Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I blame Woodward/Glazers but with noises coming out that Ole’s happy with the squad is making me worried.

You have to be fecking off your rocker to be happy with this squad.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Just a question, but what would be the reaction if Ole is still saying it will take time after three years?
Remember how "process" and "philosophy" had become the two most loathsome words among United fans during LvG's tenure? No matter how much appreciation you have for a person, there always comes a time when you think that enough is enough. It's not even a matter of patience or being a "good fan" (whatever that means). It's about the inherent need to always measure ourselves against (those we consider to be) our competitors and confirm our status. Unless something world-shattering occurs, in three years time United will still be a prestigious club with one of the highest wage bills in the world and the performances on the pitch will have to reflect that reality. And the manager will always be the first one to take the blame. Why? Because in times of distress people put their emotions over their logic and they look for an easy scapegoat. And when the shite will hit the fan, Woodward won't be that scapegoat because, with the Glazers in charge, he is inevitable. And he knows it. So, the disgruntled fans will look for a quick fix that will lighten up the atmosphere a bit. And then you have City and Liverpool raising the bar very high. At some point, we'll have to get close to competing with them. It's what our status demands unless, of course, the fanbase is willing to accept that our status as a club isn't the same anymore and it won't be for quite a while. But are we willing to accept that? My guess is not. See how the Europa League the FA & League Cups are seen as minor trophies. How people reacted when Moyes said we aspire to be like City or when Mourinho said, admittedly in a very coarse way, that United are not a big team anymore and that it was an achievement to finish 2nd. Forget all the bullshite about "attractive football and the "chances for the youngsters". When the season starts and, God forbid, we're left to fight with Wolves and Leicester for a EL spot, reality will kick in. Ole's legendary status, his lovely and polite character and his true intention to instil a modern type of football will give him a year (or a year and a half) without something to show for. But run down his contract? Only if we admit that we are a top-six club and nothing more and embrace this notion as a new reality.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I blame Woodward/Glazers but with noises coming out that Ole’s happy with the squad is making me worried.

You have to be fecking off your rocker to be happy with this squad.
What else is Ole supposed to say?
Jose last season said that he was unhappy and got fired. Ole would follow a similar fate, if he says the same.
In any case, I think Ole will not be the manager on 1st Jan 2020. Everything is proceeding as I expecting.

I think we currently have a net spend of around £75M, which is below the £100M predicted.
If we sell more players, then that figure could fall. Impressive stuff when you think about. We're crap on the pitch, but our profits will look fantastic.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What else is Ole supposed to say?
Jose last season said that he was unhappy and got fired. Ole would follow a similar fate, if he says the same.
In any case, I think Ole will not be the manager on 1st Jan 2020. Everything is proceeding as I expecting.

I think we currently have a net spend of around £75M, which is below the £100M predicted.
If we sell more players, then that figure could fall. Impressive stuff when you think about. We're crap on the pitch, but our profits will look fantastic.
He could easily send sound bites to the press that whilst there is quality within the squad, there are also key areas that need addressed. It can be done tactfully, whilst applying a bit of pressure on the owners to do their fecking job!

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I'm expecting us to be best case scenario 6th, with Wolves, Everton & Leicester our main competitors.

I'm disapointed in Ole.

What happened to his 'survival of the fittest' talk? He also said we will replace anyone who leaves.

Well Fellaini, Herrera & Lukaku have all been allowed to leave with no replacements.

Darmian & Rojo are still here. Matic is still looking like a key starter. Young, Smalling, Jones & Mata all renewed. Surely no-one can take his words seriously again?

That's before you get onto his quality as a coach. I still maintain he's a worse manager than the the rest of the top 8. We may run around more but we still cannot bypass a press without resorting to hoofing it up the channel.

If Ole believes he has been thrown under the bus by Woodward this summer then we can all expect him to resign shortly then?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'd say 6th is par for this season, if he does any better with this squad he's done well, worse would be a failure (only because I don't think Everton, Leicester and Wolves have improved enough).

