndianDevil

Obviously not saying hes as good as Klopp but disagree with that.. he broke up the monopoly from a rich, dominant team in that league while playing attractive attacking football. Maybe Sparky could've, i wasnt disrespecting him when bringing up his name, just saying that Ole has been in a title race before, he's not some studio analyst who's never lasted a couple of months.
I don't know all the famous Norwegian footballers but OGS should be among the top, he has also got connections all over England and Europe due to his playing days, he could easily attract players who would have been beyond the reach of Molde. Hughes or Moyes will do the same if they ever manage in Norway, they could easily make better signings than the players in Norway.

If OGS had any coaching ability , he would have gotten a job at any top European club, the fact that he chose the comfort of a lower league shows that he hasn't got what it takes.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So they gave him a £120k contract with four year deal plus one, which will make him harder to shift so that they could sell him? Seriously what are you smoking?
I literally just said there won't be many takers, use your brain and read.
Our higher ups are incompetent, it wouldn't shock me one bit if they thought they could make money out of Jones.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Exactly.

Makes no sense to me then. Young and Jones will CLEARLY be here season. We could have easily let those 2 go on a free. Ole/Woodward/whoever value them and wanted them to stay.

If they're not here next season, I'll gladly eat crow.
Of course they will. Young will probably still be our captain.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I don't know all the famous Norwegian footballers but OGS should be among the top, he has also got connections all over England and Europe due to his playing days, he could easily attract players who would have been beyond the reach of Molde. Hughes or Moyes will do the same if they ever manage in Norway, they could easily make better signings than the players in Norway.

If OGS had any coaching ability , he would have gotten a job at any top European club, the fact that he chose the comfort of a lower league shows that he hasn't got what it takes.
And he is now earning 7m pounds a year.. :houllier:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
A couple of good additions would not have us challenging, even if we had Guardiola at the helm.
We have pretty average players, truth be told.
Look at the Liverpool XI that destroyed Barcelona. Most people here would have laughed at thought of us buying the likes of Matip, Milner, Henderson, Origi, Shaqiri, Robertson, Wjinaldum etc.

paulscholes18

Can’t beat already relegated Cardiff and Huddersfield, keeps playing the diamond formation even though our full backs are poor at attacking and an hard working player at no10, couldn’t have any complaints if he went

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Im afraid Arabs might be our only hope now. Buy us and sack everybody form Ed to Carrick.
No thanks to being a state-owned PR trophy.

In hindsight he should never have been given the job. But the most pressing matter at the moment is getting a competent top class DoF in so if Ole has a mare next season, we're still doing a cohesive long-term project.

I think there is no other choice than to back Ole now and hope for the best. Meanwhile the club needs to put all its efforts into sorting out our structural issues once and for all.

For Ole to survive, he not only needs to show that he's tactically competent and his man-management isn't a 3 month flash in the pan, but he needs to actively get rid of loads of players.

There probably won't be a poll for a few days yet, tempers need to settle a bit.

Irrational.

I think there was a decent enough handful, but pretty much everyone conceded that Ed was in a position where he had to give it to him otherwise the fans would never forgive him. It turns out that was wrong too as if he’d have just waited, Ole would’ve gotten his thanks and goodbye this afternoon no questions asked.
Exactly. It would've provided closure to what has been a rotten season; as although it's been nice having Ole around, it's become clear that he's not up to the task of being United manager. Now, Ed will have to back him for a bit so as not to appear incompetent before we let him go again in November and we're back to square one.

Unfortunately, Ed was always in a lose-lose situation with this one.

Bojan11

I literally just said there won't be many takers, use your brain and read.
Our higher ups are incompetent, it wouldn't shock me one bit if they thought they could make money out of Jones.
Or Ole gave him a new contract. So why didn’t we do your brilliant idea with Herrera or Mata? Both are worth more than Jones who can’t stay fit and Young.

United interim manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said the new deal for the England centre-back is a sign the club are planning ahead.

"I have a vision of what this club will look like in two years," he said.

United have won nine games out of 10 since Solskjaer took over as caretaker manager on 19 December, following the dismissal of Jose Mourinho.

The Norwegian has been told he will be in charge for the rest of this campaign and no decision has yet been taken about whether he will get the job on a permanent basis.

Jones, whose contract was due to expire in the summer, has signed his deal a week after Belgium midfielder Marouane Fellaini left United to take up a lucrative contract in China.

"Phil has won the Premier League, FA Cup and Europa League and is now one of the senior players," said Solskjaer.

"He is coming up to his 27th birthday and entering into his prime years as a centre-half."

Bwuk

Ole isn’t the answer.

I’m very worried about this transfer window.

