Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Yesterday I wanted him out admittedly, but after sleeping it over, remembering 99’ and rethinking it all clearly, I think he should be given the summer, let’s see what he does and who he brings, maybe he’ll bring a couple of talented attacking fast players who’ll get us of to a good start, playing good football.

You’ve got to at least give him that chance, but if it goes south from the start, he should be gone as quick as possible so we could still get something out of the season.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I sincerely hope it works out for Ole and I believe he will be backed in the summer window.

But if it doesn't work out, then there is very good managers out there not called Klopp, Pep or Pochettino who could turn around our ailing club.

Marco Rose, Adi Hutter and the chap at Southampton could implement a style that would take us forward. My personal choice would be Rose who is the new man at the helm at Hoffenheim. But it was reported by Neil Ashton that he was one of the names on the shortlist as a potential Manchester United manager when Mourinho was fired. So I wonder if the club will look at him again, if needs be.

Champagne Football

Yesterday I wanted him out admittedly, but after sleeping it over, remembering 99’ and rethinking it all clearly, I think he should be given the summer, let’s see what he does and who he brings, maybe he’ll bring a couple of talented attacking fast players who’ll get us of to a good start, playing good football.

You’ve got to at least give him that chance, but if he it goes south from the start, he should be gone as quick as possible so we could still get something out of the season.
Think it was same for us all yesterday. We were all hungry for blood yesterday but after calming down.... He deserves a summer and at least till Christmas. If he can have a successful window - Koulibaly, Cancelo, Gueye, Fernandes and another forward.... then he can turn it around very quickly. If he can't get some of the bigger names he wants then it's a little worrying.

el3mel

By the Wolves I mean supporters, by the way. Throw a couple a young CB into our back four and watch them end their United career by struggling just like all our defenders. Yeah that’s a really good idea.
It was a meaningless game against a relegated side. The logical thing is to give the fans some new faces to watch at least instead of playing Ashley fecking Young again or some thing. Actually it would have made the loss more bearable and with an excuse, but to play all the main team bar 1 youngster then proceed to lose anyway, ridiculous.

Mcking

I sincerely hope it works out for Ole and I believe he will be backed in the summer window.

But if it doesn't work out, then there is very good managers out there not called Klopp, Pep or Pochettino who could turn around our ailing club.

Marco Rose, Adi Hutter and the chap at Southampton could implement a style that would take us forward. My personal choice would be Rose who is the new man at the helm at Hoffenheim. But it was reported by Neil Ashton that he was one of the names on the shortlist as a potential Manchester United manager when Mourinho was fired. So I wonder if the club will look at him again, if needs be.
Moenchengladbach actually. Germany do have some decent young managers. Even Norwich's manager, Daniel Farke is German.

Rory 7

It was a meaningless game against a relegated side. The logical thing is to give the fans some new faces to watch at least instead of playing Ashley fecking Young again or some thing. Actually it would have made the loss more bearable and with an excuse, but to play all the main team bar 1 youngster then proceed to lose anyway, ridiculous.
So which CB from the under 23s would you like to see? And why should the club captain not get a run out?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Ralph Hasenhüttl - right guy to take us forward. Rose is too risky for now.

el3mel

So which CB from the under 23s would you like to see? And why should the club captain not get a run out?
I'm not talking about CBs only. Literally as many young players as he can. What's the problem ? It's a meaningless game with no pressure on.

Why should the club captain play ? We don't need his experience (even though it's not present anyway) in such game.

It's a game against a relegated side at home in a season you're already finishing 6th in. If this isn't a chance to field a lineup full of youth then when will we ? Give some youth their debut at Old Trafford in front of the crowd.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ralph Hasenhüttl - right guy to take us forward. Rose is too risky for now.
Rose was on the clubs shortlist after the sacking of Mourinho if Neil Ashton is to be believed. I think the club will no doubt keep tabs on Rose at Gladbach. Rose would be my choice ahead of Hasenhuttl.

Rory 7

I'm not talking about CBs only. Literally as many young players as he can. What's the problem ? It's a meaningless game with no pressure on.

Why should the club captain play ? We don't need his experience (even though it's not present anyway) in such game.

It's a game against a relegated side at home in a season you're already finishing 6th in. If this isn't a chance to field a lineup full of youth then when will we ? Give some youth their debut at Old Trafford in front of the crowd.
I think it could destroy young players to play in the current climate. I’ve no problem with Ole’s selection yesterday. If anything he played players that should form the core next year. Scary.

passing-wind

He'll be out the club soon, said time and time again that the only thing that will keep Ole his job is a miracle. Overnight he'll need to be a better coach then pep, play better football than the top four and install a winning mentality in addition to having the tactical acumen to succeed.

Sacked by late november, it's almost a given.

passing-wind

Sack, it's a no brainer. I honestly cannot see Solskjaer being successful at this club, you don't go from Molde to United and all of a sudden out-do the best managers of the last ten years in addition to the newer managers who have looked more proven.

