Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

What exactly has he done in his career as a manager that makes you believe that?
He did well at Molde. Cardiff was a mess. He's done pretty well here overall.

Years of success as a manager is not a prerequisite. Pep didn't have it before Barca, Zidane didn't have it before Madrid, Van Gaal didn't have it before Ajax and Jose didn't before Porto. It's just an easy stick for people to beat him with right now.

What we need right now is a hungry young manager with something to prove who can transmit that energy to the players. He's the perfect candidate to do this. I also believe he's a much more intelligent manager than he's getting credit for on here. Even during the bad run some if his team set ups were excellent. They were just undermined by fitness and individual errors.

haram

Ok you are still not answering my question. Despite what you think about Woodward and the Glazers I asked you about if you really were stating that Van Gaal and Mourinho did not make the final say on what players they signed?
Will they settle for their 3rd choice over nothing? Yes. I don't get your point.

Ibrahimorich

My God there is no logic in what you are saying. If a world class manager or world class player flops does that mean you should stop pursuing world class managers or players and replace them with shit ones? He relegated Cardiff ffs! he couldnt even win the league with Molde, he ended up 6th!
And please dont compare Klop with Ole its pointless
It's your logic pal. Manchester United has never been about chasing world class managers or players. The team ethos comes first. We've tried supposed "world class" and "proven" managers. They failed if you don't remember. Perhaps let's try someone who knows what the club is about.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Likewise, your lack of simple knowledge of Ole's Molde shows how little you know also. He's built two very distinct teams at Molde and won titles there. He also punched well above his weight in Europe with that same team against much bigger teams. Is it better than Klopp's achievements at Dortmund? No, but considering Klopp was hired at Dortmund after relegating Mainz, it seems the comparison isn't too farfetched.

Also, the only reason why Solari was given a contract was due to Spanish labour laws. He was never going to be the permanent manager. Anyone with an iota of knowledge of the situation knew that. Except you, it seems.
After relegating Cardiff he returned to Molde and finished 6th and the next year 5th. And that is bloody Molde we are talking about in the Norwegian league, and he has become manager in probably the most difficult managerial position on the planet.

Mainoldo

It's your logic pal. Manchester United has never been about chasing world class managers or players. The team ethos comes first. We've tried supposed "world class" and "proven" managers. They failed if you don't remember. Perhaps let's try someone who knows what the club is about.
We had the best manager of all time. Now is that not world class?

UnofficialDevil

Oh bollocks team ethos. Come on. The United way blah blah. Football has evolved. And we always had world class players and a world class manager when we were winning. We were braking one transfer fee record after the other. You obviously cant remember

Last edited:

UnofficialDevil

Years of success as a manager is not a prerequisite. Pep didn't have it before Barca, Zidane didn't have it before Madrid, Van Gaal didn't have it before Ajax and Jose didn't before Porto. It's just an easy stick for people to beat him with right now.

What we need right now is a hungry young manager with something to prove who can transmit that energy to the players. He's the perfect candidate to do this. I also believe he's a much more intelligent manager than he's getting credit for on here. Even during the bad run some if his team set ups were excellent. They were just undermined by fitness and individual errors.
Those managers were unproven and did well at their first go. Ole however has been managing for years and done nothing.

Yakuza_devils

All the evidence suggest that his early success was down to new manager bounce. After that, his man management was awful throwing his players under the bus when the results went south. His tactics and strategy were non existence. We played defensive boring football again.

Also, players like Rashford and Pogba scored with almost every chance they get initial and this skewed the opinion that Ole was performing. He has no CV to back him up either and our play becoming much worse. Give player fitness as an excuse? We don't need top fitness to beat Cardiff and Huddersfield ffs.

Enigma_87

You know who

What?

Reddevil1978

Ole still has to pick from Sir Alex's players, Moyes players, LVG players and Mourinho players. I'm not sure if Ole can fix us because we're very broken but I think he should get chance.

Let's give him a chance to sign some players remove the slackers and implement his system and maybe we can play like his first few games again.

The board really have to make changes and spend heavily this window because unfortunately United is now a business and a failing one at that. And the club has to be seen to be improving and at least mounting a serious challenge or the money starts to decline, and I'm sure the Glazers pockets will eventually feel this. I just hope they act now.

Reactions: Raoul

shiranaiotoko

Sack him and hire another fraud? No thank you, let's give him a time. If he fails then we are beyond hope unless miracle happens. Klopp/Guardiola or some other guy with a vision, anything else is wasting another year and we can continue like that for years until money runs out.

BlueHaze

I personally feel that Old should go and agree with the woman below about there being no shape etc. in the way we play

I love Old as a person and what he did for us as a player. He gave me some of my favourite ever football memories but it feels taboo on here to say he should go. Rather accept we made a mistake now than next season and waste literally another year or two (sack him half way through, new manager and then let them have a summer themselves and repeat)
I like that lady. Seen multiple of those fan cam interviews with her and she's more passionate about this team than our entire squad. I feel bad for her having to witness this shower of shite at that age. The stress can't be good for her.

