Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
the "yes man" argument is ridiculous. Mourinho got crucified for being super-negative all the time and rightfully so. Ole is obviously a completely different character and much more positive, isn't that a good thing? Calling him a "yes man" seems a bit unfair.

It hasn't been the window we had hoped for and I'm sure he feels the same way. But heck, it's been a really good tour nevertheless and several young players have shown a lot of promise. I don't understand why people are ready to throw him under the bus because of that.
Anyone calling Ole a 'yes man' is fecking clueless. Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that.

red4ever 79

He is no1 favourite for sack next season. Why? What bookies know and we don't?:nervous:
I mean, despite what we fans think about him, board just hired him and we are not a club who sack managers early. We always wait long enough.
Really strange that he is 6/1

Serious? I would say he is one of the favourites to be sacked first. Lack of experience with a big club. Very poor last two months of the previous season. No improvement on the first team (exception of a RB) I would assume Aug, Sept and Oct are critical for Ole.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I absolutely agree that there’s reason to be skeptical. My dismissive tone is mainly reserved for those who feel comfortable insisting he’s a yes man, or out of his depth. People insisting he’ll be a success are rare, so not really getting worked up about that.

I don’t know about you, but to me this forum has been this way for a while now. Some portion of posters fill in blanks with negativity, and in the summer there’s a lot more variables up in the air, so people can run with it wherever they like. Surprise, surprise, a big portion of our fanbase are spoiled and are big on doom and gloom.

For anybody slow on the uptake; I’m not equating skepticism with being spoiled. I’m hopeful but not convinced about Ole lasting at the club as a manager.
I dunno, almost a decade ago I was complaining about complainers* because the most prominent opinions I was picking up on at that point were complaining about much of the same stuff: Michael Owen was the tragic signing, O'Shea was the despised deadwood, Mike Phelan was the tactically inept yes man (because of course Sir Alex was beyond reproach). That was off the back of a season where we got Champions League final for christ's sake! It's all relative so maybe there was significantly less moaning then, and it just felt more jarring because it flew in the face of us experiencing one of the finest moments in the club's history. But I don't remember there being a shortage of it!

However yeah, it does feel like the tone has gotten a lot darker. Which I just find really puzzling. I get why people are upset watching such poor runs of form, and I understand that people are so emotionally attached to transfer gossip. But for people to be as consistently negative here as they seem to be, what are they like when it comes to real life issues? Is this just a place to channel the anger from other parts of their life, or do people really choose to add so much stress, sadness and anger on top of their real life all because of footy? Surely having such a dark perspective on anything in life only drags down your experience of the rest of the world?

*we all complain about something, right

rotherham_red

My issue with Ole', is that it seems that he isn't quite clear about what he really plans to do. Does he really want to change the squad? It doesn't seem so to me... just working with players, saying they need to be fitter etc isn't really setting any plans out at all. It's ambiguous, without direction and this encourages a sense of enquiry... '.what is he doing, what is his vision.. is he happy with what he has at his disposal.. is he going to change it.. what is satisfactory to him...'

I haven't a clue what Ole really thinks about any of those questions.

I knew under SAF (and I am old enough to recall his early days at the club. SAF was clear he had to change a club culture, and bring through youth..) I also knew what LVG wanted to do. I knew what Jose wanted to do. Both of their respective plans and approaches were inappropriate in the end, but you could not argue whether you knew where these guys were coming from.

Now look at Ole? What is he doing? Is he confident? And if he isn't showing this, with absolute authority and clarity (compare to Klopp, Pep, Pochetino, Benitez, Dyche, Nuno Santo etc etc..) , then do you doubt whether the players also recognise this?

The only manager I can compare this appointment to in many ways, is David Moyes. Nuff said really.

(and as I have stated, on many occasions..I absolutely love Ole.. love the guy.. but it's not about that. This is about managing arguably the biggest club in the world..)
You knew what Jose wanted to do? Really? Cos from my vantage point in the South Stand it increasingly looked like he hadn't a clue, and the players looked like strangers to each other every week.