This club is a mess

TsuWave

People have very short memories. Just to recap, then: Had an absolutely imperious start, breaking records for consecutive wins and games unbeaten. Navigated an injury crisis that absolutely crippled the squad, while at the same time battling to impressive and memorable results. Then, everything went off a cliff and we were shit.

The latter doesn't mean that the former doesn't count. Of course the jury is still out on Ole of course after that recent terrible run, but you'd do well to remember what kind of condition the motor was in before Ole took the wheel...

When he took over, the season was already a complete fecking write-off. We were ELEVEN points and a goal difference of 21 off top 4. We were eight points behind Arsenal in 5th. We had conceded more goals than fecking Huddersfield.

Ole salvaged that into a situation where we were basically De Gea not chucking the ball into the net a couple of times away from getting top 4.

And now we've got posters giving it the full "Paul Ince was right" business. Jesus Christ.
Ole has also presided over our worst run of form since 1962. We play dire, archaic football, team seemingly has no direction/system, weird formations, late and ineffective subs are a constant, and he has a penchant to persist with players that are in horrible form, and even in the winning run we won multiple times against the run of play:

if he gets credit for "salvaging" the situation, then he should too be held responsible for pretty much running it off a cliff.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Youre taking the piss but Moyes is a better manager than Ole.
No. Looks like you’re mixing up between “more experienced” and “better”.

- Moyes (since January 1998)
Games: 919
Win: 387
Draw: 238
Loss: 294
Win %: 42.11

Honours:
Preston North End
Football League Second Division: 1999–2000

Manchester United
FA Community Shield: 2013

- Solksjaer (since November 2010)
Games: 302
Win: 160
Draw: 53
Loss: 89
Win %: 53.0

Honours:
Manchester United Reserves:
Premier Reserve League: 2009–10
Premier Reserve League North: 2009–10
Lancashire Senior Cup: 2008–09
Manchester Senior Cup: 2009

Molde:
Tippeligaen: 2011, 2012
Norwegian Football Cup: 2013

JohnnyKills

Does your boss do that to you?

What we should be doing is putting together a plan, with measurable targets along the way, which takes us from where we are now to where we want to be in x years time (the objectives). As well as performance targets for the team, it would also include targets for the scouting and coaching teams. In addition to targets, the plan would necessarily include the budgets and internal structures required to accomplish the objectives.

We have to think of reestablishing Manchester United as a leading force in world football in terms of a project. The starting point is where we are now and it is going to take time quite a long time to complete, so we need to have milestones along the way to allow us to determine whether we are on track. The other important point is that, in the event of the manager failing to deliver, the new manager, whoever he may be, is hired to proceed in line with the project rather than some personal agenda of his own. We can't go with a 'new manager means new plan' strategy (which is what it feels like we have been doing since SAF retired).
I'm a freelancer so doesn't apply to me. Have no idea whether any manager has done it in my previous jobs. But to be fair I was appointed to each role with a previous track record and I wasn't managing Manchester United.

When Ron Atkinson was sacked in 1986, Fergie was appointed a day later. Do you think we hadn't sounded him out beforehand? I don't.

If we're not talking to alternative candidates, and preparing ourselves for the possibility that our recent form under OGS continues, it would be a dereliction of duty.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Sack, it's a no brainer. I honestly cannot see Solskjaer being successful at this club, you don't go from Molde to United and all of a sudden out-do the best managers of the last ten years in addition to the newer managers who have looked more proven.

This club is a mess
There's no point getting rid of him unless we know there's a better candidate available.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
There's no point getting rid of him unless we know there's a better candidate available.
Are you saying there is no better manager available in world football?

Not saying, he should be sacked now but the level of delusion here is abysmal .

Moriarty

I'm a freelancer so doesn't apply to me. Have no idea whether any manager has done it in my previous jobs. But to be fair I was appointed to each role with a previous track record and I wasn't managing Manchester United.

When Ron Atkinson was sacked in 1986, Fergie was appointed a day later. Do you think we hadn't sounded him out beforehand? I don't.

If we're not sounding out alternative candidates, and preparing ourselves for the possibility that our recent form under OGS continues, it would be a dereliction of duty.
I would have thought that to manage one of the world's biggest sporting institutions, at the very least the candidate would have a track record of winning major domestic and European trophies. Fergie had won a few titles with Aberdeen as well as the Cup-Winners-Cup so, coming into the job, he had far more experience than Big Ron did when he took over from Sexton (whose own CV was better also than Ron's).

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
No. Looks like you’re mixing up between “more experienced” and “better”.

