Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Permanent manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Samid, Mar 28, 2019.

1. May 22, 2019

youmeletsfly Full Member

I'm getting a bit of a mixed message from him. He's always talking about wanting young players that can be classical "man united" boys, and so on.

To me that sounds like a very dangerous statement or a neat tactic.

He's kinda saying:

a. We're going for talent because the club is not backing me

or

b.We're going for young players at 1st so we can bait the market(or we're just baiting the market and the media) and then we're going after the big guns.

If the 1st one is true, then he won't be here in October/December. If the 2nd one is true, it's brilliant.
  2. May 22, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

3. May 22, 2019

Dve New Member

4. May 22, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Any hopes of objectivity went down the toilet when he said Arsenal are close to a title bid!
  5. May 22, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

In essence, appointing managers is just like you are buying lottery tickets - you either get a winner or you don't? :lol:

Feck research, feck credentials, just appoint your uncle and hope it sticks.
  6. May 22, 2019

Dve New Member

By chance, you could talk a lot of sense (apart from that Arsenal drivel) and still be subjective.
  7. May 22, 2019

Womp idiot

Probably one of our Europa League opponents
  8. May 22, 2019

UnofficialDevil Anti Scottish

Not anti Scotish, just posted a lot against Moyes.
    :lol: the excuses they come up with for appointing Ole.

Im living in Greece now, was talking to a mate who supports some shite Greek team, he said if they had appointed Ole there would have been mass rioting haha
  9. May 23, 2019

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's formative years

[​IMG]
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47879708
  10. May 23, 2019

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    cheers Steve.
  11. May 23, 2019

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

Np, chief. :)
  12. May 23, 2019

Lexxxzi New Member

It's clear that you didn't understand the post you just responded to. You adressed none of the points made and merely made a straw-man out of it all. Try again.
  13. May 23, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

I've seen lots of posts like that. Apparently you shouldn't judge a manager based on credentials unless given 1-2 years since even proven managers aren't guarantee of success. However this point has been reiterated million times and still top clubs would most often than not pick a top manager with proven credentials, compared to gamble with one with no credentials.

Makes literally no business sense. If you are the head of your own big company say Tesco, would you appoint as manager someone with little to no success in the past 10 years that worked for your local 7-11, or someone who oversaw operations and was manager in Walmart or Sainsbury’s?

Can you name a big corporation that hired tier 1 manager with little to no credentials? And no, it's not obsession with credentials, but just how big companies should(and do) operate.
  14. May 24, 2019

Will Singh Full Member

Just seen a tweet saying Rojo had a chat with Ole before the end of season and asked about he's plans and Ole said you are in my plans... Rojo as DM it is then lads
  15. May 24, 2019

SteveW Full Member

I'd imagine getting rid of Sbragia is Oles influence. He will want the u23s to be taken a lot more seriously than recent managers who probably didn't really give a toss
  16. May 24, 2019

edgar allan Full Member

Could well be in his plans to get rid.
  17. May 24, 2019

Deery New Member

Must admit was watching Sky footballs premier league goals and Spurs came on with their new stadium and players with Pochettino as manager, my first thought was why would anyone sign for United over Spurs. Mostly because off Pochettino but secondly because of their stadium, can see Spurs attracting a lot of quality players this season.
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  18. May 24, 2019

fergiesarmy1 Full Member

I was talking to a spurs fan today and said we were gonna take Kane of their hands in jest, he laughed at me and said why would he go to you now.

Sadly he wasn’t wrong to be fair :(
  19. May 24, 2019

Will Singh Full Member

Rojo actually said he had an offer from Argintina but said he wanted to stay at United and Ole gave him that boost of confidence that I'm personally dreading...
  20. May 25, 2019

Jeffthered Full Member

"There are not going to be any excuses.

You're determined to come back a better team and a better coach, to help the players improve and be even better.

"Yeah it's nice, winning, don't get me wrong. But when you get a season like we've had, I think everyone wants to show what we can do, because they're proud players and we're proud coaches."

This is the sort of talk that worries me about Ole', here he was quoted re Pre-season.

