Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Barely a choice?! You're saying that a club like United had such a paucity of options that they had to go for a guy who even by your own admission might just have scraped into your top 30 choices?! Sorry but that is horseshit. There are names in the Premier League alone that would make more sense, let alone all the other top leagues.
It was obviously a different scenario at the point of giving him the permanent contract when he was outperforming everyone bar Klopp and Guardiola, but you would have brought in someone like Ranieri at that point for his experience?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

No wonder people are doubting him. Poch would never have celebrated this way.

SER19

I like what ole is doing. I hope we get longstaff Maguire and Fernandes over the line, and see darmian, one centre back and possibly lukaku leave. Since January we would have seen

In: James, Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Longstaff, Fernandes
Out:Fellaini, Valencia, Herrera, Darmian, Jones, Lukaku

It’s a pretty swift overhaul and refresh, add in some blooding of Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Garner.

......................De Gea...........

Wan Bissaka..Lindelof..Maguire..Shaw...

...................Longstaff..............

.............Fernandes....Pogba.........

...Lingard.........Rashford.......Martial.....

It’s still clearly light in spots. But a total overhaul can’t happen in a few months. If that was to transition to the loss of Pogba, and the signing of Sancho and a new midfielder and striker next year that would be a huge transformation.

I like what ole is doing. I hope we get longstaff Maguire and Fernandes over the line, and see darmian, one centre back and possibly lukaku leave. Since January we would have seen

It’s a pretty swift overhaul and refresh, add in some blooding of Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Garner.

It’s still clearly light in spots. But a total overhaul can’t happen in a few months. If that was to transition to the loss of Pogba, and the signing of Sancho and a new midfielder and striker next year that would be a huge transformation.
There’s talks about Ben Yedder as well

marktan

The problem is the only technical upgrade you've made there is Bissaka at RB, the rest are just names. That dire front 3 in particular will cause us to struggle for top 4. I still maintain we should've upgraded the attack first before the rest of the team, City and Liverpool started with a strong attack and then plugged the gaps in behind.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The problem is the only technical upgrade you've made there is Bissaka at RB, the rest are just names. That dire front 3 in particular will cause us to struggle for top 4. I still maintain we should've upgraded the attack first before the rest of the team, City and Liverpool started with a strong attack and then plugged the gaps in behind.
I don't necessarily think that there is a right or wrong way to prioritize the rebuild, major work needs to happen in all areas, but perhaps its dictated by the availability of particular players that are on your shopping list.
Its no secret that Sancho was a top target, but we couldn't get him, but then Wan-Bissaka became available so we reacted to that opportunity.

When you look at League goals scored last season, United were very much in the same ball park as our nearest competitors...Arsenal 73, Chelsea 63, Spurs 67, United 65.....So, 2 more goals than Chelsea and only 2 goals fewer than Spurs.
Problem is, 25 of those goals were scored by Pogba (13) and Lukaku (12) and neither one of them might be here next season.
So a creative goal scoring MF is essential, and I'd suggest trading Lukaku for a goal scoring RW who would match Lukaku's tally, give us more balance and contribute more assists too.

Merlin 1975-78

A mistake, I think. But obviously I love Ole and I hope for the best. Unfortunately, I don't think this will work out too well. I would rather see Pochettino.
It is the majority of our players that I blamed for the fact that we ended-up back in 6th place at the end of last season & as for, Pouchettino my jury is still out on him & whilst I accept that he performed a mini-miracle getting, Spurs into the final of The European Champions League, I can't help worrying about that bizzare comment about Trophies are not important to him when his team went out of The FA Cup to Palace last season because there is no way he would get away with a comment such as that if were ever to manage, United as the he would get totely slaughtered by the majority of reds & also the likes of, Custis , Bates, & Danial Taylor in the press aswell & quite rightly so it has to be said.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
At the end of March, Ole said we are a "fantastically well run club". Near the end of the season he said we need to be ruthless and some players won't be part of his plans. And a few days ago he said he's happy with how we're doing in the market and that he's got the backing.

