Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treble

I can guarantee you Ole would be the manager next year even if he finishes 10th. And that’s a good thing.
I guarantee you that's not true. And it's a good thing. Insisting on a wrong manager for sentimental reasons would be stupid.

Wolff

Was only beaten by Pool and City on points after he took over, and started 11 points behind top 4, but guess that is irrellevant?
Seems like it. Much more fun moaning rather than look at what can be done, and how long it takes to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rish Sawhney

I guarantee you that's not true. And it's a good thing. Insisting on a wrong manager for sentimental reasons would be stupid.
Thinking that the right manager cannot have a poor season is what’s stopping us from finding the right manager in the first place.

If at any point in the future we have a successful manager over any length of time he would have had to endure a few poor mid table seasons. And if he never survives them we’ll never have a successful period ever again.

Treble

Thinking that the right manager cannot have a poor season is what’s stopping us from finding the right manager in the first place.
Depends on the context. Ole hasn't had much success previously and it would be an act of blind faith to stick with him. Fergie did wonders with Aberdeen, the situation was quite different. Real change managers often and are hugely successful.

Rish Sawhney

Depends on the context. Ole hasn't had much success previously and it would be an act of blind faith to stick with him. Fergie did wonders with Aberdeen, the situation was quite different. Real change managers often and are hugely successful.
We’re not Real though are we? And I really don’t want us to be. Success is not a goal unto itself and if you sacrifice your principles and identity chasing success you’ll end up with neither. And that’s what’s been happening ever since SAF retired.

Treble

We’re not Real though are we? And I really don’t want us to be. Success is not a goal unto itself and if you sacrifice your principles and identity chasing success you’ll end up with neither. And that’s what’s been happening ever since SAF retired.
Maybe a major reason why Liverpool have gone 30 years without a league title is that they were a bit too patient with some managers. I understand your reasoning and I don't say that it is wrong but we must avoid Liverpool's mistakes from the 90's which seriously hurt them. To stick with a proven manager is one thing, to do it with an unproven is quite risky. But it's a bit academic at this point as Ole might be successful already this season.

Rish Sawhney

Maybe a major reason why Liverpool have gone 30 years without a league title is that they were a bit too patient with some managers. I understand your reasoning and I don't say that it is wrong but we must avoid Liverpool's mistakes from the 90's which seriously hurt them. To stick with a proven manager is one thing, to do it with an unproven is quite risky. But it's a bit academic at this point as Ole might be successful already this season.
Again why is our motivation to not go 30 years without a title like Liverpool? Thats the incorrect thing to focus on and that is what's made us make bad decisions regarding managers and recruitment. Why not just try to have a long term plan with a manager that the board and fans back for a good 5-6 years regardless of results if the style and philosophy are a fit for the club? Ok maybe we'll have a few seasons in irrelevance, but if its fun to watch the games and it is entertaining for the fans I think success will come eventually.

People care too much about not being Liverpool or the banter they'd get from other fans instead of focusing on our own club's development. I'll just take watching United not feel like a chose again and start looking forward to games.

mancave bear

No. The biggest mistakes, which we have been making over and over again since SAF retired, is not to give the manager enough time and proper backing in the transfer market. And when the board has gotten a new manager, they have always chosen one who has a different playing style than the former manager.

If we had a sporting director and a certain playing style that was part of our brand (like Barcelona and Tiki Taka), at least the new manager could build on what the former manager (s) had been doing. Instead our manager now has players from four different managers with different styles, which does not always fit our current playing style (like Matic, Mata and Lukaku).

So whats important for the club now is to:
1. Give the manager the players he needs.
2. Give the manager time to build and develop the team. (It will take one or two more seasons to get into the condition that Liverpool and City have, so we can run / move like they do).
3. If we get a new manager, it should be one with the same playing style as we try to develop now.

And Yes, I am really looking forward to this season. I love the way the manager wants us to play, but we have to get those signings :)

Last edited:

mancave bear

Ole had great success as a player, making the most out of his abilties. He have allso been successful coaching the United recruts, and building a number one team in Norways top league. Cardif was a disaster even before he joined the club, and gave him important experience.

So far Ole have handled our super stars great (like Pogba and Lukaku), seeming to be much better at handling modern footballplayers than some of our former managers.

Real spend huge amounts of money, and have been hugely successful so far. Dont now about this season?

Last edited:

The_Midfielder

I think he is screwed.. no signings bar a rb, and having the same players as last season.. I dont see how he will last beyond christmas..Woodward failed him.. simple ...

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I think he is screwed.. no signings bar a rb, and having the same players as last season.. I dont see how he will last beyond christmas..Woodward failed him.. simple ...
Woodward and the Glazers are failing everybody associated with the club mate. Especially the fans.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He needs a good result in that first game to keep the optimism from pre-season going. Some of this team are so lily livered it would not take much for them to lose heart. Let Chelsea players and fans do the worrying.