These players are not proud. Not at all. Does he think a summer holiday with friends, family and Instagram is going to change that?
  21. May 25, 2019

fastwalker Full Member

Great post. I think I have posted previously on this forum that Ole should be judged not just on the players he brings in, but also on the ones he keeps. They are just as much a measure of his management competence and capability. In my view Ole is already showing signs that his judgement is flawed. The decision to hold on to Jones and Young is inexplicable. Neither of those players offer anything to United and only serve to show how incapability or having a history with Ole is rewarded.
  22. May 25, 2019

andersj Nick Powell Expert

He talks a lot about our fitness. I understand Gary Walker, one of our former fitness coaches, quit a few months ago. Could this be viewed as an opportunity to bring in someone with fresh ideas?

Klopp moved swiftly to bring in Andreas Kornmayer from Bayern as he was said to be so impressed by the fitness of the Bayern players. Hard to say how important that was, but the Liverpool have certainly improved alot in this perspect.
  23. May 26, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

24. May 26, 2019

Hamstring Hero New Member

Supports:
    Örgryte IS
    Very nice goal by OGS.
  25. May 26, 2019

purgethefallen New Member

Supports:
    Basingstoke Bison Ice Hockey
    All very well saying that, but do we know that the players kept are his decision or Ed's?
  26. May 26, 2019

Stobzilla Official Team Perv

Maybe David Gill was picking the Team for Sir Alex ?
  27. May 26, 2019

purgethefallen New Member

Supports:
    Basingstoke Bison Ice Hockey
    Ed has previous for over-ruling the manager, there were reports that the Glazers said no to getting rid of Martial so no need for the stupid reply.

Damn, just wasted my last post for today. Oh, well.
  28. May 26, 2019

Tom Cato Full Member

Maybe the interim manager did not get to make the call on what players are signed for contracts? If you think the 6month manager OGS had any say in who gets to stay at the club as players before he actually became the permanent manager you are off your rocker.
  29. May 26, 2019

Greck Full Member

The reports were that they rated Martial right? Not that selling him was blocked or even came up.
  30. May 26, 2019

SteveW Full Member

Inexplicable? Both are regular starters. Valencia, Darmian, Rojo and Bailly are worse and need to go before we start selling regulars. We cant realistically sell and replace 6 defenders in one window.

There I've explained the inexplicable. Wasnt that hard if you have a tiny amount of common sense.
  31. May 26, 2019

Grande Full Member

Barcelona and Real Madrid.

You seem to have amassed quite a number of posts complaining about our manager now? What do you hope to achieve?
  32. May 26, 2019

Dve New Member

One year contract, and United are thin on the backs. Can´t be bad.

Anyway, didn´t the contract negotiations with Jones and Young start before Ole arrived?
  33. May 26, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Voicing my opinion just like any other.

We need change and we make mistakes over and over. Seems most of the fans that are happy with Ole are happy with United hovering around 6-8 and mounting a challenge for top 4. Something we not so long ago mocked Arsenal for.
  34. May 26, 2019

Ban Full Member

Don't make baseless assumptions.
  35. May 26, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

As in? Check the expectations under Ole thread. Most are predicting out of top 4 finish.

What's your base that we will finish top 4? His work at Molde, Cardif, or our current 6th place finish?
  36. May 26, 2019

Ban Full Member

Is manager our only problem right now? I won't make any predictions before transfer window closes. Of course most are predicting that based on the state of the team right now. That doesn't mean they would be happy or satisfied with that.
  37. May 26, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Appointing inexperienced manager out of his depth at a team in turmoil is a big problem - yes. Look what Moyes got us into.

Since we have a permanent choice now Woodward won't rush with appointing a DoF - another problem, again derived from that choice.

Ole isn't our only problem right now - far from it. But he's still is and if that appointment fails it will void another 2-3 years of rebuilding.

Look at the names associated with backroom positions - past players with little credentials - you can see a pattern here that I don't think many would like - me included.
  38. May 26, 2019

Lexxxzi New Member

Wouldn't take Enigma very seriously. I mean, look at his posts in this thread. It's hilarious how obsessed he is with the idea that Ole is shaait, really.
  39. May 26, 2019

Ban Full Member

So you think if we hired some other manager club would start rebuilding and restructuring?
    Moyes didn't move a muscle transfers wise and let go of Fergie's staff. As for past players other clubs hire them also and they tend not to have many credentials whatever you would consider as those. Who would your hire?
    There are many problems yet you think manager is the biggest one.
  40. May 26, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Same feelings mate. Don't take you seriously either ;)