Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

We are very shit against shit teams. Something tells me that with better players we could be on to something because the performances against big teams have been good. Poch wouldn't be my first choice, i would prefer someone like Ten Hag, Nagelsmann or Rose. So i would rather give Ole the January transfer window and evaluate at the end of the season.

Needless to say my opinion keeps changing after every game but I really want Ole to succeed.
We are shit when Pereira is Freds partner. Teams like Sheffield United and Villa walk through our non existent midfield.

Fred and Mctomminay have won 5 of their last 6 together. That is not a coincidence

robinvpersie

But he's been doing this all season, raising our game against the big sides that attack us. It's basically LVG all over again. Great win tonight obviously, but it doesn't change anything for me, still think he's out his depth and needs replacing unless he starts showing some genuine consistency and relying less on individual brilliance.
Difference is LVG didn't seem to have a plan for the future, he never knew his best team and had us all baffled every week with his team sheets. Threw in the odd academy player to keep up appearances.

Ole seems the opposite, it's almost like he is working on his starting 11 for the first day of next season, this season is just a trial run to see which youngsters are ready for that day...

He is putting his job, reputation and sanity on the line but if the gamble pays off, he just might be on to something.

Think back to August.... our signings comprised of a center back we all agreed cost too much, a right back we were 50/50 on, and a nobody signing from some Welsh amateur club..

We sold our goals, our tough Spaniard from Salford, then gave his slow uncle a new deal and gave an old man called young the armband!! Not to mention paying a couple of Italians a small fortune to keep a certain Chilean happy for a year.

"The place is a circus. He doesn't know what hes doing!"

There was dark clouds over Old Trafford for the first game of the season, all of a sudden we romp home and everyone is on side. The internet fan saw trophies and success that day, the experienced folk among us knew it wont be that simple.

If anything is certain in football, its this: YOUNG PLAYERS WILL BE INCONSISTENT.

So long story short, I put up with WDDLWWDDLWWWLD for a season because I know our youngsters will drop points every now and then throughout the season. I know all of us fat cnuts might scream at our TVs or from the stands in complete anger, swearing we could do a better job, but we can't.

Let's give youth a chance this year and enjoy victory on nights like this, see these wins as a window to the future, not with a pinch of salt because we dropped points immaturely a few days before.

Were headed in the right direction, if you cant see it? So what, put on a happy face, cheer the team on, look at the positives and forget the rest.

In my view, we should only be looking at the table if we are involved in a title race, if not, feck it. Take each game on it's own merit and cast one eye to the future.

Trust me, we are taking forward steps, not backward..

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We are shit when Pereira is Freds partner. Teams like Sheffield United and Villa walk through our non existent midfield.

Fred and Mctomminay have won 5 of their last 6 together. That is not a coincidence
Exactly, it feels like United's is the only fan base in the world that completely ignores their injuries. This isn't an Ole in post but it's a give the man some slack for the side he's having to play at present

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
There are transitions and transitions. This one requires a mass exodus and gradual replacement. He clearly hasn't the clout to demand the cash that will allow these replacements to arrive en masse. We're not JUST losing to Bournemouth, we've got a scattering of good performances in there, certainly more exciting games than I've seen in recent times, more goals, more ambition, more mistakes maybe but certainly progress of a sort. And the young guys are central to the whole thing. Look, it's not all strawberries and cream but there's enough in there to give me some hope. Even one real, shrewd addition in January in the right area could give us a proper push. It's not Moyes. Or LVG, or Jose. I've got more from the glimpses of hope this season than anything I've seen in a while.
I dont absolve him of it, but I think that context needs to be applied. We may only have 3 new players, but we're promoting previous bench players to leading roles in the team while nearly half our old first team have either been sold or sent to the scrap heap. Further, 2 of our 5 best players

I also don't particularly think either of the Madrids or Bayern have purchased particularly well, rather they play in limp leagues where inconsistency can be papered over by the inequality between the top and bottom of the league. I believe that aside from a striker, United have taken the route of not just buying for the sake of it, but rather investing in the right players and providing the existing playing staff with the opportunity to prove themsevles which is exactly what Sir Alex did with the class of 92. You'd be foolish to hold the opinion that if those players didn't perform in that season, he wouldnt have replaced them.
Hey, look, I'm rooting for your side. We'll all be a lot better off if you're right and Ole somehow manages to pull it out of the bag. And if that happens, I'll gladly take all the gloating this forum can muster, and all manner of humble pie you can stuff into my face! Bukake-Pie the feck out of me! Do it. I want it!! DOOO ITTT!!!

