Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

Of course, at least I am desperate to see us make an inevitable decision to sack him and get a proper manager, not someone whose biggest quality as a manager is smiling.
Dunno even why you jumped on me.

Un4givableB

Of course, at least I am desperate to see us make an inevitable decision to sack him and get a proper manager, not someone whose biggest quality as a manager is smiling.
Unfortunately, half our fanbase seem to think sticking to this hair shirt of a manager somehow makes them better fans.

90 + 5min

Not this again. We tried good managers and it didn't work (they both won trophies), so let's try a woefully under qualified one who was relegated in his only PL job. Preposterously stupid logic.
As long as people have a go at Ole with no understanding why it looks like this and what we are trying to do then yes. This again. Underqualified? So who is qualified? As I told you we had the best and that is not always the answer.

The Bloody-Nine

As long as people have a go at Ole with no understanding why it looks like this and what we are trying to do then yes. This again. Underqualified? So who is qualified? As I told you we had the best and that is not always the answer.
If a good manager doesn't work, you try another good manager. Ideally, an even better one. What you don't do is appoint the Molde manager because he used to play for us.

Alabaster Codify7

If a good manager doesn't work, you try another good manager. Ideally, an even better one. What you don't do is appoint the Molde manager because he used to play for us.

It really is that simple. Think about the caretaker managers we could have had, if the English league was off-season at the time of Jose's sacking.

Steve Bruce.

He's no less qualified than Ole, and just as big of a part of our history. He's way more proven in the PL.

90 + 5min

So you keep changing managers every year if you don't win? What a beutifle concept. Isn't it?

What you do is try to go back to basics and not countinue to making same mistakes over and over again. It's like banging your head against a wall and wondering why it hurts. And instead of checking the root to the problem you are changing the wall and keep banging.

The Bloody-Nine

So you keep changing managers every year if you don't win? What a beutifle concept. Isn't it?

What you do is try to go back to basics and not countinue to making same mistakes over and over again. It's like banging your head against a wall and wondering why it hurst. And instead of checking the root to the problem you are changing the wall and keep banging.
You don't appoint a woefully under qualified manager like Ole in the first place. I thought I was quite clear on that. Answer me this. When Jose was sacked, was Ole in your top 10 choices to replace him? In fact, top 20? Be honest, please.

Mainoldo

What you do is try to go back to basics and not countinue to making same mistakes over and over again. It's like banging your head against a wall and wondering why it hurts. And instead of checking the root to the problem you are changing the wall and keep banging.
Barcelona change managers every 3 years sometimes less.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
So the much hyped (on here) Lampard loses to West Ham at Home and Guardiola can't beat Newcastle today.

Might be worth bearing in mind for those that think we should brush such teams aside with injury depleted squads.

Zen86

Not this again. We tried good managers and it didn't work (they both won trophies), so let's try a woefully under qualified one who was relegated in his only PL job. Preposterously stupid logic.
The stupid logic is trying the same thing over and over again and hoping for another outcome. Oh, but the next super qualified manager will definitely work out...

90 + 5min

You don't appoint a woefully under qualified manager like Ole in the first place. I thought I was quite clear on that. Answer me this. When Jose was sacked, was Ole in your top 10 choices to replace him? In fact, top 20? Be honest, please.
He wasn't and I have no problem saying that. What I knew was that new manager would have ton of problems to deal with. Ole has done lot of good things and that is why I still stand by his side. I liked and still like Mourinho but knew that it would be better for the club that he left. So I have no problems with feelings and as soon as Ole is taking club backwards I would want some changes. But for now I see progress as a team and as a club looking at previous 2-3 years. I wrote before that it will be up and down results but most important is that there is a progress. There a lot of better managers than Ole in the world. But are they better for ManUtd?

You keep saying under qualified? That is your own judgement. I ask you again. Who is qualified? And on what basis?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You are talking about the same person who threatened to sub every single player on the pitch during half-time, yeah?

But speaking about psychology majors. Did you know that "only focus on the positives" is a freshman lesson about a winners personality?

