Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
This is an interesting one, because when he started the job and we were on a great run of victories he seemed incredibly fluent in making adjustments, and they all seemed to work beautifully. Obviously that winning run turned into an absolute turd of a run to close the season, and then this season so far we've seen quite few clear tactical adjustments.

Perhaps he has settled on how we wants to use these players, or perhaps there just isn't the same level of options available. Losing Lukaku and Herrera has certainly impacted what we can do differently. Herrera especially has been a noticeable loss
Exactly.

Woodward's massive contribution. :mad:

Ban

Fine amount of chances? How many chances are we actually creating from open play ? Please , I dont want to see the statistics of xG. Just in layman's terms, let's see how many chances do we create in the game?
What are layman terms?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What are layman terms?
Simple terms that everyone can understand? Like how many chances did we create from open play without the help of any xG stats ? Not just looking into shots on target?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Exactly.

Woodward's massive contribution. :mad:
Incidentally I was out drinking in a bar in Shoreditch two Fridays ago and Ed Woodward was in there with Gary Lineker and some other suits. I can't imagine what those two have to talk about, unless they are personal acquaintances.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Incidentally I was out drinking in a bar in Shoreditch two Fridays ago and Ed Woodward was in there with Gary Lineker and some other suits. I can't imagine what those two have to talk about, unless they are personal acquaintances.
Maybe he is going to sign Lineker as his veteran striker.

USREDEVIL

At this point I find it hard to take seriously any United fan not backing him

Yes we were dog shit at the end of the season, but we were also decent for several months.

He’s got rid of a lot of the dead wood and he has signed well.

Despite it not all gelling on the pitch just how he’s got us pressing aggressively and playing attacking football.

A couple more windows and we’ll be in a good place, he can’t transform the squad overnight.

It’s clear also that the players back him, and further managerial churn will only set us back in this respect.

Most of all for me though it’s the alternatives - Poch and Zidane are hardly pulling up trees and the other alternatives for me would all be has beens or relatively unproven.

He’s got my backing for this season at least.
All good points and i am with Ole for this season as well. Hoping that we make some more big signings next summer ala Sancho and a good midfielder. Then we'll start looking like a proper club.

lysglimt

Scout
This sums up this Place:

Reg: He has taken everything we had, and what has he given us in return ?

Xerxes: Harry Maguire ?

Reg: What ?

Xerxes: Harry Maguire!

Reg: Oh yeah he gave us him. Uh that's true yeah

Xerxes: And Aaron Wan Bissaka

Loretta: Oh yes. Wan-Bissaka, Reg. Do you remember what our defense used to be like ?

Reg: Ok - I'll grant you Wan-Bissaka and Maguire are two things OGS has done for us

Xerxes: DDG's new contract.

Reg: Well yeah, obviously the new contract. That goes without saying doesn't it ? But apart from Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and DDG's new contract

Commando: Dan James

Xerxes: McTominays new contract

Commando 2: Martials new contract

Reg: Yeah, yeah allright - far enough.

Commando: and he brought a smile back to the club

Francis: Yeah that's something we'd really miss if Ole left, Reg!

Commando: He got rid of Darmian, Sanchez and Fellaini

Loretta: And there is a lot less negativity in the press

Francis: Yeah he really knows how to keep the place happy. Let's face it, he is the only one who could in a place like this.

Reg: Oh ok - but apart from Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, DDGs new contract, Dan James, Martials new contract, a smile on everyones face and less
negtivity in the press - what has OGS ever done for us ?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So what, I should go from game to game and write them here?
Dont care whatever you do mate. Fact is , we have been pretty crap in creating chances from open play. Our attacking play is pretty much non existent.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Oh it was great in his last 17 games at least. Only an average of 1.8 goals against
Why not compare it to Mourinho at the same number of games as OGS?

Obviously that's more comparable - he took over a dejected, under-performing side and had to change the style of football entirely.

That wouldn't fit your narrative though, would it?

If you're gonna compare them, do it fairly.

edgar allan

Reg: Oh ok - but apart from Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, DDGs new contract, Dan James, Martials new contract, a smile on everyones face and less negtivity in the press - what has OGS ever done for us ?[/QUOTE]
Giving youth prospects their chance......no-one likes that.

lysglimt

Scout
Why not compare it to Mourinho at the same number of games as OGS?

Obviously that's more comparable - he took over a dejected, under-performing side and had to change the style of football entirely.

That wouldn't fit your narrative though, would it?

If you're gonna compare them, do it fairly.

