Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
So he's not fit to play which showed 15 minutes later, and yet you play him? For what, a win in the FA Cup? I can understand rushing Rooney back after 1-1 draw with Bayern but 3rd round of the FA Cup, to play the lad, who's had issues with gassing out in the past, is just dumb.

Bittersweet SJ

We are average at best!!! He needs to go at the end of the season, stop this bullsh*t about the patience with the manager. We`re done, every year is the same. Hopefully we can get Poch in the summer

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

It's bit frustrating seeing comments like this. We've seen it a few times with Ole playing players who really shouldn't be featuring. In certain games of the season it makes sense but personally an FA Cup 3rd Round replay (Rashford), Rochdale (Pogba) and McTominay (Newcastle?) I think it's clearly been the wrong call.
I defended him for this but now it is different story. So he wasn't 100% fit? Then it is a mistake.

Fosu-Mens

I was just stating a fact mate, I know for a fact the guys will be flying into that thread after the Liverpool game. Maybe not after a win, but well, we know what they will say, they will always say something.

I respect your opinion that we fail at passing sometimes, but where we do not fail is that we have a clearer idea of the team, and it's not just counter attacking. We talked about it extensively in this thread and elsewhere so I see no need to bring it up. In short, I like Ole's play style because it reminds me of the United with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez. And I think we can get something out there, hopefully soon enough, that will depends on how we can get players we want. Right now, it's individual errors that are costing more than anything.

My opinion, and I am not from Norway, so I don't get the mention of the average Norwegian journalist.

I have liked different type of football, but I am not for any type of progressive football that would be about controlling the ball aimlessly or, as I like to say, soullessly. Who cares, we want intensity, we want percussion, we want conviction, win at all cost and freak out the opposition, that's what we want, and the tactics? Just a mean to do that. At best, I would prefer a Klopp style of play and that's definitely not "progressive". Or not possession based.

Maybe you did not like our 2008 team? That's OK, I remember plenty of people did not like the team, we were not playing like Barcelona or anything. Nor Arsenal. But that was a style that I liked. I actually love how the opposition thought we were crap but we could still win it. It's what creates the fear in the long run.
That's the main reason as for why the current approach is never going to work. Football is not the same as it was 10-15 years ago. What worked then, does not work now. Look at Mourinho. His approach to football is not working anymore at the highest level and over time due to teams being more tactically aware and not allowing as many counter-attacks against. Thinking that our current approach to football is going to win us anything major or becoming competitive over time is comparable to playing in the NBA today and refusing to shoot 3s.

I liked the 2008 team. A team full of world-class players with an approach to football that was effective compared to how other teams played at the time. Similar to how SAF was able to reinvent himself with changing approaches on how to win over time: Adapting to the changes in football.

Chairman Steve

You could take this match tonight and put it in a season review of 2015/16 or any Jose season, and no-one would have thought the wiser. We do not play good football under OGS, despite a lot of people giving hell to Jose and LVG over that. I guess the legend player status gives you licence to be given the benefit of the doubt.

I’ll give him credit for wins but in the long run we need to make winning a habit and I don’t think he can deliver that. Other fans are laughing at us for lauding beating Norwich and Wolves at OT as turning the corner or making significant progress. I don’t know why we have to seemingly adopt this midtable club mindset for a 10 year experienced manager who just happens to be a club legend, while if this happened under LVG or Jose, there would be universal rage and the sack vote would be minimum 80%.

I would look to appoint a new manager from May. OGS just doesnt fill me with confidence in the long run. How is a man whose spent most of his decade in management in the Norwegian league suddenly going to morph into a European elite manager?

ManRed

It's bit frustrating seeing comments like this. We've seen it a few times with Ole playing players who really shouldn't be featuring. In certain games of the season it makes sense but personally an FA Cup 3rd Round replay (Rashford), Rochdale (Pogba) and McTominay (Newcastle?) I think it's clearly been the wrong call.
Can't wait for the dirty scousers to leave one on Rashford if he plays on Sunday. Ole didn't need to share this information.

Giggsyking

He keeps doing the same stupid mistake over and over again.

fergosaurus

Ole's strategy with injured players is to rush them as earlier as possible and risk them getting injured again. Has been doing that for a long time now.
A consequence of his genius idea to go into the season with a bare-bones squad.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Everyone’s complaining about him playing Rashford, yet the squads incredibly thin as it is anyway, yet he doesn’t play him and Ole gets slated for “not changing things”

The man simply cannot win

Paxi

Louis van Gaal was right about Ole, unsurprisingly.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
You could take this match tonight and put it in a season review of 2015/16 or any Jose season, and no-one would have thought the wiser. We do not play good football under OGS, despite a lot of people giving hell to Jose and LVG over that. I guess the legend player status gives you licence to be given the benefit of the doubt.

