Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergiesarmy1

When you add 140m worth of transfers to a team that finished sixth you don't expect to finish 5th. Leicester and Chelsea dont have better squads than us plus Chelsea had a transfer ban last summer. Also the squad is the manager fault as are the injuries. We needed reinforcement in the midfield ole decided to spend all his budget on defense. The manager certainly is the problem. So is woodward. They are both way out of their depth.
Your forgetting the 100m worth sold.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah, he's not the problem.

When we're playing against a League One relegation fodder. He and others found their level today.

Mr PG

LVG was pretty good in the World Cup with style of football then came to old Trafford and served shit on a stick so I wouldn’t bank on that pal.
Lvg had no players and was playing with academy players. Cameron-Bothwick jackson, cleverly in midfield, etc. Lvg instilled a structure that wasn’t there when he came as well . Add to that half the team was injured and he still got blamed.

fergiesarmy1

jlecesne

How does HE know what's right for the club? 42 points from 32 games since March - relegation form. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.
Maybe he does maybe he doesn’t. But I will give him a little bit of credit for not going out in a panic and overpaying for someone just to save his job. He thinks he has until the summer to get more players. Whether or not that’s true remains to be seen. But he deserves some credit for not bringing in the players to save the club over the next 3-4 months that are going to be bad long term buys.

jamesjimmybyrondean

That's how it used to be. The manager had control to build his team. it was like that under SAF and it was kept that way post SAF, until now.

Different point of matter, but, personally i don't agree. I think Ole is the man to the rebuild, and he'll get us to a point where we have a team with an identity, a mindset and the ability to challenge. Whether he gets us over the line who knows, but at that point is the time to change it up. On the whole he's put the long term of the future above his own, can't see many other managers without the Utd connection doing that .

Yes he does have the final say, as he should. But after the 'club' also proves. If Marcel Bout (or someone else on the committee) says no to a transfer and Ole says yes, it wont go through. So significantly different. And your're simply making things up about the Maguire transfer.

See above, nobody else is getting the players and going to Ole "here you go, play this person we just bought without your approval". And short term options is part of what got us in this mess in the first place.

In theory, the structure in place is absolutely the right way to go. In practical terms it takes a few windows before you start to see the results, but so far so good imo. Should have been done sooner instead of trusting the managers too much, but even though it was the wrong choice you can see why it was kept that way. Anyway, that's spilt under the bridge now. The question now is who is on the committee, and are they good enough.
What's this talk about identity building a team with an identity?? You look at the best teams in the world and their identity is down to the how good the coach and the players are. Liverpool and City are both different teams with different identities but their identity can match each other. Do you think the identity Ole has or will give us can go against these kind of teams, can the identity formed face off PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid and dominate them or go toe to toe with them??

The only identity I see on the pitch resembles that of a midtable team. Our mentality or personality which helps form an identity is that of a midtable team. "We lost but we gave our all", "City put out their starting 11 means they respect us". This is what our coach is instilling in our team. He's making us think like a midtable team. Like a team suffering from inferiority complex. That's out identity

momo83

Massive Snowflake
You realise we are closer to 14th than 4th and only 11 points from the relegation zone right
It’s funny when Ole in say “but we’re only 6 points away from 4th” and forget that being only 4 points away from 14th, with Spurs and Wolves also only 6 points away from 4th makes its very unlikely that we’ll get 4th and more likely we’ll finish around 6-7

passing-wind

5th place is about where you would expect this squad to be. The clubs above us have a better first 11 and squad (especially considering the injuries we have had this season.) The manger is not the problem, he has not been given nearly enough time or nearly enough money.
Absolute Rubbish

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Ok, lets say that we have hired some random manager from division one or championship instead of Ole. Would you still think like this? "Needs time" and other shit?
We should not really hire some random manager from division one, but yes, they would have needed time and the same would anyone else. Including Poch. The situation we were in when he arrived was this
  • Squad completely demoralized by Jose having a meltdown and lovers spat with Ed
  • No proper fullbacks, loads of CB's but most of them were poor and/or incredibly injury prone, no depth in midfield or attack outside the obvious starters
  • Second highest wage bill in the league despite most of the squad consisting of deadwood
We have been sliding towards decline since 2005 and after Fergie left that slide accelerated badly. We have done some absolute terrible transfer business the last couple of years and ended up with a squad on massive wages, but at the same time a squad were we were looking to rid ourselves with about half the players. The process of clearing deadwood has luckily started, but there is still loads more that needs to be done.

