Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The only reason the end of this season isn't already shit is because of Ole. He's the reason we even have a glimmer of hope of making top 4 or going further in the Champions League.

Are we really about judging managers after half a season and not a single transfer window to make a single squad change or upgrade? I don't understand why some fans are so negative. I can't wait to go to the game on Saturday against Watford and Old Trafford will be bouncing after this news.
It's not about judging him persay it's ensuring next season isn't as shit as every one since post Fergie has been. The more seasons pass the more we become the next Liverpool/Arsenal

Dike_Manc

Officially at the wheel :devil::devil:!!

Last edited by a moderator:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good that we finally announced it. I had no problem had we waited till end of the season but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Like few said, it's not fair on Molde too, also maybe not having permanent manager made it hard to convince our transfer targets.

Hopefully he will stay here for many years with lots of success.

Wayne's World

I don't think with the job he has done that he wasn't going to get the job. Beating Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea away along with the famous night in Paris, I think we all knew that he was a shoe in for the job after that.

Now it's up to the board to back him because this club needs big investment, no point giving him the job and basically expect him to produce miracles with this squad, it's still not good enough to win major competitions and there's still alot of deadwood to get rid of and I hope Ole has identified this before taking the job

GM K

Well deserved. Congrats to Ole! This is exciting news!

The most important thing for me is that he gets the spirit of the club and fans almost unanimously love him. That is more important than technical know how in my opinion.

More importantly now, the board needs to get a good Director of Football and investments need to be made to improve the squad. If we fail to do this, Ole will struggle.

SER19

Anybody worried that hiring him now will affect the teams performance is making a strong argument for needing a huge overhaul of players.

Delighted at this it's a dream that the guy from 99 is now manager. Hope we finish the season strong and carry momentum into next season where we will see oles real identity after a full summer

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Incredible news.

I don’t even care if it doesn’t go well. He’s the best man for the club.

Still imperative we get the infrastructure around him so if it doesn’t go well, we will still be in a strong position for the next manager. Hell even if it does go well, we should be in a strong position for the next manager.

ZupZup

It's not about judging him persay it's ensuring next season isn't as shit as every one since post Fergie has been. The more seasons pass the more we become the next Liverpool/Arsenal
There are no guarantees with any manager we could bring in. Have the past two taught us nothing?

I just don't get the concern or negativity... we need to give him a chance. He's done enough since he took over to deserve that. And by a chance, I don't mean until the end of the season where he hasn't been able to do anything with the squad. We should enjoy the ride for the rest of this season and see where it takes us without high expectations... and then let the manager have next season to see what he can really do.

Patrick08

There is absolutely no chance this team beats Barcelona unless they go full Mourinho and play 11 people in the box and send a single counter at the end of the game like Chelsea did.
There are ways to beat them other ways too its so disheartening to see people so low having such a veiw

Sylar

So Phelan is still contracted with Central Coast Mariners as Sporting director eh? haha

the chameleon

Glad we have Ole at the wheel.

Though, I feel indifferent overall. It could be a Pep Guardiola level manager. The bigger issue is Ed Woodward. Hopefully, we have some signings for Ole that will help challenge on fronts next year.

AJ10

Negatives
- Distraction during a crucial top four race
- Too early to know if OGS will cut it at the top level. Could've waited until after the Barca games.
- Weird that he gets the position after two losses in a row. If they had already decided to appoint him, why didn't they announce before? Was there something good in our two losses that they hadn't seen before that tipped the decision? This just further sends out a message that the club rewards failure/mediocrity which is what has been happening with player contracts the last few years.
- If he fails between now and the end of the season, it will cost us more money to sack him. Was there a negative in waiting? It's not like signing him up early saves us any money?

Positives
- No Poch
-Ah Yes... the real test.
- How dare a manager lose games unlike (enter a unbeaten manager here) who hasn't lost a game this season :rolleyes: but lets forget all the good he's done since he's been here.
- But "if" he doesn't?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He's deserved it but it could still go badly wrong unless the club backs him properly.

Hopefully we aren't back here in a years time like previous managers

Nikelesh Reddy

Wow,didn’t see this coming!!I know that there’s been a lot of talk,but I expected us to take a call at the end of the season.Anyways,needless to say that I”m delighted that one of our own is going to be our next manager.Ole has clearly demonstrated an unwavering commitment to youth and attacking football...

He also seems to be a good tactician and he radiates positivity and hope.So he does tick a lot of boxes,even though he obviously doesn’t have the resume to be managing this huge club.But we appointed managers like LVG and Jose who had gold star credentials but they still couldn’t take us back to the top.

Can Ole be “that” man??I guess we”ll find out over the next few years....But for the moment,it’s just terrific to have someone like him as our manager.All the best Ole!!Please make us proud!!GGMU!!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't think with the job he has done that he wasn't going to get the job. Beating Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea away along with the famous night in Paris, I think we all knew that he was a shoe in for the job after that.

