Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbat12

Sack. A contract should have never been given to him at least until the end of the season when our position was known.

rpitchfo

My increasing worry with ole is that he doesn’t appear to have a style, he’s talked a lot about our history and the United way and has tried about a thousand formations since he’s been here.

You don’t hear Klopp talking about the Liverpool way. You don’t hear pepp talking about the city way.

They all have their own style based on modern football and stick to it and mould their teams around it.

I want to have faith but don’t think he knows how he wants to play.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sell him? Who gives a player four year contract with the option of one added on to sell him? Who gives Ashley Young a one year contract to sell? Did you read those Ole quotes. You just making stuff up as you go along. Who is going to pay Phil Jones who can barely stay fit in a season £120k a week for the next four years? Ole was the one who told the club to give him a new contract and the same goes for Young. They both play whenever they are fit.

So you think both of these will be gone? No chance. Rojo and Bailly will be gone and so will Darmian. Valencia has already left. That’s our defence clearout. We not getting rid of six defenders in the summer.
Given that you don't read my replies, and are just going off on a rant irregardless of what I say, i'm going to stop replying. Have a good evening, mate.

JustinC00

So the majority want him gone now :lol: Some fans are just as pathetic as the board and the squad now
Couldn't beat 2 relegated teams to end the season which could be the difference between our season starting July 25th instead of August 10th.

Players should get blame but Ole's gotta get some of the blame too. There is also the fact that since the Palace away game we haven't been the better side in any game. Again, you can put blame on the players but blame also has to go on the manager for going 3 months and having no answers, Cardiff & Huddersfield really put an exclamation on it. 11 points from 27 in the run-in, needed just 17 to get top 4. draw with Everton and beat Huddersfield and it would have had us going into the Cardiff game with top 4 on the line.

So what happens if the same thing happens to start the season and at the end of October we are in 12th place 10 points off top 4? Do we stick with him?

elnorte

Freaky fly day
People blaming Ole make me laugh.

Put Allegri in charge with the chaotic set up at the club behind the scenes and we'd not do much better. LVG n Jose were experienced managers with track records. They both failed.

It's not the manager guys. The players aren't good enough and the owners and CEO are a cancer on this great club. Without Fergie they have been exposed.
In respect to your last sentence I concur. The problems we're seeing now were already becoming evident in Fergie's final years post-Ronaldo. It might not seem obvious given the fact we were still finishing these seasons as champions or coming very close. However, the quality of the performances were taking a marked decline. We were slowly but surely moving away from attractive attacking football to a much slower functional approach.

While the pessimism on the Caf during those years was nothing like what it has become today it was still relatively prominent in numerous discussions. I remember a thread being created simply asking if people still enjoyed watching us play and another more infamous one dedicated to our 'Zombie Passing'. In both many fans made it clear that they felt there had been a significant decline in our commitment to flair and entertainment.

While I also don't believe the recruitment at this time was up to the standards it needed to be, and Fergie must be held to account for this to some degree, as you say his exceptional managerial prowess masked so many of these deficiencies. His abilities meant we could still win with such great regularity while often performing in a manner that seemed so unconvincing when compared to how the team used to play just a couple of years prior. Unfortunately since his departure the mask has now been truly ripped off and our deep-rooted problems laid bare for all to see.

SAFMUTD

My increasing worry with ole is that he doesn’t appear to have a style, he’s talked a lot about our history and the United way and has tried about a thousand formations since he’s been here.

You don’t hear Klopp talking about the Liverpool way. You don’t hear pepp talking about the city way.

They all have their own style based on modern football and stick to it and mould their teams around it.

I want to have faith but don’t think he knows how he wants to play.
Yes, “the United way, what Sir Alex used to do” is pure bullshit.

Sir Alex didnt played the same way his entire career, he adapted according to the circumstances. In the last seasons we weren’t the all attack team, we did a lot of counterattack.

Ole is all talk and no action, he is lucky he strike this opportunity, anyway he’ll be gone before next season ends and we’ll be worst than what we are today.

berbasloth4

can someone just close this thread. how can you question someones job when he hasnt had a chance to put his one stamp on it. fecking Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime

Bojan11

But according to some people we gave him that contract, so we can sell him later. Who is going to pay a transfer fee and match his wages for the next four years? Has big Sam already got a new job or something. I must have missed something that Dee hasn’t.

