Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens the Red

I think that there now has to be a question - and it is obviously at least partly down to the quality of players available to him at present - as to whether we're struggling to break down teams who don't go at us because we need better and more creative players or whether, at least partly, because motivation is a problem against perceived weaker sides. The intensity doesn't look at the same level and that's the responsibility of the staff.
I think whenever you struggle to break a team down it looks a creative issue and it’s very easy to point at it but what you said about motivation looks to me to be the bigger problem because we played Sheff Utd and Villa recently who did not the park the bus at all against us and we were garbage against them, failing to create, looking clueless etc.

When we play bigger sides everyone just looks so much sharper, things are far crisper, there’s not too much faffing on the ball. Kinda tells me this team lacks motivation in the smaller games, only coming to life when we’re losing and time is running out.
The lack of proper coaching becomes apparent too. If our players were coached better in terms of their attacking fluidity it would become second nature to them and it won’t look like such a chore when they’re struggling a bit with motivation. It
Only takes two or three good attacking moves and we’d score a goal regardless of performance. You see it with Liverpool, they can be completely shit but they’ll flick the switch on in the blink of an eye and they’ll be 2/3 nil up.

cptkeane1993

I think whenever you struggle to break a team down it looks a creative issue and it’s very easy to point at it but what you said about motivation looks to me to be the bigger problem because we played Sheff Utd and Villa recently who did not the park the bus at all against us and we were garbage against them, failing to create, looking clueless etc.

When we play bigger sides everyone just looks so much sharper, things are far crisper, there’s not too much faffing on the ball. Kinda tells me this team lacks motivation in the smaller games, only coming to life when we’re losing and time is running out.
The lack of proper coaching becomes apparent too. If our players were coached better in terms of their attacking fluidity it would become second nature to them and it won’t look like such a chore when they’re struggling a bit with motivation. It
Only takes two or three good attacking moves and we’d score a goal regardless of performance. You see it with Liverpool, they can be completely shit but they’ll flick the switch on in the blink of an eye and they’ll be 2/3 nil up.
I tend to agree it’s a motivation issue. The performance level of the players drop. I think Ole himself looks to be struggling from it. You don’t see him on the touch lines as often for instance compared to the big games where he’s constantly giving out instructions and encouragement. I hope he recognises it otherwise he may not be able to do anything about it.

Jeffthered

Every time we do "more than enough to win the games" we fail to win the game. I mean there has to be something in there, doesn't it?

People are throwing phrases like "young and inconsistent team" around constantly, but I would argue that we are very consistently good against good teams and very consistently poor against the poor sides. That's not a sign of a good team. That's the sign of a mid-table team with an ability to raise its game and counter-attack against teams that pressure us. We're basically a one-trick pony, and that one trick is unfortunately only working against the minority of the sides in the league.
This is a very, very good post.

I recently stated that I compare this Utd team and 'tactics' to the England team..which is about playing on the break with a few quick players up front. I'm not convinced those are great tactics.

We seem to play on pure instinct. When teams set up and are organised, and we have more of the ball... We struggle. We have few ball players (if any without Pogba). It's all instinct. We don't have players to control, probe, define and shape a game. It's why we drop points from leading positions.

We play better away.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

I'm mentioned this on an earlier thread and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this. Even against Everton today they didn't exactly park the bus as many are saying. They still had space between their lines to exploit but we decided on many occasions to by pass CM and have our CBs playing long balls out to the wing. That had to be instructions from the management.

As you say against Villa and especially Sheffield they didn't play low block and if I remember correctly even Bournemouth had a good go at us so saying we didn't beat these teams because they defended with the kitchen sink is wrong. So maybe we just are game raisers.