If we don't seriously up our game in recruiting quality and address the lack of balance and depth in certain positions, the blame will be on the owners and Woodward, but Ole will look pretty bad too.

Hopefully there is some sort of managerial genius waiting to blossom in him and somehow, all of a sudden, we show real ambition in the next few weeks.

He needs a pre-season and the chance to sell and buy players to get the team he wants, and I think many are on that particular train of suspending judgment. I just don't like many of his contradictory quotes or glowing endorsements of the ownership. It gets me a little worried.

SqueakyWeasel

Solskjær doesnt stand much chance really. He's already being made the fall guy for United's potential failings in the forthcoming season by the "mainstream sports press" and not a ball has been kicked … even in pre-season as yet :keano:

This from today's Guardian back pages:

Manchester United go for potential, but can Solskjær nurture it?
The policy of targeting players with a point to prove is fine provided the club has the right people to guide them

Quote: "This is where Solskjær has to show his worth. Signing talented, conscientious players with plenty to prove is a fine strategy so long as those players are sure to be given the guidance they still need. If Maguire and Wan-Bissaka were signed by Liverpool or Manchester City, then they could be confident that Jürgen Klopp or Pep Guardiola would help them to fulfil their potential within a smartly run collective. When Mauricio Pochettino promised Tanguy Ndombele this summer that he would turn him into a world-class player if he left Lyon for Tottenham, the player had good reason to believe him. Whatever about trophies, Pochettino’s coaching record gives him credibility. The evidence of Solskjær’s coaching skills is decidedly skimpy in comparison."

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...chester-united-potential-ole-gunnar-solskjaer

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
At the end of March, Ole said we are a "fantastically well run club". Near the end of the season he said we need to be ruthless and some players won't be part of his plans. And a few days ago he said he's happy with how we're doing in the market and that he's got the backing.

If we don't seriously up our game in recruiting quality and address the lack of balance and depth in certain positions, the blame will be on the owners and Woodward, but Ole will look pretty bad too.

Hopefully there is some sort of managerial genius waiting to blossom in him and somehow, all of a sudden, we show real ambition in the next few weeks.

He needs a pre-season and the chance to sell and buy players to get the team he wants, and I think many are on that particular train of suspending judgment. I just don't like many of his contradictory quotes or glowing endorsements of the ownership. It gets me a little worried.
Ole is a yes man and won’t say a bad word against Ed or the Glazers, it’s partly why he got the job.

His speech about wanting players out and some of them playing their last game was nonsense and this pre-season squad shows it.

His interview the other day mentioned he was happy with our transfer business thus far, and we’re looking at 1 or 2 more options. He named a Glazer and Ed as people he was talking to and discussing transfer with. It’s embarrassing.

As long as our fans don’t expect much more than a fleeting fight for top 4 then we’ll be fine. We’re not getting anywhere near the top 2 with this squad of players.

kirk buttercup

Ole may not be the man but a blind man can see he is not getting the players he wants similiar to Mourinho last summer . I'm not saying either are the manager we need but even Michelangelo couldn't sculpt a masterpiece out of a pile of Shite

Roboc7

Solskjær doesnt stand much chance really. He's already being made the fall guy for United's potential failings in the forthcoming season by the "mainstream sports press" and not a ball has been kicked … even in pre-season as yet :keano:

This from today's Guardian back pages:

Manchester United go for potential, but can Solskjær nurture it?
The policy of targeting players with a point to prove is fine provided the club has the right people to guide them

Quote: "This is where Solskjær has to show his worth. Signing talented, conscientious players with plenty to prove is a fine strategy so long as those players are sure to be given the guidance they still need. If Maguire and Wan-Bissaka were signed by Liverpool or Manchester City, then they could be confident that Jürgen Klopp or Pep Guardiola would help them to fulfil their potential within a smartly run collective. When Mauricio Pochettino promised Tanguy Ndombele this summer that he would turn him into a world-class player if he left Lyon for Tottenham, the player had good reason to believe him. Whatever about trophies, Pochettino’s coaching record gives him credibility. The evidence of Solskjær’s coaching skills is decidedly skimpy in comparison."

