Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SER19

The squad is too thin. We are doing absolutely appallingly, but I still think in terms of rebuilding, the players we lost were correct calls. Not replacing them is the failing, not letting them go. If lukaku was up top against Newcastle there's a fair chance it would have made absolutely no difference

But we should have absolutely signed an improvement

Shark

@NotShark
Of course. Moyes should be given more time. LVG should be given more time. Same old drivel.
Yep, when will people realize Neville is absolutely clueless. He talks a lot, that doesn't mean he's in any way right about our issues and he will always ignore our biggest issue, our current manager who has shown himself to be far below PL level. So what's the point in listening to him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So according to xg we are the best defensively and 5th best going forward. Despite having an injury crisis and an absolutely shocking group of midfielders/number 10s. That to me suggests the coaching may not be anywhere as bad as some are suggesting.

We've managed to throw a heap of points away by missing penalties/sitters and giving away daft goals despite giving up the fewest chances in the league.

I don't see that as a result of bad management. It's just a difficult period early in the rebuild process. Best defence and 5th best offence probably gets you top 4 more often than not. They need more time.
So, according to Xg then.... watch our games mate, we're absolutely clueless. We consistently manage 1 or 2 shots per game against shitty sides, we have no idea what to do with possession and on top, our players are in poor form as ever. This "we just missed some sitters" is closing the eyes in front of the obvious. Ole has not installed any game plan, strategy for the team nor does he uplift any of the players. He's been rather shocking as our manager, hence the worst start to the season since ever

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yep, when will people realize Neville is absolutely clueless. He talks a lot, that doesn't mean he's in any way right about our issues and he will always ignore our biggest issue, our current manager who has shown himself to be far below PL level. So what's the point in listening to him.
I stopped listening to Gary a long time ago. He used to be a good pundit before he went to management. He reminds me of Titanic's captain

el3mel

We are close to relegation but xG saying we are 5th best attacking team? :lol: Is there any more evidence that this stat means feck all?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So according to xg we are the best defensively and 5th best going forward. Despite having an injury crisis and an absolutely shocking group of midfielders/number 10s. That to me suggests the coaching may not be anywhere as bad as some are suggesting.
I think it is closer to suggesting that xG should never again be used as some valuable metrics.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We are close to relegation but xG saying we are 5th best attacking team? :lol: Is there any more evidence that this stat means feck all?
It's meaningful, just skewed because of our penalties. I think we rank something like 17th in XG from open play. That's more like it.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
All pundits I've heard,with regards to commentating on our state at present ,seem to consistently say one thing ,and that one thing is becoming rather grating,"I really feel sorry for Ole at the moment".
Honestly,why the f*ck is that ?
He's one of the major reasons we dont seem to have a clue on the pitch.

Sure, Ole could've had alittle more help in the transfer window gone by but the great man himself seemed rather content going into this campaign with the options he had at his disposal.Plus,no one put a damn gun to his head and forcefully move his hand to sign the damn contract.

Overall,my views on Ole,and staff, amount to this : He,and his coaching staff,have the right ideas but don't have a clue in going about implementing them.
That’s what bugs me. 99% of people have the right general idea. Ole talks a good talk, well he did when he arrived anyways, but that’s about it. Klopp, Poch, Pep, pretty much every other manager has their reputation because of what they have done and / or are doing. Ole is the only one whose gotten credit for saying what he’s going to (very generically I might add) do , but in 10 months hasn’t shown any signs of being able to do the two most important things.
1) Develop playing style
2) Develop and improve young players

United Hobbit

Think one of the guys on a podcast I was listening to today summed Ole up perfectly, they were discussing how when he came in he said he wanted to build the team around Pogba and while he's been injured, yet when he has used him he's been played out of position, If you're going to build the team round him play him in his best position

The guy said Ole has "probably got good intentions and knows what he wants but just feel like he doesn't really know how to accomplish it"

momo83

Massive Snowflake
This idea that "ole is not the problem" is basically a Gary Neville special level of thick logic.

There isn't one problem, there are many, of which Ole is one.
Shows how cunning he is. Talks about “The problem” to blindside people. Realistically, a shit manager is more detrimental to the club then our board and it’s easier and more realistic to change manager then our board.

While our board are rubbish and have limited us. Under the greatest manager with much less resources we still remained a top 4 European Club. With 2 other good managers we still managed to get CL qualification or come close, under LVG we were 1 win away from going top in his final season around December...

