Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You're not one for sound arguments. Shame history is lost on you too.
Everyone should obviously recruit from wherever necessary. With your attitude, Sir Matt Busby would have been unwelcome at the club, and as a result we would not have the legacy we have today.

Shitefield? Grow up. You can dislike Liverpool without being an unstable 7 year old.
Absolutely.

Unless they happen to be ex-Liverpool superheroes such as Prophet Rafa The Fat, in which case all bets are off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How the feck is somebody not losing their job a reason to be sad?

feck me some of you people need to get a real fecking good dose of reality. First somewant saudi's and next people are going to be happy our manager is getting sacked. What the feck is wrong with you people.
It's sad that Ole isn't working out, but a manager doing a terrible job being let go is a positive step for the club - unless as before it is followed by a poor appointment.

And a dose of reality? More real than Ole's awful tenure as our permanent manager?

Shark

@NotShark
Being so bad at your job and still keeping it must be the dream.
Also reports that we could be embarrassed at home to Liverpool and his job is still safe. We couldn’t be supporting a more grim club, absolutely no positives at the moment.

AneRu

I can see the board looking at Norwich and Bournemouth. A draw or loss would be expected against Pool.
If we lose at Norwich after losing against Pool the damage to our PL season will huge and possibly difficult to recover from. The question the club should ask themselves is do they see Ole ever being good enough to win the PL or be a consistent feature in the top 3? If the answer is no then the only sensible decision is sack now, bring in a caretaker till the end of the season and make moves to bring in a long term manager. All other sentimental BS and optics should be thrown out of the window.

BlueHaze

You're not one for sound arguments. Shame history is lost on you too.
Everyone should obviously recruit from wherever necessary. With your attitude, Sir Matt Busby would have been unwelcome at the club, and as a result we would not have the legacy we have today.

Shitefield? Grow up. You can dislike Liverpool without being an unstable 7 year old.
It will never under any circumstances be "necessary" for us to hire Rafa Benitez. There are shit ton of coaches out there and there is something deeply wrong with the logic of you or anyone else who thinks Rafa would be the best possible choice out of everyone available. If such a disastrous appointment was ever made you can bet your arse there would be lots of people not giving a single shit about the club anymore. Luckily it will never happen so let's just leave it at that.

ifightdragons

It will never under any circumstances be "necessary" for us to hire Rafa Benitez. There are shit ton of coaches out there and there is something deeply wrong with the logic of you or anyone else who thinks Rafa would be the best possible choice out of everyone available. If such a disastrous appointment was ever made you can bet your arse there would be lots of people not giving a single shit about the club anymore. Luckily it will never happen so let's just leave it at that.
I certainly don't think or suggest hiring Benitez is necessary. I don't want him either, so we agree.
The point was simply you'd be better off making an actual argument instead of what happened earlier.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I felt the moment he lost me was when he gave away Smalling on Loan.

Ball playing defenders are important but even the most possession based teams don't need 2 at the back; especially with the possibility of negatively effecting the defensive aspects of the team.

Under LVG Smalling did well whilst Blind would focus on receiving the ball of him and passing the ball onto the attackers. Pep's Barcelona - I felt Pique was more of a ball player than Puyol even though the latter was decent on the ball. At Bayern Sule & the likes play alongside Boateng. Even at City players like Kompany and Otamendi have the ability to pass the ball but not to the same level as laporte or Stones that don't seem to work aswell together.

When Ole gave Smalling up to keep the likes of Jones & Bailly - that made me ask questions about his thoughts about management.

As much of a legend as he is - I feel that he merely tries to follow the 'right' idea's or tactics of other managers at other clubs rather than actually trying to make the team play to the best ability by creating tactics that get the best out of the starting 11.

When he started - what was his first words?

He wants the players to work harder and press the opposition. From his words he sounded purposely that no tactics were important if the players didn't work hard and press until they break their breath - trying to emulate the teams of the world that press to stop the opposition gaining any chances on the ball. Yet do we see any idea of the right positions of players? The right angle of pressing? Pressing as a team or do we see a bunch of individuals just running cluelessly just following the ball? I see the latter.

He follows the tactics that works but doesn't have the ability to implement the tactics to his team. Likewise ball playing defenders in the squad, 2 players who can pass the ball but the midfield is hardly ever positioned to ever receive the ball and the ball players end up passing between them. We end up losing the ball in midfield and suddenly our two ball playing defenders are not that great defensively either.