Ludens the Red

I tend to agree it’s a motivation issue. The performance level of the players drop. I think Ole himself looks to be struggling from it. You don’t see him on the touch lines as often for instance compared to the big games where he’s constantly giving out instructions and encouragement. I hope he recognises it otherwise he may not be able to do anything about it.
Yeah I hope he does but it’s been going on since March, remember the Huddersfield, Cardiff games. We’re now in December and it’s still going on. It’s a bit concerning tbh.

I'm mentioned this on an earlier thread and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this. Even against Everton today they didn't exactly park the bus as many are saying. They still had space between their lines to exploit but we decided on many occasions to by pass CM and have our CBs playing long balls out to the wing. That had to be instructions from the management.

As you say against Villa and especially Sheffield they didn't play low block and if I remember correctly even Bournemouth had a good go at us so saying we didn't beat these teams because they defended with the kitchen sink is wrong. So maybe we just are game raisers.
Yep, today yeah Everton may have had five defenders but they had literally zero midfield, dropped deep so often, there were plenty spaces and gaps to exploit, we just weren’t good, brave or motivated enough to exploit them.

Last edited:

croadyman

We have also dropped points from being in the lead far too much. We have also never won any games coming from behind. That shows some big problems for us.
Yeah we had leads in the league against Wolves, Southampton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Sheff Utd & Villa but failed to win any of them which shows we have a real fragility when not more than a goal ahead in a game. Quite unbelievable that we haven't won a game from a losing position since Southampton in February when Ole was still an interim manager. The fact of the matter is this situation is going to continue until Utd find a way to win a game from behind again.

The scary thing is the people that call this Utd team game raisers might have a very valid point indeed.

Last edited:

croadyman

The overreaction in this thread is ridiculous. We dominated the game from start to finish and the match statistics back that up:

Possession: United 67% - Everton 33%

Shots: United 24 - Everton 8

Shots on Target: United 8 - Everton 3

We more than deserved to win the game, but it didn't work out that way for several reasons, mostly the poor finishing/wayward shooting of our frontmen.

But that's football sometimes, you don't always get what you deserve.
Yeah I know it won't make me popular but think those shot stats are very misleading. I felt that far too many of those shots were just speculative and certainly didn't force Pickford into many saves bar the rashford free kick.

I will be fuming if Ole decides to just hang his hat on Pogba providing all the creativity in January. We need another outlet or will just carry on dropping points to the so called lesser teams.

I am dreading facing Watford, Newcastle & Burnley because these games just constantly bring out the worst in Ole & the team. They just do not look motivated in these games at all and that is worrying.

Really don't want to hear we were unlucky either because this has happened far too many times this season for that to be the case.

Last edited:

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
This is a very, very good post.

I recently stated that I compare this Utd team and 'tactics' to the England team..which is about playing on the break with a few quick players up front. I'm not convinced those are great tactics.

We seem to play on pure instinct. When teams set up and are organised, and we have more of the ball... We struggle. We have few ball players (if any without Pogba). It's all instinct. We don't have players to control, probe, define and shape a game. It's why we drop points from leading positions.

We play better away.
Very good observations!

Apart from counter attacks it’s hard to see what kind of style we play. What dictates our build ups? Who orchestrates our possession game? Who open up spaces and creates chances for others?

Why do we set up negative and play with two holding midfielder at OT against Everton? Why do we use a 4231 formation when we don’t have a creative number 10?

Why lower our passing tempo and become more pedestrian again when playing a inferior team? Who’s our leader who set the standards when things doesn’t work?

Many questions without good answers. Is Ole to blame or just bad luck or coincidences?

Mainoldo

So when does this become a serious discussion again because his tactics are gash...

I think I prefer David Moyes football.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
WENEEDCREATIVEPLAYERSWENEEDCREATIVEPLAYERSWENEEDCREATIVEPLAYERS

Mainoldo

Neymar; Mbappe; Maddison; Veratti; Sancho and of course Haaland. Then we Will have an excuse we need a new left back.

TrueRed79

When results against the big teams dry up the Caf will still be crying that "he has a plan though".