That and Young was Oles decision. He got rid of Fellaini and Valencia around that time too, so he was clearly deciding who he wanted to stick with.

Siorac

Let's do both.

Buy every single player he wants, provided they are willing to join of course.

Then the moment the transfer window closes, bam, sack him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
But according to some people we gave him that contract, so we can sell him later. Who is going to pay a transfer fee and match his wages for the next four years? Has big Sam already got a new job or something. I must have missed something that Dee hasn’t.

That and Young was Oles decision. He got rid of Fellaini and Valencia around that time too, so he was clearly deciding who he wanted to stick with.
I agree with you. Ole said when he signed as caretaker that he is giving advices to Ed who should go and who should stay.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Sack. A contract should have never been given to him at least until the end of the season when our position was known.
And that's going to achieve what? We'll still have the Glazers and still have Woodward. They are the problem.

Allegri and Poch would go the same way as LVG n Jose did.

Dash247

Sack the players before we get rid of current manager or the future ones.

Atheist

what makes you say that? because he didn't start a spanish left back that we haven't signed yet today? how can he chance them to new players that we dont have?
Nope, he could have played the u-23 players/reserve team. They couldn't be worse than the garbage being served out currently and at least it'd send out a message to these players, who think they can continue starting no matter how many bad performances they put in.

starman

That's a strawman, and you've changed the goalposts. We lost to Wolves and Arsenal too, not PSG.
What the hell are you on about?
So going on a 15 game domestic unbeaten run with not a single one of his own players and then losing away to the 5th and 7th placed teams are "the signs being there" ffs, I depair with our fanbase on here sometimes :houllier:
The only goalposts moved are the ones you move to suit your agenda

Steerpike

He hasn't had the opportunity to buy any players, so has basically been working with the train wreck of a squad bequeathed to him by his predecessors. He has been further hampered by the fact that the squad is not fit enough to play in the way he would like, a situation which again is the consequence of the actions of his predecessors.

Quite simply, there isn't enough to allow a reasonable judgement to be made on his suitability. What can be said in his favour though is that he has at least started to identify some of the problems.

He is our manager, and he needs to be supported. The confirmation of Mike Phelan as his assistant looks like a positive move, and a statement that the board is prepared to back him.

What is the alternative? We could dismiss Ole, and bring in yet another 'star' manager. Said person would come in with a whole raft of demands, but with no guarantees whatsoever. Will Ole win us the title in the next three years - almost certainly not. Would some other manager achieve that feat - almost certainly not.

The time for playing manager merry-go-round at the club has to end, and it might as well end now. I think the Solskjaer-Phelan combination has just as good a chance as any of delivering a marked improvement, and perhaps in time restoring the club to the position of genuine contenders for the major titles. We are a long way off being there at present, and continually changing direction - the inevitable consequence of flitting from one big name manager to another - isn't going to get us there any sooner.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why is the sum total between "Best away vin streak in this clubs entire histoy" "best start as a PL manager ever" "miracle in Paris" "Best team in the PL until the hiring by goals scored, goals conceded and points" and the recent "The players are playing terribly" being equalled to THE MANAGER IS THE PROBLEM!!!11?

Literally the only thing I see here is "we made a mistake, hire poch ladida", but no one has offered any clue as to what they would have done different.

De Gea giving away points and victories, effectively costing us the CL ticket this season was not Oles fault. (De Gea is also the reason we even got so close, so Im going to give him a pass).
Pogba being TERRIBLE after returning from the nationals break and focusing on his transfer dream is not Oles fault
Sanchez not being an option when players are out of form is not Oles fault
Players getting injured left and right because they are not conditioned enough or are just plain terrible at avoiding them is not Oles fault
Eric Bailly getting red cards is not Oles fault
Rashford suddenly dropping off a cliff, unable to beat a goalie repeatedly is not Oles fault
Dalot giving away a penalty (a *borderline* penalty, if any) today is not Oles fault
and so on and so on.

Seriously, why are the players being given a pass?