All I'm saying, is that if it doesn't pan out that way... and if sticking with the unproven former manager of Cardiff and Molde for the sake of something something Fergie in the 80s, something something legend, doesn't actually work out ... then you don't get to say "Ah well, we couldn't have known, we were just trying to be positive, top red supporters!"...Because you did know. You were told. There were a shit load of dodgy obvious precedents you wilfully ignored, that shouldn't be dismissed, anymore than the plethora of Liverpool fans who blindly supported Kenny Dalglish's mad racist anti-Evra T-shirt campaign should be dismissed, just because the sweet sweet succulent allure of pointless nostalgia was strong enough to pin them permanently into the past. The same past that kept Liverpool from challenging for fecking decades* until they happened to randomly hire a really good, modern thinking manager, rather than, I dunno, plumping for Dirk Kuyt?

* I don't know how many of you know this, or moreover need to know this! - But one of the biggest reasons we knocked Liverpool off their fecking perch, is because we hired a modern thinking progressive manager, and they continued to appoint former boot room players (like Souness, and Evans) irregardless of ability, in a nostalgic belief their "culture" would last forever.... Until it didn't.. And was then too late to redress! But sure, lets do exactly the same fecking thing shall we? What could go wrong?

Last edited:

SteveW

Exactly, it feels like United's is the only fan base in the world that completely ignores their injuries. This isn't an Ole in post but it's a give the man some slack for the side he's having to play at present
We're actually pretty decent when we get a functional midfield onto the pitch. I expect our consistency to greatly improve once we can sign/develop proper backups and don't have to rely on the likes of Pereira, Mata, Matic whenever there's an injury.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Hey, look, I'm rooting for your side. We'll all be a lot better off if you're right and Ole somehow manages to pull it out of the bag. And if that happens, I'll gladly take all the gloating this forum can muster, and all manner of humble pie you can stuff into my face! Bukake-Pie the feck out of me! Do it. I want it!! DOOO ITTT!!!

All I'm saying, is that if it doesn't pan out that way... and if sticking with the unproven former manager of Cardiff and Molde for the sake of something something Fergie in the 80s, something something legend, doesn't actually work out ... then you don't get to say "Ah well, we couldn't have know, we were just trying to be positive, top red supporters!"...Because you did know. You were told. There were a shit load of dodgy looking obvious precedents you wilfully ignored, that shouldn't be dismissed, anymore than the plethora of Liverpool fans who blindly supported Kenny Dalglish's mad racist anti-Evra T-shirt campaign should be dismissed, just because the sweet sweet succulent allure of pointless nostalgia was strong enough to pin you permanently into the past.

... Is all.
I agree with this. I'll need to see more performances like tonight on a consistent basis before getting excited.

lRed

Difference is LVG didn't seem to have a plan for the future, he never knew his best team and had us all baffled every week with his team sheets. Threw in the odd academy player to keep up appearances.

Ole seems the opposite, it's almost like he is working on his starting 11 for the first day of next season, this season is just a trial run to see which youngsters are ready for that day...

He is putting his job, reputation and sanity on the line but if the gamble pays off, he just might be on to something.

Think back to August.... our signings comprised of a center back we all agreed cost too much, a right back we were 50/50 on, and a nobody signing from some Welsh amateur club..

We sold our goals, our tough Spaniard from Salford, then gave his slow uncle a new deal and gave an old man called young the armband!! Not to mention paying a couple of Italians a small fortune to keep a certain Chilean happy for a year.

There was dark clouds over Old Trafford for the first game of the season, all of a sudden we romp home and everyone is on side. The internet fan saw trophies and success that day, the experienced folk among us knew it wont be that simple.

If anything is certain in football, its this: YOUNG PLAYERS WILL BE INCONSISTENT.

So long story short, I put up with WDDLWWDDLWWWLD for a season because I know our youngsters will drop points every now and then throughout the season. I know all of us fat cnuts might scream at our TVs or from the stands in complete anger, swearing we could do a better job, but we can't.

Let's give youth a chance this year and enjoy victory on nights like this, see these wins as a window to the future, not with a pinch of salt because we dropped points immaturely a few days before.

