Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

patty123

Where was the team when SAF took over? Second from bottom.
first season , we'll call it a half season, we finished 11th, next we finished 2nd and then the one I listed so we went down hill after his first full season, where we went from 2nd to 11th and then 13th the season after

Foxbatt

I'm sure Ole wants players that want to play for United and not just collecting a fat check. We don't know whether he wanted to keep Pogba or not. It could have been the board's decision to keep him to protect the investment. Perhaps Ole was okay with letting him go if he was going to be replaced and those targets were not obtainable. Lukaku didn't want to be here. He either didn't have Smalling in his plans or Smalling wanted out. Sanchez requires no words.

There has been no reports Ole is only after high priced, high profile players. In fact, his transfer strategy is reported to be one that brings in youth and players that want to play for Manchester United, not just the latest world beater. It's not Ole's fault United paid what they did for Maguire. James was cheap and came from a lower league. I think AWB's valuation was close but again, it's not Ole's fault United may have paid more than another club. Ole provides a list of players he wants. Ed and his sidekicks negotiate the fees. I'd venture to say that if Ed came back to Ole and said this player you want is just too expensive for us, or he will only come if we pay massive wages, Ole would be okay with not signing him. When we're linked with Bruno for 65m and it hasn't happened yet, there are only 2 possible answers as to why. Either we're not interested and it's made up bullshit or we are interested and Ed thinks the fee is too high. Bruno would plug a hole we need to fill.

By the way, when we have a decent game, the opposite is also true in regards to claiming responsibility.
You are contradicting yourself. Those players he sent away or sold went because he did not want them or he told them they are not in his plans. Sanchez I agree was a good choice to get rid off. No it is not Ole's fault what United paid for Maguire. But it is Ole's fault that he could not find other alternatives to Maguire that may be a lot more cheaper. If he was not after high priced players there are plenty of players he could have bought for a lot less. As for players wanting to play for Manchester United, give me one reason why they would want to play for Manchester United if they have a choice of going to currently other successful clubs that are being coached by world class coaches?

You say if Ed says so and so player is lot more expensive for us, then Ole would be OK. Don't you understand that is the exact problem? He should be able to accept players who are not so expensive if he got rid of so many players. There are plenty of players around the World who are better than what we have for sure and who are much cheaper than British players. Everyone says our squad is poor. Look at the Liverpool midfield? Wijnaldum, Henderson and Milner. If anyone has said before Klopp took over that the CL and the potential PL champions have James Milner, Wijnaldum and Henderson in midfield people would have laughed.

L1nk

The Sun and Custis but;

"The club, however, are not considering him at the moment having invested so much trust in Solskjaer.
They accept it could take another two seasons to come to fruition but are determined to show patience, even if it means ending this season potless and outside the top six."

For gods sake I hope its not true, the naivety is staggering at this farce of a club

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

The Sun and Custis but;

"The club, however, are not considering him at the moment having invested so much trust in Solskjaer.
They accept it could take another two seasons to come to fruition but are determined to show patience, even if it means ending this season potless and outside the top six."

For gods sake I hope its not true, the naivety is staggering at this farce of a club
Well the club has hired a new PR person so maybe they are expecting to do lots of damage control

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
first season , we'll call it a half season, we finished 11th, next we finished 2nd and then the one I listed so we went down hill after his first full season, where we went from 2nd to 11th and then 13th the season after
Is there really any point in bringing up Saf's first 6 years? Any club could follow that logic and bet on their manager becoming Saf if they give them 6 years. Other big clubs sack and hire managers all the time and are succesfull. Saf was an anomaly, was here for 26 years and succesfull for 20 years. It's never happening again.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

The Sun and Custis but;

Why does Ole deserves so much time and managers like Rodgers, Conte, Klopp, etc makes almost immediate positive impact? This will be a pie in the face scenario if we do give him time and we are still plotless, and fighting for fourth place trophy in two seasons. We are already feeling the financial repercussions of not getting in the champions league and not being where United is supposed to. so I doubt we will give him time if we continue to perform poorly.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Why does Ole deserves so much time and managers like Rodgers, Conte, Klopp, etc makes almost immediate positive impact? This will be a pie in the face scenario if we do give him time and we are still plotless, and fighting for fourth place trophy in two seasons. We are already feeling the financial repercussions of not getting in the champions league and not being where United is supposed to. so I doubt we will give him time if we continue to perform poorly.
I'm wondering how many of the worlds best talents would want to join us for our current project. What else can we offer apart from overpaying wages.

el3mel

Missing out on Poch and keeping Ole for another season will be a decision we will regret for several upcoming years.