Ashely Young has time and time again failed to be a reliable offensive player. But we had no actual options. Dalot is not good enough. We all know that. There are so many squad players that have come up short on a personal level you have to scream at the TV and hope they listen because we ALL know they damn well have performed better under the same set of circumstances.

You are all blinded by the end of season success that Tottenham are having. Tottenham lost 13 games this season and only the miracle of DDG and Paul Pogba failing the team in spectacular fashion saved them from playing in the Europa League next season wirth Arsenal. Or at best getting 4th. They were SO bad. MUCH worse than us. But Poch is the hero everyone are clamoring for because his men managed to pull it together in Europe. Fair game, but we also beat out PSG and fell to Barcelona. And to be fair Liverpool got way more spanked in Barcelona than we did. Shame we dont have the offensive godpower that they do, maybe we'd actually beat them as well.

We have the player material we have. They are not up to snuff. This is on the players. ONLY the players.

R'hllor

Wait, people now trying to take contract extensions to Young and Jones away from Ole? Come on guys :lol:. Ever since JM, this place turned into some weird version of political race, its actually mental.

BringKlebersonBack

Today was absolutely atrocious, but I don’t believe that Solskjaer had much choice but to try to play his senior players and see if they could rouse themselves for a win. If he had sent out a youth aide, and they had been beaten 4-0, what would that have done for their confidence and their long-term development? Solskjaer has to do what he can, with what he has.

It was more concerning to hear him say that the “good thing” is that “the season is over” in the post-match press conference. That speaks volumes about what I believe is his growing understanding about the size of the task here. Whether or not he has the tactical acumen is really by the by - a top manager can surround himself with tactical and technical assistants, who act as a brains trust. The real problem for Solskjaer is whether he has the determination to clear out the deadwood, and the confidence to challenge the club hierarchy on the long-term goals and vision that the owners have set. He says the right things now, but if he truly believes that Young, Smalling, Jones, Matic, Rojo, Lingard and the like are worth keeping, and are in any way “good players” as he said post-match....we have a very long season ahead of us in August.

Andy Hill

Bite the bullet. Streets behind City and Liverpool. No realistic prospect of change, if anything we could be out of the top 6.

Get rid, get Pochettino in and start building for the future.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Sacking Ole so soon after giving him the job long-term will only make the club look utterly confused. He has his weaknesses and the club should have waited until the last match before reviewing the season and making a long-term decision on him. But if you consider that for the first time in his career since his first league title at Porto Mourinho failed to win the league within 2 years or at all, you can only conclude that the problems at Utd run deeper than changing the manager. It's also worth remembering that Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba and Mkhitaryan were more than decent players at their previous clubs (and that's why Utd signed them and most fans were very happy), so what happened to them?

Last edited:

Moriarty

Wait, people now trying to take contract extensions to Young and Jones away from Ole? Come on guys :lol:. Ever since JM, this place turned into some weird version of political race, its actually mental.
To be fair, the medical staff insisted on Jones's contract. They want to experiment on him.

Loublaze

ATLien
To be fair, the medical staff insisted on Jones's contract. They want to experiment on him.
He's probably been offered up to aliens for experimentation without his knowledge, might explain his shape shifting expressions

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Marrakesh

If Poch decides to leave Spurs and is open to managing United, we should hire him. If not, back Ole fully in the summer.

Giggsyking

It's a strange place to be in when you see an absolute legend who has given so much for the club on a run of form like this because if I start having second thoughts about the appointment I feel unappreciative. It shouldn't be that way but it just is as there's undoubtedly an emotional attachment with this appointment.

I think we should give him at least a year but I have to say though I don't feel optimistic about next season at all. We're asking a manager with very little experience to basically rebuild the team from scratch. It's an enormous ask and there are already worrying signs ...Rashford as a centre forward, Smalling, Young, Jones will be here next year on extended contracts, Pogba and De Gea leaving. It's an absolute mess.
The only thing that made Sir Alex a winner in the club, he was ruthless and never blinked when it came to make important decisions, that what we should do as a club, we love Ole, but he should go.

