Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrettyEnder07

For the love of Christ, can we stop this rubbish as it exists only in the Man United folklore - What does love the club and knows it inside out even mean? Is this a prerequisite for success or an essential managerial nous ingredient? It's ridiculous.
I see you aint arguing about the other points, which he is pretty bang on about.

And it is nice seeing a manager with a bit of fecking passion for the club, agree it is not the same kind of passion shown by Jose with his miserable head and hating his job 23 hours a day, while living in a hotel, or Moyes aspiring to be like City even though we were champions at the time.

LVG loved his passion so won't include him on the list.

Why is Ole being slagged off for having some god dam passion about the club.

lRed

Why is this brought up all the time with no context? When he got there in January Cardiff had won 3/20 games and were rock bottom in the table. Them hiring Ole in the first place was a pretty desperate move

And Molde is far from the strongest or richest side in Norway. Since 1990, RBK has won the league 18 times. They are the Bayern Munich of Norway and then some
Because it feeds their agenda.

Kemizee

I see you aint arguing about the other points, which he is pretty bang on about.

And it is nice seeing a manager with a bit of fecking passion for the club, agree it is not the same kind of passion shown by Jose with his miserable head and hating his job 23 hours a day, while living in a hotel, or Moyes aspiring to be like City even though we were champions at the time.

Everyone says something ridiculous at one point or the other. Didn't Ole talk about 'Norwich being difficult' recently or something like that?

I don't know how you define passion but I rarely see that in him. Mourinho was toxic and negative for us but on the sidelines you could sometimes see his energy and boisterous nature.

Ole always comes across as taciturn and dour a lot of times. That by the way has no bearing on his managerial credentials as being outwardly passionate does not translate to being a good manager.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Ole legend of a player, garbage coach / manager. Either you support Ole or support the club, he's made this distinction because our records this season and the finale of the last is atrocious. It's pathetic that people think the pendulum has swung because we beat Brighton at home despite losing to Bournemouth the prior fixture.
Are they mutually exclusive now?

Guess we have to tell the traveling fans and the guys at Stretford End to feck off since they are obviously not supporting the club any longer

StrettyEnder07

Everyone says something ridiculous at one point or the other. Didn't Ole talk about 'Norwich being difficult' recently or something like that?

I don't know how you define passion but I rarely see that in him. Mourinho was toxic and negative for us but on the sidelines you could sometimes see his energy and boisterous nature.

Ole always comes across as taciturn and dour a lot of times. That by the way has no bearing on his managerial credentials as being outwardly passionate does not translate to being a good manager.
Yeah it means feck all being passion in relation to your managerial qualifications but it is nice to see a manager who gives a shit about the club, look at Pep, Kloop and a few of the others, love a bit of passion me, yeah he sits there in the rain and don't jump about like a bell like Klopp but after the game, how he is with the players with the fans, I love that, passion and you can see what it means, look at his interview after Bournemouth, see it is killing him, what you want.

To be fair Norwich had just smashed City at home so he wasn't wrong to think they might raise their game against us at home.

podurban2

Ole legend of a player, garbage coach / manager. Either you support Ole or support the club, he's made this distinction because our records this season and the finale of the last is atrocious. It's pathetic that people think the pendulum has swung because we beat Brighton at home despite losing to Bournemouth the prior fixture.
:lol:

Bobcat

The "loves the club" and "knows the club" is another way of people wanting to desperately cling to the past and to keep the Fergie legacy alive for as long as possible, instead of just moving on and getting with the times.

People shouldn't be afraid of change, it can actually be positive.
We've had more than enough change the last 6 years. Chopping and changing of the squad, new managers with new ideas and new agendas every 2 years. What we need now is stability. Hope to God the Rangnick rumors are true because we have been a ship without a captain for 6 years now

passing-wind

Are they mutually exclusive now?

Guess we have to tell the traveling fans and the guys at Stretford End to feck off since they are obviously not supporting the club any longer
They might as well become mutually exclusive when you consider the ambitions the fans are representing of the club under Ole. What's that ? Five transfer windows and millions of pounds spent before Solskjaer can be measured to be successful in his job role ? it's unheard of. Considering the stature of our club would any of Barcelona / Madrid offer this type of incentive to a manager who's unproven.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol:

StrettyEnder07

Well I support the pair of them, whats the issue, why is it one or the other?