For what its worth, I think it's very clear what Ole's setting out to achieve with this team: a high energy, high pressing team who have a clear emphasis on possession and when necessary, can break on teams with extreme pace.

He's obviously hamstrung by a board who haven't backed him anywhere near to the extent that they needed to. He saw what Jose's scorched earth policy did to the team, the club and the fans, and with that in mind has kept his counsel. Surely that is a positive, as opposed to a negative? Look at the encouraging performances from the kids on the tour, and compare it to what it was like this time last year with those very same kids. Would he want significant purchases in? Of course he would, but if the board aren't going to give it to them, then he has to make best with what he has. If a CB doesn't come in? Then the positive is that Axel gets more of a chance. If a CM or two doesn't come in? Then McTominay, Pereira, and Gomes get their chances to establish themselves in the team.

I would take so much more pleasure out of the kids establishing themselves than multi-million pound purchases who have rarely worked out for us in the post-SAF era.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
But...but... He's smiling and looks happy!!
Must be yes man. :lol:
I get a good laugh out of it I must admit. :lol:

Imagine trying to say that a club legend who gave everything for this club and has a deep connection to our fanbase just sits there and nods at everything the Glazers/Woodward tell him. :houllier: He wants United to succeed as much as we do. Phelan too who I doubt would've taken the assistant manager role on a permanent basis if he was just to be another 'yes man'

Alabaster Codify7

”All down hill from here” aren't you a happy bloke. Ole has played for United, under Ferguson. I am pretty sure he knows what United need to be at for level. Now I’m not happy with the window so far but quit ripping into Ole like he is to blame. What do you want him to say to fans, to media?

All downhill for Ole. Pray tell me, what better job would he get after leaving United?

The only bigger managerial jobs are Madrid and Barca and I dont see either of them offering a job to Ole. Not to mention, United is HIS club - he bleeds the club. This is his holy grail. He'll say and do anything to keep hold of it.

USREDEVIL

So far we've done well in pre-season at least. Ole apparently working them hard, which is good, and the only one not doing their jobs fully seems to be Ed and his cronies, although we don't know what's cooking in the background. But if we only sign AWB and James, that's a really bad window considering the state of the club.

TRUERED89

”All down hill from here” aren't you a happy bloke. Ole has played for United, under Ferguson. I am pretty sure he knows what United need to be at for level. Now I’m not happy with the window so far but quit ripping into Ole like he is to blame. What do you want him to say to fans, to media?
I don't understand what you mean by these questions. Is he confident? does he have clarity? No manager has the need or requirement to come out and explain his tactics in detail to everyone and I don't think I've seen other managers come out and do it for no reason. What they have to do is show it on the pitch. And you know what, he has done it on the pitch quite cleary during this preseason and when he first came in before the whole midfield and attack got injured as they couldn't handle what Ole wanted to do due to their fitness level. It's quite clear he wants to play a much more proactive game with high pressing from the front and a fluid 4-2-3-1/4-2-1-3. For this, obviously, you will struggle without an exceptional level of fitness as we saw with Klopp's first couple of season and with ourselves during the end of last season. Thus, Ole saying his first priority is to get the team fit is actually quite a clear indication of his gameplan and clarity of his idea. Actually its much more clear than Jose, LVG, Moyes, and dare I say SAF in his final 2-3 seasons.

"is he happy with what he has at his disposal.. is he going to change it.. what is satisfactory to him..." regarding these questions, obviously Ole won't come out and say that the players that he has are not good enough even if it might be the case. Normally you would never see that from a manager who wants to keep the team happy and morale high. We saw what happened when Jose did that during last season and also during his second stint at Chelsea.

Obviously, it's on the players as well to carry on his plan consistently. But from my pov, I'm quietly optimistic about the coming season from what I've seen from Ole both in terms of his playing style and also seeing his attempt to integrate more academy players in the first team.
Great post, I really hope Ole gets atleast 1 more signing though, preferably in MF..