Were headed in the right direction, if you cant see it? So what, put on a happy face, cheer the team on, look at the positives and forget the rest.

In my view, we should only be looking at the table if we are involved in a title race, if not, feck it. Take each game on it's own merit and cast one eye to the future.

Amen.

Shark

@NotShark
I agree with this. I'll need to see more performances like tonight on a consistent basis before getting excited.
Yep. Don't forget Kenny Danglish comfortably beat SAF's United 3-1 at Anfield and I think also knocked us out of a cup. I feel we're in that phase now of Liverpool's history.

Gasolin

A great result, and well-deserved by Ole, but the fact is that we didn't create much more than they did. It feels like we did because Rashford's strikes from distance were on target, but our chance-creation still sucks. And if we don't create more than our opposition then our results will vary from amazing to crappy - which is exactly what we are experiencing.

Here's the question: is Chelsea's front six better man-for-man than ours? I'm not sure it is. But their chance-creation is much better. I'd hate to credit that to Lampard - can't stand him - but they're doing something better than we are.
You mean the xG? I am pretty sure we are not that far away from Chelsea at all.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

I think our problem were those draws where we concede these dumb goals that make us lose 2 pts.
Fix that and we are in another category right away, and we can then look up.

And it's part of football to shoot if the defense doesn't give you a chance to get close. It's actually important because then the opposition can't just do that continuously, they need to close you down. If they do, we will get space behind.

LucasXXII

Our record against the Big 6 and Leicester this season: 3W-2D-0L, 11 points gained in 5 matches, 2.2 ppg (2.0ppg before tonight)

Our record against the rest: 2W-4D-4L, 10 points gained in 8 matches, 1.0
ppg

We're essentially Wolves-lite at the moment. It's honestly comical how the majority expected a loss, and even more so how opinions sway based on one win against Spurs. One win against any top team (except City as they're capable of dispatching any opposition on their day) shouldn't change one's opinion on Ole in any way because it's the mid-bottom teams that we're struggling to beat, and it's beating the mid-bottom teams that really counts in the league.

Last edited:

alexthelion

A sane post on the CAF? What are you doing here?

robinvpersie

A sane post on the CAF? What are you doing here?
Call me crazy, but I tend not to turn into a homisidal maniac as soon as my fingers touch a keyboard. Dunno what it is.....

Anyway, must go, this Russian mail order bride is about to leave me, better put another £20 in the meter..

Peace out

Crashoutcassius

Anyone else think that we are on course to finish 5th or 6th and that is approx this teams level, without any depth and down pogba for half the season ? If someone said a world class manager would have a team performing better than the players he has... can't argue with that.

Gasolin

Anyone else think that we are on course to finish 5th or 6th and that is approx this teams level, without any depth and down pogba for half the season ? If someone said a world class manager would have a team performing better than the players he has... can't argue with that.
I still think momentum and confidence is going to be everything. So no, we could go slightly higher in my opinion. But a midfield to help Fred and Scott wouldn't be a bad idea, and maybe someone to play in lieu of Martial when he's injured.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We're actually pretty decent when we get a functional midfield onto the pitch. I expect our consistency to greatly improve once we can sign/develop proper backups and don't have to rely on the likes of Pereira, Mata, Matic whenever there's an injury.
We'll probably compete for top 4 if we can keep Fred, McTominay and Pogba fit for the rest of the season. Our starting 11 is decent, we've just barely had them on the pitch at the same time this season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
But he's been doing this all season, raising our game against the big sides that attack us. It's basically LVG all over again. Great win tonight obviously, but it doesn't change anything for me, still think he's out his depth and needs replacing unless he starts showing some genuine consistency and relying less on individual brilliance.
You were right. This is Lingard and Jones thread all over again. One good game in 10 and this place is swarmed by "top reds" with "feck you all doubters" posts.
This is PSG all over again and eventually we'll reap what we sow.

The standards are so low, that a win at home against Tottenham Hotspurs is seen as a season defining moment

5 wins all in the league but hey we performed against the big boys.

Small time Micky mouse mentality
This, all this.

RUCK4444

Good post. I have been trying to point out the same positives for months now. The trouble is fans online only listen when we've won a game, sure enough they will disregard any positives again as soon as we next drop points.