Bobcat

They might as well become mutually exclusive when you consider the ambitions the fans are representing of the club under Ole. What's that ? Five transfer windows and millions of pounds spent before Solskjaer can be measured to be successful in his job role ? it's unheard of. Considering the stature of our club would any of Barcelona / Madrid offer this type of incentive to a manager who's unproven.
No. That's insane. If he had gotten 5 windows and spend millions without a single shred of progress everyone would have wanted him gone. Right now hes had exactly one preseaons and and one window to try and fix a mess of biblical proportions. Last season is a throwaway. He went on a record breaking winning streak because the players were elated to be rid of Jose and it all came crashing down at the end of the season because fitness levels were shit and everyone was getting injured left and right

This season we've had some ups and downs to put it mildly, but despite some really bad results and even worse performances there are some positive signs. Transfers (both in and out) have been good, players look happy, we work harder both in attack and defense, youth players are getting chances, our squad (if you remove the dinos) is the youngest in the league by far and amid the shitty performances there are some really good ones like Liverpool, Chelsea and Norwich

There is no "cult of Ole" who secretly wants to see the club go down just because we want our favorite ex-player in the chair. Hes not the best manager in the world, but considering the circumstances of it all i think hes doing a fairly decent job and changing manager now could be much more harmful to the overall health of the club than any shite league position could

StrettyEnder07

No. That's insane. If he had gotten 5 windows and spend millions without a single shred of progress everyone would have wanted him gone. Right now hes had exactly one preseaons and and one window to try and fix a mess of biblical proportions. Last season is a throwaway. He went on a record breaking winning streak because the players were elated to be rid of Jose and it all came crashing down at the end of the season because fitness levels were shit and everyone was getting injured left and right

This season we've had some ups and downs to put it mildly, but despite some really bad results and even worse performances there are some positive signs. Transfers (both in and out) have been good, players look happy, we work harder both in attack and defense, youth players are getting chances, our squad (if you remove the dinos) is the youngest in the league by far and amid the shitty performances there are some really good ones like Liverpool, Chelsea and Norwich

There is no "cult of Ole" who secretly wants to see the club go down just because we want our favorite ex-player in the chair. Hes not the best manager in the world, but considering the circumstances of it all i think hes doing a fairly decent job and changing manager now could be much more harmful to the overall health of the club than any shite league position could
He won't understand a word of this mate, guarantee he is a #OleOut agenda lover from Twitter haha your points are spot on mate his are pretty much laughable

Handré1990

This post is a train wreck.

wrinklydong

Exactly, for the reasons above some of us still has time for Ole. The inbound players are excellent buys but unfortunately still too thin, pretty sure Ole would prefer a few more but Ed took his time and we ended up with only 3.

Alabaster Codify7

This post is a train wreck.

You don't think the pendulum thing is remotely valid?

After we beat Norwich (19th) 1-3, we had the same claims the tide had turned, followed by a disgraceful performance and a 1-0 loss at a midtable Bournemouth.

You can't see why a lot of fans see this as just another false dawn? There is an equal amount of blind delusion on either side of the coin when it comes to our fanbase.

el3mel

I see nothing wrong in this post bar the bold part.

Handré1990

After we beat Norwich (19th) 1-3, we had the same claims the tide had turned, followed by a disgraceful performance and a 1-0 loss at a midtable Bournemouth.

You can't see why a lot of fans see this as just another false dawn? There is an equal amount of blind delusion on either side of the coin when it comes to our fanbase.
If I say humans have nothing to do with climate change, and then follow up with saying pollution is bad, which part would you focus on?

ReddBalls

On the other hand, all progress include setbacks. There's validity in both perspectives.

el3mel

There’s no such thing as half an idiot (the post, not the poster, I don’t know him personally so wouldn’t assume anything about him/her).
He's wrong in the notion those supporting Ole don't support the club but his other point is really logical. We beat Brighton and we're currently 7th. We lost the previous league game before it. We're not on a winning run in the league so far. Of course we all hope we'll go on a run and it won't be a false down, but he said nothing wrong re the major point.