Irwin99

He is no1 favourite for sack next season. Why? What bookies know and we don't?:nervous:
I mean, despite what we fans think about him, board just hired him and we are not a club who sack managers early. We always wait long enough.
Really strange that he is 6/1
That's actually surprising even after what we saw towards the end of last season. Things is, if this goes wrong then there's no one I can think of that would come in and take this job right now. Also, there's no way that any United fan turns on Ole at the stadium or even around the club. The blame goes on the owners and Ed and there's no excuses for them to hide behind this time ( its the manager's fault because LVG was a dinosaur, Jose was boring etc.) . Hiring a legend like Ole might actually be the thing that ignites protest against them.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I get a good laugh out of it I must admit. :lol:

Imagine trying to say that a club legend who gave everything for this club and has a deep connection to our fanbase just sits there and nods at everything the Glazers/Woodward tell him. :houllier: He wants United to succeed as much as we do. Phelan too who I doubt would've taken the assistant manager role on a permanent basis if he was just to be another 'yes man'
Ole knows as as well as the rest of us, who's underperforming, or not good enough.
He will play the kids if they are better during pre-season or in training. He also loves to play fm and watches a lot of football, so his knowledge about talents are atleast on par with most Caftards.

But obviously noone here believe that, he's just a yes man with no clue what he's doing.

Oh and btw, only what he did at Cardiff counts, winning another league, or doing well in Europe with a weaker team, is irrelevant, because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Infestissumam

All downhill for Ole. Pray tell me, what better job would he get after leaving United?

The only bigger managerial jobs are Madrid and Barca and I dont see either of them offering a job to Ole. Not to mention, United is HIS club - he bleeds the club. This is his holy grail. He'll say and do anything to keep hold of it.
and you think he feels he has to make a happy face during preseason press conferences to keep his job? Before the season has even begun? Oh please. The tour has been going as well as anybody could have hoped for (minus the Bailly injury), but we've won all the games, played nice football and saw academy products have an impact. I know it's all doom and gloom these days for some people, but come on now.

Gasolin

Have you seen anything in the football on the pitch that makes you think that Ole is not doing his job according to a clear plan? For me, I like what I see, and I like the fact that the 20 min in the 2nd half against Spurs was seen as a negative because that was not the plan, while it seems to be "the plan" for Jose. And I don't know if you guys noticed but when going for the 2nd goal, there was a simple pass phase where we got corned on the touch line, and someone has the lucidity to pass above Spurs to jump the pressure, to Axel, who can then move up to Fred and so on, and then we shift to Dalot on the right. Ball comes back in the middle and misses everyone but Gomes takes it back, and the goal happens.

For me that moment of lucidity, when done with confidence, is what allows us and is going to allow us to escape intense pressure from opponent teams, these are things that need to be trained for so that players don't panic. So he is doing something right. We have to hope the players fully get on board with it.

Gasolin

Ole knows as as well as the rest of us, who's underperforming, or not good enough.
He will play the kids if they are better during pre-season or in training. He also loves to play fm and watches a lot of football, so his knowledge about talents are atleast on par with most Caftards.

But obviously noone here believe that, he's just a yes man with no clue what he's doing.

Oh and btw, only what he did at Cardiff counts, winning another league, or doing well in Europe with a weaker team, is irrelevant, because it doesn't fit their agenda.
They would see so much more when they read all the analysis everyone has done of his Molde team. There are fantastic notes about how he improved some of their strikers who was in a slump in his previous team, this is so much on point for Martial and Rashford... and is going to be key for Greenwood, and even Gomes and co. I am hopeful Ole can show what this is all about. Players may laugh at his managerial experience (not even sure about that part), but cannot laugh at his obvious knowledge of what to do with the ball and the space, the defensive work, the offensive ideas, and how to provoke a goal, which is the f***** ultimate goal of any team.