At the same time we badly need players in. 7 have gone now and just 3 have come in. At the same time we still have loads more: Baily, Jones, Rojo, Mata, Shaw, Gomes, Chong, Lindgard, Matic and Pereira all needs to be sold and replaced. About 9 more players needs to go(10 if you include Pogba). Of course we will never replace everyone of them with an expensive signing and we will probably promote some youth, but that is the harsh reality of it.

We have made 3 signings, but imo we need about 5-6 additional signings before we can talk about having a competitive squad.

meamth

5th place is about where you would expect this squad to be. The clubs above us have a better first 11 and squad (especially considering the injuries we have had this season.) The manger is not the problem, he has not been given nearly enough time or nearly enough money.
....and add to the fact that the clearing out plans aren't as competent as we first thought.

That has to be blamed on Ed (for prioritizing selling first) and also Solskjaer (for believing the squad is good enough).

Injury hit us hard, but that's not an excuse. Don't get me wrong though, I still would let Ole taking the helm until January 2021.

I think Poch is a really good manager.

If he’s have done here what he did at Tottenham you would have all wanted him sacked this year.
If Poch had taken us to the CL final last May, and had a win-rate like he did at Spurs whilst spending so little money... I wouldn't have wanted him sacked at all so that's codswallop.

I think Spurs will live to regret their decision unless they are prepared to back Jose to the hilt in the market like no manager before.

Last edited:

BlackBen

Maybe he does maybe he doesn’t. But I will give him a little bit of credit for not going out in a panic and overpaying for someone just to save his job. He thinks he has until the summer to get more players. Whether or not that’s true remains to be seen. But he deserves some credit for not bringing in the players to save the club over the next 3-4 months that are going to be bad long term buys.
So you are suggesting Ole is responsible for bringing in players hence he is also responsible for the current state of the squad. So why should he deserve credit for selling players without replacing them first and leave the squad so weak?

Last edited:

BlackBen

Obviously none of us lot get to choose the chosen one but I’d give them more than 13 months unless it was a complete disaster but let’s not kid ourselves UNITED fans have been calling for his sack after about 5 months which is sad.
Genuine question did you want Moyes to be given more time?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
So you are suggesting Ole is responsible for bringing in players hence he is also responsible for the current state of the squad. So why should he deserve credit for selling players without replacing them first and leave the squad so weak?
The problem he (and any future manager) is facing is that the squad was and still is filled with shite players on big contracts with no real value in the market. No club in their right mind was going to pay big sums for washed up players like Sanchez, Fellaini, Smalling, Young and Darmian. They earn big money here for sitting on their arses, so why leave for another club and get paid half or less?

7 players have gone, assuming we should have replaced them all through transfers that would easily have cost upwards of 350 million£. Considering we barely have spent 150 million net the past two years there is no reason to think we have that amount of money just lying around. Just look at the Bruno transfer saga. This is a player that does well in Portugal, but might very well flop hard in the EPL, and the quoted prices are all 50 million and upwards

RedIan

The job of manager is to manage the squad/team. i dont hear anyone argue that deadwood players needed to be moved on. However that has to be managed carefully, 7 players out just 3 in is plain bad management and would inevitably lead to a thin squad and a lack of cover in critical areas that would be found out if key players got injured. (They did)
The question is, whilst ole is manager, who Managed these transfer movements - Im not sure its all on Ole but i dont think anyone knows for sure.

