Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZupZup

The amount of fans on here seemingly upset with a United win today... you love to see it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We were on 9 points after 5 games last season. 8 this season. Cant remember the league positions and not trying to be pedantic but I'm sure that was the case.
I remember us being midtable at a very early point in the season Under Jose, the exact dates and points situation I'm unclear on.

It's worth pointing out that we have been a little unfortunate this season. We could have come away with victories against Wolves, Southampton and Palace so far, many would argue we should have considering the missed penalties and chances that went begging.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Those who are claiming Ole needs more time, did Lampard need more time to implement the attacking patterns? He also had a transfer ban!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
After five PL games:

Greenwood: 47min
Chong: 20min
Gomes: 0min
Garner: 0min

Even accepting that young players need time to bed in and someone like Garner was never likely to feature much if at all, it's still more conservative than I was expecting.

Stepney73

Ole's had one transfer window to make improvements to the squad. During which he has cleared out a tonne of deadwood and brought AWB, James and Maguire in - 3 of our best performers so far this season.

Assuming the 3 new signings continue to perform well and develop further, and there is no reason to believe otherwise, he would be our most successful manager in the transfer market post-Fergie. Does he not deserve credit for that?
This

Ole may or may not turn out to be good enough(I have criticised his in game managment)but in 9 months he's got shot of loads of deadwood plus his 3 signings have looked spot on so far.

He can't do it all in one go as he's got to rely on the glazers and Woodward and results on the pitch are not the top priority for them.

We are trying to play the right way and with some quality signings upfront we will be a different team.

Give it time.

ayushreddevil9

They drew 2-2 at home against a newly promoted side last week at home.

We tonked them 4-0 in the opener.

FFS. Get some perspective.
If you just want to ignore everything and just look at the results, you are welcome to do it. They are not having problems in scoring goals, its the defence. Something we sorted out this window.

AJ10

Those who are claiming Ole needs more time, did Lampard need more time to implement the attacking patterns? He also had a transfer ban!
Its pretty much what Sarri did but faster not sure what patterns he's implemented.

JustAGuest

If you just want to ignore everything and just look at the results, you are welcome to do it. They are not having problems in scoring goals, its the defence. Something we sorted out this window.
Weird to use them as an ideal to look up to when they have their own issues.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He hasn't even had a year here.

Whats wrong with "supporters" nowadays?
90% of our fanbase are fairweather fans who only experienced the Ferguson era. They think we have a divine right to win the PL and cant fathom a United that is not #1. The jury is still very much out on Ole, but demanding blood after FIVE fecking games considering our circumstances is pathetic.

Neville was in the Norwegian studio today and he spoke a lot of sense. We need at least 4 windows to make this squad competitive again. Guardiola needed that many windows to win the league and the squad he took over was 3x better than this one at least. From the players we fielded today only DDG, AWB and maybe Maguire would make it into a Ferguson team. The rest are not even bench quality.

Players like Wes Brown, O'Shea, Fletcher and Park could walk into this team and improve us immensely.

We are in a massive rebuild and wont compete for silverware in a while. Those are the facts

ash_86

That's what we have been saying for past 4 games but didn't stop anyone from moaning that we didn't win them all.

ayushreddevil9

Weird to use them as an ideal to look up to when they have their own issues.
I am not using them as an ideal. Its the excuses that Ole defenders are throwing up. More time, more windows.. It didn't take Sarri and Emery time in implementing a style and its not taking Lampard much time too. Ole did well initially but has changed it completely albeit for worse performances.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Ole's had one transfer window to make improvements to the squad. During which he has cleared out a tonne of deadwood and brought AWB, James and Maguire in - 3 of our best performers so far this season.

Assuming the 3 new signings continue to perform well and develop further, and there is no reason to believe otherwise, he would be our most successful manager in the transfer market post-Fergie. Does he not deserve credit for that?
So, how many transfers does a manager need to start implementing a philosophy? Can this particular manager only work with a specific group of 25 players?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
90% of our fanbase are fairweather fans who only experienced the Ferguson era. They think we have a divine right to win the PL and cant fathom a United that is not #1. The jury is still very much out on Ole, but demanding blood after FIVE fecking games considering our circumstances is pathetic.

Neville was in the Norwegian studio today and he spoke a lot of sense. We need at least 4 windows to make this squad competitive again. Guardiola needed that many windows to win the league and the squad he took over was 3x better than this one at least. From the players we fielded today only DDG, AWB and maybe Maguire would make it into a Ferguson team. The rest are not even bench quality.

Players like Wes Brown, O'Shea, Fletcher and Park could walk into this team and improve us immensely.

We are in a massive rebuild and wont compete for silverware in a while. Those are the facts
That's a good point. Klopp needed two years to make Liverpool competitive again too.

