Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Personally I cannot decide if we are stuck with the deadwood due to not being able to find buyers or Ole's lack of ruthlessness with them.
:lol: Yeah i'm sure he wants the likes or Rojo and Darmian hanging around. He's said himself the squad is too big but he's not in charge of selling them.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Possibly. But that would just mean Woodward spending £60m next summer and we then struggle to repeat the feat in 2020/21.

I know its overly negative but for me, the writing is blatantly on the wall for this club - if we get top 4, a lack of investment will mean we struggle to get it the following season, and the cycle will just repeat itself but with a different manager at the helm every two seasons.
The summer of 2015 for LVG and Mourinho's of 18 should concern all of us. The slightest hint of being back on track and Woody pulls the funds.

AR87

The summer of 2015 for LVG and Mourinho's of 18 should concern all of us. The slightest hint of being back on track and Woody pulls the funds.
What funds did he pull in 2015? He bought Depay, Martial, Darmian, Schweinsteiger,and Schneiderlin.

The only time Woody hasn't backed the manager was last summer when Mourinho wanted to make his big move by mortgaging the future for the likes of William and when he was being quoted £60m for 29 year old Alderweireld. Even then it's been widely rumored we had a £100m bid knocked back for Koulibaly.

VanGaalyTime

What funds did he pull in 2015? He bought Depay, Martial, Darmian, Schweinsteiger,and Schneiderlin.

The only time Woody hasn't backed the manager was last summer when Mourinho wanted to make his big move by mortgaging the future for the likes of William and when he was being quoted £60m for 29 year old Alderweireld. Even then it's been widely rumored we had a £100m bid knocked back for Koulibaly.
I believe we only spent 40 net that summer due to sale of Adm. So it's another year and reason we're behind the rest. We need to invest 200m now per year to get back to the top.

AR87

I believe we only spent 40 net that summer due to sale of Adm. So it's another year and reason we're behind the rest. We need to invest 200m now per year to get back to the top.
Woodward didn't want to sell ADM but did so because there was no reconciling the differences between the two. He ultimately agreed a deal that cost more for Martial to replace him, even if the up front fee was less. At the time LvG wasn't moaning about lack of investment, so I don't see how that can possible be an example of Woodward tightening the purse strings once top-4 was secure.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The most important job for Ole here and now is to get a tune out of the players at his disposal, whether he thinks they're brilliant or he's stuck with them to various degrees.

We won't magically transform into a top team by getting rid of every single player random fans on the Internet consider deadwood, and replacing them with players the same random fans consider the dog's bollocks at the moment.

I agree with those who are a bit skeptical about going into the season with only AWB and James as outright reinforcements, but the window hasn't closed yet.

And the selling window is open for another month. We could ship out several players, and bring in a couple more, that is by no means unlikely.

We also have a handful of very promising young lads on our books, players the manager is clearly willing to give a proper chance to take further steps.

izzydiggler

The most important job for Ole here and now is to get a tune out of the players at his disposal, whether he thinks they're brilliant or he's stuck with them to various degrees.

We won't magically transform into a top team by getting rid of every single player random fans on the Internet consider deadwood, and replacing them with players the same random fans consider the dog's bollocks at the moment.

I agree with those who are a bit skeptical about going into the season with only AWB and James as outright reinforcements, but the window hasn't closed yet.

And the selling window is open for another month. We could ship out several players, and bring in a couple more, that is by no means unlikely.

We also have a handful of very promising young lads on our books, players the manager is clearly willing to give a proper chance to take further steps.
It’s the same post we’ve been reading for years now, just with different managers. Go from ‘war chest’ and ‘rebuilds’ at the beginning of the summer to the hope that players who’ve continually failed will magically come good and that we miraculously have a crop of youngsters that make the grade together with the collective “well it might be better, let’s just see”. I’m not even angry, it’s just the same cycle that will likely result in failure and disappointment.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Im sorry, talk is cheap.

Let's see this set of wasters and underachievers actually walk the walk in a few weeks time. We've got two extremely difficult games to start the season - if we take 4-6pts from those two games, I'll sit up and take notice. For now, I'm expecting a point from Chelsea at home and losing comfortably to Wolves away. Santo seems to have our number.
Agreed on all points.
We had relegation form, after the PSG match, last season and we were unable to snap out of that form. Until I see something on the pitch I won't believe the "talk".

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It’s the same post we’ve been reading for years now, just with different managers. Go from ‘war chest’ and ‘rebuilds’ at the beginning of the summer to the hope that players who’ve continually failed will magically come good and that we miraculously have a crop of youngsters that make the grade together with the collective “well it might be better, let’s just see”. I’m not even angry, it’s just the same cycle that will likely result in failure and disappointment.
You're certainly not alone, most of our fans are miserable gits.