Nico87

Can’t blame him whatsoever for Herrera as he’s public come out and said Ole did everything he could to persuade him to stay but it was already to late as he’d come to the decision to leave. I’m not to bothered about Lukaku as I like the idea of committing to the development of Rashford as for his flaws which are infuriating there is the potential for a special player there and as Sanchez is staying I would rather use him as a back up C.F. than winger and while i liked Fellani Ole wants to fully commit to a new style of football so it made sense. We really should have replaced Herrera though.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Remember how "process" and "philosophy" had become the two most loathsome words among United fans during LvG's tenure? No matter how much appreciation you have for a person, there always comes a time when you think that enough is enough. It's not even a matter of patience or being a "good fan" (whatever that means). It's about the inherent need to always measure ourselves against (those we consider to be) our competitors and confirm our status. Unless something world-shattering occurs, in three years time United will still be a prestigious club with one of the highest wage bills in the world and the performances on the pitch will have to reflect that reality. And the manager will always be the first one to take the blame. Why? Because in times of distress people put their emotions over their logic and they look for an easy scapegoat. And when the shite will hit the fan, Woodward won't be that scapegoat because, with the Glazers in charge, he is inevitable. And he knows it. So, the disgruntled fans will look for a quick fix that will lighten up the atmosphere a bit. And then you have City and Liverpool raising the bar very high. At some point, we'll have to get close to competing with them. It's what our status demands unless, of course, the fanbase is willing to accept that our status as a club isn't the same anymore and it won't be for quite a while. But are we willing to accept that? My guess is not. See how the Europa League the FA & League Cups are seen as minor trophies. How people reacted when Moyes said we aspire to be like City or when Mourinho said, admittedly in a very coarse way, that United are not a big team anymore and that it was an achievement to finish 2nd. Forget all the bullshite about "attractive football and the "chances for the youngsters". When the season starts and, God forbid, we're left to fight with Wolves and Leicester for a EL spot, reality will kick in. Ole's legendary status, his lovely and polite character and his true intention to instil a modern type of football will give him a year (or a year and a half) without something to show for. But run down his contract? Only if we admit that we are a top-six club and nothing more and embrace this notion as a new reality.
Spoilt is the buzz word this year. Some fans do not seem to understand that we support Manchester United, that we want the club to be successful. That we care for the clubs welfare and want it to have owners who think the same. Yes we back the team and the manager, but they are employees of Manchester United. It is the club we support.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Who would want to play in this midfield?

Who would want to play in Uniteds midfield of last season minus Herrera and Fellaini?
He will want to leave when he realises (or already has realised) that the club’s ambition is void.
Appreciate the clarification. Although it would seem fairly likely he has heart set on leaving regardless. However, even if he stays one more season I contend that the most important factor remains that he actually improves his performances with us and does so on a consistent basis as well.

arthurka

Did he give realistic targets?
Did he not justify why he wanted to replace Herrera and Fellaini?
If he did then he's not strong enough to be the manager and get what he needs.
Mate no one since Fergie has.. Jose got shafted after he signed a 3 year extension.

mu4c_20le

Did he give realistic targets?
Did he not justify why he wanted to replace Herrera and Fellaini?
If he did then he's not strong enough to be the manager and get what he needs.
You sound upset but have no clue who to be upset at.

Giggsyking

He will be the first to be sacked Im afraid. But he has only himself to be blamed for trusting Ed Woodward.

romufc

What will Ole's excuse be now when we are rotting in 7th place?

Last season was - can't wait for pre season, whip the boys in shape
- Some players will not play for Manutd again
- need 4/5 bodies

Pre season - he mentioned he is happy with the work in the transfer window.

What will Ole blame? we won't accept "the other team was better than us" anymore. You have had a pre season to prepare.

Failure is not an option.

romufc

He will be the first to be sacked Im afraid. But he has only himself to be blamed for trusting Ed Woodward.
Exactly, I will not feel bad for Ole if he is sacked. He should have made demands before signing a contract and resigned if they were not delivered.

He has accepted this squad, and trusting the club.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
What will Ole's excuse be now when we are rotting in 7th place?

Last season was - can't wait for pre season, whip the boys in shape
- Some players will not play for Manutd again
- need 4/5 bodies

Pre season - he mentioned he is happy with the work in the transfer window.

What will Ole blame? we won't accept "the other team was better than us" anymore. You have had a pre season to prepare.

Failure is not an option.
Haven't a clue. Sure there will be something plucked out of thin air though.

Dve

Meanwhile, I´m looking forward to the game on Sunday. There´s a fine line between being disappointed and pathetic.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Understood. To be clear, we are on the same page regarding the need for right wing reinforcements. I merely took umbrage with the idea that not signing a RW player this summer should lead to Ole's sacking. Until the end of the window, when more light will hopefully be shed on our transfer strategy, I'm going to give Ole the benefit of the doubt that he had more than one name in mind for the RW spot. Bringing in transfers is a collaborative process between the scouts, the manager, and Ed - the manager shouldn't be the only one who bears responsibility if nobody is brought in. If we get reports later that Ole only wanted Sancho and was willing to wait a year for him by signing nobody in the meantime, then I would concede that your ire toward him is deserved. Until then, I'm going to wait and see (as I said, the links to Pepe were promising even if nothing came of them), and never forget that Ed also has tremendous say over who we pursue.
Well, I guess the transfer window is over..... No right wingers or even attackers to say the least. No doubt we had the funds to purchase them. Arsenal got Pepe for £72m over five years. A deal we could have easily afford. Moreover, Bruno and Dybala who could do a job there in an inverted role. We sold Lukaku, so we have the fund, so I don’t understand why Ole thinks we will be better of with lingard or Mata on the right. Maybe there was no British right attackers available this summer.