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...chester-united-potential-ole-gunnar-solskjaer
It’s true though and Pochettino and Klopp have both been given time to rebuild which Ole won’t get unless he finishes in the top 4.
Already feels like it would be a surprise if he was to still be manager beyond this season, just looks too big a job.

The club is still all over the place in the transfer market, it will take years and maybe multiple mangers before this is all turned around.

Lemansky

Ole is a yes man and won’t say a bad word against Ed or the Glazers, it’s partly why he got the job.

His speech about wanting players out and some of them playing their last game was nonsense and this pre-season squad shows it.

His interview the other day mentioned he was happy with our transfer business thus far, and we’re looking at 1 or 2 more options. He named a Glazer and Ed as people he was talking to and discussing transfer with. It’s embarrassing.

As long as our fans don’t expect much more than a fleeting fight for top 4 then we’ll be fine. We’re not getting anywhere near the top 2 with this squad of players.
So many strange posts and criticism her now a days, this post is one of them.

Who should Ole discuss targets and transfers with? You? Me? This forums?

Glazers own the club, Ed is their top man in charge. If discussing transfers and budget they are the ones, and only ones you talk with. Identifying the targets is an other process which Glazers and Ed surely ain’t that involved in.

Jeffthered

Ole may not be the man but a blind man can see he is not getting the players he wants similiar to Mourinho last summer . I'm not saying either are the manager we need but even Michelangelo couldn't sculpt a masterpiece out of a pile of Shite
Some have to question this extremely basic and rather lazy notion of a 'good board gets the players the manager wants..' as there are many, varied reasons why some players will not sign for a club.

Ole looks way out of his 'league' with this job. I hope I am proved wrong, but all this talk about 'some players getting a reality check..' and then doing absolutely nothing to back up such a statement..... the ongoing debacle of our big names, Pogba, Sanchez and Lukaku who no one actually seem to know where some of them are, and none seem to actually want to be at the club. Deal with it. It's hardly a new problem.

Ole strikes me as an average manager who will achieve average results (for a club such as United...) like Moyes, LVG.. He didn't know what he wanted to do with United, was like a kid with an amazing new toy when he started, but now is struggling to show that leadership, direction and authority which is now required.

AdNani

Some have to question this extremely basic and rather lazy notion of a 'good board gets the players the manager wants..' as there are many, varied reasons why some players will not sign for a club.

Ole looks way out of his 'league' with this job. I hope I am proved wrong, but all this talk about 'some players getting a reality check..' and then doing absolutely nothing to back up such a statement..... the ongoing debacle of our big names, Pogba, Sanchez and Lukaku who no one actually seem to know where some of them are, and none seem to actually want to be at the club. Deal with it. It's hardly a new problem.

Ole strikes me as an average manager who will achieve average results (for a club such as United...) like Moyes, LVG.. He didn't know what he wanted to do with United, was like a kid with an amazing new toy when he started, but now is struggling to show that leadership, direction and authority which is now required.
How do you know he’s doing nothing? Why the feck would he give players reality checks in public? In fact why would he do or discuss any part of his job in public?

And how do you know he’s showing no leadership!? In fact all of this is pure speculation. He looks way out of his league, this is down to the poor end to the season last year I presume, completely ignoring his record before that.

We have a month left of the window, you’d think it shut tomorrow

Eric's Seagull

How do you know he’s doing nothing? Why the feck would he give players reality checks in public? In fact why would he do or discuss any part of his job in public?

And how do you know he’s showing no leadership!? In fact all of this is pure speculation. He looks way out of his league, this is down to the poor end to the season last year I presume, completely ignoring his record before that.