WENEEDCREATIVEPLAYERSWENEEDCREATIVEPLAYERSWENEEDCREATIVEPLAYERS
To be fair, just Lukaku or Felliani and Moyes tactics bombing 100 balls into the box would see us twat these.

I have no idea how we train on beating packed defences as every single time it seems we have absolutely no game plan for it. If we don't have creative players, cross cross cross and stick someone up top who's good at finding space in the box.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What do we work on....because it's not movement, patterns or overloads. Also what's Ole's issue with Gomes? I'd like him to explain it because it's irritating watching Mata and Matic when we've a talented young player he refuses to play.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its the same old boring posters on here who cant wait for a half that we don't score so they vent their feelings. It's so boring

Mainoldo

Its the same old boring posters on here who cant wait for a half that we don't score so they vent their feelings. It's so boring
Maybe he should stop boring us with his same awful tactics. They’d be nothing to moan about.

santosh

We will keep struggling against these tight defenses until we add good dribblers or crosser to the team. Most times City and Liverpool break down the teams through dribble in the box or a good cross which causes panic in the defense. Rashford and James are good when they have space, but no one in the team can dribble like Sterling or Mane and cause the team to loose shape. Our next addition should be in number 10 who can dribble or a really good crosser of the ball like De Bruyne.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
To be fair, just Lukaku or Felliani and Moyes tactics bombing 100 balls into the box would see us twat these.

I have no idea how we train on beating packed defences as every single time it seems we have absolutely no game plan for it. If we don't have creative players, cross cross cross and stick someone up top who's good at finding space in the box.
The level of movement for our third is how we should look to play against tight defences. A combination of swift passing and off the ball movement. The more we have of either the easier to becomes.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Maybe he should stop boring us with his same awful tactics. They’d be nothing to moan about.
It's a real shame for you that you cant just sit back and enjoy watching this team grow. Are you big enough to admit a job well done on the night?

Flexdegea

Another false dawn by the Ole out mafia,

Usual excitable moan about tactics and patterns, then after half 3 goals scored, so does that mean the patterns and tactics where spot on?

Or I'm I not playing Football manager so I dont understand it :lol:

el3mel

Another false dawn by the Ole out mafia,

Usual excitable moan about tactics and patterns, then after half 3 goals scored, so does that mean the patterns and tactics where spot on?

Or I'm I not playing Football manager so I dont understand it :lol:
The first goal was scored via a counter attack when they decided to suddenly open the field and attack, followed by an OG. Not sure how that proves anyone wrong that we're still clueless in front of low blocks and counter attacking is our only strategy of play this season. More like it proves it. Weird post.

Mainoldo

It's a real shame for you that you cant just sit back and enjoy watching this team grow. Are you big enough to admit a job well done on the night?
No Ole is crap. The sooner he goes the better. Hope we will both enjoy it when a proper manager takes us forward. But we’ll probably be disappointed.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
No Ole is crap. The sooner he goes the better. Hope we will both enjoy it when a proper manager takes us forward. But we’ll probably be disappointed.
I have absolutely no doubt that you will always be disappointed in something

lsd

The Oracle
The first goal was scored via a counter attack when they decided to suddenly open the field and attack, followed by an OG. Not sure how that proves anyone wrong that we're still clueless in front of low blocks and counter attacking is our only strategy of play this season. More like it proves it. Weird post.

Defending deep thats all you have to say . Seriously need to start shooting people saying low blocks thinking its trendy

AshRK

He has to clearly work more with his players on improving our attacking play. Not doing enough. I have accepted he is here to stay and I wish he proves all of us wrong and does well. But he seriously needs to work on attacking play.

simpandenstore

I saw many intentions when rashford, martial, shaw etc. took good runs behind the defenders but no one had the courage or skill to take that deep pass (matic, mata, pereira). I think the problem isn't the movement, but that we have zero creative midfielder to take those passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.