Ole knew that we needed a ball playing defender - because which team doesn't in this era - but he simply doesn't know how use those tactics to make the team flow to play in a methodical way.

As rubbish we may have been under any other manager - unfortunately under Ole we look like a bunch of individuals all given simplified tactics to follow rather than to play as a team that know how to position, defend to play with possession and to attack. Look at the game vs West ham - never mind the players, one team played with an understanding of their strengths and weaknesses and what tactics to use and follow to influence a team like tempo to their game that wins games.

We are just individuals so I find it hard to point and blame individual players at this current state even if they had previously failed in previous seasons.

Reactions: Penna

TsuWave

feck me some of you people need to get a real fecking good dose of reality. First somewant saudi's and next people are going to be happy our manager is getting sacked. What the feck is wrong with you people.
The day Ole gets sacked, I’m popping big bottles. Big bottles. And anybody that’s in the vicinity will have their drinks on me.

This virtue signalling thing that you’re doing is not gonna work. Ole is a terrible manager and needs to be fired as soon as.

AlwaysRed66

I don't care how safe they say he is. If he manages to get us in the relegation zone he will gone next day. There would only be one way otherwise, which is downwards.

Robbie Boy

The day Ole gets sacked, I’m popping big bottles. Big bottles. And anybody that’s in the vicinity will have their drinks on me.

This virtue signalling thing that you’re doing is not gonna work. Ole is a terrible manager and needs to be fired as soon as.
Spot on. I’ve seen this kind of virtue signaling on here plenty of times and it’s always from the holier than thou types. The stark reality is that Ole is doing an atrocious job and he should be sacked. Yes, he’s a legend and a good guy by all accounts, but if people don’t have the emotional intelligence to separate Ole the player and Ole the manager, that’s their issue.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It feels like we're in that position where he's one really bad result off the sack. And that dreadful almost silver lining that if we do get smashed, he'll be gone, and at least we "might" get back on track with someone new...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we lose at Norwich after losing against Pool the damage to our PL season will huge and possibly difficult to recover from. The question the club should ask themselves is do they see Ole ever being good enough to win the PL or be a consistent feature in the top 3? If the answer is no then the only sensible decision is sack now, bring in a caretaker till the end of the season and make moves to bring in a long term manager. All other sentimental BS and optics should be thrown out of the window.
The second Ole apparently said we need to "get to January", it was clear we're in desperation stakes. Never heard anything like it.

I Am Zlatan

with all do respect, by that logic, the world would be extremely behind if CEOs, owners, etc, stuck with bad/subpar employees in high positions..

It’s not like if Ole got sacked, him and his kids would starve to death.. let me ask you a question, do you not want Ed to get sacked? Did you not want Moyes to get sacked?

TsuWave

What makes it worse, is that Ole's a fecking club legend. Some could at least show the guy some loyalty FFS, giving him the time needed to have this clearout. Clearly the bulk of this team is not good enough and mentally should be nowhere near the club, every time they face a grilling from the manager they sulk and play to get him sacked.

The fact we have some poster's treating Ole's sacking like Xmas has come early is a sad incitement towards genuine fans. (Who would never bask in the firing of a legend desperate to return the club to former glories).
Ole was compensated handsomely, both financially and in adulation, for his services to the club, he still is.

Conflating Ole the player with Ole the manager is not good for the well being of the club, and does not make one “a genuine fan”.

My loyalty is to United not to ex players, and there’s only so much clout that goal in 99 can buy you.

it can’t be “no player is bigger than the club” one day, and the next “be loyal to ex player despite them not being competent enough”. It is “oochie wally wally” or is it “one mic”?

Last edited:

Un4givableB

I don't care how safe they say he is. If he manages to get us in the relegation zone he will gone next day. There would only be one way otherwise, which is downwards.
OGS is a dead man walking,he's going to go and the only reason he's not gone already is that it would reflect badly on Woodward and no overpaying for players in January he going to change to the fact that OGS not a competent at this level.

SAF had to jettison Darren as a player at United, Woodward will have to do the same with Ole.

izzydiggler

He seems a decent, affable bright guy, who obviously loves the club but he’s just clearly way, way out of his depth. It brings me no pleasure to see him torn to shreds but every time I feel sorry for him, I’m just reminded that’s why he was given the job (IMO) - to get fans to make excuses and put with a the club in rapid decline, being mis-managed everywhere.

I don’t WANT him sacked and it’s far from the only issue but in isolation, apart from him being a player here, he shouldn’t be close to the job he’s in. It’s only going to end badly.