So it's not fair to compare a team that Mourinho spent 2.5 years to build - with a team OGS inherited without signing new players ? You are right, it's not fair - but I thought Ole did quite well compared to Mourinho anyway

Rhyme Animal

So it's not fair to compare a team that Mourinho spent 2.5 years to build - with a team OGS inherited without signing new players ? You are right, it's not fair - but I thought Ole did quite well compared to Mourinho anyway
So? That's what every fecking manager has to do.

Mourinho took over a team that LvG had built for years and played footy opposite to his own, a squad that was unhappy and discontent in the ground.

The notion of comparing managers at different points in their tenure is laughable - hence stats sources rarely focusing on something as ludicrous as that.

You'll regularly see 'Klopp's first season vs Rodgers first season', or 'Moyes after 20 games vs OGS after 20 games' etc.

That's how managers are compared, don't be so daft as to argue the case just because you like OGS and didn't like Mourinho.

rotherham_red

Mourinho took over a team that LvG had built for years and played footy opposite to his own, a squad that was unhappy and discontent in the ground.

The notion of comparing managers at different points in their tenure is laughable - hence stats sources rarely focusing on something as ludicrous as that.

You'll regularly see 'Klopp's first season vs Rodgers first season', or 'Moyes after 20 games vs OGS after 20 games' etc.

That's how managers are compared, don't be so daft as to argue the case just because you like OGS and didn't like Mourinho.
Well, if you want to deal in facts, Jose did take an LvG squad that was all those things you described, spent £180m adding Pogba, Zlatan, Bailly, and Mkhitaryan and ended up 6th, so... :confused:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
People want miracles. We were never going to be the Liverpool or City standard. We are improving, confidence will come.

If we keep winning we will get more confident and start scoring goals once Martial, Pogba, Rashford all have 15 games in a row.
You shouldn't need miracles to beat teams like Wolves, Southampton and Palace. Look at what Bournemouth are doing to Soton right now. We were pathetic against them.

Alabaster Codify7

You shouldn't need miracles to beat teams like Wolves, Southampton and Palace. Look at what Bournemouth are doing to Soton right now. We were pathetic against them.

They were also down to 10 men.

You will never, ever convince me that Bournemouth have better players than we do. Never in a million years. Yet they have looked a far better unit with a far more identifiable style than we do, and this against an 11 man Southampton team. Goal aside, we barely even created - or attempted to create - a thing in that game.

As you said, nobody wants miracles - nobody expects a title challenge, nobody expects Pep or Klopp standard football or results.

What we do expect is visible progress and being able to put away teams like Southampton, Crystal Palace and based on their form so far, Wolves.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

You will never, ever convince me that Bournemouth have better players than we do. Never in a million years. Yet they have looked a far better unit with a far more identifiable style than we do, and this against an 11 man Southampton team. Goal aside, we barely even created - or attempted to create - a thing in that game.

As you said, nobody wants miracles - nobody expects a title challenge, nobody expects Pep or Klopp standard football or results.

What we do expect is visible progress and being able to put away teams like Southampton, Crystal Palace and based on their form so far, Wolves.
Bournemouth had 6 shots, 35% possession. I'm sure you would be raving about the style of play if that was us.

Rhyme Animal

Bournemouth had 6 shots, 35% possession. I'm sure you would be raving about the style of play if that was us.
How has 'number of shots' got anything to do with 'style of play'...?

If OGS formed an utterly ruthless counter attacking style that saw us concede possession for victories that would be fine my me.

A team with a clear identity and style of play will still lose games, and have games with lower shots on target - that has nothing to do with a clear identity.

You need to try and make sure you're not arguing with the poster rather than with what they're saying...

Otherwise you will end up posting silly rubbish - as quoted here.

edgar allan

Once Ole spends 400 million and ends up with a team 6th in the league we will have a direct comparison.

90 + 5min

This is becoming Comedy Club! We were better than Southampon but couldn't get a goal. It's time for some to stop playing FM and come to reality and listen/look to the facts.

With you logic:
Newcastle won against Tottenham. Must mean Pochettino is shit. Because Tottenham should win.
Norwich won against ManCity. Must mean Guardiola is shit. Beacuse ManCity should win.

Alabaster Codify7

This is becoming Comedy Club! We were better than Southampon but couldn't get a goal. It's time for some to stop playing FM and come to reality and listen/look to the facts.