Handré1990

He's wrong in the notion those supporting Ole don't support the club but his other point is really logical. We beat Brighton and we're currently 7th. We lost the previous league game before it. We're not on a winning run in the league so far. Of course we all hope we'll go on a run and it won't be a false down, but he said nothing wrong re the major point.
Look, I am still Ole out, but I can understand why some see the last two games as progress. Football is kind of like perishables in your fridge, it turns quickly. If you disagree with someone you don’t start acting like a fecking fascist and draw lines like if you’re not with me you’re against me. That mentalitet doesn’t do anyone any good on a football discussion forum. Who is that poster to tell people they’re against the club because they still support the manager?

I really can’t fathom why this needs explaining. If I had the same mentality as that poster I’d be tempted to conclude that it says a lot about you who thought it prudent to defend it. Alas I know it’s futile, because the only information I have about you is what you are willing to share through what you write on here.

el3mel

Look, I am still Ole out, but I can understand why some see the last two games as progress. Football is kind of like perishables in your fridge, it turns quickly. If you disagree with someone you don’t start acting like a fecking fascist and draw lines like if you’re not with me you’re against me. That mentalitet doesn’t do anyone any good on a football discussion forum. Who is that poster to tell people they’re against the club because they still support the manager?

I really can’t fathom why this needs explaining. If I had the same mentality as that poster I’d be tempted to conclude that it says a lot about you who thought it prudent to defend it. Alas I know it’s futile, because the only information I have about you is what you are willing to share through what you write on here.
I said he was wrong with that.

Handré1990

I said he was wrong with that.
Still you assumed you needed to point out that, except that aggressive, confrontational, illogical and divisive start to the post, the rest was A-OK? If he’d just kept to things football related I wouldn’t have called it a train wreck, now would I?

el3mel

Still you assumed you needed to point out that, except that aggressive, confrontational, illogical and divisive start to the post, the rest was A-OK? If he’d just kept to things football related I wouldn’t have called it a train wreck, now would I?
It can irritate anyone talking with him I agree. Though I prefer to analyze the full post and points being made and see the terrible ones and decent one. However I'm talking from a third person view so maybe if I was in the spot of the person talking to him, I might have got irritated and put him on the ignore. Perspectives after all.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Mess of biblical proportions...

steve.crowford

I have criticised Ole when he does things wrong. But I do not agree with the criticism of OLE when it comes to signings. I've heard people say they are "obvious" signings. But if these "obvious" signings hadn't done well, he would be criticised for it wouldn't he? So it works both ways. Ole clearly has targets in mind on who he wants. If Ed Woodward doesn't deliver them, he doesn't settle for alternative targets and panic buy. That much is clear from the summer. I always get reminded of the Virgil Van Dijk saga. Liverpool's defence needed fixing and Klopp knew it, and they couldn't get him in the summer, he didn't go for anyone else and waited and got him in January. I'm not saying our recruitment level is the same as Liverpool's. All I'm saying is Ole clearly has players he wants. Liverpool's director was competent and got the player for Klopp. Ed Woodward and the board need to do the same. We clearly want James Maddison, Jadon Sancho. Maddison is possible if we throw money at Leicester and he is a United fan as well. Sancho idk. We will see. As for other midfield targets, idk who we will bring in. There is the issue of replacing Paul Pogba as well. Idk if Sean Longstaff will be a great player. I would like for us to sign someone from the continent for half the price like a Sandro Tonali, a Florentino Luis, Soumare. The two upcoming windows are very important for Manchester United Football Club. Ole has to get results in the meantime mind you. No point in talking about building in the windows if he goes and drops points in the next 5 games. 12 pts should be the minimum target in the next 5 games.

