Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Permanent manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Samid, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Aug 13, 2019 at 12:14

Judas Open to offers

He keeps his job if things remain positive and we’re improving and going the right direction, it makes everyone happy at every level.

There’s no rhyme or reason to stick with him if it’s a disaster of a season, obviously. If we don’t look to be going anywhere, if he’s not been able to implicate any particular style to our team, he’ll be gone and rightfully so.
  2. Aug 13, 2019 at 12:14

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Isn't anyone starting an Ole sack watch thread?

They have ones for Zidane & Lamps.
  3. Aug 13, 2019 at 12:31

Patience New Member

You contradicted yourself within your own post... See bolded part. Yeah.. it took six years for him to win a major trophy...

United have had two major reigning eras in England. Both the result of biding by a manager who was building something that would take years.
  4. Aug 13, 2019 at 12:36

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

While the team shows progression and Ole plays positively, I will back him 100%

He cannot wave a magic wand, but he can make the right decisions and aim to play the correct way, and that goes a long way to buying himself time.

Right now he's saying everything we want to hear, and his transfers have been spot on.

If in January/summer we can get a LB, RW and a CDM to replace Matic we will be flying.
  5. Aug 13, 2019 at 12:37

Eriku Full Member

Naah, you can pretty much put in your two cents on Ole being sacked in any thread in the United forum, so there’s no need.
  6. Aug 13, 2019 at 12:50

Grande Full Member

You miss one very crucial point here: Ferguson was given six years because Edwards and the board saw progress and development. Not because you did or the fans did. Four years into his tenure, he would be sacked if it was up to the fans. If it was the fans of today, he would have been sacked in his first season.

The progress and development you are talking about, is 80% invisible to most fans, and 95% to complicated. I wanted Ferguson sacked several times during that period.

In fact, if Woodward checked into Redcafe to read 7even and Grande’s views on wether Solskjær was making progress and development, it would almost be a sackable offence.
  7. Aug 13, 2019 at 13:19

Johan07 Full Member

United announced the signing of Norwegian teenager Isak Hansen-Aaroen today.
    Its interesting from the perspective of that the player seems to be represented by Jim Solbakken who is Solskjaers agent as well and was involved in lot of the transfers of Norwegian players to Cardiff when Solskjaer became manager there.
    I really thought Solskjaer would stay away from involving Solbakken in affairs at United because of the controversy regarding the pairs close relationship over the years; not just at Cardiff. It seems like a really dumb idea to potentially bring this issue with him to United as well.
    For those interested in the history: http://josimarfootball.com/the-double-agent/
    The article has some decent stuff regarding the Obi Mikel transfer which Solbakken was involved with as well.
    On the other hand the lad might be a super-talent. I was surprised to see Solbakkens name associated with United transfers though.
  8. Aug 13, 2019 at 13:24

Adam-Utd Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2...rpool-and-in-race-to-sign-isak-hansen-aaroen/

We've been linked to him since before Jose was sacked, so seems a club signing. Nothing to worry about.
  9. Aug 13, 2019 at 13:26

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

Hmm. What is it that I’m missing?

Progress...

If I want to be offensive I should add.,

Questions on that subject.,

but we don’t take that road.

Let’s agree that we want the best for all involved and especially Ole Gunnar even if we don’t agree with all small details :-)
  10. Aug 13, 2019 at 13:29

Dr. StrangeHate Full Member

So he makes the players feel like they are ten feet tall, while the football world is going down the direction of technical midgets. Just another way he is out of touch with modern football.
  11. Aug 13, 2019 at 13:32

Paul InceUlt New Member

What if they had jumped the gun and sacked him at that time? Think this is the moment to slow down the sack-rate a bit and give the manager an opportunity to turn things around. I’m liking the development atm.
  12. Aug 13, 2019 at 13:32

AshRK Full Member

This a very good post. People have to be reasonable with their expectations too. This is Ole's first full season and he was not fully backed by the board. He still has most of the deadwoods which he himself cannot sell. He is still trying to implement his football which we can already witness involved high pressing and more running. It is totally opposite from the previous managers we had. It is a process and it will take time.
  13. Aug 13, 2019 at 13:40

Eriku Full Member

Ah, I see where you went wrong there. When saying they feel ten feet tall, he’s actually talking figuratively, and not literally like in your reference to diminutive players.
    plzo bite
  14. Aug 13, 2019 at 13:41

Johan07 Full Member

I dont worry about the signing itself, or even that Solbakken was involved. The dude represents most Norwegian talent. It stood out that the Mail noted (or were briefed) that Solbakken was involved and that he is Solskjaer´s agent as well. That was strange for a signing of a 14-year old
    There is really no need for more negative publicity around the club and there is a lot the tabloids can do regarding those two and their relationship in the past.
    But maybe I am seeing things that are not there. Probably so.
  15. Aug 13, 2019 at 13:53

Handré1990 Full Member

Looking at the starting XI and the bench, it seems to me it’s pretty obvious that there are several of the senior players Ole doesn’t fancy. Have to wait and see if he has the stones to continue this path, but his comments after Everton doesn’t look quite the lie a lot of posters made them out to be.