With you logic:
Newcastle won against Tottenham. Must mean Pochettino is shit. Because Tottenham should win.
Norwich won against ManCity. Must mean Guardiola is shit. Beacuse ManCity should win.

Pep Guardiola has won trophies in every single country he's managed in, MASSIVE trophies in MASSIVE leagues with MASSIVE teams.

Pep Guardiola has won back to back PL titles in emphatic fashion playing incredible football.

Losing to Norwich is a mere blip on Pep's resume. A drop in the pond.

Come back when Ole has won something other than a Norwegian title and gotten a team relegated from the PL and loses to Norwich. Then you might have a slight resemblance.

It's like a fat bloke who regularly shags 1/10 birds trying to claim his best mate (who looks like Brad Pitt) is on par because he once drunkenly took home a 3/10.

Leftback99

How has 'number of shots' got anything to do with 'style of play'...?

If OGS formed an utterly ruthless counter attacking style that saw us concede possession for victories that would be fine my me.

A team with a clear identity and style of play will still lose games, and have games with lower shots on target - that has nothing to do with a clear identity.

You need to try and make sure you're not arguing with the poster rather than with what they're saying...

Otherwise you will end up posting silly rubbish - as quoted here.
I'm pretty sure none of the 'Ole out' group here are wanting to see the type of football which results in only 6 shots (including a header from a corner and an open goal from a goalkeeper calamity, not utterly ruthless counter attack) but the insinuation was that that it's better than what we are producing.

90 + 5min

Pep Guardiola has won trophies in every single country he's managed in, MASSIVE trophies in MASSIVE leagues with MASSIVE teams.

Pep Guardiola has won back to back PL titles in emphatic fashion playing incredible football.

Losing to Norwich is a mere blip on Pep's resume. A drop in the pond.

Come back when Ole has won something other than a Norwegian title and gotten a team relegated from the PL and loses to Norwich. Then you might have a slight resemblance.

It's like a fat bloke who regularly shags 1/10 birds trying to claim his best mate (who looks like Brad Pitt) is on par because he once drunkenly took home a 3/10.
I don't underestimate what Guardiola has done. Excellent coach and great achivements. I was just making a point and not comparing Solskjaer with Guardiola. You can play better and still lose or draw.

Just for record. Ole have won a title. Even if it is Norwegian league it still is league title. There are not lot of managers in Premier League who can say they have won a league title. Regardless of country.

Rhyme Animal

I'm pretty sure none of the 'Ole out' group here are wanting to see the type of football which results in only 6 shots (including a header from a corner and an open goal from a goalkeeper calamity, not utterly ruthless counter attack) but the insinuation was that that it's better than what we are producing.
Cmon mate - argue fair. There wasn't an insinuation from the poster you quoted - there was a statement.

He clearly stated that what he wants is a clear identity from OGS at this point...

You will never, ever convince me that Bournemouth have better players than we do. Never in a million years. Yet they have looked a far better unit with a far more identifiable style than we do
You've then tried to move the goalposts and make the conversation about 'shots on target', when that isn't what he's talking about.

If you disagree and think that OGS has built an identifiable style that gets the best out of the players we have - then argue that!

But the constant 're-framing' (moving the goalposts), not just from you specifically, but in general, is really tedious - and beyond that, it's a bad habit to get into in debates or arguments.

Amarsdd

Ole should really get us playing like Bournemouth such that we get dominated every week by teams like Southampton and hope to score from a couple of shots and a goalkeeping mistake. That would be fecking amazing every week!
feck me! the state of this Ole hate

Leftback99

Cmon mate - argue fair. There wasn't an insinuation from the poster you quoted - there was a statement.

He clearly stated that what he wants is a clear identity from OGS at this point...

You've then tried to move the goalposts and make the conversation about 'shots on target', when that isn't what he's talking about.

If you disagree and think that OGS has built an identifiable style that gets the best out of the players we have - then argue that!

But the constant 're-framing' (moving the goalposts), not just from you specifically, but in general, is really tedious - and beyond that, it's a bad habit to get into in debates or arguments.
"Looked a far better unit" is pretty clear what he's getting at.
Then goes onto say (which you conveniently took out to suit your own 'goalposts') "Goal aside, we barely even created - or attempted to create - a thing in that game" A game where we had 21 attempts on goal!