Handré1990

It can irritate anyone talking with him I agree. Though I prefer to analyze the full post and points being made and see the terrible ones and decent one. However I'm talking from a third person view so maybe if I was in the spot of the person talking to him, I might have got irritated and put him on the ignore. Perspectives after all.
Good for you. I don’t have any time for people or posters who start with stuff like that. We have enough world leaders in the media acting this way, so you’ll have to excuse me for wanting more from a moderated United forum when discussing with fellow United fans.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I have criticised Ole when he does things wrong. But I do not agree with the criticism of OLE when it comes to signings. I've heard people say they are "obvious" signings. But if these "obvious" signings hadn't done well, he would be criticised for it wouldn't he? So it works both ways. Ole clearly has targets in mind on who he wants. If Ed Woodward doesn't deliver them, he doesn't settle for alternative targets and panic buy. That much is clear from the summer. I always get reminded of the Virgil Van Dijk saga. Liverpool's defence needed fixing and Klopp knew it, and they couldn't get him in the summer, he didn't go for anyone else and waited and got him in January. I'm not saying our recruitment level is the same as Liverpool's. All I'm saying is Ole clearly has players he wants. Liverpool's director was competent and got the player for Klopp. Ed Woodward and the board need to do the same. We clearly want James Maddison, Jadon Sancho. Maddison is possible if we throw money at Leicester and he is a United fan as well. Sancho idk. We will see. As for other midfield targets, idk who we will bring in. There is the issue of replacing Paul Pogba as well. Idk if Sean Longstaff will be a great player. I would like for us to sign someone from the continent for half the price like a Sandro Tonali, a Florentino Luis, Soumare. The two upcoming windows are very important for Manchester United Football Club. Ole has to get results in the meantime mind you. No point in talking about building in the windows if he goes and drops points in the next 5 games. 12 pts should be the minimum target in the next 5 games.
120m for 2 defender.

He better got that right for that price

Zen86

There’s no such thing as an “obvious” signing. This is just lazy criticism applied in hindsight.

90 + 5min

Comedy club. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The "loves the club" and "knows the club" is another way of people wanting to desperately cling to the past and to keep the Fergie legacy alive for as long as possible, instead of just moving on and getting with the times.

People shouldn't be afraid of change, it can actually be positive.
You are right. We should not be afraid of changes. That's why we are going from top managers like vanGaal and Mourinho to Solskjaer who is here to prove his worth. That's why we are going for some sort of plan instead of trying for instant success. That's why we should give manager time instead of kicking him out. Every aspect of the game is improving under Solskjaer. Now we got to find a couple of right players that can take us towards titles.

Disgraceful? If I recall, we should have been 2,3.0 up after 10 minutes if Pereira had some sort of feeling in the foot that day. Bournmouth didn't create to much beside that goal. While we were all over them. To call it disraceful is like saying Liverpool last season were bad because they didn't won Premier League.

ScarleyUtd

For the love of Christ, can we stop this rubbish as it exists only in the Man United folklore - What does 'loves the club and knows it inside out even mean' ? Is this a prerequisite for success or an essential managerial nous ingredient? He is on a salary just like any other manager and they are supposed to be professionals in the discharge of their duties no matter what club they are coaching . It's ridiculous.
I have it as one factor in a list of 7. If I had only that factor, there's a small chance you wouldn't be talking utter bollox.

So passion for where you work isn't a factor? Busby and Ferguson count for nothing then. Their passion for the club, and it's history, had nothing at all to do with their success? Righto. Folklore is important btw, it builds a club. Jesus, the amount soulless haters on here. I wonder why you bother supporting the club at all.

ScarleyUtd

So he has to be jumping around like a loon now. :lol::rolleyes:

ScarleyUtd

Laughable isn't it? And now the guy is saying he isn't outwardly passionate enough....deary me....

el3mel

I have it as one factor in a list of 7. If I had only that factor, there's a small chance you wouldn't be talking utter bollox.

So passion for where you work isn't a factor? Busby and Ferguson count for nothing then. Their passion for the club, and it's history, had nothing at all to do with their success? Righto. Folklore is important btw, it builds a club. Jesus, the amount soulless haters on here. I wonder why you bother supporting the club at all.
"Loves the club and knows inside" is a nothing and honestly a bollox reason to be including anywhere, be one of many factors or the only one it doesn't matter, it shouldn't be a factor. Really weird you are mentioning Ferguson as if he was loving the club and knowing the inside of it before he was actually hired from Aberdeen. Did Klopp loved Liverpool and knew the inside of it before being appointed? Nothing reason.

And saying "soulless haters" on logical reasoning is really lame.