He can’t force other teams to buy them, and we absolutely know he can’t force Ed to drop their price tag. What he can do though, is not play them.
  16. Aug 13, 2019 at 13:55

crossy1686 Full Member

Ah, the old ‘let’s hope we lose a couple of games to see if Solskjaer’s any good’ theory rides again.
  17. Aug 13, 2019 at 14:02

Raw Full Member

That's not really what I'm saying. We're gonna lose games, I just want to see Ole still keep the players as focused as they were before.
  18. Aug 13, 2019 at 14:11

Amir Full Member

We haven't been sacking the managers too early. I'd say we were more patient than any other big club would be. Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho - it was clear we were going nowhere with them long before they were gone.
  19. Aug 13, 2019 at 14:14

Amir Full Member

I honestly don't think we've been sacking managers for not finishing in the top four. We've been sacking managers for doing a crap job, which resulted in us not finishing in the top four.

To be fair, I'm not judging Solskjaer on placement at all this season. Fourth or sixth, it won't matter. I'd judge him on style, on progress, on improving players. We should know where this is going by the end of the season.
  20. Aug 13, 2019 at 14:39

Snuffkin New Member

Only one factor matters and that is top 4 position. If we qualify for the Champion's League he stays. No qualification means he is certain to be sacked.
    No matter what we think as fans. No matter how close we came or refereeing injustices, injuries, or the style of play. Simple as that. If it looks inevitable that we wont qualify, he'll be sacked there and then. No amount of panache will save him.
    That said we should be able to qualify, Ole is positivity personified, if the players cant respond then they will be dropped. And if we do qualify the young players will be greatly improved and that will provide a huge benefit for the future.
  21. Aug 13, 2019 at 14:53

crossy1686 Full Member

I know, I was only joking but there was an undercurrent of people wanting him to lose games back on that 12 game run, just so they could see if he was any good. In other words, they just didn’t want him to be the manager and were trying to find the most obscure angle to give him shit
  22. Aug 13, 2019 at 14:53

2OLEgend_2019 New Member

He wasn't being serious... surely?

edit: bleedin white text :lol:
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 15:02
  23. Aug 13, 2019 at 14:58

He'sRaldo New Member

I think our identity will evolve as time passes, and as our players mature, especially the forwards.
  24. Aug 13, 2019 at 15:04

Gasolin Full Member

I wonder when we can start rotating cause that was really key to keep our shape when winning titles.
    We need to rotate and we need the subs to play a big role in the title race, that's how you instill that kind of winning mentality, by involving everyone and working hard during training.
  25. Aug 13, 2019 at 15:11

Shiva87 Full Member

This was the first game of the season. Things like this will get ironed out more as the players start gelling together better, and the defence establishes its stability.
  26. Aug 13, 2019 at 15:11

tomaldinho1 Full Member

He's one from one, +4 GD and a clean sheet. Couldn't have wished for a better start.

I think we all have our worries given what we've seen but he's got us scoring goals, I think we've had a good transfer window and I believe we can make top 4. Which would be real progress.
  27. Aug 13, 2019 at 15:35

Grylte "nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

I'm sure Rafaeldagold and Ranchero had them written and ready before the Chelsea game, probably have them saved in a text file for our first loss.
  28. Aug 13, 2019 at 17:10

Eriku Full Member

:D
  29. Aug 13, 2019 at 18:00

Dr. StrangeHate Full Member

I see where you went wrong there. It was a joke.

Edit: white text nooooooooo
  30. Aug 13, 2019 at 20:50

Phil Osophy Full Member

I think Solskjaer is essentialy trying to build a team that can score in any moment and from every situation of the game. Above formations, possession stats and everything else this seems to be the concept behind. It's a refreshing change after the last 6 years of over calculation and conservative dross, and probably that's what saved us against Chelsea in a game where we didn't have much control.