Odin

He can't buy players without the moneypinchers dishing out some, can he? But he can still be brave enough to let players go that he feels don't belong in the future of this club, expecting them to be replaced partly by new purchases, partly by youth promotions. And he can refuse to buy players he doesn't see working well with the squad. I don't know exactly who's to blame here, do you?

Odin

The job of manager is to manage the squad/team. i dont hear anyone argue that deadwood players needed to be moved on. However that has to be managed carefully, 7 players out just 3 in is plain bad management and would inevitably lead to a thin squad and a lack of cover in critical areas that would be found out if key players got injured. (They did)
The question is, whilst ole is manager, who Managed these transfer movements - Im not sure its all on Ole but i dont think anyone knows for sure.
Exactly, we don't know for sure. Some fans want OGS gone because of the match performances, some based on our position in the league table, while others add gut-feeling and conspiracies from click-bait articles to their reasoning. Performances have been inconsistent, as many fans predicted before the season. Our 5th spot is about where you'd expect, slightly better than I had feared. Based on our current manager's actual statements, I hear him admitting the need for additional signings without heaping pressure on the upper hierarchy. Would you want it any different going into negotiations?

Yes, the squad is paper thin. It seems to me the management have accepted a rough ride this year, "seems to me" being a subjective term, I know... I base this on statements from OGS in interviews and press conferences, and I claim no other sources or my bellys ability for divination. Insistence on not overpaying is a statement for the future. I actually think OGS can take us a few good steps forward, but I'm not sure he can take us to domestic and european domination. How can anyone be? Those calling for Ole to be sacked immediately, are they sure that any other manager will do a much better job building for the future with the players and upper management we have?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jippy

Alabaster Codify7

Because he didn't play for us? Results weren't much different, nor were performances. We may have won the title but we were an ageing team of legends that needed replacing and money was not forthcoming; similar to this situation, where Ole has a very young team that needs sturdy reinforcements.

What's different? Moyes and Ole, neither of them were displaying modern, attacking football.

Is it just because Ole played for us, then?

youngrell

Because he didn't play for us? Results weren't much different, nor were performances. We may have won the title but we were an ageing team of legends that needed replacing and money was not forthcoming; similar to this situation, where Ole has a very young team that needs sturdy reinforcements.

What's different? Moyes and Ole, neither of them were displaying modern, attacking football.

The squad Ole inherited is light years away from the one Moyes got.

Alabaster Codify7

The squad Ole inherited is light years away from the one Moyes got.

Every manager we've had since SAF has had problems to contend with left by the previous manager. Every single one of them. Ole chose to strip this squad to the bare bones, it's defeinitely worse than Moyes' squad though, agreed.

fergiesarmy1

Nope Moyes has never in his career in management played an attractive style of football, that Fulham game was the end for me with him plus he had no clue thinking Everton players were what we needed, telling Rio fecking Ferdinand how he should defend like Jagielka etc.

Whether your can see it or not the games we win have usually been pretty entertaining under Ole better than anything I have seen under the last 3 clowns anyway and that’s with a pretty terrible midfield which hopefully will be addressed over the next six months or so.

L1nk

Nope Moyes has never in his career in management played an attractive style of football, that Fulham game was the end for me with him plus he had no clue thinking Everton players were what we needed, telling Rio fecking Ferdinand how he should defend like Jagielka etc.

Whether your can see it or not the games we win have usually been pretty entertaining under Ole better than anything I have seen under the last 3 clowns anyway and that’s with a pretty terrible midfield which hopefully will be addressed over the next six months or so.
But neither has Ole? He's had a worse managerial career than Moyes, far worse in fact and whilst i agree with your point about the Everton players, it's all media, so if that's to be believed then you also have to believe that Ole thinks Sean Longstaff etc are what we need, when they aren't good enough for even Newcastle.

Again, i can agree on some of the matches we have won, we've looked a bit more entertaining, but in the matches we've lost we've looked a hell of a lot more clueless

fergiesarmy1

But neither has Ole? He's had a worse managerial career than Moyes, far worse in fact and whilst i agree with your point about the Everton players, it's all media, so if that's to be believed then you also have to believe that Ole thinks Sean Longstaff etc are what we need, when they aren't good enough for even Newcastle.