Walters_19_MuFc

Whilst its great to be winning games, pre season is about finding a balance, a formation, trying players out, tactics, strategies and ultimately, getting the players fit enough for the upcoming season.

Its a bonus that we've won all of our games, but more importantly, im starting to see where Ole wants to go, in regards to style.

So far, there's a few things that i've noticed

- We've used a 4231 in all of our games
- Played with a high line
- Pressed high and in a 442
- Mixture of possession/counter attack
- Roaming wingers/cutting inside
- High full backs

I'm hoping we can take that all of the above into the season.

Conor

Not sure how you could be anything but excited and positive after the pre-season so far. Young academy players getting proper minutes and contributing goals, older academy players taking on more responsibility, players putting in more effort than we've seen in a long time, and the whole team looking very sharp.

Expectations have to be realistic at this stage(~7 years into the post Fergie era shitshow), if you can't take joy in seeing a youthful team playing attacking football, and looking like we can give top 4 a run, I don't know why would would bother still following us. Of course, a few more signings would be great, but you can see Ole knows we need them, and I'm happy he's not throwing his toys out of the pram in public like Mourinho did.

So far, I don't think Ole has put a foot wrong(a few teething problems aside), and I'm happy to live in hope that such a great Utd character can possibly bring us back to where we belong(eventually).

Reactions: Dargonk

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not sure how you could be anything but excited and positive after the pre-season so far. Young academy players getting proper minutes and contributing goals, older academy players taking on more responsibility, players putting in more effort than we've seen in a long time, and the whole team looking very sharp.

Expectations have to be realistic at this stage(~7 years into the post Fergie era shitshow), if you can't take joy in seeing a youthful team playing attacking football, and looking like we can give top 4 a run, I don't know why would would bother still following us. Of course, a few more signings would be great, but you can see Ole knows we need them, and I'm happy he's not throwing his toys out of the pram in public like Mourinho did.

So far, I don't think Ole has put a foot wrong(a few teething problems aside), and I'm happy to live in hope that such a great Utd character can possibly bring us back to where we belong(eventually).
I think some of us could be forgiven for being a bit disillusioned and skeptical after all the false dawns we've endured. Preseason, in particular, means nothing - let's not forget LVG's first year where we played scintillating football during preseason and won all our matches, only to promptly begin the season disastrously.

Conor

I think some of us could be forgiven for being a bit disillusioned and skeptical after all the false dawns we've endured. Preseason, in particular, means nothing - let's not forget LVG's first year where we played scintillating football during preseason and won all our matches, only to promptly begin the season disastrously.
While that is true, I really don't see the point in taking that stance. Following football must be very painful if you look for the negative in every single situation. These people are not getting one over on anyone by pre-emptively claiming this is all going to go to shit, they're just making the forum hard to enjoy.

Tony247

My only problem with Ole is he tinkers with player's position and parterships way too frequent. He did it at Cardiff and same he did post PSG win. What was working he tampered. After that it was freefall. Two huge but coincidentally same mistakes. Hope he doesn't repeat the same this year.

POF

I'm very impressed with the way the team is playing in pre season. There's a real energy about the team and some of the attacking combinations have been very encouraging.

Wan Bissaka's energy has added a new attacking dimension down the right. It makes Shaw's insistence on overlapping inside even more frustrating.

I really like how Ole is making tweaks in players' positions to get more out of them. Martial is really coming on a lot as the number 9, Greenwood is getting better and better from the right and moving Chong to the left was a really savvy move. Chong was lost having the freedom to cut in from the right. Playing as a genuine old school left winger simplified his game and he was excellent.

With such a young squad with very few leaders, getting off to a strong start and keeping the momentum going is really crucial.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Whilst its great to be winning games, pre season is about finding a balance, a formation, trying players out, tactics, strategies and ultimately, getting the players fit enough for the upcoming season.

Its a bonus that we've won all of our games, but more importantly, im starting to see where Ole wants to go, in regards to style.

So far, there's a few things that i've noticed

- We've used a 4231 in all of our games
- Played with a high line
- Pressed high and in a 442
- Mixture of possession/counter attack
- Roaming wingers/cutting inside
- High full backs

I'm hoping we can take that all of the above into the season.
My only problem with Ole is he tinkers with player's position and parterships way too frequent. He did it at Cardiff and same he did post PSG win. What was working he tampered. After that it was freefall. Two huge but coincidentally same mistakes. Hope he doesn't repeat the same this year.
I’m not sure so about a 4231 formation when we still have Matic as a starter. Our downfall last season started when we stopped to use a high line and our midfield collapsed.

Walters_19_MuFc

I’m not sure so about a 4231 formation when we still have Matic as a starter. Our downfall last season started when we stopped to use a high line and our midfield collapsed.
I personally dont feel Matic will be our starting defensive midfielder come the first game of the season. Think it'll be McTominay, although I feel we should have been in the market for a dynamic ball winner, in my opinion.