Mcking

Well you don't know, the same form could have continued and top 4 would have been achieved, it all dropped off, for whatever reason when he was confirmed.
When he took over as caretaker we were 10 points behind 4th, so at that stage achieving top 4 arguably would have been enough to get the job if the decision was to be made at the end of the season.
We were feasting on unconvincing wins and lost two consecutive games before he got the permanent job. Giving him the permanent job has nothing to do with our form. The signs were there.

Dec9003

Look at the Liverpool XI that destroyed Barcelona. Most people here would have laughed at thought of us buying the likes of Matip, Milner, Henderson, Origi, Shaqiri, Robertson, Wjinaldum etc.
Most people are idiots (myself included) not sure why that has any bearing on our rag tag bunch challenging for trophies.

redIndianDevil

It is both no doubt. I guess some people think the players can improve under a better manager. Other that the manager can improve with better players. I say both is possible.

Ideally we would bring in a better manager that could help us attract better players. Also get better owners and a better CEO than Woodward so we can spend much better in the market.

Without changing the owners or the owners start wanting to win things as first priority then I think it will be hard for us to really get out of the decline we are in.
Not really. Players won't respect a manager who doesn't know his stuff. Clubs like Real Madrid can coast along fine with new managers as they have a pretty good squad but we are in desperate need of overhaul. We don't have good senior players to carry the mantle. We need a really good authoritative coach.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I don't know why so many on here are high on Phelan.

He should be nowhere near the club IMO.
He was the one many were blaming for the shit football during Fergie’s last few seasons.

Probably the worst assistant manager that Fergie had, so I don’t get the high praise now.

Patrick08

but Ole does look lost, and it pains me to say so, but we are where we are and I'm sure he will, regardless of what the the post-match consensus may opine, get his chance to prove his worth.
There is phelan with him, so I won't judge him so harshly at this moment, he made few mistakes past Barcelona game for sure which costed us top 4 in the end but it was it was pretty clear to me that Herrera missing played a massive impact on this team in the end and I think the players were mentally shaken up with him leaving, probably disappointed towards the board as well and they just didn't had the same attitude towards the end and looked dejected and in like form. I don't think we can blame ole too much for this. But yeah as far as lineups is concerned or the balance he did make some mistakes post Barcelona game and didn't take it seriously while believing too much in these players who don't repay back the managers trust.

Dec9003

Or Ole gave him a new contract. So why didn’t we do your brilliant idea with Herrera or Mata? Both are worth more than Jones who can’t stay fit and Young.
My brilliant idea? You're making yourself look stupid mate.
No player can stay young, not sure what you meant by that either.

ForestRGoinUp

Exactly. It would've provided closure to what has been a rotten season; as although it's been nice having Ole around, it's become clear that he's not up to the task of being United manager. Now, Ed will have to back him for a bit so as not to appear incompetent before we let him go again in November and we're back to square one.

Unfortunately, Ed was always in a lose-lose situation with this one.
The sad thing is Ed had finally landed himself in an ideal situation with a coherent plan: Ole as interim and using the second half of the season to conduct a thorough search. It’s the fact he totally scrapped that plan which is more damning on him than any managerial choice so far. In my opinion.

Just leave it til now like you said you would, Ed, and I’m sure you’d be getting a bit more sleep at night.

Bojan11

My brilliant idea? You're making yourself look stupid mate.
No player can stay young, not sure what you meant by that either.
I’m talking about Young as in our captain because according to you our idea was to offer them high wages which they won’t get anywhere else so we can sell them. So why didn’t we do that with Herrera or Mata who are worth more in the transfer market? Can you enlighten me on that Einstein. Or maybe Phelan and Ole wanted to keep them at the club because they think they have something to offer. Phelan has coached both of them before and they good pals with Carrick. Just read Oles comments as he thinks Jones is in the prime of his career. You don’t give a player you want to get rid of a four year contract on high wages, so whose going to buy him with those wages? That’s why I’m asking what you smoking. Jones, Young and Smalling will all be here. Thankfully Ole saw sense with Valencia but he didn’t want to lose his Brexit core.

Graham R

Jose was despised by many from the get-go; Ole had nothing but accolades from the outset by the majority on here, so I wouldn't play the victim card, and feel he's too hard-done-by, but it seems more than reasonable to understand that there is a measure of fatigue at play here when there seems to be very little but mediocrity on display from the team after three, consecutive mangers, have attempted, and by the standards of the club, failed to ply their trade.

I feel the real culprit, in the guise of our ever more evasive CEO, has been massively overlooked, but obfuscation and spin seem to mitigate much when people look to apportion blame.