NJM78

I remember us being midtable at a very early point in the season Under Jose, the exact dates and points situation I'm unclear on.

It's worth pointing out that we have been a little unfortunate this season. We could have come away with victories against Wolves, Southampton and Palace so far, many would argue we should have considering the missed penalties and chances that went begging.
Fair enough and as I said, was not trying to go against your narrative completely. Just think it took a while longer before it really went pear shaped with Jose. We certainly needed the 3 points today as plenty more tougher games ahead. Im still 50/50 on whether we will be much better though come December this year as we were when Jose got the boot. The three signings may look good but I fear for our squad depth and for Ole over these next few months.

Last edited:

DevilRed

The football needs to improve.
Heard that even under Fergie when we had Ronaldo and co.

Sometimes there are matches where we don't play well but scrap out a win.

The last few we have dominated possession and deserved to win but were unable to.

The United

So, how many transfers does a manager need to start implementing a philosophy? Can this particular manager only work with a specific group of 25 players?
Different for individual I guess?

LVG or Jose with more 2 years or more and lots of money couldn't get it done. So, it is hard to tell.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Well, the players are certainly pressing more than they were under Jose and LVG. They look a lot more defensively solid as a unit too. Attacking-wise not so much, at least today, but we were without Martial, Pogba and Shaw this afternoon, each of which is integral to our attack.

Also, LVG and Jose are both similarly defensive managers. Between them, they indoctrinated (not sure that is the right word) a defensive philosophy into the squad over five years. That's not going to be easy to shake for the players, no matter how skilled the manager, which is most likely why Ole chose to clear out the ones he knew would never adapt to his own more attacking approach.

DevilRed

After five PL games:

Greenwood: 47min
Chong: 20min
Gomes: 0min
Garner: 0min

Even accepting that young players need time to bed in and someone like Garner was never likely to feature much if at all, it's still more conservative than I was expecting.
I believe we will see them bled in a little bit more in the cup matches. Thats the hope at least.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Fair enough and as I said, was not trying to go against your narrative completely. Just think it took a while longer before it really went pair shaped with Jose. We certainly needed the 3 points today as plenty more tougher games ahead. Im still 50/50 on whether we will be much better though come December this year as we were when Jose got the boot. The three signings may look good but I fear for our squad depth and for Ole over these next few months.
Yeah, squad depth is most definitely a worry. The midfield area looks especially weak, forward options are none too exciting either.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Whatever strategy ole is using is not working and it hasn't worked for a long time. This guy hasn't won any league titles with Molde for the past half a decade. He was out of depth at Cardiff as well. Yet for some strange reason he's believed to be good enough for us

Stepney73

I am not using them as an ideal. Its the excuses that Ole defenders are throwing up. More time, more windows.. It didn't take Sarri and Emery time in implementing a style and its not taking Lampard much time too. Ole did well initially but has changed it completely albeit for worse performances.
That post is the modern playstation generation all over.

Had the Internet been about I Would have loved to see your posts between 1968 and 1992

Classical Mechanic

We basically play a high press for 20 minutes and then when we’re knackered we sit deep and counter. In fairness it has led to us controlling most games we’ve played so far with only individual errors costing us.

Eriku

Preach. Neville was talking a ton of sense about the mercenaries being cleared out, and say what you want about the players out there, they put the effort in and showed desire. Ole’s walking a tight-rope, but is doing so very well, I reckon.

Phil Osophy

Very intelligent approach considering the circumstances, he managed the game well.

Looking forward to see the kids against Astana, Greenwood and Gomes should start this.

Tony247

Lampard has taken Chelsea into a rollercoaster season with youngsters considering axe wielding owner, that's a huge risk compare to comfy position Ole is in. I hope Ole starts giving youth more and more chance as Europa league starts.

My picks are Greenwood, Dylan Levitt, Gomes.

Chong is too raw to play at this level.

redcafe_reader

It seems Ole can't win anything...

Play young - Why don't he play old players?
Play old - Why don't he play young players?
Win game - Why don't he win with 78-0?
Playing Fred - Why don't he play Messi and Ronaldo?
Saying this - Why don't he say that?
Saying that - Why don't he say this?

Haters gona hate.
I always back Ole but this kind of post is ridiculous

How many people said we need to play "old players"?
How many people said we need to win big? Most of them want a better-looking attack, and that's a fair request.
How many people said we need to play Messi or Ronaldo?

If our fan base are as bad as you said, why do you have to make stuff up?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Norwich beating City 3-1 and we can't beat trash like Soton, Wolves and Palace until we have at least 17 transfer windows.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Norwich beating City 3-1 and we can't beat trash like Soton, Wolves and Palace until we have at least 17 transfer windows.
City losing to trash like Norwich despite having multiple transfer windows and hundreds of millions spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.