It’s actually under Ole that we’ve fallen so so so far down and in such a short space of time. It makes you dread to wonder where we will be if he did stay for 3 years.

Un4givableB

Mourinho would never have agreed to start the season with the squad we currently have as much I got fed up with him towards the end.
No semi-decent manager would have started the season with our current squad, what's makes it even worse is that OGS was in a strong position to pressure Ed to get him players, instead he was parroting the 'happy with his squad' line.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
No semi-decent manager would have started the season with our current squad, what's makes it even worse is that OGS was in a strong position to pressure Ed to get him players, instead he was parroting the 'happy with his squad' line.
Why was he in a strong position? My view from the beginning was that he was hired because he would always be in a weak position until he achieved anything with us.

Mourinho didn't want to build a team around our young players, needed to spend lots of money, enjoyed challenging authority, and (at least in his own mind) had plenty of better choices if his demands weren't met. Ole seemed like he was hired because he was the exact opposite. He'd go along with the board's idea of limited spending and youth first, and he would never have a better option, he would always make concessions to stay in his dream job.

Why would they give Ole what they wouldn't give Mourinho?

Alabaster Codify7

I wonder how the crowd will react if we get humiliated on Sunday? Will we finally see some realism creep in and some boos?

No, that's ridiculous. We're dealing with the fabled match-going Topreds here, those who once sang that incredible war-cry:

"Every single one of us will stand by David Moyes"

It was well worth sticking by Moyes, wasn't it. In 2yrs time, the same will be laughed at regarding Ole.

Un4givableB

Why would they give Ole what they wouldn't give Mourinho?
Why, because he was in the position to throw Woodward under the bus, Woodward couldn't afford to have OGS walk away because of lack of investment.
Managers routinely pressure their owners for more players. If OGS had played it right, Woodward couldn't show his face at OT if he didn't get in more players or OGS had walked.

el3mel

I wonder how the crowd will react if we get humiliated on Sunday? Will we finally see some realism creep in and some boos?

No, that's ridiculous. We're dealing with the fabled match-going Topreds here, those who once sang that incredible war-cry:

"Every single one of us will stand by David Moyes"

It was well worth sticking by Moyes, wasn't it. In 2yrs time, the same will be laughed at regarding Ole.
They'll sing "20 times" to piss Liverpool fans I guess.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Why, because he was in the position to throw Woodward under the bus, Woodward couldn't afford to have OGS walk away because of lack of investment.
Managers routinely pressure their owners for more players. If OGS had played it right, Woodward couldn't show his face at OT if he didn't get in more players or OGS had walked.
If Ole walked and we replaced him with someone like Pochettino I think people would've moved on pretty quick. And I suspect Ole knows that too. Where would he walk off to? Molde? His best option is to hang on here, and everyone knows it.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
If Ole walked and we replaced him with someone like Pochettino I think people would've moved on pretty quick. And I suspect Ole knows that too. Where would he walk off to? Molde? His best option is to hang on here, and everyone knows it.
Not a given Molde will take him back as manager. Apparently Molde are about to win their first league title since 2014 both of which were coincidentally in their first season after Ole left.

Maybe they might give him a director role or something. But he hasn’t actually won any leagues with them since 2012

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not a given Molde will take him back as manager. Apparently Molde are about to win their first league title since 2014 both of which were coincidentally in their first season after Ole left.

Maybe they might give him a director role or something. But he hasn’t actually won any leagues with them since 2012
Molde have won 3 titles in their history. The first two were won by Solskjær. The third was won the season he left for Cardiff but the manager was sacked shortly afterwards and Ole rehired.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Molde have won 3 titles in their history. The first two were won by Solskjær. The third was won the season he left for Cardiff but the manager was sacked shortly afterwards and Ole rehired.
I know and during Ole’s second stint they didn’t win any league titles, this season looks like they might win their first one since before they rehired Ole.

Shark

@NotShark
Ah that's absolute muck. That's something that would happen if Pep is taking over, only it happened at a much lower level.

Eddy_JukeZ

Only reason it's high is because of pens.

It's better to look at big chances created and xG from open play.