THAT BEING SAID. I'm pretty sure Ole has learned how to be a winner at Manchester United. You know, with all the trophies won with the club and whatnot.
Seems like things they spout at snake oil salesman training camp. I doubt you even know what "winners mentality" is if you think Ole is showing any of those as manager

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Well... signing super stars Di Maria, BFS, Depay, Veron, has proven to be a failure. Let's try and sign championship players only.
"I went to an expensive restaurant and the food tasted weird, let's only eat canned foods from now on"

The Bloody-Nine

He wasn't and I have no problem saying that. What I knew was that new manager would have ton of problems to deal with. Ole has done lot of good things and that is why I still stand by his side. I liked and still like Mourinho but knew that it would be better for the club that he left. So I have no problems with feelings and as soon as Ole is taking club backwards I would want some changes. But for now I see progress as a team and as a club looking at previous 2-3 years. I wrote before that it will be up and down results but most important is that there is a progress. There a lot of better managers than Ole in the world. But are they better for ManUtd?

You keep saying under qualified? That is your own judgement. I ask you again. Who is qualified? And on what basis?
Who is qualified? Managers with a consistent track record of success at the highest level, ideally.

The manager of Molde, who was relegated in his only PL job, and sacked before he repeated the feat in the championship, is not qualified. Not even close.

You concede that you wouldn't even have considered Ole to be given the job. Congratulations, you are more astute when it comes to footballing matters than Ed Woodward. Now, with that in mind, why does Ole deserve time?

Zen86

Well... signing super stars Di Maria, BFS, Depay, Veron, has proven to be a failure. Let's try and sign championship players only.
Well, our approach to transfers certainly needed to change, or do you think we have done well over the last few years?

The Bloody-Nine

When Solskjaer eventually gets the sack we should exclude ex-players and novices too. You know, because madness is trying the same thing but expecting a different outcome. Maybe we shouldn't sign anyone, let Woodward pick the team. We haven't tried that yet.
I nominate Zen86. What's the worst that could happen?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Well, our approach to transfers certainly needed to change, or do you think we have done well over the last few years?
Changes? Yes.

By improving the selection process, not stupidly refuse to sign another top manager because the previous 2 doesn't work. For what its worth, Jose works in my eyes (2nd and Europa cup with our squad is indeed a job well done. can't expect him to beat the GOAT city team).

Plus, going for championship rejects ex legend Ole works for us eh?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ok, so OGS comes to the press conference and he sits there acting all snarky and negative like you.

What does he accomplish?
Ha ha, my favourite excuse in last 12 months here on caf; if you are against Ole you are negative.
When Solskjaer eventually gets the sack we should exclude ex-players and novices too. You know, because madness is trying the same thing but expecting a different outcome. Maybe we shouldn't sign anyone, let Woodward pick the team. We haven't tried that yet.
Well, he can't be worse than Ole i guess

90 + 5min

Who is qualified? Managers with a consistent track record of success at the highest level, ideally.

The manager of Molde, who was relegated in his only PL job, and sacked before he repeated the feat in the championship, is not qualified. Not even close.

You concede that you wouldn't even have considered Ole to be given the job. Congratulations, you are more astute when it comes to footballing matters than Ed Woodward. Now, with that in mind, why does Ole deserve time?
You are still not answering my question. Who is qualified?

Did I consider Ronaldo to ManUtd while he was at Sporting? Did I consider Sir Alex while he was at Aberdeen? Did I consider young 92-class getting in our first team meaning players like McClair, Ince, McClair, Dublin would be sold and so on? Or I should say. Did You?

He deserves time because he is doing good job with this team.

The Bloody-Nine

Did I consider Ronaldo to ManUtd while he was at Sporting? Did I consider Sir Alex while he was at Aberdeen? Did I consider young 92-class getting in our first team meaning players like McClair, Ince, McClair, Dublin would be sold and so on? Or I should say. Did You?

No, he isn't. We're 9th. No idea why you mentioned Ronaldo. Or any other of the players.

SAF was a young manager who broke the Old Firm stranglehold in Scotland AND won a European trophy with Aberdeen. Of course he deserved it.

EDIT if you want the name of a manager way more qualified than Ole, Allegri, for one. It's not exactly difficult.

Alabaster Codify7

Your bitterness is quite something, I can almost taste your tears.

Imagine taking pleasure from your football's team abject mediocrity and descent into the lower half of the league. Bizarre. You arent gonna win this moral argument mate, Ole won't be here next season so you're sort of wasting your time backing this dead horse.