Nick7

Ole did make an instant impact though. He couldn’t sustain it however.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The Fernandes saga shows just how inept we are at making signings. This isn’t a new thing (see Herrera), we’ve been terrible at it since Gill left. I know it’s easier for you to scapegoat the manager for everything though, rather than recognise just where we are as a club right now.
The two aren't mutually exclusive - Ole is a shite manager not fit for PL imo, but that doesn't mean that Woodward is any better.

The Sun and Custis but;

It's not naivety though if they're planning on milking whatever they can from this beautiful club before pissing off... as I believe they are.

In Ole they have a manager who is barely fit for purpose, grateful to be in the job, who the fans are even more docile and placid toward due to his contributions on the pitch over 2 decades ago.

This is the home straight for the Glazers, and they do not want a proper manager who demands players and investment and a healthy, functional structure.

They do not want transparency (hence why so much of what goes on at Utd, and who is charge of what is so shady and difficult to ascertain).

They want smoke and mirrors, they want a fanbase in the dark, and they want to BUY TIME TO DRAIN ALL THEY CAN BEFORE THEY feck OFF.

My advice to all Utd fans is to hurry this process along by making it uncomfortable, and ideally embarrassing for them.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I like Ole and I do genuinely feel that we have made progress and if not for injuries to key players at key period of this season, our performance would have been far better than what it is right now. But the important question is, how far will Ole take us? I mean after getting us in top 4, will he be able to take us to the next step? There is a big question mark if he can consistently get us finishing top 4 also. Plus when we are going after European and South American players, will Ole have enough pull to get them to sign for us rather than our Rivals?

Pochettino on the other hand has proved that he can work on shoe string budget and still keep the club in top 4. One of the most important requirement at this moment for United is to keep qualifying for Champions League otherwise the revenue drop will start impacting our other operation. Pochettino I think gurantees that or atleast provide more gurantee than Ole for me atleast.

I get the "cultural reboot" Ole is trying to implement but for a club like United, I feel the job is bit too much for him. Successfully challenge for top 4 is just one basic requirement and not the ultimate goal of this club. Can we really afford to miss out on Pochettino? I don't think so.

I also think we would not have appointed Ole if Poch was available at the same time.

tonnas

The Sun and Custis but;

if this is true, I am done with this shit club. We deserve all the bad things happening, clueless board, clueless manager .

Paul_Scholes18

He should be gone even if we get top 4. Altthough we have almost 0 ambitions. Moyes deserved more time than Ole.
What on earth are we really doing at the moment.

If they back him then we should bring in 2-3 players this window to give us a chance to do something this season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He should be gone even if we get top 4. Altthough we have almost 0 ambitions. Moyes deserved more time than Ole.
What on earth are we really doing at the moment.

If they back him then we should bring in 2-3 players this window to give us a chance to do something this season.
Completely agree with this - if his job is safe then he should be being backed right now.

We need it, the window is open right now, and if you're not sacking him then why not back him?

If they don't back him but keep him on it's clearly obvious that the whole thing is just about milking the club before they feck off.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Completely agree with this - if his job is safe then he should be being backed right now.

We need it, the window is open right now, and if you're not sacking him then why not back him?

If they don't back him but keep him on it's clearly obvious that the whole thing is just about milking the club before they feck off.
Yes. Club should have been prepared to get 2 players in now. At least one midfielder to replace those who didn't impress first half of the season like Lingard, Mata and Pogba etc. They should also get rid of 2-3 players like Jones, Rojo, Lingard. Then be prepared to sell Mata and a few more in the summer and also sign 6 players.

Would be around 8 in, 6 out. It is what we need. These signings have to all make sense, if Ole fails it has to be from him truly underperforming with the squad. If not, the next manager will struggle as well.

Hawks2008

The Sun and Custis but;

No ambition or standards

This club makes me fecking sick.

UDontMessWith24

The two aren't mutually exclusive - Ole is a shite manager not fit for PL imo, but that doesn't mean that Woodward is any better.

It's not naivety though if they're planning on milking whatever they can from this beautiful club before pissing off... as I believe they are.

In Ole they have a manager who is barely fit for purpose, grateful to be in the job, who the fans are even more docile and placid toward due to his contributions on the pitch over 2 decades ago.