As soon as we got the ball back we tried to damage them and score the second, third, and fourth goal. The key is remaining a threat in attack to keep them in alert, trying to score more goals to kill their hopes and momentum, and I think that's a much better way of defending and protecting us than getting under the posts and praying to the gods.

This is why despite the overall display being unconvincing at times I really like the ideas they're trying to instill. I'm sure that Ole and the staff have the right ambitions and beliefs but they need time to adjust the machine. There's a lot of work to do with this team yet, there's holes in different positions and we're relying also on a good number of young players.

If I'm not wrong our starting line up was the youngest this weekend, and that could be the tendency for the rest of the season. It seems that we are thinking long term this time instead of going for the quick fix, so while there's improvements and a good atmosphere around the team they will keep backing the man for sure, and I'm fine with it.

The only thing I'm not very convinced about at the moment is Pogba in a midfield two. I'm not sure if he's got the mastery to play that role and protect the back of the team efficiently, nor to play the ball quickly under strong pressing in critical zones. He tends to dwell too long on the ball and against Chelsea he had dangerous loses. It's the typical thing that doesn't matter near the opposition box, but near your own one it can cost you the game.

He created two goals amazingly so can still be determinant in attack, but he's limited to isolated moments compared to playing in a midfield 3 with more freedom. That version of Pogba between December and March was the most savage I've ever seen from him. We exploited his talent and physicality while hiding that naivety on his own half of the field, so that role was tailor made for him. I trust Ole's judgment and there must be a reason for that change, so we'll see what happens and how he performs. But I have the feeling that we're wasting part of his qualities there.
  31. Aug 13, 2019 at 21:09

Leftback99 Full Member

The less we need to rotate in the PL, the better. It's been too long since we had an obvious first XI, the sooner we work one out the better, the others can get their chances in the cups.

The successful premier league sides recently you can name 9/10 of their starting line ups without even thinking about it, constant injuries and inconsistency of line ups has been an issue for us in recent years.

We're not in a title race though.
  32. Aug 13, 2019 at 22:07

ChaddyP Full Member

we could have punished them even more if martial had put away the free chance he got due to Zouma passing error early on :D
  33. Aug 13, 2019 at 22:13

Ban Full Member

Zouma brought lots of gifts. :D
  34. Aug 13, 2019 at 22:16

Gasolin Full Member

We have to. Otherwise, there will be no belief, no confidence, and nothing will work out. So Ole has to convince the players that it's going to be the title this year, and some early good results will obviously help with the confidence.
  35. Aug 13, 2019 at 23:28

mattsville Full Member

It feels like Manchester United again, and there is optimism for it to keep developing, promoting youth, excluding wasters, high octane way of playing, brave decisions, not just in the squad selection but not rubber stamping the likes of dybala and erikson as shiny signings due concerns of commitment, even though we could have most likely paid the money as in previous seasons, not replacing lukaku to allow Greenwood in, there is a good feel to it.
  36. Aug 14, 2019 at 00:26

Raven Full Member

I don't think we'll be bummed by either at OT, that Chelsea team is far Better than Norwich and a good bit better than West Ham, obviously it's just one match, but give us some credit.
  37. Aug 14, 2019 at 00:34

dave1956 Full Member

I am a long term supporter and have witnessed the comings and goings of managers from Sir Matt onwards. Times have changed I accept that and there is a feel amongst supporters of the need for instant success and I understand this after the years of success. However, two of the 3 most successful of the club's managers ( Sir Matt and Sir Alex ) were not in their early years very successful.
    Sir Matt became officially manager on the 1.10.1945 and managed league runners up in the following years 1947, 48, 49 and 1951, in this period his only success was the FA., Cup in 1948 and it was not until 1952 that the team won the 1st Division Champion which was not repeated until 1956.
    Sir Alex took 6 years before his first success. My point is that both of these eventually became very successful managers, however, it took time for them to bring to the club the changes in players, coaching and supporting infrastructure needed for prolonged success.
    Ole now needs the same support both from the fans and the owners, this restructuring of the club at a playing level will take time, however, I believe that if he is given that time and the support of the owners and fans he is capable of building another great club dynesty
  38. Aug 14, 2019 at 08:08

Tony247 Full Member

So lukaku claims he is now doing 'real work' at Inter eh.
  39. Aug 14, 2019 at 08:11

Gasolin Full Member

Evra said something similar. Apparently over there you run really a lot... I find that weird. Surely Ole makes the lads work out a lot as well.
  40. Aug 14, 2019 at 08:13

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

IIRC he wasnt training with the group after few days.