And i'm the one posting 'silly rubbish' :lol:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Do you think Southampton played the same against us as they did against Bournemouth? You can't compare how a team like Bournemouth does against Southampton to us because teams play differently against us knowing that if they do come out of their defensive shell they will get torn apart...Just look at the stats

---------------Southampton 1-------------Bournemouth 3
Possession-----------65%---------------------35%
Shots----------------25(6)--------------------6(3)

-------------Southampton 1------------------MUFC 1
Possession---------41%------------------------59%
Shots-------------10(2)----------------------21(8)

What we need to improve on is our finishing. We were great and took our chances in the first game against Chelsea. Since then, we have been dominant in every aspect of the game except the most important part. However, I strongly believe that if we keep playing the way that we are that the results will come. We have been unlucky...

Revaulx

Your original point still stands regardless. It's been a running theme in this club ever since Fergie retired; the slightest of knockbacks exposes the mentally fragile players within the squad and spreads like a plague. It was particularly prevalent in Mourinho's last season in charge.
And yet the only likeable part of Mourinho’s (pre-meltdown) tenure was that we did make quite a lot of good comebacks. Away at City was the last and most notable, but it certainly wasn’t the only one.

The three new signings all seem to possess strong mentalities though, which suggests that Ole was aware of this weakness within the squad and made a conscious effort to recruit strong characters first and foremost. When you consider that Ole played in a United squad choc-full of leaders, it makes sense that he would search for similarly strong characters to form the heartbeat of a team he is in charge of.
Let’s hope so. I’m a bit worried that playing for United might drain the character out of them eventually.

Dante

Average bang
If you can't see the progression that's being made, you're not paying attention.

Under LvG on average, we were solid at the back, aimless going forward, lazy out of possession, poor at getting behind teams and poor in front of goal.

Under Mourinho on average, we were solid at the back, direct going forward, lazy out of possession, poor at getting behind teams and poor in front of goal.

Under Ole on average, we're solid at the back, direct going forward, hard working out of possession, poor at getting behind teams and poor in front of goal.

It's baby steps. What we need now is to play better between the lines and in the box. The right training can achieve that. Transfers alone won't achieve it. Ole's doing a good job so far.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

If you can't see the progression that's being made, you're not paying attention.

Under LvG on average, we were solid at the back, aimless going forward, lazy out of possession, poor at getting behind teams and poor in front of goal.

Under Mourinho on average, we were solid at the back, direct going forward, lazy out of possession, poor at getting behind teams and poor in front of goal.

Under Ole on average, we're solid at the back, direct going forward, hard working out of possession, poor at getting behind teams and poor in front of goal.

It's baby steps. What we need now is to play better between the lines and in the box. The right training can achieve that. Transfers alone won't achieve it. Ole's doing a good job so far.
Great in 6 years and with two new managers we'll see the final stage. :drool:

Denis79

Maybe he wants some propaganda spread on TV.

Strelok

being able to put away teams like Southampton, Crystal Palace and based on their form so far, Wolves.
If we manage to do this on a regular basis - what you want then we'd be in for the title race not just top 4. Remember the last years under SAF? We usually got beaten by top teams however still managed to put away lesser ones on a regular basis and that was enough for us to win the title. Also the gap between top and lesser teams is now getting smaller and smaller.
Please be more realistic.

predator

Youth NITK

I personally disagree, however our expectations may differ. I haven't seen enough from our players, board or manager to make me believe this time we are getting it right.

I admire Ole for going down the SAF route but I cant help but think he is overlooking the sheer fact that maybe our youth team aren't going to become world beaters.

Hate to say it but I think Ole is going to damage the club in the long run despite having it's best interests at heart.

Out of curiosity how confident are you that it is going to work under Ole?
Also, how long do you think he should to be given?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I personally disagree, however our expectations may differ. I haven't seen enough from our players, board or manager to make me believe this time we are getting it right.

I admire Ole for going down the SAF route but I cant help but think he is overlooking the sheer fact that maybe our youth team aren't going to become world beaters.

Hate to say it but I think Ole is going to damage the club in the long run despite having it's best interests at heart.

Out of curiosity how confident are you that it is going to work under Ole?
Also, how long do you think he should to be given?
That's the thing though. If he is going to promote academy players and buy young, how much damage can he really do? What Jose did, is 10x worse imo, filling the team with old "stars" at huge contracts that has maybe 1 or 2 good years left. What Ole had to do, and has started doing, is stripping the squad to its bones and building it back up again with the right players

Looking at our current squad it is clear that we are in no position what so ever to challenge for the league this year and we need at least two more windows before we can talk about challenging City and Liverpool. Maybe Ole is not the right man for us in the future, but considering the three players he brought in has been our best this season, i think right now hes the right man for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.