This is the home straight for the Glazers, and they do not want a proper manager who demands players and investment and a healthy, functional structure.

They do not want transparency (hence why so much of what goes on at Utd, and who is charge of what is so shady and difficult to ascertain).

They want smoke and mirrors, they want a fanbase in the dark, and they want to BUY TIME TO DRAIN ALL THEY CAN BEFORE THEY feck OFF.

My advice to all Utd fans is to hurry this process along by making it uncomfortable, and ideally embarrassing for them.
Someone could expose their sabotage of this club for the world to see, and they could still replace each and every one of the match-going supporters that would stop going as a result. This is corporate America at its most vile. Transparency is ironically the biggest sin of them all in their eyes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

The Sun and Custis but;

We in trouble.

DamoK

I think it's about just milking the club ,they are going nowhere. People are deluded if they think we are going to spend what we need in January or in the summer. Our board have proven over and over again that they have no interest in footballing matters but hey who cares they are making money right ? If they had ambition they would have brought players last January. If they had ambition they would have gone out and got a top class manager ! We are finished as a big club. They don't want to spend the cash to get us back to the top it's obvious.

Kopral Jono

if this is true, I am done with this shit club. We deserve all the bad things happening, clueless board, clueless manager .
it's probably true and I'm with you. The sheer incompetence from top to bottom is just astonishing.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Never ever seen anything like it. It’s like a competition of incompetence. Glazers. Woodward. Ole dole. Three little pigs.

Protests outside Old Trafford. Boycotting United related products. In the end boycotting games.

That’s the only solution!

The Glazers is like a cancer destroying this beautiful club. Local supporters must make Ed Woodward unwelcome everywhere he goes. Abuse him, call him whatever it takes. Make him uncomfortable being anywhere near Manchester United.

Ole! He’s fooling you. Money is his motivation. A few years as a United manager and he will make a fortune. Be my guest in two three years when he walks away smiling all the way to bank. I don’t buy a word coming from his mouth. False and rotten in to the core. Mark my words.

Bojan11

Besides Liverpool the other clubs have been appalling. City have had spells but they had 5 defeats. Chelsea have had 8 defeats yet we 5 points behind them. If we can’t get top four this season under Ole then we never will.

Andrew Richmond

Ole! He’s fooling you. Money is his motivation. A few years as a United manager and he will make a fortune. Be my guest in two three years when he walks away smiling all the way to bank. I don’t buy a word coming from his mouth. False and rotten in to the core. Mark my words.
If you truly believe OGS only motivation is money then the only ‘fool’ is you, a really stupid statement.

Eddy_JukeZ

Besides Liverpool the other clubs have been appalling. City have had spells but they had 5 defeats. Chelsea have had 8 defeats yet we 5 points behind them. If we can’t get top four this season under Ole then we never will.
Exactly the reason he should be fired in the summer.

The league has declined a lot and we're still fighting for top 4 despite him having a full year in the job.

edgecutter

He will be sacked in February when this transfer window closes, it's just the kind of thing our board will do to cover up a window of no coming ins.

Asger

Oh look who's acting the fecktard again @fergiesarmy1, I support the manager at the game always, that's what United fans do, we're feckwits like that, cheered Moyes, LVG and Mou to the bitter end.

Wanna go on Wednesday fella to your first game ever? My seats are free again and no fecker wants them because Ole has made us so wank, @SuperiorXI had them last week v. Wolves for a tenner each. Can barely give away tickets right now.
To you, free, just PM me and they are yours
Failing that, if Superior wants them again for 10 quid each, they are his. :)
You are proving how spoiled our fans are!

Asger

All those coaches had a better squad and had owners that knew that a lot of new players was needed. Klopp first season was not great but he got players he wanted, and still gets them.

Last two years Ole and Mourinho was not getting the players they wants.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

The Sun and Custis but;

Been saying it. We haven't reached bottom.

Enigma_87

You know who

The Sun and Custis but;

As long as there are sheep that clap and don't raise their voice this is going to be the normal status quo. They deserve every bit of what they are served.

KekiZeki

Why? Because after Ole's gutting of the squad the poor fecker would inherit a lame duck.