Alabaster Codify7

Have you seen anything in the football on the pitch that makes you think that Ole is not doing his job according to a clear plan? For me, I like what I see, and I like the fact that the 20 min in the 2nd half against Spurs was seen as a negative because that was not the plan, while it seems to be "the plan" for Jose. And I don't know if you guys noticed but when going for the 2nd goal, there was a simple pass phase where we got corned on the touch line, and someone has the lucidity to pass above Spurs to jump the pressure, to Axel, who can then move up to Fred and so on, and then we shift to Dalot on the right. Ball comes back in the middle and misses everyone but Gomes takes it back, and the goal happens.

For me that moment of lucidity, when done with confidence, is what allows us and is going to allow us to escape intense pressure from opponent teams, these are things that need to be trained for so that players don't panic. So he is doing something right. We have to hope the players fully get on board with it.

I don't and never have taken a single thing from any single pre-season we've ever had, because it means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

If we continue that form when the real stuff begins, i'll take real notice.

Grylte

They would see so much more when they read all the analysis everyone has done of his Molde team. There are fantastic notes about how he improved some of their strikers who was in a slump in his previous team, this is so much on point for Martial and Rashford... and is going to be key for Greenwood, and even Gomes and co. I am hopeful Ole can show what this is all about. Players may laugh at his managerial experience (not even sure about that part), but cannot laugh at his obvious knowledge of what to do with the ball and the space, the defensive work, the offensive ideas, and how to provoke a goal, which is the f***** ultimate goal of any team.
He was the one who let Braut Haaland, Alfie's son who we were linked to last year, get his debut at the age of 16, still they don't think he will let the kids get the chance, and keep using underperforming Matic etc.

Infestissumam

I don't and never have taken a single thing from any single pre-season we've ever had, because it means nothing. Absolutely nothing.
oh, I would strongly disagree with that. Last year's preseason was the beginning of the downfall, obviously players didn't have to work as hard and it showed later in the season. Plus Mourinhos negativity pretty much snowballed from then. This preseason tour has been pretty much the opposite. The results don't really matter but the training and the mood within the squad certainly do.

Gasolin

If we continue that form when the real stuff begins, i'll take real notice.
I agree for preseason never being that critical, but then why are we so negative about him? He's implementing the right ideas.

Raven

This squad will walk into the top 4 under Ole. If we get another CB, it will just make it easier.

Grylte

Like they did last year?
Was only beaten by Pool and City on points after he took over, and started 11 points behind top 4, but guess that is irrellevant?

Lemansky

This squad will walk into the top 4 under Ole. If we get another CB, it will just make it easier.
Gonna be a great season this. Really looking forward to it. A couple of players more in and it can be very surprising to many.

Treble

The important and really revealing thing about Ole will be the style of playing. If the team has an identity, he knows what he is doing. If come October the team lacks a recognisable style, he hasn't a clear plan or doesn't know how to implement it.

Raven

Walk? You rate Ole quite highly, hopefully rightly so.
I mean we walked into second the previous season when the manager wasn't sabotaging the team. I see absolutely no reason, especially with the current state of Arsenal and Chelsea, that we shouldn't be comfortably top 4, and be challenging Spurs for 3rd.

clarkydaz

im not so sure they would be quick to sack him. The fans wont demand his head last the last 2 guys with tragic football to watch, and more importantly, they wont have a clue what to do after Ole.

Raven

It seems we're the only ones who believe this bro
Gonna be a great season this. Really looking forward to it. A couple of players more in and it can be very surprising to many.
I'm delighted to see there are a couple more optimists(realists?) on here, I'm very excited to see the lads in action in the league, I think we'll be quite a surprise to most fans.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Have to say all this talk of Ole being a yes man is utter utter revisionist sentimental clap trap. Unless he owns the club (which he doesn't) he will always be a yes man. That's how the working world works, Unless you are THE Boss then we all work for a boss and we all have to toe the company. In the working world, it's either like it, accept it, find a compromise or FRO!!!! In as much as we want somebody to come out and slate the glazers for lack of investment, it isn't going to happen. I personally think that Ole is getting a rough ride from some in this thread The club sign players and they get derided for not playing youngsters. If they don't sign players then Ole is a patsty towing the company line and not giving youth a chance while we have to accommodate the likes of Sanchez.