I’ll give him credit for wins but in the long run we need to make winning a habit and I don’t think he can deliver that. Other fans are laughing at us for lauding beating Norwich and Wolves at OT as turning the corner or making significant progress. I don’t know why we have to seemingly adopt this midtable club mindset for a 10 year experienced manager who just happens to be a club legend, while if this happened under LVG or Jose, there would be universal rage and the sack vote would be minimum 80%.

I would look to appoint a new manager from May. OGS just doesnt fill me with confidence in the long run. How is a man whose spent most of his decade in management in the Norwegian league suddenly going to morph into a European elite manager?
If what happened? If we beat Norwich 4-0, then beat Wolves in the cup? Get a grip.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wolves have troubled better teams than this. Anyone complaining about quality of play in a midweek game against them is being a downer.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I see all the resident idiots are out tonight. Have any of you posted anything in the post-match thread yet? I bet you all will on Sunday if as expected we get beaten.

I think we are negotiating this season rather well. Started with a thinner squad than anyone would have liked. Lost Martial for 2 months. Pogba fot basically the whole thing. McTominay missing. Our other key players have had to play a ton of football because needs must.

Got to the semis of the league cup beating Chelsea away. Unfortunate to come up against City over 2 legs. Too good for us

Won our Europa group. Let's see how far we can go. Favourites to win it. Still in the FA cup despite a difficult 3rd round draw. Fighting for 4th in the league. Decent chance of getting there

It's too much to expect the keyboard warriors to be happy with that, but surely anyone rational could look at the circumstances and concede that its been at least a decent effort so far.

Yes we're Manchester United. Yes we should be competing for titles and playing in the Champions League. We all know that. We will be back there soon enough.

Foxbatt

I would not blame Ole for getting Rashford on. To me the Liverpool game is not important apart from a three points. In reality we probably would not win that match. Beating Wolves was more important right now. But why on Earth did he play Beans?

saivet

Everyone’s complaining about him playing Rashford, yet the squads incredibly thin as it is anyway, yet he doesn’t play him and Ole gets slated for “not changing things”

The man simply cannot win
It was a pretty strong squad even without him. If he not included him in the squad and cited he needed or rest or picked up a slight knock, I think that would have been a sensible approach.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I would not blame Ole for getting Rashford on. To me the Liverpool game is not important apart from a three points. In reality we probably would not win that match. Beating Wolves was more important right now. But why on Earth did he play Beans?
I didn't see the bench so my guess is there was nobody left on there, it's the only plausible explanation.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Absolutely pathetic the state of some united fans tonight.
It really is ridiculous. So many posters on here only exist to moan. They add nothing to the forum apart from make people want to stop coming here. I doubt RAWK was ever this bad

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It was a pretty strong squad even without him. If he not included him in the squad and cited he needed or rest or picked up a slight knock, I think that would have been a sensible approach.
Yes I'm sure you guys would have gone easy on him if we'd been knocked out of the cup tonight. This is such an understanding forum

L1nk

I'm very staunchly wanting someone other than Ole , however, i mean we've won our last 2 matches, yes I was bored today and that's part of the reason I don't want him here, but we won so can't really complain much can you, through to the next round, and I think it would be harsh to criticise Ole or any other manager in the league if we lose to Liverpool on the weekend, because I think anyone probably would.

He really doesn't help himself with his pre and post game comments though, that comment on Rashford for example, I personally think it was very irresponsible to put him on knowing he was injured, i get we wanna stay in the cup, but really if he was injured he should have been left off the bench and left to stay home and recover, because now he runs the risk of losing Rashford for a longer period of time when we really can't afford to.

Utdstar01

If he was really in such condition then he shouldn't have played. Ole needs to work on his PR though.

Gasolin

Wow what a statement. This team plays just like Jose’s team with worst results. LVG called it correctly last year.
Are we going to do this again? :nono:

Jose is a manager that transition into a back 3 during attacking phase, defend very low though he likes it compact, and liked to counter, often sometimes bypassing the midfield. The full backs don't really go up that much. And he likes a pressing to be man oriented, but the team was not doing it so we created gaps that could be exploited easily.

