Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Just turned 22, scored what 7/8 goals against top 6 maybe more so far, got 5 in his last 6. If you are one of them who wants rid of him because he has not been exceptional during his development then thats your issue.

For me having a 22 year lad who can play from the left (best position) and fill in up front when required, forming a class partnership with Martial. 10 goals in 15 games for United this season plus 3 assists, thats virtually a goal or assist every game so far.

Not to shabby for someone who just has their uses hey.
Of all the players to criticise over the last few years, Rashford would be near bottom of the list for me. Sure he misses chances (all forwards do) but he gives everything for the shirt and seems to actually give a feck. Really don't understand some of our fanbase going at him, I auto ignore anyone calling him Rashford these days. Pricks. :lol:

TRUERED89

Just turned 22, scored what 7/8 goals against top 6 maybe more so far, got 5 in his last 6. If you are one of them who wants rid of him because he has not been exceptional during his development then thats your issue.

For me having a 22 year lad who can play from the left (best position) and fill in up front when required, forming a class partnership with Martial. 10 goals in 15 games for United this season plus 3 assists, thats virtually a goal or assist every game so far.

Not to shabby for someone who just has their uses hey.
If he becomes a bit more clinical, he's going to be a brilliant player. He's nailed on for 20 goals this season already!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Of all the players to criticise over the last few years, Rashford would be near bottom of the list for me. Sure he misses chances (all forwards do) but he gives everything for the shirt and seems to actually give a feck. Really don't understand some of our fanbase going at him, I auto ignore anyone calling him Rashford these days. Pricks. :lol:
That depends on the yardstick. If the yardstick is andy cole, ruud van nistelrooy, drogba, henry then yes he's too far behind. But for an academy youth who's debut is an accident and comparing to where he is now he's doing fine that lad.

Good player. Many youngster would be proud to have a career like him.

But he got to do better from here on. What he does so far is great in the 18-23 bracket. 23 and above his comparisons would be fiercer, if he commands a starting spot at united he will be judged accordingly. With ability comes expectations and all that.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That depends on the yardstick. If the yardstick is andy cole, ruud van nistelrooy, drogba, henry then yes he's too far behind. But for an academy youth who's debut is an accident and comparing to where he is now he's doing fine that lad.
All the players you mentioned though didn't really develop into exceptional strikers until their mid 20s though. Most of them only started scoring a decent amount of goals at 22. If the complaint is that he shouldn't be starting and we should have a top quality senior player instead then I can understand that argument to a degree. Where the argument falls apart is when the same poster(s) want us to give youth a chance. It's hypocritical nonsense.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
All the players you mentioned though didn't really develop into exceptional strikers until their mid 20s though. Most of them only started scoring a decent amount of goals at 22. If the complaint is that he shouldn't be starting and we should have a top quality senior player instead then I can understand that argument to a degree. Where the argument falls apart is when the same poster(s) want us to give youth a chance. It's hypocritical nonsense.
Hey. I'm not complaining about rashford... never... i think. I think he's doing fine. We just expect unrealiatistic from him

StrettyEnder07

If he becomes a bit more clinical, he's going to be a brilliant player. He's nailed on for 20 goals this season already!
Like him far more from the left behind Martial, looks his natural position, defo on for 20 goals in all comps no doubt.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If the yardstick is andy cole, ruud van nistelrooy, drogba, henry then yes he's too far behind.
None of them except Henry played in same position. Even Henry was striker than LW.

StrettyEnder07

Haha agree mate, seen some bloke having a pop at Garner, he has had one start haha unbelievable mate really is, he frustrates me at times Rash with his decision making but that will come.

Mainoldo

The one thing I'll credit him for doing is that he sees Martial as a striker and Rashford as a wide player instead of the other way around. Experienced managers like Jose and LvG did the opposite of this and it might have slowed down the development of Rashford and Martial.
I’m sure when LVG put him there it was to accommodate others so I would say he was a good example. Plus Rashford and Martial would be much better players now if they had a further two years of his coaching.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
None of them except Henry played in same position. Even Henry was striker than LW.
You get the gist. They're player that beyond reasonable doubt have proven themselves to be EPL legends, or at least veterans.