I agree and have posted many times that Ole at least seems to know what his plan is for this squad and has direction with recruitment, rather than the scatter gun approach we've seen over the past five years or so.

The team as a whole showed up tonight and put on a performance for their manager, when he really needed it. When is the last time that happened? You would have to back to Fergie's time perhaps? They are playing for Ole and this is a very young and inexperienced team.

If we can be successful with this group of youngsters after adding some much needed additions in the transfer window I really believe we can be a force again.

It takes a manager willing to change the approach and take the flack in the meantime in order to play the long game and create a footing for this club to really push on from. We have a handful of very good youngsters here that have the opportunity to come through and Ole seems to be getting the best out of them.

There are positives there, some of which have not been seen under the last three managers, Ole has done well in the big games, with a bit more craft and experience in this squad to break down the lower placed clubs who sit back we will be far more consistent.

Gator Nate

Right on!

luke511

It'd be great to see him eventually turn things round, If he makes a good signing in the January window then he stands a chance, if he doesn't then it'll be the end of him.

reddevil702

Today was a great performance but I hate that it almost feels bitter sweet. I never want United to lose but I know that all this win does is put a band aid on a hemorrhaging wound. It buys ole more time when it’s obvious he’s not the right manager. Regardless, he got it right today and deserves credit. Going with Greenwood instead of 3 at back was a good move. Let’s hope we can keep winning and smash City, and in the end this win today ends up being more than just a band aid and instead an actual turning point.

Paul_Scholes18

Tactically in the big games we look good. Although we are terrible against the weaker sides and we also drop a lot of points from having the lead. We need to keep the ball better and also not fall too deep.

SteveW

We'll probably compete for top 4 if we can keep Fred, McTominay and Pogba fit for the rest of the season. Our starting 11 is decent, we've just barely had them on the pitch at the same time this season.
Our first 11 is a good team. If we keep them fit I can see us going on a run.

We just need to strengthen the squad so that we don't fall off the cliff every time we get a couple of injuries. No team should end up having to play a flighty failed winger as a premier league central midfielder. It's fecking insane.

Ole isn't a bad manager or out of his depth or any of that bullshit. Bad managers don't consistently outwit the likes of Klopp, Poch, Jose etc. He might actually be very good. But his squad is just way too fecking thin. If Ed has any sense he will back him properly over the next couple of windows so that he can have a proper go at it.

Gasolin

We just need to strengthen the squad so that we don't fall off the cliff every time we get a couple of injuries. No team should end up having to play a flighty failed winger as a premier league central midfielder. It's fecking insane.

Ole isn't a bad manager or out of his depth or any of that bullshit. Bad managers don't consistently outwit the likes of Klopp, Poch, Jose etc. He might actually be very good. But his squad is just way too fecking thin. If Ed has any sense he will back him properly over the next couple of windows so that he can have a proper go at it.
Apparently the glorified West Ham whatever team that was is who we are right now under Ole... ignoring the xG, the game attempts, and the really strange goals we conceded in a lot of games where we ended up losing points.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I agree for the most part. Injuries have made this an incredibly difficult season when in reality we should be sitting much more comfortably than flirting with midtable.

I'm still not sold on Solskjaer but we'll have to see what he can do with a squad not completely decimated by injuries, rightly or wrongly Woodward seems keen to back him so hopefully we actually spend a bit this winter. We don't need world beaters just some good quality depth. Like you said, the first team (when fit) is good so if we could have a somewhat reliable first team for the rest of the season we could potentially go on a bit of a run.

ash_86

I don't think he's asking the players to raise their game against top 6 and be poor against the rest. You keep saying he's out of depth but he keeps knocking down every good manager in the league. I don't agree Ole is doing everything right, for one his decision to keep the squad thin is sack worthy. But he does have some positives. He seems to have figured out a way to get most out of Rashford Martial, James. Attacking Players seems improving under him than regressing and that's a huge plus from previous years where we couldn't put together one cohesive attack.

We don't have world class players to depend on moment of magic. What we are seeing is that average to good players are getting to show their worth and play for the team, the manager.