It would be nice to see something tangible in respect of tactics or strategy, even at this embryonic stage, and it's not beyond the wit of any half decent manager to do this, but Ole does look lost, and it pains me to say so, but we are where we are and I'm sure he will, regardless of what the the post-match consensus may opine, get his chance to prove his worth.
I am old enough to remember when we appointed a retired ex player and reserve team coach called Wilf McGuiness following Sir Matts retirement.Like Ole everybody willed him to succeed,but the players didn’t respect him(including Bobby Charlton)and he was sacked within a short time.I hope Ole succeeds but he has the look of a man drowning under the pressure.Fans need to point the finger at Woodward.His judgement in all things football has been a disaster.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Most people are idiots (myself included) not sure why that has any bearing on our rag tag bunch challenging for trophies.
I don't know... like I said earlier, these players have won a tonne between them and looking at the team a little to the west of us, it's clear that you don't need world class players (in every position) to be a world class team. We should know this given what Sir Alex Ferguson achieved with a number of good players.

A quick count and between our players, they've won 90 major titles including league titles, European cups, domestic leagues, and International titles (not including the charity shield).

starman

We were feasting on unconvincing wins and lost two consecutive games before he got the permanent job. Giving him the permanent job has nothing to do with our form. The signs were there.
The signs were there as the sqaud he is working with are is full of dross & weak minded mercenaries that he never signed, whys that so hard for people to understand.

Yeah losing to PSG (who everyone thought we were going out to when first drawn against under Jose) and Arsenal away having previously beat them weeks before, yeah big signs :rolleyes:

Skills

Snitch
I'm not really interested in what Real Madrid would do, they're not exactly the model for what a well run club looks like either.

We might well have a poor season next year but I don't think that necessarily changes even if we were to bring someone else in instead. Ripping up any plans we might have for next season doesn't do us any favours at this point.
Erm they've just won more European Cups in the last 4 years than we have in 60 years.

Dec9003

I’m talking about Young as in our captain because according to you our idea was to offer them high wages which they won’t get anywhere else so we can sell them. So why didn’t we do that with Herrera or Mata who are worth more in the transfer market? Can you enlighten me on that Einstein. Or maybe Phelan and Ole wanted to keep them at the club because they think they have something to offer. Phelan has coached both of them before and they good pals with Carrick. Just read Oles comments as he thinks Jones is in the prime of his career. You don’t give a player you want to get rid of a four year contract on high wages, so whose going to buy him with those wages? That’s why I’m asking what you smoking. Jones, Young and Smalling will all be here. Thankfully Ole saw sense with Valencia but he didn’t want to lose his Brexit core.
Again you've made yourself look stupid.
I said they'd given Jones a new deal so they could sell him, I didn't say that this would be successful or was a good idea.
Herrera and Mata have been offered extensions and don't want to sign, nothing the board or Ole can do about that.
The fact that you said Brexit core makes you look unintelligent, it really does.

johanovic

Mourinho signed Fred,Lukaku,Matic,Sanchez,Pogba,Mkhitaryan,Bailly and they did cost a lot but one could argue they have not impressed. He also signed players I would say did well in Ibrahimovic and Lindelof plus promising in Dalot. But you could hardly argue he did spend the transfer money wisely.
Van Gaal signed Schneiderlin,Deapay,Darmian,Schweinsteiger,Di Maria,Rojo,Falcao that were very poor signings. He signed Shaw,Herrera,Martial and they have done ok.
Moyes signed Fellaini and Mata and I would consider both a waste of money frankly.

So OGS took over from that, has not had a preseason or transfer window and some people are wanting him out already? It beggers belief but who in hell would have been able to get results with that lot? The plain truth is there for all to see, we have spent the transfer money so badly that it´s just depressing to look at. It´s not the lack of transfer fund´s it´s the way we have spent it.

It´s so bad that when you look at the Leicester squad and see that on current form Schmeichel-Pereira-Maguire-Evans-Chilwell-Ndidi-Tielemans-Maddison-Vardy would probably be in the United XI if they were on our books and then you realise the size of the problem the club and OGS has in front of them.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'm not really interested in what Real Madrid would do, they're not exactly the model for what a well run club looks like either.

We might well have a poor season next year but I don't think that necessarily changes even if we were to bring someone else in instead. Ripping up any plans we might have for next season doesn't do us any favours at this point.
They absolutely are.

BlueHaze

After reading those quotes I think it's fair to say we're doomed.

koop

Poch aint coming here.

I don't think sacking Ole is the right answer either.
I would give him another season. But like its been said a thousand times, the problem isn't with the manager.

Bojan11

Again you've made yourself look stupid.
I said they'd given Jones a new deal so they could sell him, I didn't say that this would be successful or was a good idea.
Herrera and Mata have been offered extensions and don't want to sign, nothing the board or Ole can do about that.
The fact that you said Brexit core makes you look unintelligent, it really does.
Sell him? Who gives a player four year contract with the option of one added on to sell him? Who gives Ashley Young a one year contract to sell? Did you read those Ole quotes. You just making stuff up as you go along. Who is going to pay Phil Jones who can barely stay fit in a season £120k a week for the next four years? Ole was the one who told the club to give him a new contract and the same goes for Young. They both play whenever they are fit.