Martial can still go both ways, alot will depend on his performance from here on.

Whether he continues to blow hot and cold, or to flourish and become dependable for us in our bid to challenge for the title.

Wouldn't listen to the extremes if i were you. He's that bad and yet not that good. Let's see where this 2 years brings him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You get the gist. They're player that beyond reasonable doubt have proven themselves to be EPL legends, or at least veterans.

Martial can still go both ways, alot will depend on his performance from here on.

Whether he continues to blow hot and cold, or to flourish and become dependable for us in our bid to challenge for the title.

Wouldn't listen to the extremes if i were you. He's that bad and yet not that good. Let's see where this 2 years brings him.
Thought this was about Rashford. Also I pointed out that as people just compare their goal scoring records without considering the positions they play.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Im definitely in the stick with Ole camp for longer. There’s a clear style he’s trying to drum into the players but it’s not always seen.

The issues are the squad being extremely thin and missing our 2 best players for a big stretch.

McTominay coming on really well. Nice intervention of youth particularly Brandon Williams and Mason Greenwood.

3 new signings looking very good investments too. Interested to see who else is added in the next 6 months.

There are definite positives. Hopefully with Martial back and Pogba coming back we will continue on the upward trend.

Foxbatt

It's a positive step yesterday. Now the next game will see if we are moving in the right direction.
If I say anything people will jump up but we have to be objective too.
One thing that struck me was that we try to carry the ball too much. Certain players like Rashford, McTominay, Perriera comes to mind.
As Owen said the first goal we did everything wrong.
There were many instances if we had passed early we could have created more.
It's these little things that make a team good or mediocre. I hope Ole sees this and try to make it a team and not individuals where each try to show their own cleverness.

TRUERED89

Like him far more from the left behind Martial, looks his natural position, defo on for 20 goals in all comps no doubt.
He cant lead the line, and doesn't ever look effective with his back to goal/holding it up. So absolutely, off the left or in a 4-4-2 with him and Martial upfront is where he should be utilized.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
It's a positive step yesterday. Now the next game will see if we are moving in the right direction.
If I say anything people will jump up but we have to be objective too.
One thing that struck me was that we try to carry the ball too much. Certain players like Rashford, McTominay, Perriera comes to mind.
As Owen said the first goal we did everything wrong.

There were many instances if we had passed early we could have created more.
It's these little things that make a team good or mediocre. I hope Ole sees this and try to make it a team and not individuals where each try to show their own cleverness.
I disagree. Granted, Rashford can be a bit to greedy at times, but so far this season there have been a complete lack of penetration from midfield, partly because no one has been willing to carry the ball forward and create room for others, and have just resorted to passing it sideways or made a pass that has put a teammate under huge pressure.

Dribbling in midfield can be stupid and dangerous at times, but against team that sit deep thats a risk you have to take, because if you dont you will constantly be outnumbered 2/1 if not 3/1 in attack and that numerical disadvantage is incredibly hard to handle unless you have Messi up front

And whatever Micheal "Whichever team scores more goals usually wins." Owen has to say can be safely ignored as its most likely stupid or just plain wrong

tomaldinho1

So can the Ole Out brigade now kind of see what type of football he is attempting to play, that was a brilliant watch yesterday, pace, pressing, attacking, creativity.

Give the lad a little bit of time to get it right, more of the same please Ole, 5 wins from last 6. All the Ole/Rashford haters must be spitting feathers right now.

Pogba in for Pereira and we may well be onto something!
As someone who remains Ole out, I guess my thoughts on the game are that is was great to watch but my fear is a big part of why we looked so strong is because of how Brighton play.