ScarleyUtd

Flaws? The actual football we play. There is no imprint of a potentially great manager that I can see, and he's nearly been here for a year now. With Ole to me it seems simple. He has all the right intentions - he wants us play exciting football, bed youth in and eventually win titles. But sadly he just isn't good enough a manager from what I've seen. I mean, if tomorrow Big Sam adopts the footballing virtues that excite Barcelona fans (Pep/Cruyff), it doesn't mean he's doing to be fit for the job. So yeah, Ole has the right intentions but not the quality IMO.
Ok so until he wins something he won't judged be a success. Can you see anyone disagreeing with that? However this is getting back to how the club have always operated and had long term success from. After 6 years of mismanagement – and that isn't just about the manager.

ScarleyUtd

"Loves the club and knows inside" is a nothing and honestly a bollox reason to be including anywhere, be one of many factors or the only one it doesn't matter, it shouldn't be a factor. Really weird you are mentioning Ferguson as if he was loving the club and knowing the inside of it before he was actually hired from Aberdeen. Did Klopp loved Liverpool and knew the inside of it before being appointed? Nothing reason.

And saying "soulless haters" on logical reasoning is really lame.
You don't have to be an ex-player, you're completely missing the point.

Ferguson knew and respected Busby, who is the club pretty much. And wanted to emulate him and this was part of his success. It also took him six years to make the club his and he approached it the same way Busby did – into every aspect, inside out. And now Ole is approaching it the same way. Whether it will work or not who knows? But it's in the mould of the great managers we've had before.

Klopp – you're just proving my point, a passionate guy who I bet is into every aspect of the club. In fact we should have had him here and at the time many were saying it.

So yes, obviously, passion for the club is a vital ingredient.

Soulless haters – you need to check back at some of the shite spouted about Ole on this thread. That is truly lame.

el3mel

What utter shite. You don't have to be an ex-player, you're completely missing the point.

Ferguson knew and respected Busby, who is the club pretty much. And wanted to emulate him and this was part of his success. It also took him six years to make the club his and he approached it the same way Busby did – into every aspect, inside out. And now Ole is approaching it the same way. Whether it will work or not who knows? But it's in the mould of the great managers we've had before.

Klopp – you're just proving my point, a passionate guy who I bet is into every aspect of the club. In fact we'd should have had him here and at the time many were saying it.

So yes, obviously, passion for the club is a vital ingredient.

Soulless haters – you need to check back at some of the shite spouted about Ole on this thread. That is truly lame.
I get it you have nothing to do in this thread except spreading insults left, right and center toward anyone arguing with your lame points ?

Anyway that's the one of the requirements you mentioned in your earlier post :

Good signings – defo.
Improvement in underperforming players – yes.
Wants to play attacking football – yes.
Has shipped out a lot of the deadwood everyone has been complaining about for years – yes.
Exciting focus on youth – yes.
Loves the club and knows it inside out – yes.
A sense of direction – yes.

In contention for the top 4 – no.

But I'd take the first seven any day if we want to rebuild long term. Otherwise we'll lurch from one big name who doesn't get the club, to the next. Like we have since Ferguson.
So did Ferguson and Klopp know the inside out of their clubs before they got hired ? Did Wenger know the inside out of Arsenal when he was hired ? I can go on with loads of examples to prove such requirement is lame and shouldn't exist in any list of requirements of any manager.

But instead you're now trying to shift goalposts from what you initially wrote and switch it to being "passionate about his job and for the club". Maybe memorize what you write first.

ScarleyUtd

I get it you have nothing to do in this thread except spreading insults left, right and center toward anyone arguing with your lame points ?

Anyway that's the one of the requirements you mentioned in your earlier post :

So did Ferguson and Klopp know the inside out of their clubs before they got hired ? Did Wenger know the inside out of Arsenal when he was hired ? I can go on with loads of examples to prove such requirement is lame and shouldn't exist in any list of requirements of any manager.

But instead you're now trying to shift goalposts from what you initially wrote and switch it to being "passionate about his job and for the club". Maybe memorize what you write first.
See my previous post....

Love for the club isn't a factor in success is what you're saying. Yet Wenger had it, Klopp also has it. But there's no point arguing with stupid....

You're being insulting yourself, so a stupid hypocrite at that.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We've won 5 of the last 6 matches. Just putting that out there. In other universes, thats pretty good, but not this one

Status
Not open for further replies.