Not without reason, of course, but personally I don't see any sense (beyond a desire to moan as much as possible) in wallowing in doom and gloom before a ball has been kicked.

AJ10

What are you on about?

LVG spent over 200 mil and Jose nearly double that. It was only last summer where Jose wanted 30 year olds who cost 60+ mil that we didn't spend.

overtheborder

I don't think ANY manager gets 2 seasons without progress anymore, but I have faith that we will see forward movement under Ole.

The fact he's recognised we need to press higher and run harder is music to our ears, we just need the right players to do it now.
I think this is a problem in football - you think back to any successful manager over a period of time, it takes time for them to start to win anything unless they're building on a previous period of success. It takes time to build a culture sometimes - get your person in and back him, you wouldn't treat an employee like this in business, you'd try to help them improve.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think this is a problem in football - you think back to any successful manager over a period of time, it takes time for them to start to win anything unless they're building on a previous period of success. It takes time to build a culture sometimes - get your person in and back him, you wouldn't treat an employee like this in business, you'd try to help them improve.
I think you have to be showing signs of change / improvement for people to stay patient.

Klopp/Guardiola both showed they were moving forward even though they didn't get results in their first year, so they never lost the fanbase.

Compare that to LVG/Moyes/Jose and they never progressed. Yes perhaps they could have been backed better but each of them made mistakes which cost them their jobs.

I hope Ole and the coaches can show us enough this year to buy him time to build. I'd take top 4 with some high press football.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I still think we arent getting top 6.

Said it from the start but Ole is just a yes man. He's a puppet for the glazers and woodward.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I still think we arent getting top 6.

Said it from the start but Ole is just a yes man. He's a puppet for the glazers and woodward.
I can clearly see why Ole was appointed now. Literally no top coach in the world would accept the absolute shambles that has been this transfer window.

Ole wasn’t even being targeted by a championship team and is just happy to be here. He isn’t going to rock the apple cart at all.

Snuffkin

He will do as good a job as anybody at getting the best out of the players he has. He will smile through everything. Yes, that is good for the Glazers, but it may prove to be the best bet for the club during these difficult times. There must have been times when Fergie was frustrated but he backed the Glazers again and again. Ole will do the same. A lot rests on the young players coming through.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Ole is 7/4 to be United manager for the last game of the season. That is just crazy but not sure whether it says more about United or Ole at the moment

croadyman

I find it utterly ridiculous that Ole is expected to work miracles with this squad just to save these yankee leeches and their puppets arses.

I fear this experience will take a serious toll on him in the end and he may not last the duration of his contract.

Greck

I find it utterly ridiculous that Ole is expected to work miracles with this squad just to save these yankee leeches and their puppets arses.

I fear this experience will take a serious toll on him in the end and he may not last the duration of his contract.
The bar of expectation is set low enough that he'll have to bear some responsibility if he fails. I mean I can't remember anytime before the start of a season where the fanbase has ever unanimously agreed on fourth position being the goal

DoomSlayer

The bar of expectation is set low enough that he'll have to bear some responsibility if he fails. I mean I can't remember anytime before the start of a season where the fanbase has ever unanimously agreed on fourth position being the goal
Really? What about Mourinho's first season and how apparently it was a success because of the trophies, despite us comfortably finishing 6th?

Ole has clearly stated we will be fighting not just for top 4, but for any cup competition we are competing in. This is his expectation so I'm sure he won't be happy himself if we do not perform again in the upcoming season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Really? What about Mourinho's first season and how apparently it was a success because of the trophies, despite us comfortably finishing 6th?

Ole has clearly stated we will be fighting not just for top 4, but for any cup competition we are competing in. This is his expectation so I'm sure he won't be happy himself if we do not perform again in the upcoming season.
'Clearly stating', and actually winning are very different things...

Mourinho won a European Cup and the League Cup in 1 season - if Ole does the same he will receive even more praise than Mourinho did.

RedTiger

Half mast
Im sorry, talk is cheap.

Let's see this set of wasters and underachievers actually walk the walk in a few weeks time. We've got two extremely difficult games to start the season - if we take 4-6pts from those two games, I'll sit up and take notice. For now, I'm expecting a point from Chelsea at home and losing comfortably to Wolves away. Santo seems to have our number.
We'll make top three.

francobaresi

He won't last the duration of the season, let alone his contract

DoomSlayer

'Clearly stating', and actually winning are very different things...