My issue is Ole is he seems happy with us being a counter attacking team. If you were to pick any PL teams at the start of the season to play against and bet on us winning you would likely pick Norwich & Brighton. Teams that despite 'weaker' squads will attempt to play football, won't sit back and also try to hold onto possession. This is where we are strong, waiting for mistakes and then being fast on the counter. What I don't understand is the wild swings we see on the caf, like in your post above about people 'spitting feathers', which seem to forget our record under Ole since he was made permanent is woeful. This run just now is our best chance all season to be getting wins on the bounce, Norwich, Bournemouth, Brighton, Sheffield United & Villa. You couldn't hand pick a better run. We should celebrate a good performance and a much needed win but also not lose sight of the fact that you are posting quite a strong opinion after a win at home against Brighton.

We have to accept we are nowhere near the league leaders at the moment but at the same time front up to the fact we should not be losing regularly to clubs like Bournemouth, Newcastle, West Ham and Palace. If that was over the course of a season, it'd be fine but that's after 12 games. I'm hoping we can find some consistency now until the holidays and if these kind of performances happen against teams that sit deep, we can talk about seeing tangible signs of progress under Ole.

FYI I agree on Pogba as a 10. He understands Martial's game better than anyone (and is a real goal threat himself when on form) and I think Rashford - Martial - James is good enough as a front three for now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Question to Ole supporters.

How are Rodgers and Lampard able to instantly achieve what they have, but Solskjaer continues to be wretched after a considerably longer period of time?
Because, time and not talent makes you a great manager. And sitting next to Sir Alex. Duh!

Sterling Archer

So can the Ole Out brigade now kind of see what type of football he is attempting to play, that was a brilliant watch yesterday, pace, pressing, attacking, creativity.

Give the lad a little bit of time to get it right, more of the same please Ole, 5 wins from last 6. All the Ole/Rashford haters must be spitting feathers right now.

Let's be fair and call a duck a duck. How many times this season has it been so obvious? If it's not the majority, then I think it's fair for people to have been critical. If the results change, and the performances are consistently better then it's only fair the negativity shift to optimism.

In the meantime, it's not fair to ask folks to have blind faith in the middle of a fire.

StrettyEnder07

As someone who remains Ole out, I guess my thoughts on the game are that is was great to watch but my fear is a big part of why we looked so strong is because of how Brighton play.

My issue is Ole is he seems happy with us being a counter attacking team. If you were to pick any PL teams at the start of the season to play against and bet on us winning you would likely pick Norwich & Brighton. Teams that despite 'weaker' squads will attempt to play football, won't sit back and also try to hold onto possession. This is where we are strong, waiting for mistakes and then being fast on the counter. What I don't understand is the wild swings we see on the caf, like in your post above about people 'spitting feathers', which seem to forget our record under Ole since he was made permanent is woeful. This run just now is our best chance all season to be getting wins on the bounce, Norwich, Bournemouth, Brighton, Sheffield United & Villa. You couldn't hand pick a better run. We should celebrate a good performance and a much needed win but also not lose sight of the fact that you are posting quite a strong opinion after a win at home against Brighton.

We have to accept we are nowhere near the league leaders at the moment but at the same time front up to the fact we should not be losing regularly to clubs like Bournemouth, Newcastle, West Ham and Palace. If that was over the course of a season, it'd be fine but that's after 12 games. I'm hoping we can find some consistency now until the holidays and if these kind of performances happen against teams that sit deep, we can talk about seeing tangible signs of progress under Ole.

FYI I agree on Pogba as a 10. He understands Martial's game better than anyone (and is a real goal threat himself when on form) and I think Rashford - Martial - James is good enough as a front three for now.
Yeah not just based on one game mate, been banging on about giving Ole time for god knows how long and have taken a shed load of abuse on Twitter because of this haha, which is fine, thick skinned and all.

Agree we are set up to be far more of a counter attacking team, and when teams do sit in and put 10 behind the ball it is more difficult, although I do think you have a 4 of Rashford Martial James and Pogba behind that may change.

The weird thing is we have done well against the big sides, especially this season with 2 wins against Chelsea and the draw against the Vermin, hopefully a few wins against lower sides who do park the bus will start to show the identity more and more, a bit more consistency.