We're bottom 5 for both.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ah that's absolute muck. That's something that would happen if Pep is taking over, only it happened at a much lower level.
I don’t the the full facts of it but I’m pretty sure results took a downward turn and he was let go rather than Ole being available and them ditching him to get Ole back in.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yes. We've given up the fewest chances but De Gea, Lindelof×2, and Tuanzebe have all made bad individual mistakes that cost us points.

Alkmar and Astana didn't score. (These games don't count towards PL xg stats)
Wait... so you're telling me... we have the best defence.

And you're telling me that best defence made 5 individual error that cost us 8 points?

You don't make that many mistakes when you're the best. Isnt that the point? How can you honestly say a team with no clean sheet as having the best defence?

SteveW

Wait... so you're telling me... we have the best defence.

And you're telling me that best defence made 5 individual error that cost us 8 points?

You don't make that many mistakes when you're the best. Isnt that the point? How can you honestly say a team with no clean sheet as having the best defence?
It's clearly not down to anything tactical or down to coaching. The defense is set up properly.

Players have just made unexpected errors. Not sure what part of this you are struggling with

Sterling Archer

@Un4givableB is right on the money here. Ole was emphasizing culture, he slagged off half the squad after Everton and went into the summer talking about replacing the likes of Lukaku and Sanchez were they to leave.

We then are fed stories about players like Dybala and Eriksen not fitting our culture. And then Bruno not being good enough. And of course no forward signed.

It's like Ed used Ole's own words against him. And the Norwegian hasn't let out a peep. This summer, had he had the balls to speak up and corroborate the nonsense dealings of Woodward, all the fans would have rallied behind him. Instead Ole sat quiet and now he is not only suffering for lack of squad depth and quality as his own doing, everyone is also placing extra scrutiiny on his tactics and managerial ability, which are very very UNimpressive. It's no longer the position of strength for Ole that he had and squandered in the summer.

RadicaliRed

Our best current team which we should play against Liverpool, irrespective of giving some of the boys time on the pitch, against big teams should be one mixed with speed, talent, experience and youth:

1. David De Gea ; obviously our best goal keeper and although has been conceding is still superior to any other in the league. Should hopefully hold against free kicks, crosses and from any shots from Salah, or any headers with his vision.

18. Young, wealth of experience and captaining, good on the wing and supplies crosses. Should stop Mane approaches.
2. Lindelof, one of the best solid Swedish players who supports our back. Clearing up in defense, plays well at home and should manage Firmino.
5. Maguire, great defender and dangerous in the air - just remember Russia World Cup 2018 for England. Will keep out Van Dijk and others
29. Wan-Bissaka, great new signing who will come into his own when back from injury and is great at challenges down the right. Should win every challenge down the right.

17. Fred, our Brazilian coming into his own with more confidence when surrounded by quality players. Will improve but should outpace Milner.
31. Matic, Serbian who controls the movement of play through the middle. Will pass the ball around and handle Fabinho without too much worry.
8. Juan Mata, play maker and silky Spaniard. When playing technically it's all that matters, should outclass the midfield with Wijnaldum.
6. Pogba, Utd's most expensive player should get played as he is world class. Collects and deliver, should be the penalty taker.

10. Rashford, the kid is scoring all the majority of goals despite one or two penalty misses. Would dribble by Van Dijk again easily.
9. Martial, has scored 50 goals for the club and is by far one of the most dangerous on the pitch. Should keep off Lovren and create chances.

Hopefully they are match fit and ready for the game.

MisterLupus

That's not how you use xG it's not a fortune telling tool it's just statistics and it requires a proper analysis to interpret these statistics. Just because there are a lot of amateurs about who knows nothing at all about statistical analysis - doesn't mean statistics are bad. What that tells you is that our tactics - our buildup and overall play - generates enough space and chances to warrant us being the 5th best attacking team - so when we obviously aren't - then you start looking into the reasons why - find out what causes this discrepancy.

Spoiler alert - it's our players not having the wits nor the composure to take advantage of these opportunities. Plain and simple - they're utter shite in the final third and Ole and his crew were delusional not reinforcing that area last summer. Seriously I'm almost tearing my hair out every match I watch these days because even I can see these opportunities opening up - and then our players either being oblivious to them or simply ignoring them doing all kinds of stupid instead. Or of course - the few times they actually do manage to exploit them and get at goal - sending the ball either straight into the arms of the goalkeeper, missing the open net or failing to convert even a penalty etc etc etc.