UnofficialDevil

Ole still has to pick from Sir Alex's players, Moyes players, LVG players and Mourinho players. I'm not sure if Ole can fix us because we're very broken but I think he should get chance.

Let's give him a chance to sign some players remove the slackers and implement his system and maybe we can play like his first few games again.

The board really have to make changes and spend heavily this window because unfortunately United is now a business and a failing one at that. And the club has to be seen to be improving and at least mounting a serious challenge or the money starts to decline, and I'm sure the Glazers pockets will eventually feel this.
I really dont get this. If he had taken Cardiff into the top 6 or something then yeah I would understand, but he relegated them! And then returned to Molde and ended up 6th. And the next year 5th. Why on earth would we let him manage the most difficult managers chair in the world right now? Just because he was football legend? Alright let Scholes and Neville have a go too.

minoo-utd

In the last 12 matches or so only one win and we were still playing for F.A cup and 4th place. Sorry what happened is not acceptable under any managers. Sack before it's too late. Yes youncan put all the blame in the players if you want and rightly so but Imo Ole's tactical subs and his determination of relying on the likes of Young Jones Smalling Lingard Rashfor is killing me.

Canagel

What did Poch, Klopp and Pep "know" about their clubs? The idea we must always choose from in house because 2 other dinosaur managers flopped is very shortsighted. We didn't pick the best managers- our rivals did.

Sir Scott McToMinay

All the evidence suggest that his early success was down to new manager bounce. After that, his man management was awful throwing his players under the bus when the results went south. His tactics and strategy were non existence. We played defensive boring football again.

Also, players like Rashford and Pogba scored with almost every chance they get initial and this skewed the opinion that Ole was performing. He has no CV to back him up either and our play becoming much worse. Give player fitness as an excuse? We don't need top fitness to beat Cardiff and Huddersfield ffs.
I don’t recall this happening, if anything I thought he was extra soft.

minoo-utd

I hope people who defend him realize that there's no excuses for losing to a relegated team and drew to the other. Sorry but his tactics non exist and he seems like a man who has not got any kind of football brain to me.

OGSaviour

Watching Pep and the city players interviews after the league win they all spoke about the importance to have two top players fighting for each position, no player allowed to rest on their laurels or think they were too important to be dropped, this is exactly the kind of investment Ole and the club need for any success to come to the club in the next few years, or else it's back to the 80's for United

johanovic

28 games is enough to make a initial judgement of his abilities. So far it looks awful on the pitch. His players doesn’t respond to whatever he tries to do. Why do you think there will be improvements in the future?

Putting blind faith to someone who doesn’t have the experience, who seems to have limited knowledge and when getting a chance don’t deliver at least decent results seems unwise
If you would put together a XI squad or teams from the PL how many United players would get near that? On current form I can not think of a single one and how can a manager that´s not had a transfer window + not a preseason be expected to change the dire state of this Man Utd squad then? He did for a certain spell and that gave us all hope and we probably did see the best football since Fergie during that time. What changed? Did the players feel safe after OGS got the contract? Did they run out of steam as he´s talked about them not being fit enough? Or did some of the just stop to give an effort since they have their eyes fixed on the exit door?

johanovic

I hope people who defend him realize that there's no excuses for losing to a relegated team and drew to the other. Sorry but his tactics non exist and he seems like a man who has not got any kind of football brain to me.
Does not look like having any kind of football brain to me you say? Are you serious? Fergie rated his football brain quite highly but you surely most know better? He did a good job as U23 manager at United, worked wonders with Molde and had a nightmare at Cardiff. But to make these kind of statements is just a joke and poor one at that.

WPMUFC

Here's my biggest worry.

We are likely going to lose De Gea, Pogba, Lukaku, Mata, Sanchez simply because they want out. Does Ole have the spine to then sell the deadwood on top of that?

After last night, i think Ashley young is another team regular next season. Same with Smailling and Jones. He's going to be too scared to sell the likes of those clowns and the deadwood that won't even get a game (rojo / darmian etc)

He starts ashley young again? what the actual flap is that? Does Ole have a secret crush on his missus or something and wants to see her after the game? Young getting game after game is probably as deluded as LVG/Jose's obsession with Fellaini.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I really dont get this. If he had taken Cardiff into the top 6 or something then yeah I would understand, but he relegated them! And then returned to Molde and ended up 6th. And the next year 5th. Why on earth would we let him manage the most difficult managers chair in the world right now? Just because he was football legend? Alright let Scholes and Neville have a go too.
You do not get people saying waiting until the club gets a few transfers in until you judge him?

Reddevil1978

I can see both sides keep him/sack him this is just my opinion, I'm fed up with proven experienced managers who have not moved and adapted with the times. Ole brought some stability when he arrived but now I believe most of the players are average and 6th is true reflection of the squads level.

I can't blame Ole for the poor recruitment of the last 3 managers and what I think is a team of mentally weak players who don't play for the shirt or each other.

Sir Alex didn't leave the squad in great shape either, he over achieved with them and left an ageing team for Moyes, maybe that was because of "no value in the market" was forced upon him by the owners. His team management was superb and its a shame we never seemed to plan for his retirement earlier or better.