Mourinho won a European Cup and the League Cup in 1 season - if Ole does the same he will receive even more praise than Mourinho did.
Why not, everything is possible and I prefer to believe in Ole, to be positive at least before we see 10-15 games of the actual season. If I'm not, what's the point in even following the club since the future is inevitably bad? Just to moan and be negative?

Denis79

Ole is 7/4 to be United manager for the last game of the season. That is just crazy but not sure whether it says more about United or Ole at the moment
Says more about how the club operates, They'll demand top 4 this season, backing Ole in the transfer market or not and the league is tough. Winners and runner-ups of both European cups + City to deal with.

DoomSlayer

Says more about how the club operates, They'll demand top 4 this season, backing Ole in the transfer market or not and the league is tough. Winners and runner-ups of both European cups + City to deal with.
At least Ole is not shying away like Mourinho and being a twat about how difficult the job is. Actually loves the club and would rather risk his career for it instead of self-destructing like Jose who wanted to prove a point last season about the "eritage".

If Solskjaer fails, he'd be able to go out with his head held high as he has conducted himself like a proper Manchester United manager.

Last edited:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
At least Ole is not shying away like Mourinho and being a twat about how difficult the job is. Actually loves the club and would rather risk his career for it instead of self-destructing like Jose who wanted to prove a point last season about the " 'eritage".

If Solskjaer fails, he'd be able to go out with his head held high as he has conducted himself like a proper Manchester United manager.
Which is why I believe he'll be successful.

People are whinging about a lack of technical director, but It seems United are turning Ole into a SAF clone re management.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Who do you think would overtake United in that scenario?

1. City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Chelsea
5. Wolves
6. A surprise team maybe Everton or similar

7/8. between us and arsenal.

That’s providing we don’t make anymore signings.

Revaulx

That’s all very well, but we’ve also continually failed to see any improvement in our football and results brought about from the huge number of players we have in fact signed. How much of that is the manager’s fault is open to debate, but simply believing that replacing existing players will render any sort of improvement hasn’t worked so far.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
1. City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Chelsea
5. Wolves
6. A surprise team maybe Everton or similar

7/8. between us and arsenal.

That’s providing we don’t make anymore signings.
I would have believed some of the message you were saying but Chelsea 4th? :lol: They’re lucky to finish 8th this season.

Hawks2008

I can clearly see why Ole was appointed now. Literally no top coach in the world would accept the absolute shambles that has been this transfer window.

Ole wasn’t even being targeted by a championship team and is just happy to be here. He isn’t going to rock the apple cart at all.
It's simple, Woodward appointed him off the back of the purple patch run thinking they had struck gold finding a guy who is turning our wasters into stars and he will come cheap. He's penny pinching in the market and not selling the dross who would cost money to replace because he needs Ole to be a miracle worker. He's taking Ole and the fans for a ride yet again.

matsdf

And yet Unai Emery is managing Arsenal, whose 10 times worse of than us transfer wise. Oh, I almost forgot Chelsea sold their best player, and is unable to replace him since they have a transfer ban... Stop with the nonsense.

Eddy_JukeZ

I've grown a bit more optimistic regarding our season.

I do like our improved pressing during pre-season. I hope it continues.

hocane

Ed failed him, i think he is doomed to fail and it's not his fault.

Squad is simply not good enough. They've showed that time and time again.

Definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over expecting a different result.

Denis79

At least Ole is not shying away like Mourinho and being a twat about how difficult the job is. Actually loves the club and would rather risk his career for it instead of self-destructing like Jose who wanted to prove a point last season about the "eritage".

Thing is he shouldn't be going anywhere even if we finish 5th or 6th. So far he's not been backed by the board, expectations should mirror that.

AshRK

Refreshing to see such play rather than hopeless hoofballs. Hopefully it is not an one off but becomes a norm.

Greck

Refreshing to see such play rather than hopeless hoofballs. Hopefully it is not an one off but becomes a norm.
Building up with a measured approach is all many wanted to see. It doesn't even have to yield results in the first year. The players still mess up passes like Dalot did in the clip and there's still the tendency of certain players to stupidly force direct passes or shoot whenever in doubt. They need to improve or be phased out of the first 11. Have always liked 'Jessparagus' Lingard but he can't play Number 10 with that final ball. At least Beans makes up for his moments with attacking talent

Greck

at least some are realizing how poorly the board has backed Ole.

The business should all have been conducted way before this. We are two weeks away from our first match and we don't have a proper midfield.

Ridiculous.
Havent been paying attention recently so mind my ignorance but what midfield signing is Ole being denied?

Status
Not open for further replies.