I'd much prefer Ole to see through his season and let a potential new manager have a full Summer to beef up the squad and coach them his methods, confidence is important in football and as Mourinho is proving at Spurs, hopping in mid-season is a nightmare, you end up trying to coach on the fly.
This "gutting" as you call it was needed a lot sooner than now. People call out for over-paid players who are passed it to go but every time we got someone out someone just like that came in, only a bit younger but still not good enough. If anything the next manager will have an easier task with less deadwood and Ole would get all the blame. You'd think he's a former Liverpool player how some here go on about him.

He didn't fix our tactics yet, or the midfield, but he brought back some confidence in youngsters and got rid of a lot of deadwood, let's credit him for what he's done right. Rashford was always a good player but under Solskjaer he is becoming top player, we didn't see that under Mourinho and I don't think Mourinho is better than Pochetino for Spurs, they didn't upgrade on managers, so why cite him as a "proof" that getting managers mid season is a bad thing?
If the manager is good then it's best for him to get started right away, is it not?

Enigma_87

You know who
This "gutting" as you call it was needed a lot sooner than now. People call out for over-paid players who are passed it to go but every time we got someone out someone just like that came in, only a bit younger but still not good enough. If anything the next manager will have an easier task with less deadwood and Ole would get all the blame. You'd think he's a former Liverpool player how some here go on about him.

He didn't fix our tactics yet, or the midfield, but he brought back some confidence in youngsters and got rid of a lot of deadwood, let's credit him for what he's done right. Rashford was always a good player but under Solskjaer he is becoming top player, we didn't see that under Mourinho and I don't think Mourinho is better than Pochetino for Spurs, they didn't upgrade on managers, so why cite him as a "proof" that getting managers mid season is a bad thing?
If the manager is good then it's best for him to get started right away, is it not?
The "gutting" has been done by both LvG and Mourinho before him. It's hardly something new.

Under LvG first season 13 players left till September.

Under Jose around the same number and then Schneiderlin, Depay, Schweinsteiger were sold in the winter.

The difference is that those players were replaced and under Ole they weren't.

Asger

I like Ole and I do genuinely feel that we have made progress and if not for injuries to key players at key period of this season, our performance would have been far better than what it is right now. But the important question is, how far will Ole take us? I mean after getting us in top 4, will he be able to take us to the next step? There is a big question mark if he can consistently get us finishing top 4 also. Plus when we are going after European and South American players, will Ole have enough pull to get them to sign for us rather than our Rivals?

Pochettino on the other hand has proved that he can work on shoe string budget and still keep the club in top 4. One of the most important requirement at this moment for United is to keep qualifying for Champions League otherwise the revenue drop will start impacting our other operation. Pochettino I think gurantees that or atleast provide more gurantee than Ole for me atleast.

I get the "cultural reboot" Ole is trying to implement but for a club like United, I feel the job is bit too much for him. Successfully challenge for top 4 is just one basic requirement and not the ultimate goal of this club. Can we really afford to miss out on Pochettino? I don't think so.

I also think we would not have appointed Ole if Poch was available at the same time.
Would not have changed anything. Now he would be in same footsteps as Ole, waiting by the fans being sacked.

KekiZeki

The "gutting" has been done by both LvG and Mourinho before him. It's hardly something new.

Under LvG first season 13 players left till September.

Under Jose around the same number and then Schneiderlin, Depay, Schweinsteiger were sold in the winter.

The difference is that those players were replaced and under Ole they weren't.
But if we replace them as we did so far we just leave another mess if Solskjaer goes.

I know Young is not it for us anymore, but him leaving leaves us a player down, thing is, we need to replace him with a superior player, not just someone younger for the sake of him being younger.

Enigma_87

You know who
But if we replace them as we did so far we just leave another mess if Solskjaer goes.

I know Young is not it for us anymore, but him leaving leaves us a player down, thing is, we need to replace him with a superior player, not just someone younger for the sake of him being younger.
After Ole is gone and if more progressive manager comes in a defensive full back in AWB, championship level/rotational player in James and slow on the turn Maguire will be seen just as big of a mess as the one he inherited.

His signings so far hasn't been such a huge success, but rather just what we all expected and overpaid for.

James is a good signing as an utility player - but we had those during Jose and LvG.

Maguire we overpaid massively both in wages and transfer sum.

AWB - we overpaid for a full back that can be used in a particular role/system.

If we replaced those players we would've had a genuine chance for CL berth. That means more quality players will want to join us in the summer, rather than scraping the barrel and overpaying massively again in order to attract good players.

Status
Not open for further replies.