Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think he's shown enough things to show ruthlessness.

1) Benched our 75m striker for Rashford
2) Shipped off Fellaini
3) Didn't extend Valencia's contract
Gave new contract to Phil Jones. That thing bugs me more than anything

careca07

I don't think there have been many caretaker managers given the job straight after two defeats and being dumped out the FA Cup!

That said I think he's done a brilliant job overall and he's the right choice. If - big if - he's given considerable funds in the summer to get us players who are top level and more importantly, consistent in their performances, then I think we could do well next year.

My worry is the Glazers see his appointment as a way to minimize spending to allow him to get the best out of players who were underperforming. Some of them were underperforming (Pogba, Lindelof) a lot of them aren't good enough.

Verminator

Great, another year of mediocrity. Almost certainly not getting top 4 next year. The performances have been awful under Ole for weeks, very much Mourinho-like, not only that, but we have a whole host of average players and most of them will keep their place in the team because Ole feels bound to play youth products even if they're not good enough (Rashford and Lingard). Extremely disappointed, hoping to be proved wrong.
The brightest stars burn out quickest. Wum.

BurtSpangle

Back to RAWK scouser you're fooling no one.
I'm not a scouser, I'm being realistic. Ole's best performance was against Cardiff in his first game, we actually played quick one-touch football. Since then it's got progressively worse, slow & ponderous, just like it was under Mourinho. Our attacking personal aren't good enough, Rashford and Lingard are nowhere near the level required. Martial at LW doesn't do enough, perhaps he could play up front.

Also, personally, I hate the reliance on SAF. It seems every week SAF is going into the dressing room and giving speeches, watching training. Makes me wonder if he's doing more.

Ole is our version of Zidane, except we don't have anywhere near the quality of players Zidane has. We need a world class coach tactically, I don't think Ole is that, unfortunately.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm not a scouser, I'm being realistic. Ole's best performance was against Cardiff in his first game, we actually played quick one-touch football. Since then it's got progressively worse, slow & ponderous, just like it was under Mourinho. Our attacking personal aren't good enough, Rashford and Lingard are nowhere near the level required. Martial at LW doesn't do enough, perhaps he could play up front.

Also, personally, I hate the reliance on SAF. It seems every week SAF is going into the dressing room and giving speeches, watching training. Makes me wonder if he's doing more.

Ole is our version of Zidane, except we don't have anywhere near the quality of players Zidane has. We need a world class coach tactically, I don't think Ole is that, unfortunately.
Hi Louis! Bitter much?

AJ10

Pep or Jose? is there anyone else?

Don Juan Matus

Great, another year of mediocrity. Almost certainly not getting top 4 next year. The performances have been awful under Ole for weeks, very much Mourinho-like, not only that, but we have a whole host of average players and most of them will keep their place in the team because Ole feels bound to play youth products even if they're not good enough (Rashford and Lingard). Extremely disappointed, hoping to be proved wrong.
:lol::lol: Have RAWK let you out for the day?

- Maybe the uncertainty over the appointment was more of a distraction.
- Ah the famous "real test". Obviously if Ole can't turn Utd into a Barca beating team within 4 months of us being at our lowest ebb in decades, it would prove he's not cut out for the top level?
- Being rewarded for failure? Are you on the wind-up?
Agree with all of this.

People are very unrealistic with our great club at the moment. These are not the SAF days anymore and people still can’t get over it.

Ole’s at the wheel!

redshaw

Pleased for him. Well done Ole.

I'm willing to give him some time, I hope the board are. It's going to be tough if we don't get top 4 this season as I expect a few big names to go if we don't and we might just miss by a point or two. Has to be said he's got us to be in with a very good chance of course, I just mean squad wise we might take a hit and Ole's job really begins next season in who we bring in and how we setup if some big names go.

Galinha

The timing is not that random. It will be much harder without a perm-manager in the near future with all the transfer rumors and contract extensions coming in. Ole and the team philosophy about young players will be priceless in the transfermarket

deadrevelz

I'm actually stunned by this... Are you even a United fan?
And top 4 was 11 points off under Jose, Ole is 2 points off with Jose's squad after 3 months. What makes you so confident we wont get top 4 next season with additional signings approved by Ole when hes done so well with the toxicity and turmoil that Jose left him.. Ridiculous post..
BTW since December we've been the best team in the league, the table doesn't fecking lie...
No he's not a United fan, he's one of many oppo wums on here that are allowed to post for some reason.

RedorDead21

Tactically SAF wasn't really up there in the eyes of many. Given time to try and perform better against Barca he seemed to just rely on Fletcher as the tactical change necessary....he was pretty much mocked when we faced Ancelotti's Milan who said "we all know how they'll play we don't need to study" before swatting us aside....I think SAF's biggest strength was motivating and getting the best out of everyone. A true leader. OGS seems to inspire his players because they know he's been there and seen it all. Ticks a lot of boxes for your modern play player in terms of he's nice! Especially our squad, we've seen where not being nice gets you ha. He's also respected by the fans who are less willing to blame him over the players which is always a good environment for progress.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Still annoyed about that. And true to form, has phizza even played since he signed the new contract?
Nope. Day after he signed, he went on 4 years payed holliday. He will be back in his last year of contract

minoo-utd

Mixed feelings. But very excited as well, he did very well and quickly brought some of United back. Now let's see the board backing him!
Hope MP stays too, he is very important as ole for us.

deadrevelz

Talksport: Would you like to be involved with Ole at United?
Blomqvist: Yes, but maybe I would have to carry the water bottles or something...