If you add in to that side/squad say a Haaland, Ziyech and Van Der Beek, it would give a bit more balance, creativity and hopefully a way of playing where we have the energy to press, we can sit back and counter and we have the creative spark to unlock sides who sit back against us, which I think is what Ole is looking to do but at the minute does not have the players to do it all.

Given the fact that Williams, Tuanzebe, McTominay, Greenwood look to be having good seasons in establishing themselves (at each level they are at, Tuanzebe imo will be first choice Cb come May, with McTominay first choice CM, the other two breaking through), I can see where Ole is going with it and am fully behind it.

The thought of say an Alegri coming in and just starting again, no interest in that at all.

StrettyEnder07

Let's be fair and call a duck a duck. How many times this season has it been so obvious? If it's not the majority, then I think it's fair for people to have been critical. If the results change, and the performances are consistently better then it's only fair the negativity shift to optimism.

In the meantime, it's not fair to ask folks to have blind faith in the middle of a fire.
Not asking for that at all mate, gotten to the point now where fans are wanting us to get beat to get rid of him, have no interest in him doing well, feeding the Glazer agenda "oh he's only in the job to be a puppet to them, he is a yes man, his tactics are this and that", some of the stuff on social media is disgraceful.

If people want to be blind as to what he is trying to do then thats up to them but I'm sick to death of seeing "fans" who are jumping over any tiny thing he does wrong and giving him zero credit whenever he does something right.

Personally love seeing Greenwood now on 3 for the season, James great buy playing well, Rashford with 10 in 15, him and Martial looking like they can form a real partnership, McTominay looking like a serious midfield player, has come on so much under Ole it is scary, Williams unbelievable, after watching Shaw & Young how much of a breath of fresh air is this young lad.

Tuanzebe as well, even small things like making him captain in the Europa game, he will be buzzing and will be a big player.

Plus all 3 of his buys have done alright so far, makes a nice change hey.

Give the bloke some time, he is on the right track

tomaldinho1

Yeah not just based on one game mate, been banging on about giving Ole time for god knows how long and have taken a shed load of abuse on Twitter because of this haha, which is fine, thick skinned and all.

Agree we are set up to be far more of a counter attacking team, and when teams do sit in and put 10 behind the ball it is more difficult, although I do think you have a 4 of Rashford Martial James and Pogba behind that may change.

The weird thing is we have done well against the big sides, especially this season with 2 wins against Chelsea and the draw against the Vermin, hopefully a few wins against lower sides who do park the bus will start to show the identity more and more, a bit more consistency.

If you add in to that side/squad say a Haaland, Ziyech and Van Der Beek, it would give a bit more balance, creativity and hopefully a way of playing where we have the energy to press, we can sit back and counter and we have the creative spark to unlock sides who sit back against us, which I think is what Ole is looking to do but at the minute does not have the players to do it all.

Given the fact that Williams, Tuanzebe, McTominay, Greenwood look to be having good seasons in establishing themselves (at each level they are at, Tuanzebe imo will be first choice Cb come May, with McTominay first choice CM, the other two breaking through), I can see where Ole is going with it and am fully behind it.

The thought of say an Alegri coming in and just starting again, no interest in that at all.
Ok understood, I was just going off that post. Allegri is also a no from me, just a senseless managerial appointment.

On the bold part This actually makes sense when you think about why we were so good against Brighton and Norwich. If a team commits men forwards, we have a decent enough structure to soak up a bit of pressure and then a very fast forward line when Rashford, Martial and James are fit. When we beat Chelsea was a great example, they had two chances and didn't take them and then we went ahead - once we're ahead, we're tough to beat because teams have to leave space for us to exploit on the counter.

Next game will be a good yardstick because Sheffield United have a very strong defensive record so far, they won't pile forward and let us have space. It's a game we should on paper win but has all the hallmarks of a banana skin with our current form.

StrettyEnder07

Ok understood, I was just going off that post. Allegri is also a no from me, just a senseless managerial appointment.