George The Best

Sacking Ole so soon after giving him the job long-term will only make the club look utterly confused. He has his weaknesses and the club should have waited until the last match before reviewing the season and making a long-term decision on him. But if you consider that for the first time in his career since his first league title at Porto Mourinho failed to win the league within 2 years or at all, you can only conclude that the problems at Utd run deeper than changing the manager.
We already look utterly confused. No way would Jose or any of the previous managers post SAF have got us on this bad a run. We are on relegation form and entrusting a summer window and pre-season to somebody who has reduced us to losing to Huddersfield and Cardiff, amongst others. We finished the same number of points ahead of Cardiff as we did behind City. The last two months have shown Ole is not up to it. Squad may not be great but they are a damn sight better than what’s been delivered lately. We need to bite the bullet.

Foxbatt

Yes we are forced to stick with him anyway and so give him the players he need. The transfer window will show us if the Board and Ole has got it right. But to hear that the club did not sign De Ligt because his father was fat really takes the biscuit.
This shows that we as a club is not interested in winning the PL or the CL. Now they have made Mike "Balloon" Phelan the assistant Manager. I bet we would not change the players much in the transfer window.

dove

It's a cult. 50% of people get so defensive about people they like as if they were their relatives. The other half just won't admit they were wrong so they keep spouting BS they don't even believe themselves :lol: Blatantly ignoring obvious signs and calling the ones who have eyes open as not real fans or morons :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Bite the bullet. Streets behind City and Liverpool. No realistic prospect of change, if anything we could be out of the top 6.

Get rid, get Pochettino in and start building for the future.
Real, Barca, Juve would do that. But we are not them. We don't want to be like them. People here mocking to Real how they do "hilarious" things and sack managers. And they are light years in front of us. They sack Rafa after few months and won CL.
We laugh at Chelsea how they sack manager every year. Chelsea that have two titles in last 5 years.

Mora-16

As usual the board rush into making decisions that we come to regret. We often make decisions based on sentimentality rather than cold hard business acumen.
OGS may be a legend at OT but no where else, and when he is competing with top quality experienced managers in the transfer market, he has no pull.

Our history and reputation no longer has the pulling power to get top players.
OGS took the players to The Cliff a few weeks ago to experience the history of our club to inspire and motivate them. Most of the players don’t care about what made us great. All they care about are their wages, bonuses and tie ins, their cars, their watches and their tattoos.
Ole we love you but the job is too big for you.

dove

Real, Barca, Juve would do that. But we are not them. We don't want to be like them. People here mocking to Real how they do "hilarious" things and sack managers. And they are light years in front of us. They sack Rafa after few months and won CL.
We laugh at Chelsea how they sack manager every year. Chelsea that have two titles in last 5 years.
It's not a United way. When we sign a player, or he comes through an academy and happens to be slightly better than the rest of them, we think we owe them at least a testimonial. Same with managers, we think we must wait until we waste hundreds of millions and are literally in the relegation form. As you know, being proactive is not a United way.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
"Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did nothing in his managerial career to merit a job as big as the Manchester United one."

"He does not have the tactical solutions to solve games"

"The difference between “parking the bus” under Mourinho and Solskjaer is that Mourinho actually has a successful career behind him."

https://www.goal.com/en/news/five-o...oblems-and-why-they/nzik1fimv5dd1i1h7pra6pz3l
“He does not have the tactical solutions to solve games. His style of football is reliant in the extreme on the form of his goalkeeper and his centre forwards. It is percentage football.”

Someone actually got paid to write that. Give me fecking strength.

Revaulx

I can remember back then when people were clamouring for a new centre-half and a midfielder. Why we didn't get someone like Roy McFarland from Derby or Colin Todd from Sunderland is anyone's guess. Cloughie bagged both and they formed the backbone of his Derby side. Problem was that Matt Busby was still the boss and had the final say on transfers and this continued through O'Farrell's tenure and Tommy Doc's too (remember Shilton?).
We got Ian Ure :lol:

Between Morgan in summer 69 and Buchan in spring 72 we signed NO first team players AT ALL other than the aforementioned clumsy oaf. And people moan about Jose not being backed...

Bojan11

Of course, I hear West Ham are working on a record £50m bid for Jones. It was the master plan all along. Sign them up long term and shift them easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.