Nice to see someone talking sense :)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

This is a bit silly. Regardless of the timing we have seen Mata, Young, Jones sign new deals plus more. We are keeping deadwood that much is clear.
I don't blame Ole, this has been the theme of the club for a number of years.

wolvored

Well said. We can't judge him really until we have played a minimum of 10 games in the premier. In fact I reckon it might take at least half a season to see properly if it is working or not. Imagine if this was 1986 Fergie wouldn't have lasted a season with this lot.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well said. We can't judge him really until we have played a minimum of 10 games in the premier. In fact I reckon it might take at least half a season to see properly if it is working or not. Imagine if this was 1986 Fergie wouldn't have lasted a season with this lot.
I actually agree with you here. Think the good run we had was down to relief. The bad run was tiredness and injuries impacting on the team. The start to the season will show if we now have a pattern of play, if the fitness is now suitable for that pattern of play and if something goes wrong if Ole has the acumen to deal with it. If none of this happens then a decision may need to made. The club knew what Fergie was trying to do and stuck with him. It now depends if the club can see what Ole is trying to do and if they trust him to carry it out. Fergie had the coaching and management background. Ole's is not of the same standard.

Jeffthered

Always useful to post, and observe the nature of the responses. To respond to the issues I originally stated in bold:

Well, you tell me? He makes it very clear, to the media and wider public that 'some players need a reality check..' So why is it not reasonable to assume that he has done nothing about it? He makes it clear what is needed, but nothing seems to happen as a result. That's fact. Look at the results after that comment was made. Did they improve? Any drastic change in anything, playing style, commitment? Perhaps he needs to realise that if you call out players using public platforms, then expect the same to ask whether anything has actually been done to respond to the issues that he raises.

That's the thing about leader's... it isn't a debate whether someone shows leadership, you can see, witness and experience leadership. Sean Dyche shows leadership at his club. Mourinho shows leadership. Fergie showed leadership. Rafa shows leadership. Conte shows leadership. Pep and Klopp clearly show leadership.

And you ask whether Ole does? If you are asking, then you have your answer. That guy has shown no leadership yet. He's just in a job. And I love Ole'.. love the guy.

Yes, he looks way out of his league. And of course I take into account his first round of games, who would not? He came into the role, and responded to an awful playing environment, by clearly liberating the playing staff from a horrible, restraining, anxious environment instilled via Mourinho. This was a natural response.. but what happened after the honeymoon? Nothing. As G Neville stated 'the players have simply downed tools..' And that therefore, is a temporary fix, nothing else. So what does Ole do with these players? He makes statements such as they are 'proud players..' and are 'good lads..' and, in many cases, responds to the same players who clearly just stopped playing for the guy, by extending their contracts.

So now we all wait to see whether he actually has the pedigree to manage the club or not, because as yet, and despite over half a season at the club as manager, many are still unsure whether he can actually do the job.

AshRK

Always useful to post, and observe the nature of the responses. To respond to the issues I originally stated in bold:

Well, you tell me? He makes it very clear, to the media and wider public that 'some players need a reality check..' So why is it not reasonable to assume that he has done nothing about it? He makes it clear what is needed, but nothing seems to happen as a result. That's fact. Look at the results after that comment was made. Did they improve? Any drastic change in anything, playing style, commitment? Perhaps he needs to realise that if you call out players using public platforms, then expect the same to ask whether anything has actually been done to respond to the issues that he raises.

That's the thing about leader's... it isn't a debate whether someone shows leadership, you can see, witness and experience leadership. Sean Dyche shows leadership at his club. Mourinho shows leadership. Fergie showed leadership. Rafa shows leadership. Conte shows leadership. Pep and Klopp clearly show leadership.

And you ask whether Ole does? If you are asking, then you have your answer. That guy has shown no leadership yet. He's just in a job. And I love Ole'.. love the guy.