Now it's up to the board to back him because this club needs big investment, no point giving him the job and basically expect him to produce miracles with this squad, it's still not good enough to win major competitions and there's still alot of deadwood to get rid of and I hope Ole has identified this before taking the job
It wasn't just that. They could be seen as 'flash in the pan' results. It's been the whole face of the club that he's changed: the way he faces the media, bringing the coaching staff on board, having the Utd tradition of bringing in young players,man management,getting the crowd,ex players on side. Just knowing that Utd is more about football-it's an institution

Red_Aaron

Would've been impossible not to really
He nailed it and then some

Love Ole, can't wait to see what he does with us in the summer.

BurtSpangle

Great, another year of mediocrity. Almost certainly not getting top 4 next year. The performances have been awful under Ole for weeks, very much Mourinho-like, not only that, but we have a whole host of average players and most of them will keep their place in the team because Ole feels bound to play youth products even if they're not good enough (Rashford and Lingard). Extremely disappointed, hoping to be proved wrong.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We’re basically back to where we were when Fergie retired now. Take 2. A club rebooted. Bobby Ewing turning up in the shower.

The philosophy behind this appointment is the same as it was with Moyes, the correct philosophy, except this time it’s not Moyes.

davidmichael

I’m ecstatic and announcing it now gives Ole time between now and the end of the season to know where he needs to prioritise strengthening and who he wants in so we can start negotiations deals instead of starting in the summer and the deals dragging on til the end of the transfer window.

Since Ole came in we’ve been the best team in the league (32 points from 13 games I think) and that’s been done with a team of players he had at his disposal rather than players he brought in himself, Ole has been spot on pretty much throughout all of his tenure and I believe with a big amount of money to get players he wants to fit his system we can genuinely challenge next season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Really hope he does well.. interesting time re: announcement, perhaps should have waited till end of season to see how things play out, but on plus side he can get involved with transfers properly now. Club needs a overhaul and I hope Ole shows ruthlessness.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Deserved, hopefully for you this will snowball another purple patch.
I agree with that. This will hopefully give the players a lift and a focus for the quite difficult run to the end of the season.

It is also very important that he was appointed to allow stability for the summer transfer window which I hope will be supported with sufficient funding.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why is it?
I have my doubts. I said that in his thread but now, when he is confirmed, it is not important anymore. Lets hope that he will be excellent for us.
I have bad streak regarding managers. Last two were my no1 pick and we all know how that ended. Ole wouldn't be in my top 5 choices so by that logic, he will be great:)

R'hllor

Congratz to him but think its a mistake not to appoint DoF first if thats our plan at all and not to wait end of season to actually have full picture of his work as interim manager to make a proper judgment.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Purely as United fan I'm excited and happy for him.

But with the way things have been going over the last 6 years I won't be getting too carried away, who knows how things will pan out in the next 12-18 months.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Really hope he does well.. interesting time re: announcement, perhaps should have waited till end of season to see how things play out, but on plus side he can get involved with transfers properly now. Club needs a overhaul and I hope Ole shows ruthlessness.
I think he's shown enough things to show ruthlessness.

1) Benched our 75m striker for Rashford
2) Shipped off Fellaini
3) Didn't extend Valencia's contract

meamth

Into the most exciting summer since Fergie's retirement!!!

Well done Ole, well done everyone, including the fans.

Great, another year of mediocrity. Almost certainly not getting top 4 next year. The performances have been awful under Ole for weeks, very much Mourinho-like, not only that, but we have a whole host of average players and most of them will keep their place in the team because Ole feels bound to play youth products even if they're not good enough (Rashford and Lingard). Extremely disappointed, hoping to be proved wrong.

Cloud7

Good luck to the 3rd manager United have appointed before David Moyes 6 year deal was up.
That’s why we haven’t been able to see our way properly yet, because Moyes’ contract is like a dark shadow that’s cursed OT. We’ll win the league the season after those six years are up.

GBBQ

Back to RAWK scouser you're fooling no one.

Bwuk

I'm happy with this as I assume and hope it's partly down to us wanting to start on transfer targets.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
This might be one of the worst posts I have ever seen on here.

Well done.

Vanya

A part of me still feels that Pochettino would have been the better appointment.

But I'm glad the uncertainty is over and we can focus on the football. All the best to Ole!

Last edited:

TRUERED89

I'm actually stunned by this... Are you even a United fan?
And top 4 was 11 points off under Jose, Ole is 2 points off with Jose's squad after 3 months. What makes you so confident we wont get top 4 next season with additional signings approved by Ole when hes done so well with the toxicity and turmoil that Jose left him.. Ridiculous post..
BTW since December we've been the best team in the league, the table doesn't fecking lie...

lance Jacob

As expected Ole deserves it, he has brought the smile back to the fans and those related to the club. The timing is absolutely fine which will give us the boost to push us into champions league spot. He can also start working on the transfers for next year straight away

Ole's at the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.