Tony247

I'm very impressed with the way the team is playing in pre season. There's a real energy about the team and some of the attacking combinations have been very encouraging.

Wan Bissaka's energy has added a new attacking dimension down the right. It makes Shaw's insistence on overlapping inside even more frustrating.

I really like how Ole is making tweaks in players' positions to get more out of them. Martial is really coming on a lot as the number 9, Greenwood is getting better and better from the right and moving Chong to the left was a really savvy move. Chong was lost having the freedom to cut in from the right. Playing as a genuine old school left winger simplified his game and he was excellent.

With such a young squad with very few leaders, getting off to a strong start and keeping the momentum going is really crucial.
Greenwood is 18 yard box CF. I don't know why Ole tried him on right. He will waste his talent. He needs to be groomed in what he naturally is, not where Ole wants. That is a waste. Martial is neither a complete left nor a complete center forward. There is nothing in him 'natural' where we say ah that's his position.

I agree on AWB. The lad is good going forward. Although I am bit skeptical about his sliding tackles.

Last season apart from stamina I noticed our players lack the ball control when a quick pass come to them. Watch any top teams and most of their players demonstrate exquisite pass-receive-first-touch control when in motion. The only Man Utd players who could play at par were Shaw and Pogba. And between these two Shaw was/is better in that aspect. Team's stamina and speed means nothing if players can't control the incoming ball with first touch while running. The ball should come and stick to foot like magnet. I would love to see improvement in this area.

Last edited:

The United

Greenwood is 18 yard box CF. I don't know why Ole tried him on right. He will waste his talent. He needs to be groomed in what he naturally is, not where Ole wants. That is a waste. Martial is neither a complete left nor a complete center forward. There is nothing in him 'natural' where we say ah that's his position.

I agree on AWB. The lad is good going forward. Although I am bit skeptical about his sliding tackles.

Last season apart from stamina I noticed our players lack the ball control when a quick pass come to them. Watch any top teams and most of their players demonstrate exquisite pass-receive-first-touch control when in motion. The only Man Utd players who could play at par were Shaw and Pogba. And between these two Shaw was/is better in that aspect. Team's stamina and speed means nothing if players can't control the incoming ball with first touch while running. The ball should come and stick to foot like magnet. I would love to see improvement in this area.
The reason why Greenwood is playing out wide is pretty obvious as many mentioned already. Playing 17 years old unless your physical at that point is as good as like Rooney in the middle might ruin his development.

Stamina actually plays a huge part with controlling ball and doing something with it. Once general fitness improves, their ball control should as well.

Tony247

The reason why Greenwood is playing out wide is pretty obvious as many mentioned already. Playing 17 years old unless your physical at that point is as good as like Rooney in the middle might ruin his development.

Stamina actually plays a huge part with controlling ball and doing something with it. Once general fitness improves, their ball control should as well.
Stamina and first touch control are not linked. There are specific drills and methods to improve first touch control irrespective of stamina.

The United

Stamina and first touch control are not linked. There are specific drills and methods to improve first touch control irrespective of stamina.
Most have done those drills since young. But, once you are knackered, it all goes to shit. I don't mean to say they will have Messi's touch. I am just simply saying they should not make too many mistakes later in the games due to early fatigue setting in.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Of course it does. Go outside and get somebody to ping a ball at you from 20 yards.

Go and then do a 400m run and get them to pass it again. Rinse and repeat.

Bet you your touch goes out the window.

ReddBalls

Stamina is everything, really. Ever seen Biathlon? None of the athletes, even at youth level, will have any problem shooting down the targets rested. Even you and I would probably knock them all down.

But in a race with 5, 10, 20 km of skiing between the shootings, even the best of them hardly hit them all.

POF

He really isn't. He was a number 10 in the academy before moving into the number 9 position in the last 2 seasons. He's got great goal scoring instincts but he's also a natural footballer who can play multiple attacking positions.

Dr. StrangeHate

Again why is our motivation to not go 30 years without a title like Liverpool? Thats the incorrect thing to focus on and that is what's made us make bad decisions regarding managers and recruitment. Why not just try to have a long term plan with a manager that the board and fans back for a good 5-6 years regardless of results if the style and philosophy are a fit for the club? Ok maybe we'll have a few seasons in irrelevance, but if its fun to watch the games and it is entertaining for the fans I think success will come eventually.

People care too much about not being Liverpool or the banter they'd get from other fans instead of focusing on our own club's development. I'll just take watching United not feel like a chose again and start looking forward to games.
I hate Ed but atleast he has a very clear CL qualification or you are out policy. This should never change for any manager. LVG was let go for falling one point short.
More years out of the CL, less sponsors, less players wanting to join us. It is a vicious cycle which is the only thing the board actually understands.

Status
Not open for further replies.