I'm not jumping to conclusions and say he needs to see out his contract. I'm waiting for us to get back our midfield and see if we can unlock teams that play low block. If we see signs then give him the season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

All I'm saying, is that if it doesn't pan out that way... and if sticking with the unproven former manager of Cardiff and Molde for the sake of something something Fergie in the 80s, something something legend, doesn't actually work out ... then you don't get to say "Ah well, we couldn't have known, we were just trying to be positive, top red supporters!"...Because you did know. You were told. There were a shit load of dodgy obvious precedents you wilfully ignored, that shouldn't be dismissed, anymore than the plethora of Liverpool fans who blindly supported Kenny Dalglish's mad racist anti-Evra T-shirt campaign should be dismissed, just because the sweet sweet succulent allure of pointless nostalgia was strong enough to pin them permanently into the past. The same past that kept Liverpool from challenging for fecking decades* until they happened to randomly hire a really good, modern thinking manager, rather than, I dunno, plumping for Dirk Kuyt?

* I don't know how many of you know this, or moreover need to know this! - But one of the biggest reasons we knocked Liverpool off their fecking perch, is because we hired a modern thinking progressive manager, and they continued to appoint former boot room players (like Souness, and Evans) irregardless of ability, in a nostalgic belief their "culture" would last forever.... Until it didn't.. And was then too late to redress! But sure, lets do exactly the same fecking thing shall we? What could go wrong?
Agreed.

Well done to Ole and the boys for today. But I still don't see this arrangement lasting long.

Gasolin

I mean, I get what you're saying about Liverpool but if anything, I think Ole is actually pretty modern. What he tries to do, he tries it in a very very pragmatic way, in order to get the win he will adapt at all cost. That is someone who seem to study football and try to implement clear strategies on the field, in the attacking pattern, positioning of the forwards, pressing, counter-pressing, but not continuous pressing to save energy, strong passes to try to bypass opposition pressing quickly, etc... it's not a football that works by being static and playing cool. It's a hyper dynamic football that is very much one touch and move. Jose for sure doesn't play like that, and even Pep doesn't play like that. Klopp is the closest to this style of play.

R'hllor

I understand that some people trying to spin this whole us being poor due certain players being injured thing but lets not pretend and act how AP is natural replacement for McT as CM if he is injured. Somebody made a decision and picked AP to play there when clearly he aint that, inform or not. I never liked the "he could also play X position if needed" line.

Might be wrong because i dont follow Tottenham situation but i would use Vertoghen as example, so a CB is better LB than Rose now or any LB they have from U18 onward ? Or few days ago ( didnt watch a game) some people mentioned how they dont understand why some young CB in City not getting chance as CB there but instead they use a CM.

SteveW

I understand that some people trying to spin this whole us being poor due certain players being injured thing but lets not pretend and act how AP is natural replacement for McT as CM if he is injured. Somebody made a decision and picked AP to play there when clearly he aint that, inform or not. I never liked the "he could also play X position if needed" line.

Might be wrong because i dont follow Tottenham situation but i would use Vertoghen as example, so a CB is better LB than Rose now or any LB they have from U18 onward ? Or few days ago ( didnt watch a game) some people mentioned how they dont understand why some young CB in City not getting chance as CB there but instead they use a CM.
What were the other options?

croadyman

Will hold my hands up and admit I didn't expect a performance that good, obviously The Sun article about him saying he could be sacked if we lost both games has done the trick in firing up the players.

I do still have concerns about Ole's ability to attract top players and still don't believe he has the coaching ability to improve our existing squad, however if you are going to keep the faith with him then please bring in some more experienced coaches than Carrick & Phelan.

Appointing a DOF would help massively with the transfer strategy,personally think that Rangnick is the man for the role.

Give Ole his due he was under huge media pressure tonight but he came up with a solid performance.

Last edited:

croadyman

I’m not changing my mind off the back of this game, this was typical of us against better opposition.

No doubt there will be flip flopping after tonight though.

Just hope we can do this performance more often against lesser sides, there’s no logic as to why we can’t.
We seem to be able to raise it against better opposition and this probably sounds daft but it reminds me of how LVG used to have a decent record against the top six as well. I think we struggle against the so called lesser sides because we haven't got the creativity and imagination in our midfield to break down packed defences.

SteveW

Surely people must understand that the fact that we can beat good teams shows we have potential. It's almost being turned into a negative on here.

"Anyone can beat the good teams! LVG could even beat the good teams!! The real challenge is beating the bad teams!!"

Has redcafe collectively become completely thick?

Status
Not open for further replies.