On the bold part This actually makes sense when you think about why we were so good against Brighton and Norwich. If a team commits men forwards, we have a decent enough structure to soak up a bit of pressure and then a very fast forward line when Rashford, Martial and James are fit. When we beat Chelsea was a great example, they had two chances and didn't take them and then we went ahead - once we're ahead, we're tough to beat because teams have to leave space for us to exploit on the counter.

Next game will be a good yardstick because Sheffield United have a very strong defensive record so far, they won't pile forward and let us have space. It's a game we should on paper win but has all the hallmarks of a banana skin with our current form.
Yeah 100% mate, yeah Sheff United won't be easy, very good side at home and it will show us where we are, always two steps forward one back, got Bournemouth/Newcastle written all over it, hope I'm wrong haha

The_Midfielder

Yeah 100% mate, yeah Sheff United won't be easy, very good side at home and it will show us where we are, always two steps forward one back, got Bournemouth/Newcastle written all over it, hope I'm wrong haha
Is Pogba back? Hopefully he scores a worldly ;)

Gator Nate

Question to Ole supporters.

How are Rodgers and Lampard able to instantly achieve what they have, but Solskjaer continues to be wretched after a considerably longer period of time?
Re: Rodgers - Leicester were already an up-and-comer (sort of, in a weird way) last year. People were already saying they were one of the teams ready to make the next step. And so they have, for the moment.

Re: Lampard - New manager bounce? I mean, he's only 12 league games in...

Foxbatt

I disagree. Granted, Rashford can be a bit to greedy at times, but so far this season there have been a complete lack of penetration from midfield, partly because no one has been willing to carry the ball forward and create room for others, and have just resorted to passing it sideways or made a pass that has put a teammate under huge pressure.

Dribbling in midfield can be stupid and dangerous at times, but against team that sit deep thats a risk you have to take, because if you dont you will constantly be outnumbered 2/1 if not 3/1 in attack and that numerical disadvantage is incredibly hard to handle unless you have Messi up front

And whatever Micheal "Whichever team scores more goals usually wins." Owen has to say can be safely ignored as its most likely stupid or just plain wrong
Not at all. By trying to carry the ball all the time, we run into two or three of the opposing players and lose the ball. In the mean time our other players are busting a gut to get forward and they break against us. They must pass at the right time. Passing does not mean playing back or square. The first goal Owen was spot on. Perreira should have passed it before. The same with the a couple of Rashford attempts. It was almost a certain goal or a glaring miss if he had passed a few times instead of trying to shoot himself.

SER19

Been seeing a new myth emerge on the caf recently, a few posters making comments suggesting solskjaer brings on young players now and then to boost a perception that he plays youth.

Can there be a communal effort to make this die before it takes off like the appalling 'Ferguson was tactically limited' farce.

Average age at weekend was 23, and has been more than once this season. A core line up consists of wan bissaka, mctominay, James and rashford. With Williams pushing to start. At a given time pretty much half the team is 'youth'. What exactly do people want?

Rashford is coasting to his best ever season in terms of goal return, martial looks closer to his first season form than any year since and mctominay has emerged into one of our key players.

There's enough justifiable stuff to hit solskjaer with, making shit up isn't neccesary

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Maybe if it can be replicated in many games... the glaring issue is that Brighton didn't exactly sit deep against us so we're yet to see the solution for that. Hopefully we do though

StrettyEnder07

Maybe if it can be replicated in many games... the glaring issue is that Brighton didn't exactly sit deep against us so we're yet to see the solution for that. Hopefully we do though
Hopefully mate, help with Pogba coming back at some point as Andreas/Lingard/Mata in that link between attack and defence don't provide to much creativity.

I don't think we are as far away as it is being made out, you add in even just Pogba and say Van Der Beek next to McTominay and it has a totally different feel to it.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Not at all. By trying to carry the ball all the time, we run into two or three of the opposing players and lose the ball. In the mean time our other players are busting a gut to get forward and they break against us. They must pass at the right time. Passing does not mean playing back or square. The first goal Owen was spot on. Perreira should have passed it before. The same with the a couple of Rashford attempts. It was almost a certain goal or a glaring miss if he had passed a few times instead of trying to shoot himself.
Fair enough about the goal, that was pretty lucky in the end, but attempting a shot from that range is no disaster either.