What will be the undoing of Ole is not the medium to long term vision or progress towards it. it will be the short term expectation from fans that will be his downfall. Some on here are literally waiting for the guy to fail. For what, and who do you bring in. Anybody with half a brain could see the issues at the back end of last season, simply not fit enough to do the job he wanted them to do. Anyone with half a brain can also see the style of play that Ole is trying to create. All those saying Ole is unsure about what kind of football he wants to play to justify their argument that Ole is not upto the job, again nonsense. His style of play will be

- High press when we need to (All the tour).
- Box them in their own half from throw in's and dead balls (all the tour).
- Have possession when we need to draw the opposition out ( Tottenham first half),
- Counter-attack with pace and in numbers (all tour, last seen under Fergie).
- Keep an intense press against good opposition when making substitutions (Inter)
- Players buying into a shared ethos and standing up for themselves and team mates on the pitch (McTominay, Andreas Spurs)

Given half a chance, Ole will do well. Looking back at the Liverpool pre season game last year. Flat, no energy 11 players who could not string together 2 to 3 passes, a toxic manager in the press and a toxic manager in the dressing room. Fast forward 12 months and there is major progress with players who look like they give a **** and are pulling in the same direction.

reddevil702

Toxicity around the club seems to be gone, squad cohesion and moral seem high. We have a manager who shows faith in his players and seem to be settling on a style of play. It's not just about summer signings, we have an academy that can produce the talent. It may not deliver instant success, but it something as fans we should all be able to get behind. The amount of negativity around a manager who truly cares about the club is incredible.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The important and really revealing thing about Ole will be the style of playing. If the team has an identity, he knows what he is doing. If come October the team lacks a recognisable style, he hasn't a clear plan or doesn't know how to implement it.
Or he like many managers, including the best in our history, doesn't subscribe to a single style of football and takes a more pragmatic approach with the resources available. Just because it's currently fashionable for top managers to be prescriptive doesn't mean it's the best way to do it in all scenarios.

AshRK

I actually applaud Ole for creating a positive atmosphere within the club and the fans instead of moaning and whining. He has got an absolute raw deal and yet he has somehow taken up the challenge and trying to get fans excited. All this nonsene of standing up to the board would have done nothing but create unnecessary headlines. Press have been trying their best to create some rift. 2 weeks ago we saw couple of the journos creating a british v. non british crap but now we are hearing some good news of how players are buying into his tactics and how he is keeping everyone motivated. Good stuff.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
I like this Olé era.

I mean if I were the United chief executive and it was my payslip on the line, I’d have made the decision to hire Pochettino in less than a second.

But as a fan, it’s fun. We’re unpredictable, we’re trying to play the right way, we’re giving minutes to players from the youth team, we’re managed by an indisputable club legend.

Olé! Olé! Olé!

Treble

Or he like many managers, including the best in our history, doesn't subscribe to a single style of football and takes a more pragmatic approach with the resources available. Just because it's currently fashionable for top managers to be prescriptive doesn't mean it's the best way to do it in all scenarios.
Think Ole's aim is to build a team that can compete for the title in a year or two and not merely for top 4. Against Guardiola and Klopp a pragmatic approach won't take you far, unless you have exceptional players like Ronaldo or Messi. From the noises Ole and the players make my impression is that his tactical ideas aren't close to Mourinho's, Simeone's or Alegri's pragmatic approaches. My take is that if come October the team lacks a recognisable style, Ole won't be a United manager next summer.

Rish Sawhney

Think Ole's aim is to build a team that can compete for the title in a year or two and not merely for top 4. Against Guardiola and Klopp a pragmatic approach won't take you far, unless you have exceptional players like Ronaldo or Messi. From the noises Ole and the players make my impression is that his tactical ideas aren't close to Mourinho's, Simeone's or Alegri's pragmatic approaches. My take is that if come October the team lacks a recognisable style, Ole won't be a United manager next summer.
I can guarantee you Ole would be the manager next year even if he finishes 10th. And that’s a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.