AneRu

OGS is a dead man walking,he's going to go and the only reason he's not gone already is that it would reflect badly on Woodward and no overpaying for players in January he going to change to the fact that OGS not a competent at this level.

SAF had to jettison Darren as a player at United, Woodward will have to do the same with Ole.
Its clear he is gone, he is just presiding over a potential massacre to afford any new man a relatively clean slate starting with Norwich away. The only way he survives is if he somehow beats or earns a point against Liverpool.

Chairman Steve

If you change his name to one that isn’t a Manchester United legend, I guarantee those die hard top reds would be calling for his head. It’s just that nostalgia and sentimentality fecks with some people and lets their heart rule over their head. We need to wipe the club of any affiliation with the Sir Alex era moving forward, regarding the on field stuff.

The basic fundamentals of a manager/head coach is getting a tune out of what you’ve already got. OGS isn’t doing that and it’s getting worse the longer it goes on, even though we should be seeing a system of play by now. He’s had the latter half of last season and a preseason to get everything to his liking, but nothings changed in that department.

While I don’t know what the feck was going on in the transfer window... I won’t blame him if Woodward and the marketing posse were slow as shit negotiating, or they’re penny pinching because they’re thinking of selling up. I would place blame on him if his shortlist for different positions expanded no further than ‘this specific player or nothing’... Yes, Sancho is a talent but surely you’d have a fallback option that’s just as good if that fails to come off? Why did it seem like it was Sean Longstaff or bust at times? Does the club actually do scouting of the market?

Plus again they’ve had since last Christmas to get this shit done. We all essentially thought the latter half of last season is a write off and it’s just prep for next season, yet the club conducted itself like it was a fish out for water in the summer.

Foxbatt

Spot on Bebestation. I am amazed by what some people don't see about his coaching. Yes we press and we get the ball but then what? This is where United gets it all wrong. It's one way only.
Get it to Rashy. Even Big Sam coaches better and have better tactics.
Honestly I feel this is the biggest mistake United has made. To me now this is worse than Moyes. At least Moyes has his way of playing. LVG bored everyone including himself to death but at least he has a philosophy of possession football. I would say that LVG would not have got the sack if Jose was still the manager at Chelsea.
Ole has got to go now before it's too late.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I felt the moment he lost me was when he gave away Smalling on Loan.

Ball playing defenders are important but even the most possession based teams don't need 2 at the back; especially with the possibility of negatively effecting the defensive aspects of the team.

Under LVG Smalling did well whilst Blind would focus on receiving the ball of him and passing the ball onto the attackers. Pep's Barcelona - I felt Pique was more of a ball player than Puyol even though the latter was decent on the ball. At Bayern Sule & the likes play alongside Boateng. Even at City players like Kompany and Otamendi have the ability to pass the ball but not to the same level as laporte or Stones that don't seem to work aswell together.

When Ole gave Smalling up to keep the likes of Jones & Bailly - that made me ask questions about his thoughts about management.

As much of a legend as he is - I feel that he merely tries to follow the 'right' idea's or tactics of other managers at other clubs rather than actually trying to make the team play to the best ability by creating tactics that get the best out of the starting 11.

When he started - what was his first words?

He wants the players to work harder and press the opposition. From his words he sounded purposely that no tactics were important if the players didn't work hard and press until they break their breath - trying to emulate the teams of the world that press to stop the opposition gaining any chances on the ball. Yet do we see any idea of the right positions of players? The right angle of pressing? Pressing as a team or do we see a bunch of individuals just running cluelessly just following the ball? I see the latter.

He follows the tactics that works but doesn't have the ability to implement the tactics to his team. Likewise ball playing defenders in the squad, 2 players who can pass the ball but the midfield is hardly ever positioned to ever receive the ball and the ball players end up passing between them. We end up losing the ball in midfield and suddenly our two ball playing defenders are not that great defensively either.

Ole knew that we needed a ball playing defender - because which team doesn't in this era - but he simply doesn't know how use those tactics to make the team flow to play in a methodical way.

As rubbish we may have been under any other manager - unfortunately under Ole we look like a bunch of individuals all given simplified tactics to follow rather than to play as a team that know how to position, defend to play with possession and to attack. Look at the game vs West ham - never mind the players, one team played with an understanding of their strengths and weaknesses and what tactics to use and follow to influence a team like tempo to their game that wins games.