Anustart89

You consider losses against Astana (youth team, granted), Newcastle, Bournemouth, West Ham, Palace and draws against Wolves, Southampton, Rochdale, AZ, Sheffield United over the course of less than half a season a good job for a Manchester United manager?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The stupid logic is trying the same thing over and over again and hoping for another outcome. Oh, but the next super qualified manager will definitely work out...
Yes, it's becuase a qualified person failed let's go for incompetence. Terrific logic.

Shark

@NotShark

Please explain the good job he's doing with this team? We're conceding goals left, right and center and relying on 10 minutes of individual brilliance to scrape a draw against a newly promoted side. We've gone backwards since Jose's sacking, not forwards.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

Any manager that understands tactics would be a good start. After a year with Ole at the wheel his only tactic seems to be, give it to our fast forwards. Surely there's more to football than that? With the odd exception like Liverpool in the first half or the cup game against Chelski he hasn't showed anything near good enough to be our manager. The first 70 minutes against Sheffield were a disgrace and the worrying thing is it wasn't a one off.

To say he's doing a good job with this team is just wrong.

Gazza

“He’s doing a good job with this team”
“We’ve tried hiring proven managers before and that didn’t work so let’s not try that again”

Painful to read. I’m not blind to the issues that go beyond the manager, but the rationale presented for keeping with him is actually stupefying.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

“He’s doing a good job with this team”
“We’ve tried hiring proven managers before and that didn’t work so let’s not try that again”

Painful to read. I’m not blind to the issues that go beyond the manager, but the rationale presented for keeping with him is actually stupefying.
The flavour of the day is that both City & Chelsea dropped points against Newcastle & WHU respectively, so there's nothing wrong with us not winning against these sides too. The fact that said teams have played far better football, they have won far more matches and have scored far more goals than us, should be irrelevant. Apparently, we shouldn't expect to beat anyone until the rebuilding job is complete.

Zen86

Imagine taking pleasure from your football's team abject mediocrity and descent into the lower half of the league. Bizarre. You arent gonna win this moral argument mate, Ole won't be here next season so you're sort of wasting your time backing this dead horse.
I take no such pleasure, which is more than can be said about some of the Ole out brigade getting their jollies on every time we lose.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ha ha, my favourite excuse in last 12 months here on caf; if you are against Ole you are negative.

Well, he can't be worse than Ole i guess
I'm still waiting for an answer to my question: Why do you imagine that being negative in a press conference is going to have any type of positive impact on the playergroup?

And for that matter: There is a distinct difference between being against a manager, and being a complaintfountain that rivals the supervolcano under Yellowstone

0le

The logic only holds if the circumstances are the same. So if you carry out an experiment with all conditions the same and then expect a different outcome, this is illogical. With Mourinho and LvG, the circumstances of the team and their sackings were different, so it is reasonable to expect a different outcome if another high profile manager was hired.

Zen86

Changes? Yes.

By improving the selection process, not stupidly refuse to sign another top manager because the previous 2 doesn't work. For what its worth, Jose works in my eyes (2nd and Europa cup with our squad is indeed a job well done. can't expect him to beat the GOAT city team).

Plus, going for championship rejects ex legend Ole works for us eh?

Yeah, Jose was really a success story here. I genuinely think you would be devastated if Ole turned things.

Zen86

The logic only holds if the circumstances are the same. So if you carry out an experiment with all conditions the same and then expect a different outcome, this is illogical. With Mourinho and LvG, the circumstances of the team and their sackings were different, so it is reasonable to expect a different outcome.
Not really, they both spent lots of money for short term success, achieved very little, and served up some pretty awful football.

0le

Not really, they both spent lots of money for short term success, achieved very little, and served up some pretty awful football.
But both had completely different ideologies. If you hired a third experienced manager with a pressing style, would you also reject him based simply on the fact he is "experienced and it wouldn't work"?

Zen86

But both had completely different ideologies. If you hired a third experienced manager with a pressing style, would you also reject him based simply on the fact he is "experienced and it wouldn't work"?
I’m really not that partisan on the matter in all honesty, so I wouldn’t reject him unless he was serving up the same big budget, short term dross that the other two had.

Status
Not open for further replies.