Yes, he looks way out of his league. And of course I take into account his first round of games, who would not? He came into the role, and responded to an awful playing environment, by clearly liberating the playing staff from a horrible, restraining, anxious environment instilled via Mourinho. This was a natural response.. but what happened after the honeymoon? Nothing. As G Neville stated 'the players have simply downed tools..' And that therefore, is a temporary fix, nothing else. So what does Ole do with these players? He makes statements such as they are 'proud players..' and are 'good lads..' and, in many cases, responds to the same players who clearly just stopped playing for the guy, by extending their contracts.

So now we all wait to see whether he actually has the pedigree to manage the club or not, because as yet, and despite over half a season at the club as manager, many are still unsure whether he can actually do the job.
It's not his job to buy and sell players. The likes of Young, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Darmian and now Mata have been getting contract extension even before Ole came and the trend has continued. For sure not every manager will want these lot to stay. Isn't it the job of Woodward to do a complete clear out. The truth is Woodward has once again failed to do his job and sadly it will be the manager who will be facing the wrath and the sack while Judge and Woodward are here and continue to ruin this beautiful club.

romufc

I fear for Ole. He seems to be a yes man to Ed and that is probably the worst type of manager required at this time.

In his interview, he said he was happy with the window so far? Signing a backup left winger when we have 3?

AWB is the only good business, when we need 4/5 first team players.

Ed knows Ole will not come out like Jose and question the board.

AshRK

I fear for Ole. He seems to be a yes man to Ed and that is probably the worst type of manager required at this time.

In his interview, he said he was happy with the window so far? Signing a backup left winger when we have 3?

AWB is the only good business, when we need 4/5 first team players.

Ed knows Ole will not come out like Jose and question the board.
Jose was the opposite of Ole and how did that end for him and us. Last thing we need is another manager moaning and whining because trust me it will do no good and he will end up leaving while the root problem in Woodward is still here. Trust me nothing will change unless we have a proper structure in place. This club right now has no direction. A director of football was promised and here we are one month before a new season and yet nothing has changed. We were promised a new direction and here we are with the same old crap.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Jose was the opposite of Ole and how did that end for him and us. Last thing we need is another manager moaning and whining because trust me it will do no good and he will end up leaving while the root problem in Woodward is still here. Trust me nothing will change unless we have a proper structure in place. This club right now has no direction. A director of football was promised and here we are one month before a new season and yet nothing has changed. We were promised a new direction and here we are with the same old crap.
Actually, if Ole did kick up a fuss right now - it'd be very difficult for the Glazers / Woodward to do anything other than back him.

After they didn't back Mourinho, and the comical lack of investment that has occurred the last 3 windows, coupled with Ole's status, and the fact they've just given him a 3 year contract for whatever reason, he's surely in prime position to voice any concerns as a manager.

In fact, given his image as 'fan and lover of the club', I actively expect him to speak out if he isn't backed.

romufc

I agree, it is quite annoying tbh that the fans are promised so much yet so little gets delivered. Surely, it cannot take a year to get a DoF. Woodward is a power hogger and knows he will be questioned with a DoF and he cannot have that. He is probably trying to get a DoF who will be a puppy to him and no one is up for that job.

It has been like this for since the Jose Mourinho transfer window where decent signings came. Since then, it has been poor from the top.

Unfortunately, it does not look like it will change anytime soon.

Moonwalker

The much maligned lack of "structure" is Sir Alex's big legacy to United. It means the manager has to have a keen eye for talent, in addition to being a good coach.

It means he has to follow the European market and identify talent from it too. We have no idea if Solksjaer is up for that task. We don't even know if the "domestic" talent he has identified will be good enough.

We also don't know what his preferred style of play is, and already people are projecting their unfettered desires into that one. De Gea needs to be replaced by a modern goalkeeper that uses his feet well. What makes you think Solskjaer wants to play that way? We need players that can press. What makes you think Solskjaer wants to press?