Whatever happens I hope we can't get worse next season....... can we?

WPMUFC

Here's my biggest worry.

We are likely going to lose De Gea, Pogba, Lukaku, Mata, Sanchez simply because they want out. Does Ole have the spine to then sell the deadwood on top of that?

After last night, i think Ashley young is another team regular next season. Same with Smailling and Jones. He's going to be too scared to sell the likes of those clowns and the deadwood that won't even get a game (rojo / darmian etc)

He starts ashley young again? what the actual flap is that? Does Ole have a secret crush on his missus or something and wants to see her after the game? Young getting game after game is probably as deluded as LVG/Jose's obsession with Fellaini.

minoo-utd

Does not look like having any kind of football brain to me you say? Are you serious? Fergie rated his football brain quite highly but you surely most know better? He did a good job as U23 manager at United, worked wonders with Molde and had a nightmare at Cardiff. But to make these kind of statements is just a joke and poor one at that.
I am sorry but I can't see anything on the pitch, can you? I don't know but no plans or whatsoever What he was trying to do last couple of games? Look at his game management and his subs, can't see anything promising I am afraid.

johanovic

Here's my biggest worry.

On current form at least Lukaku,Mata and Sanchez will not be missed. I hope De Gea and Pogba stay but one could belive they are leaving. De Gea has had a shocking season but he´s one of the best GK in the world. Pogba is an enigma to me and I just do not like footballers that do not give maxium effort every time they play. No matter is some Hollywood passes go astray but cover your ground, win you tackels and stop just strolling about like you are to good to give an effort.

Ashley Young should of course not be seen in a United shirt but what are the options at right back at this time? Dalot(he´s got a lot to learn), Valencia(done) and who else? Should Laird or O´Connor get a chance? Shaw was probably off today due to injury?
OGS booted out Fellaini and that was a relief as that man was never a United player. As for the rest of the squad we are on thin Ice almost everywhere you look. I was glad to see Greenwood today and Gomes coming on. No matter what boss would be here. The size of the rebuilding is huge and that just can not be overlooked. But promoting youth and giving them a chance over players like Rojo,Young,Darmian,Jones,Bailly,Fred,Matic,Mata,Sanchez,Lukaku must be part of that rebuild.

UnofficialDevil

You do not get people saying waiting until the club gets a few transfers in until you judge him?
No I dont. Would you trust your millions for transfers to someone who is obviously way out of his depth and not up for it? Ive already judged him from what he has done at Molde and Cardiff. He has been coaching for years and has done nothing to make me believe he should be given the chance to spend 150 million on players for us. Why would I? Lets give Neville a summer and a few transfers and Scholes while we are at it too.

BlueHaze

In the last 12 matches or so only one win and we were still playing for F.A cup and 4th place. Sorry what happened is not acceptable under any managers. Sack before it's too late. Yes youncan put all the blame in the players if you want and rightly so but Imo Ole's tactical subs and his determination of relying on the likes of Young Jones Smalling Lingard Rashfor is killing me.
Sack him now and we have to pay him £21m. And then who the hell do we bring in? A new manager is going to want at least 6 months to assess the squad and we'll be back to square one.

UnofficialDevil

I can see both sides keep him/sack him this is just my opinion, I'm fed up with proven experienced managers who have not moved and adapted with the times. Ole brought some stability when he arrived but now I believe most of the players are average and 6th is true reflection of the squads level.

I can't blame Ole for the poor recruitment of the last 3 managers and what I think is a team of mentally weak players who don't play for the shirt or each other.

Sir Alex didn't leave the squad in great shape either, he over achieved with them and left an ageing team for Moyes, maybe that was because of "no value in the market" was forced upon him by the owners. His team management was superb and its a shame we never seemed to plan for his retirement earlier or better.

Whatever happens I hope we can't get worse next season....... can we?
We could end up 7th easily.

rotherham_red

After relegating Cardiff he returned to Molde and finished 6th and the next year 5th. And that is bloody Molde we are talking about in the Norwegian league, and he has become manager in probably the most difficult managerial position on the planet.
No mention of the context again, though? The Norwegian league being a one team league, that team being Rosenburg? That he was building a young side comprised of academy and youth signings? That he recovered from there and finished 2nd in his final season, almost overhauling Rosenburg in the process after being well out of contention months previously?

Steerpike

So why did we hire him then?
We hired him as a caretaker manager, then he was given the job on a permanent basis after a string of promising results and performances. Perhaps that decision was premature, but I think he's done as well as could be expected given the resources available to him, and probably as well as anyone else would have done. Having given him the job, we should now let him have the chance to do it (i.e. a pre-season and a couple of transfer windows so that he can start to build the squad he wants, and implement his own ideas with a team fit for purpose).

UnofficialDevil

No mention of the context again, though? The Norwegian league being a one team league, that team being Rosenburg? That he was building a young side comprised of academy and youth signings? That he recovered from there and finished 2nd in his final season, almost overhauling Rosenburg in the process after being well out of contention months previously?
He finished 2nd in a one team league. 5 points behind them. In Norway. Give him the Manchester United job.

Status
Not open for further replies.