And i know what you mean and especially Rashford and Scott get a serious case of tunnel vision from time to time. I am not talking about some Messiesque run where our midfielders are supposed to dribble past their entire midfield, but just taking it past one player or finding those small pockets of space can be enough to create a numerical advantage or open up space for others. In my opinion, the reason we have missed Pogba the most is not because of defense splitting passes (that too), but mostly because hes really good at carrying the ball forward and opening up space for others, either by shielding the ball or by a simple dribble.

I rewatched some extended highlights from our worse games this season and the lack of penetration from central areas became a huge problem vs those teams that just sat deep. Since Fred and Pereira had no confidence/ability to go past players, the other teams just double marked McTomminay and that completely stifled our midfield. That in turn either forced us wide or had us hitting hopeful long passes from deep, which are pretty easy to defend against when you have a settled defensive shape.

Yesterday though, where Fred probably had his best game in a United shirt he was much more confident with the ball at his feet and not only did he find those small pockets of space, but he also had the courage to move past defensive lines. That in turn meant he created space for himself, and both the first and the third goal was started when he hit a nice pass from deep. Its not very eye catching, but its those small things that imo separates a shite CM performance from a good one

ManuMou

I am so glad Ole has finally dropped The trio of Ashley Young, Mata and Lingard. He needs to be more ruthless like this and take risk as appropriate.

Judas

Open to offers
Been seeing a new myth emerge on the caf recently, a few posters making comments suggesting solskjaer brings on young players now and then to boost a perception that he plays youth.

Can there be a communal effort to make this die before it takes off like the appalling 'Ferguson was tactically limited' farce.

Average age at weekend was 23, and has been more than once this season. A core line up consists of wan bissaka, mctominay, James and rashford. With Williams pushing to start. At a given time pretty much half the team is 'youth'. What exactly do people want?

Rashford is coasting to his best ever season in terms of goal return, martial looks closer to his first season form than any year since and mctominay has emerged into one of our key players.

There's enough justifiable stuff to hit solskjaer with, making shit up isn't neccesary
They're not the young players people they want. Some would much rather have the youngsters who they've never actually properly seen play get game time instead.

Ole is doing well with youth, and for the most part, managing the youngsters well. I've not liked his handling of a few, but for the most part he's done good.

Shark

@NotShark
I am so glad Ole has finally dropped The trio of Ashley Young, Mata and Lingard. He needs to be more ruthless like this and take risk as appropriate.
The three of them need to be shipped out and replaced with players that can actually make an impact off the bench. Being able to bring on players that can change a game is key to any successful squad.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
How did they not sit deep? They had higher possession owing to United playing on the counter after half time but they barely even played any football apart from a 5 minute spell.

RedCurry

He's shared the dressing room with top players in his career. He knows a good player from a dud. I pretty much expected Lingard to be dropped in favor of James before the start of the season. I also expected Sanchez to hardly see any game time this season, and he's gone as well. Smalling was our most senior CB, he's English but that didn't stop Ole from letting him leave.

I don't think Ole finds anyone undroppable in this United squad, barring maybe Pogba when he's fit.

StrettyEnder07

Think with them 3 they have only really played as not much alternative. Shaw being Shaw and spending months on end not being available so Young has had to play at left back obviously that might be less now that Williams has taken his chance.

With Pogba being out, Fred is showing a little bit of better form but that No. 10, where I think he will play Pogba when he returns, is a weak link.

I would have liked to have seen Gomes given a chance there but something seems to be going on with him behind the scenes. Pereira is pretty average think we can all agree as is Lingard. Mata is to slow now for the tempo of the game so he is trying to make do with what he has available, I think they are all on the list to go the same way as Matic just at the moment he needs them.

Love how he has been ruthless with Jones Smalling Matic etc. and is ousting the ones not good enough (although I feel putting Young in that group as he gives his all and has been a decent servant to the club).

Status
Not open for further replies.