We need improvements to our squad way more than we need improvements to management. The latter won't have much of an impact until the former is fixed.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's clearly not down to anything tactical or down to coaching. The defense is set up properly.

Players have just made unexpected errors. Not sure what part of this you are struggling with
We have best defence because we do have very good players there and excellent gk but also because we play defensive football. This what we play is very close to park the bus approach

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We have best defence because we do have very good players there and excellent gk but also because we play defensive football. This what we play is very close to park the bus approach
No, not even close to truth. We are clueless when we have ball, doesn't mean we park the bus.

Havak

Pokemon master
So, what are people's views on how low we can sink before the plug is pulled?

Liverpool (H) - 20/10
Partizan (A) - 24/10
Norwich (A) - 27/10
Chelsea (A) - 30/10
Bournemouth (A) - 2/11

A big win against Liverpool could be the lift we need to go on a run, but a heavy defeat could knock the last bit of fight out of us (if there is any left at all). We need to get the away win monkey off our shoulder, no matter where that first win comes, and hope that we can build some form of momentum. Thankfully, I think Norwich, Chelsea, and Bournemouth will all come at us and leave space in-behind. If Martial is fit and Rashford can bring his England form to United (probably via building fitness in the Liverpool/Partizan games) we might be able to do something. At the moment though, there's just no confidence and I don't expect us to win any of these games. If that's the case, do the board have to sack Ole? We could be out of the League Cup and on the verge of falling into the bottom three come the start of November.

On the flipside, if the club decide to stick with him, as long as we can see a bit more from the side in terms of creativity and goals, the next fixtures are Partizan (H), Brighton (H), Sheffield United (A), Astana (A), and Aston Villa (H). Do the club let Ole have a crack at this run leading into December, or do they sack him prior and let the new manager have an (on paper) easier start?

SirAF

Ageist

Liverpool (H) - 20/10
Partizan (A) - 24/10
Norwich (A) - 27/10
Chelsea (A) - 30/10
Bournemouth (A) - 2/11

A big win against Liverpool could be the lift we need to go on a run, but a heavy defeat could knock the last bit of fight out of us (if there is any left at all). We need to get the away win monkey off our shoulder, no matter where that first win comes, and hope that we can build some form of momentum. Thankfully, I think Norwich, Chelsea, and Bournemouth will all come at us and leave space in-behind. If Martial is fit and Rashford can bring his England form to United (probably via building fitness in the Liverpool/Partizan games) we might be able to do something. At the moment though, there's just no confidence and I don't expect us to win any of these games. If that's the case, do the board have to sack Ole? We could be out of the League Cup and on the verge of falling into the bottom three come the start of November.

On the flipside, if the club decide to stick with him, as long as we can see a bit more from the side in terms of creativity and goals, the next fixtures are Partizan (H), Brighton (H), Sheffield United (A), Astana (A), and Aston Villa (H). Do the club let Ole have a crack at this run leading into December, or do they sack him prior and let the new manager have an (on paper) easier start?
As of now I genuinely can't see a win in any of those matches. However, as you say, that might all change with a confidence booster against Liverpool.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This idea that "ole is not the problem" is basically a Gary Neville special level of thick logic.

There isn't one problem, there are many, of which Ole is one.
He is right. Ole is not the problem. The board who gave this incompetent the managerial job is. They can't stop committing mistakes

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.

Liverpool (H) - 20/10
Partizan (A) - 24/10
Norwich (A) - 27/10
Chelsea (A) - 30/10
Bournemouth (A) - 2/11

Liverpool (H) -L
Partizan (A) - D
Norwich (A) - L
Chelsea (A) - L
Bournemouth (A) - W

Ole will be gone after Chelsea

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He is right. Ole is not the problem. The board who gave this incompetent the managerial job is. They can't stop committing mistakes
There is no one single problem. So he's not right.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He is so bad now at so many different things. Top it with his delusional view on things, and you just know things can get even worse

izec

He is so bad now at so many different things. Top it with his delusional view on things, and you just know things can get even worse
They will. Injuries will persist, shit football as well. We will rely completely on individual brilliance and our opponents being worse than us. If we didn't turn it around by now after the summer, we wont turn it around after the new year or earlier either with a novice manager and a bad squad for United standards. We are in deep trouble, relegation battle is what i expect with Ole in charge. We look like we can lose against any team at any time, but not like winning much.

Status
Not open for further replies.