We are just individuals so I find it hard to point and blame individual players at this current state even if they had previously failed in previous seasons.
I agree with the Smalling part especially. As we can see with City, not having enough fit center halves can derail the best of plans.

Dve

Frankly, I was a bit worried that Solskjær would have a bad start of the season, cause that has sort been his trademark at Molde (at least for a couple of seasons). Molde always finished on a high tough, so there is maybe a little hope in that. That, and the possibility to finally get to play his strongest team again and hopefully some business in January. If Pogba and Martial keep being sidelined, I think Ole is done.

lex talionis

The sack is appropriate, who exactly do we bring in right now -- not at the end of the season, but right now...Mourinho? Blanc? Wenger?

All things considered Mourinho would be a humiliation.

Blanc is a possibility, but I have my doubts he'd get us back on our feet.

Wenger -- 69 years old -- may be the only realistic option as a caretaker manager, but it still seems unimaginable for Arsene Wenger to even consider managing Manchester United, regardless of the present circumstances.

We could go with Gary Neville or even Phil Neville, but chances are they'd be a disaster as well.

There's always Keano, but I can't see that ending well even if he were interested in the job.

Rafa is not leaving his new Chinese gig to take this job.

Perhaps we could snatch Bruce Arena from New England Revolution, but it must be noted that doing so would be the final humiliation for a once-proud club.

Scotty McT

The sack is appropriate, who exactly do we bring in right now -- not at the end of the season, but right now...Mourinho? Blanc? Wenger?

All things considered Mourinho would be a humiliation.

Blanc is a possibility, but I have my doubts he'd get us back on our feet.

Wenger -- 69 years old -- may be the only realistic option as a caretaker manager, but it still seems unimaginable for Arsene Wenger to even consider managing Manchester United, regardless of the present circumstances.

We could go with Gary Neville or even Phil Neville, but chances are they'd be a disaster as well.

There's always Keano, but I can't see that ending well even if he were interested in the job.

Rafa is not leaving his new Chinese gig to take this job.

Perhaps we could snatch Bruce Arena from New England Revolution, but it must be noted that doing so would be the final humiliation for a once-proud club.
I really hope this is a joke post.

Wenger would be my choice as interim and he's recently said that United is a dream job.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Dve

I agree with the Smalling part especially. As we can see with City, not having enough fit center halves can derail the best of plans.
I never thought I would read that offloading Smalling was the one thing that turned someone against Ole.

predator

Youth NITK
De Gea for player manager?

Not even joking. Who is actually going to come in at this stage and salvage the season, whilst also being considered for the full time role?

Personally I think we will get beat by liverpool, convincingly, and also lose against Partizan, norwich and every opponent until Brighton at home on the 11th of November - if we carry on. I see no reason why this won't happen.

I do have a feeling that Ole will do the noble thing and resign before it gets ugly.

mattsville

He needs to be braver and attack more, commit more players forward, after lvg and jose the fans are tired of cautious football, just go for it, he was attacking as interim and it was great, do it again, we should be flooding teams at home, regardless of opposition, obviously away against certain teams you need to be cautious, but cautious in every game seems to be the way we are operating, build up is slow, no midfielders get into the penalty area, just fecking go for it, if Ole were to get it right he would be perfect for us given his history here but if it is to got tits up I would rather he went out in an attacking frenzy than a cautious let's keep it tight effort.

BlueHaze

De Gea for player manager?

Not even joking. Who is actually going to come in at this stage and salvage the season, whilst also being considered for the full time role?

Personally I think we will get beat by liverpool, convincingly, and also lose against Partizan, norwich and every opponent until Brighton at home on the 11th of November - if we carry on. I see no reason why this won't happen.

I do have a feeling that Ole will do the noble thing and resign before it gets ugly.
Blanc as interim until the season ends and then go from there is what I would do.

tomaldinho1

I don't really understand this new transfer strategy, we're pretty much only linked with British players now - we're becoming Liverpool when they went on that weird spree of signing Henderson, Lallana, Clyne, Lambert, Allen, Sturridge over a couple of seasons. They overpaid and only one of them worked out - Personally I think they can upgrade Henderson as well.

Maddison & Chilwell targets now apparently, I don't think they're bad players (Maddison in particular) but they'll be excruciatingly expensive and there must be other options out there? It's like we enjoyed our 'negotiations' for Maguire and want to get rinsed again.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don't really understand this new transfer strategy, we're pretty much only linked with British players now
Maybe it's a (private) admission of our lack of foreign transfer expertise?

Status
Not open for further replies.