- Moyes (since January 1998)
Games: 919
Win: 387
Draw: 238
Loss: 294
Win %: 42.11

Honours:
Preston North End
Football League Second Division: 1999–2000

Manchester United
FA Community Shield: 2013

- Solksjaer (since November 2010)
Games: 302
Win: 160
Draw: 53
Loss: 89
Win %: 53.0

Honours:
Manchester United Reserves:
Premier Reserve League: 2009–10
Premier Reserve League North: 2009–10
Lancashire Senior Cup: 2008–09
Manchester Senior Cup: 2009

Molde:
Tippeligaen: 2011, 2012
Norwegian Football Cup: 2013
Tippeligaen :lol:

Ibrahimorich

What did Poch, Klopp and Pep "know" about their clubs? The idea we must always choose from in house because 2 other dinosaur managers flopped is very shortsighted. We didn't pick the best managers- our rivals did.
Man City were built in Guardiola's image before he even arrived. They'd been weaving the red carpet for him for years. So he knew everything that mattered. Klopp immersed himself in Liverpool. You only have to look at the Jurgen Klopp thread to see people accusing him of being a deluded honorary scouser. Credit to him. If only Jose had done the same. Poch, I'll give you. He's a good manager with a "philosophy". None of them are available though. Who else is out there with the same cult of personality?

We had the best manager of all time. Now is that not world class?
Once. Before that we had a succession of regular managers.

Oh bollocks team ethos. Come on. The United way blah blah. Football has evolved. And we always had world class players and a world class manager when we were winning. We were braking one transfer fee record after the other. You obviously cant remember
I agree football has evolved. If you look at my posts when Ole was made caretaker, I was against it for the exact same reasons you are now. And when he was made permanent, I said it was a mistake to not wait until the end of the season. But he's here now and he's going to be here until at least 10 games into next season. So you may as well support him.

Remember why Sir Alex was so successful. He got rid of talented players who were drinkers and gamblers etc. He moulded a team ethos. Why do you think Liverpool are so good? It's not because of the quality of their squad. It's the team ethic. Yes, they have talent up front but their midfield is average at best. They all buy in to what Klopp wants. That's what we need back.

There's no quick fixed from here imo. May as well give him a chance. It may well all go tits up after 10 games next season. I hope not.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

If we're not talking to alternative candidates, and preparing ourselves for the possibility that our recent form under OGS continues, it would be a dereliction of duty.
To be fair it was the stone ages back then. George Graham was scouting players by reading match reports in newspapers back then.

slir32

Either back him fully or sack him. The club should back him regardless with quality young signings because we need to get rid of the rubbish regardless if Ole is at the wheel or not.,

Flytan

By the Wolves I mean supporters, by the way. Throw a couple a young CB into our back four and watch them end their United career by struggling just like all our defenders. Yeah that’s a really good idea.
It's a team in the championship. Surely we have some players in the U23s who are capable enough to play there? Or are we more fecked than I thought?

Eddy_JukeZ

Either back him fully or sack him. The club should back him regardless with quality young signings because we need to get rid of the rubbish regardless if Ole is at the wheel or not.,
He could have kicked out Young and Jones.

He was glad to support extending both of them.

slir32

He could have kicked out Young and Jones.

He was glad to support extending both of them.
We need a massive rebuild. There are other players to clear out before Jones and Young. I want Young to leave but he will be useful next season as a backup to multiple positions during this mass clear out transition phase. Players like Rojo, Valenica, Sanchez, Damian etc need to go first that is four players there add Fellaini and Herrera that is 6 players.

So my clear out is as follows.

Summer 1: Fellaini, Herrera,Valencia, Rojo, Damian, Sanchez
Summer 2: Young, Jones, Lukaku, Matic, Mata, Bailly
Summer 3: We have to re assess

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Its amazing how many hysterical, reactionary wussies we have as fans. This thread is even more reactionary than a matchday thread but a far less entertaining.

These are our realities:

1) Ole has barely had the time or never mind had ANY resources to affect the team.

2) The structure of the club is rotten and any manager going forward will be another convenient scapegoat. I rather trust a United person to fix it rather than some mercenary manager.

3) Who would take this poison chalice if we sack one of our own only after six months, with no pre-season and not even two transfer windows, never mind the proverbial three window expectation? No manager worth his weight would ever take it then except for the mercenary ones.

So stop being whiney old biddies, calling for his sacking.

It will not have entered Woodward's thinking -- he will be fecked if he sacks another as its just further proof of his football business ineptitude. He cant afford to let Ole fail now for his own professional reasons.

All it does is provide more ideas and fodder for the press to show how fecked we are. This will affect our potential transfer targets as a result.

Nikelesh Reddy

Conte doesn’t want to manage again in England and is already lined up for Inter job, also a defensive coach. Ancelotti is good at walking into top teams that have underperformed, but does not re build teams, not a good fit.

I want Poch and would take him in a heart beat if he was gettable but highly doubt he is.
If we sack Solksjaer,then we will find someone better.We are going to be drifting around aimlessly next season if we stick with him...When there are some doubts swirling around the competence of the manager,then why should we entrust him with 150 odd million quid?It just doesn’t make any sense at all....

Please sack him now,and try to find an alternative over the next 30 days.IF Tottenham win the CL,Poch could just walk away....He’s already given enough indications that he might leave if they win....There’s a lot of talk that Allegri at Juventus wants a new challenge...,We will definitely find a better alternative...,

Status
Not open for further replies.