Edit:
I just remembered we got Daniel James :lol:. So we did get an attacker, but not a right winger. From pre-season, I don’t have much hope from him besides being a speed merchant that can annoy players with tired legs.

fps

There's going to be a lot of buy-in from players this season, because the ones who are there need to perform. Up front, I have felt for a while that the forwards are waiting for others to do the business, now there is going to be a clear hierarchy for the central strikers, 10s, wingers, and they will all be expected to perform. A similar deal with the midfielders - Fred, Pereira, go on then, show you're good enough. Or you'll be gone next summer. We saw in the run of form when Ole first joined that the team has talent, and with the fitness work there's every reason to believe that can happen again, but moreso.

Name Changed

weso26
Exactly, I will not feel bad for Ole if he is sacked. He should have made demands before signing a contract and resigned if they were not delivered.

I love Ole but he has to take a lot of the blame.

Name Changed

weso26
Ah yes, Pogba or Rashford will get injured and it'll be 'it's tough to cope without your main players' yawn.
Pogba will probably be sold. We will definitely push for a move seeing how we are showing such a lack of ambition. Why would a player like him be happy playing in the Europa League when he can play for Real Madrid

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Moyes
Van Gaal
Mourinho
And now Olé

And you still don't get it..

MrSingh2002

Mate no one since Fergie has.. Jose got shafted after he signed a 3 year extension.
That's true. Says the problem is with Ed or the Glazers. Otherwise Maguire would've been signed before Jose's 3rd season. He wasn't and it killed Mourinhos motivation at the same time.

Lynty

I still think Ole is going to do a good job. Seems like i'm in the minority.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Pogba will probably be sold. We will definitely push for a move seeing how we are showing such a lack of ambition. Why would a player like him be happy playing in the Europa League when he can play for Real Madrid
If i was him, you wouldn't see me for dust.

I'm actually expecting it all to kick off soon too.

No way will he lie down and accept this. He will have to run himself into the ground this season just for us to come 6th.

redIndianDevil

To me, you don't know what you're talking about. Even Mourinho couldn't get his way over Ed on the transfers. What, other than complete delusion, makes you think that the current squad is down to Ole?
There were other players available, OGS should have acted sooner to resolve the midfield problem instead of the protracted sage for Maguire when we already have 5 CBs(yes they are average but without midfield cover no defence is going to be good enough). Again we signed a right footed winger when there are already Martial, RAshford and Sanchez capable of doing that. We could have at least competed for Pepe. It's not correct that all transfer mistakes are pointed at Woodward, we have spent enough money but the targets the managers choose always looks impossible,

1. David Moyes - absolute deer in headlights, had no clue what to do, ended up chasing lost causes like Fabregas and Kroos and panic-bought Fellaini and Mata. It was a shambles of a transfer window.
2. Under LvG, we signed a lot of players very quickly(they were crap but LvG was happy).
3. Mourinho 1st year - signed almost all players Mourinho demanded - successful transfer window.
4. Mourinho 2nd year - Maguire was deemed way too expensive especially after signing Bailly and Lindelof.
5. OGS - Maguire, AWB - clear targets set, signed at any cost. After that there was no clear direction, Dybala, Eriksen, Mandzukic and our transfer window ends in failure.

I'm not saying Woodward is in the clear, he has made a lot of mistakes(especially appointing managers and not appointing DOF) but whenever transfer targets have been clear and achievable, he has delivered.

romufc

But the only issue is he will take the blame by getting sacked. The problem is that Ed will get another bonus for sacking him. And another manager who he will promise the world and deliver feck all.

NinjaFletch

If i was him, you wouldn't see me for dust.

I'm actually expecting it all to kick off soon too.

No way will he lie down and accept this. He will have to run himself into the ground this season just for us to come 6th.
Well we're fecked then.

RobbieBerns

I’ve got faith that Ole will get the best out of this squad, I really like the work he’s done this preseason as well as the new style of play we’ve implemented.

We saw what we got last year after Mourinho moaned all summer and declared how awful his squad was before a ball was kicked. Just listen to the players and you can just hear they want to fight and play for Ole in a way they never would have under anyone else since Fergie.

Plus, the smallest of silver linings to the end of this window is that he’s in the perfect spot now to put his money where his mouth is in regards to playing and trusting youth.

MrSingh2002

You sound upset but have no clue who to be upset at.
I'm upset with Ole, Ed and the Glazers.

Ole for not forcing the club to replace Herrera and Fellaini.

Ed for the past 6 years of being inept.

Glazers for allowing Ed to be inept at getting a half decent recruitment strategy going in the past 6 years.

Its an all round shower of shit to let two midfielders go without replacing them when we were poor to begin with. Genuinely can't believe we're starting the season with this midfield lineup. Worst I've ever seen and I was born in the 80s.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Going into the season with Rashford, Martial and Greenwood as our only striker options :lol: and no Herrera replacement

Good luck, Ole. Hope you survive at least til christmas

WensleyMU

Not sure how much we can blame Ole but one thing is certain, we are handicapped going into the season with the squad we have.

Ole may very quickly find himself back at Molde.

romufc

We can all sit and slaughter Pogba but realistically why would a player of his talent want to be in that midfield?

He is at his prime age going into champions league knockouts where your favourites to win, with big players.

At United we will probably be just about favourites to win a game or score a goal.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave. The club's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.