I fear our manager is gonna be a huge disappointment to a lot of our fans in all sorts of ways, in regards to both the necessary and real requirements of his job (which are demanding enough on their own), and the the projected fantasies we've piled on top of that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
In fact, given his image as 'fan and lover of the club', I actively expect him to speak out if he isn't backed.
People keep saying this but why would a guy who basically landed his dream job, despite not having any of the qualifications he needed to get it, and will likely never get a job like this in football again, risk speaking out? He's not stupid.

Rhyme Animal

People keep saying this but why would a guy who basically landed his dream job, despite not having any of the qualifications he needed to get it, and will likely never get a job like this in football again, risk speaking out? He's not stupid.
Then all the stuff about him being 'a fan first and foremost' should be shelved.

If he isn't backed, and is let down by the board - this is the time for him to voice it, right now.

They're not gonna sack him now, and it'll force light onto them.

If he says nothing, keeps grinning and basically goes down the 'yes-man' path, they'll sack him when results go South and he will've lost his moment to voice that he wasn't backed.

lysglimt

Scout
Actually, if Ole did kick up a fuss right now - it'd be very difficult for the Glazers / Woodward to do anything other than back him.

After they didn't back Mourinho, and the comical lack of investment that has occurred the last 3 windows, coupled with Ole's status, and the fact they've just given him a 3 year contract for whatever reason, he's surely in prime position to voice any concerns as a manager.

Just answer me one thing - name one manager who openly spoke out about the board - successfully. For all you know, we might be close to signing a couple of new players, and Ole knows. Or maybe we aren't and Ole has already expressed his concern in a PRIVATE meeting with Woodward. But no good will EVER come out of slaughtering his boss in the media.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Solskjær talks a good talk. But this window is exposing him to be out of his depth.

Talked about deadwood being moved on and rebuild etc. But we’re currently weaker then when he took over.

AdNani

Ah so because ole hasn’t come out and said ‘I’ve gave Rojo, Martial and Lingard a dressing down, they’ve had they’re reality check’ in a press conference, nothing has happened at all, I get you now :wenger:

99% of these things happen behind closed doors. And rightfully so, Mourinho calling out players In the media was embarrassing.

So did Ole lead the team when he won all those games at the start? Or does it only count as a lack of leadership when we lose? And a new manager bump in performance normally lasts 1 or two games. Not 12 or whatever it was

It’s not Ole’s job to sign a player or sell a player. he’s not went and said nah I want to everyone of them, and to sell a player a club needs to be interested, says more about the player in question rather than the club that no fecker wants them

Affirmation

So I have been seeing more rumours of discontent on Twitter apparently regarding the "foreign contingent" at the club and their views on how they are being treated in comparison to the British players. Usually I wouldn't pay much attention to such rumours until there is a bit more validity to them however I do recall Duncan Castles making almost the same claims a couple of months ago or so.

He made a statement similar to the recent rumours that are gaining traction on the "Transfer Window" podcast and that a lot of the players were allegedly "angered" by the generous contracts being given to a lot of the British players that many in the dressing room see as "past their best". This group of players were also concerned about the approach being taken in this Summers Transfer Market and about the overall structure and management at the club. I find it interesting that these newly surfaced claims regarding the same situation line up with what Duncan Castles was also saying so there is a decent chance there is probably some legitimacy to them.

DSG

I’d rather have a manager that takes the high road and saves the internal battles for behind closed doors rather than use the media to scapegoat. Plus, all of that public complaining doesn’t exactly build the confidence of the players on the squad.

It’s the smart play if you are Ole.

AshRK

clarkydaz

Solskjær talks a good talk. But this window is exposing him to be out of his depth.

Talked about deadwood being moved on and rebuild etc. But we’re currently weaker then when he took over.
that highlights it not his decisions then doesn't it?

Rhyme Animal

that highlights it not his decisions then doesn't it?
So why did he say it?

This is just another ploy to literally absolve him of anything, no?

The footy is fecking rubbish - 'it's the players'.

The deadwood are being given fond nicknames and new contracts - 'it's the board'.

Is it literally that anything that goes wrong isn't his fault...? He's the fecking manager ffs, the buck stops with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.