:lol:

TRUERED89

No he's not a United fan, he's one of many oppo wums on here that are allowed to post for some reason.
All the Oppo's love our Café, their clubs are so boring and insignificant that they feel the need to come on here and talk absolute shite. How many true united fans have ever been on an oppo forum? I can honestly say I never have and never will.

Agree with all of this.

People are very unrealistic with our great club at the moment. These are not the SAF days anymore and people still can’t get over it.

Ole’s at the wheel!
Exactly this ^

Ole has brought something back into the club that Moyes,LVG and Jose failed to do and that was getting us playing good,offensive football again with an eye on progression.
People would have given Moyes,LVG and Jose more time if they just got us playing good football with a clear offensive philosophy,and less off-field issues. But these experienced managers failed even with the most simplest of tasks.

AJ10

Huh, what? Do you watch Juventus? Did you watch our 2 games with them?
Yes I do watch Juve and he's a pragmatic manager like jose and if you think their games vs us under jose means he's some attacking manager then i'll raise you ours games vs bottom half teams when jose was here. Does that mean those managers should be considered attacking?

Do we really want another jose?
I like it when people bring up Allegri. Good manager that he is they do need to realise that,with all of Juve's advantages over their Serie A rivals,they still play the most tumescent,uninspiring football.
That's why some Juve fans were not overly bothered with Allegri possibly leaving and why most wanted Zidane back at the club.

Inigo Montoya

I don't think there have been many caretaker managers given the job straight after two defeats and being dumped out the FA Cup!

That said I think he's done a brilliant job overall and he's the right choice. If - big if - he's given considerable funds in the summer to get us players who are top level and more importantly, consistent in their performances, then I think we could do well next year.

My worry is the Glazers see his appointment as a way to minimize spending to allow him to get the best out of players who were underperforming. Some of them were underperforming (Pogba, Lindelof) a lot of them aren't good enough.
Do you think he's naive enough not to have had that conversation with the Glazers?

He let on a while ago that the strategy for next season was already underway;he hasn't been in the job without a longer term view despite what he's said to the media

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Great news. Pleased for him.

However, with all the positive vibes around the club and with such an easy fixture on Saturday, the battle to avoid complacency will be his first real test.

careca07

Do you think he's naive enough not to have had that conversation with the Glazers?

He let on a while ago that the strategy for next season was already underway;he hasn't been in the job without a longer term view despite what he's said to the media
No I don't think he's that naive, but I do think that he's potentially less likely to be given the funds a top class external manager would have demanded - hence the inexplicable contracts for Jones and Young etc

Pennywise

:lol:. Wtf is this nonsense?

Eriku

Firstly, GET THE feck IN!!! :D

Secondly, I’ve no idea what’s been going on behind the scenes, I imagine the board came to this decision a while ago, and that Ole has been giving instructions for prep work for next season already.

At any rate it’s great to have it be official, that way any players we’re linked with know what they might be signing up for.

Ole was a big part of why United had a strong pull on me when I got into football, and once he made it clear he wished to go into management, I started dreaming about this scenario. His appointment and all that has followed has been the stuff dreams are made of.

Absolutely chuffed!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I like it when people bring up Allegri. Good manager that he is they do need to realise that,with all of Juve's advantages over their Serie A rivals,they still play the most tumescent,uninspiring football.
That's why some Juve fans were not overly bothered with Allegri possibly leaving and why most wanted Zidane back at the club.
He is good tactician. First post was about that. Not that he is good or bad coach, good for United or not etc...
Just pure comment about his tactical skill, for which i think that it is on high level

Ronaldo's Love Child

I must be one of the few who feel this announcement was unnecessary at this time.

It's not like United have been stringing OGS along. He was clearly told he has the job until the summer and then we'll review it then. Whichever way you look at it that has clearly worked for him and for us. Perhaps having to prove himself (and the players maybe feeling the need to prove themselves also) has resulted in a great audition by OGS. So why rock the boat and change the terms of his appointment right now ? OGS would not have been disappointed at all if the announcement was made at the end of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inigo Montoya

No I don't think he's that naive, but I do think that he's potentially less likely to be given the funds a top class external manager would have demanded - hence the inexplicable contracts for Jones and Young etc
Hardly inexplicable. Did you want them to leave on a pittance?

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
... Interesting.

All I'll say, based on my experiences watching us under Pellegrini, is that there's a huge difference between a manager inheriting a very talented but mentally tired squad and turning them into a great team again (our 13/14 season) and that same manager being trusted with transfers, stamping his own style on that same team on a long-term basis, and making improvements that earn him a new deal (our 15/16 season).

This is a huge gamble from the people who run United. I'm not sure it's the kind of decision you make if you want to win a title in the next three years. Having said that, I wish him all the luck in the world (I'd much rather be challenging United for the title over Liverpool, I'd much rather United made the top four than Arsenal or Chelsea, and Ole just seems like a very humble guy) and hope he justifies this decision.

Member 115509

I think United just simply had to give him this chance, he has earned it. He seems so comfortable in his role, just takes everything in his stride. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out now and then after that what business he does in the summer transfer window. His positive outlook and infectious enthusiasm are almost a polar opposite of the dour pragmatism of Moruinho and van Gaal. He gets more out of players where his predecessors seemed to be able to turn vintage wine into stagnant water.
He currently has the basis of a squad that is more than capable of finishing top 4, he now needs to build on that and turn United into Title winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.