So you think both of these will be gone? No chance. Rojo and Bailly will be gone and so will Darmian. Valencia has already left. That’s our defence clearout. We not getting rid of six defenders in the summer.

Celoti23-81

Why yes. But the difference is, they have Klopp, a manager who has a track record of coaching players to become better. That's my beef with this squad, I'm pretty sure Klopp would have these playing much better than they are under Solskjaer at present. Most of these players will be here next season, and if they are the type that will throw the manager under the bus, then Solskjaer is the exact person they will do it to. Which says to me, we will be in the same predicament next season!
All good getting players of Utd character, but they have to also be quality too. The ronaldo's of this world had SAF, Keane and Scholes etc to look up to. Who will these new rough diamonds look to at utd, it won't be solskjaer I guess, it will be Pogba probably.

Let's not forget, we don't have a real leader in our team, Liverpool have Klopp, and 2 very good captains in milner and Henderson. Add VVD to that in the last year!

Last edited:

Mcking

The signs were there as the sqaud he is working with are is full of dross & weak minded mercenaries that he never signed, whys that so hard for people to understand.

Yeah losing to PSG (who everyone thought we were going out to when first drawn against under Jose) and Arsenal away having previously beat them weeks before, yeah big signs :rolleyes:
That's a strawman, and you've changed the goalposts. We lost to Wolves and Arsenal too, not PSG.

Woziak

Quick Question Where is DiMateo now after wining CL with Chelsea in 2012?
Is Ole one of the top 5 managers in the PL?
What was Mike Phelan's record at Hull?
What was Ole Record at Cardiff?

Is Ole one of the top 10 Managers in the PL?
Is Ole one of the top 10 Managers in World Football?

Does the Management team have a pattern of play?
Can you play a Diamond formation with Wing backs that can't run and can't beat the first man with a cross?

Has Man United scored more than 80 PL goals in any of the last 6 seasons?

Most of us know the answer and as much as we all love Ole as a club legend, Bobby Charlton was even bigger legend but just couldn't cut it as a manager, very much like Roy Keane or Bran Robson( who did fair better than Most!)

Conte, Pochetino or Tuchel when he gets sacked may all be better options, all with a point to prove and all who would comfortably sit in the top 5 PL managers, unlike poor Ole whose track record is worse than nearly every Manager in the top 12 or 13 in the PL, even Roy Hodgson got to Europa League Final with Fulham, right now I can See Ole's press conference in December, after we get knocked out of a Europa League group saying; 'The club can now concentrate on getting in the top 4'

Is Ole better than Nuno, M Silva, Pelligrini, B Rogers,?

Are we still Manchester United or are we Altrincham United?

Speedicut75

Mourinho signed Fred,Lukaku,Matic,Sanchez,Pogba,Mkhitaryan,Bailly and they did cost a lot but one could argue they have not impressed. He also signed players I would say did well in Ibrahimovic and Lindelof plus promising in Dalot. But you could hardly argue he did spend the transfer money wisely.
Van Gaal signed Schneiderlin,Deapay,Darmian,Schweinsteiger,Di Maria,Rojo,Falcao that were very poor signings. He signed Shaw,Herrera,Martial and they have done ok.
Moyes signed Fellaini and Mata and I would consider both a waste of money frankly.

So OGS took over from that, has not had a preseason or transfer window and some people are wanting him out already? It beggers belief but who in hell would have been able to get results with that lot? The plain truth is there for all to see, we have spent the transfer money so badly that it´s just depressing to look at. It´s not the lack of transfer fund´s it´s the way we have spent it.

It´s so bad that when you look at the Leicester squad and see that on current form Schmeichel-Pereira-Maguire-Evans-Chilwell-Ndidi-Tielemans-Maddison-Vardy would probably be in the United XI if they were on our books and then you realise the size of the problem the club and OGS has in front of them.
I think recruitment is the nub of the problem as a fair number of these signings were not, I believe, in the blueprints of the aforementioned managers; so without direction at executive level, progress will always be a reaction to compromise and necessity, which makes success doubly hard to achieve when there exists such a variance in approach between footballing and commercial objectives.

Moriarty

He had better attacking players certainly. He was shafted by the club by not being allowed to replace the Unholy Trinity of Crerand Foulkes and Stiles. But he wasn’t tactically clueless.
I can remember back then when people were clamouring for a new centre-half and a midfielder. Why we didn't get someone like Roy McFarland from Derby or Colin Todd from Sunderland is anyone's guess. Cloughie bagged both and they formed the backbone of his Derby side. Problem was that Matt Busby was still the boss and had the final say on transfers and this continued through O'Farrell's tenure and Tommy Doc's too (remember Shilton?).

Status
Not open for further replies.