Ole uses fairly simple tactics. You can see how he likes to not be rigid and try to win at all costs, this is very similar to Ferguson always changing the shape depending on the game, especially at the end of his era. He does encourage the full backs to go up, Martial plays as a false 9 almost and the wingers are the ones pressing when defending, and they are tasked to try to cut the side passes to the opposition full backs. And we go zonal. I think there are clear differences.

We have a discipline issues when trying to keep compact, and the team is still trying to be some kind of man oriented pressing that would allow the opposition to exploit the same things they were dong against Jose's United. And I think there, it's a mix of technical qualities, leadership and focus that we need to push the players to follow instructions.

saivet

Yes I'm sure you guys would have gone easy on him if we'd been knocked out of the cup tonight. This is such an understanding forum
I missed most of the game, so I wouldn't have said a great deal. Obviously the reaction would be different just how the Dan James thread would look different if he put away his chances.

Ultimately if Rashford played no part, the criticism facing Ole would unlikely have been, why is he resting Rashford for Sunday?!

Sing you a song

I see all the resident idiots are out tonight. Have any of you posted anything in the post-match thread yet? I bet you all will on Sunday if as expected we get beaten.

I think we are negotiating this season rather well. Started with a thinner squad than anyone would have liked. Lost Martial for 2 months. Pogba fot basically the whole thing. McTominay missing. Our other key players have had to play a ton of football because needs must.

Got to the semis of the league cup beating Chelsea away. Unfortunate to come up against City over 2 legs. Too good for us

Won our Europa group. Let's see how far we can go. Favourites to win it. Still in the FA cup despite a difficult 3rd round draw. Fighting for 4th in the league. Decent chance of getting there

It's too much to expect the keyboard warriors to be happy with that, but surely anyone rational could look at the circumstances and concede that its been at least a decent effort so far.

Yes we're Manchester United. Yes we should be competing for titles and playing in the Champions League. We all know that. We will be back there soon enough.

Just when I was giving up on the Caf at last the voice of reason .Absolutely sick to death of all the Ole haters desperately looking for excuses to slag him off , in all honesty half of the posters should be ashamed of themselves and how they call themselves United fans is beyond me .
Keep the faith mate .Ole will get us back on track

Irwin99

The Rashford sub was understandable. There really wasn't anything happening in that front line and we needed a change to shake up our pretty dire attacking display. Just one of those things sadly.

Mainoldo

Are we going to do this again? :nono:

Jose is a manager that transition into a back 3 during attacking phase, defend very low though he likes it compact, and liked to counter, often sometimes bypassing the midfield. The full backs don't really go up that much. And he likes a pressing to be man oriented, but the team was not doing it so we created gaps that could be exploited easily.

Ole uses fairly simple tactics. You can see how he likes to not be rigid and try to win at all costs, this is very similar to Ferguson always changing the shape depending on the game, especially at the end of his era. He does encourage the full backs to go up, Martial plays as a false 9 almost and the wingers are the ones pressing when defending, and they are tasked to try to cut the side passes to the opposition full backs. And we go zonal. I think there are clear differences.

We have a discipline issues when trying to keep compact, and the team is still trying to be some kind of man oriented pressing that would allow the opposition to exploit the same things they were dong against Jose's United. And I think there, it's a mix of technical qualities, leadership and focus that we need to push the players to follow instructions.
Our tactic today was send channel balls from the back to exploit space. Manly by runs by James. Yes we had the ball a lot But as usual done nothing with it. We never play between the lines and there is not shape to our attacks when using the fullbacks.

I get what your trying to say. But I think your forcing it. However I’m not going to line better players would make better use of these tactics as I feel you have to be very intelligent to play under Solskjær with good in game management.. as there isn’t much instructions to go of. I can’t see us buying an Iniesta; Messi and Xavi though so this isn’t going to take us far.

Red00012

The Martial , Solskjaer and an unpopular opinion about Wan Bissaka threads are a complete embarrassment tonight. You’d swear we were beaten.

el3mel

The Rashford sub was understandable. There really wasn't anything happening in that front line and we needed a change to shake up our pretty dire attacking display. Just one of those things sadly.
So what, this is a cup game. I would prefer preserving players for league matches instead.

meamth

Ffs, let's just pretend Sir Alex never had a boring game during FA cup midweek games...

Saying LVG football is better than Ole is just a poor attempt to throw insults.

Paxi

For Ole supporters everything bad about him is stupid. He has done it with Pogba and Rashford this season and even Maguire doesn't look that fully fit to me.
McTominay played 40 minutes with torn ligaments... Daft indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.