Again, i can agree on some of the matches we have won, we've looked a bit more entertaining, but in the matches we've lost we've looked a hell of a lot more clueless
He wanted the double deal originally of fellaini and Baines to go with all those clueless no mark staff he also brought with him while firing a back room that had all that experience. That wasn’t media talk about Baines we made the bids, think he was about 29 at the time as well.

If the season finishes as a disaster fine I’d look at different options but even with dithering Dave we didn’t make the change until all cups had gone and also top 4. People have the pitch forks out for Ole and we aren’t out of anything yet (apart from winning the league but so are the other 17 clubs not in first place so no shame there) probably will be out the league cup come Thursday night but going out to City is less embarrassing that fecking Sunderland.

Mainoldo

Exactly, we don't know for sure. Some fans want OGS gone because of the match performances, some based on our position in the league table, while others add gut-feeling and conspiracies from click-bait articles to their reasoning. Performances have been inconsistent, as many fans predicted before the season. Our 5th spot is about where you'd expect, slightly better than I had feared. Based on our current managers actual statements, I hear him admitting the need for additional signings without heaping pressure on the upper hierarchy. Would you want it any different going into negotiations?

Yes, the squad is paper thin. It seems to me the management have accepted a rough ride this year, "seems to me" being a subjective term, I know... I base this on statements from OGS in interviews and press conferences, and I claim no other sources or my bellys ability for divination. Insistence on not overpaying is a statement for the future. I actually think OGS can take us a few good steps forward, but I'm not sure he can take us to domestic and european domination. How can anyone be? Those calling for Ole to be sacked immediately, are they sure that any other manager will do a much better job building for the future with the players and upper management we have?
In short yes.

To give an analogy I would also expect Antone Griezmann to play better than Daniel James even in our current circumstances.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole in.

Glazers and Woodward out first. Any competent board and owners would hire somebody better than Ole so you'll all get your wish in the end anyway.

If Ole goes first this horrible cycle starts all over again, Woodward and Glazaers let off the hook and we'll be no further forward in 2022/23 than we are now. In fact we'll be having same issues as now.

el3mel

Last season Leicester were 9th and we were 6th. We spent 150m and bought their defender while they spent 100m. How did they come to have a better squad than us with this? Maybe it has something to do with their managers? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

romufc

Ole in.

Glazers and Woodward out first. Any competent board and owners would hire somebody better than Ole so you'll all get your wish in the end anyway.

If Ole goes first this horrible cycle starts all over again, Woodward and Glazaers let off the hook and we'll be no further forward in 2022/23 than we are now. In fact we'll be having same issues as now.
Exactly, I think the board from the chanting know that the fans are somewhat behind Ole, hence why they will not sack him either.

Ole came in at a time of negativity, got some positivity back into the club, had the summer of overhaul and it seems the club have failed to back him and it has cost us.

If I had a choice between selling Lukaku and getting Maguire or keeping Lukaku, I would have done the same. The fact that Herrera left, was not one Ole.

Fellaini should have left a while ago, so it is the club's prerogative to sign players not ole.

Andersonson

Managerial career is such a vague arguement. How old is Ole? He is a very young manager... That he failed at Cardiff doesnt say much really. And he was 40(!) years old while managing them.

What he has done in Norway is pretty good, even though is a silly league, he still has done very well there. Promoting youth and sold them elsewhere in Europe.

There is no questioning Ole's work with youngsters, he has done very well with them. Both here and in Norway. And thats excatly whats needed now. Building a core of players who bleeds Man United.

So far he has done well in that regard, and letting the 'deadwood' go is a good thing. Squad size doesnt really matter this season.

Let the man do his work and let us see after a couple of seasons. Building a team is a long term project. If he manages to win anything this season is a fantastic job

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Some of our most memorable victories since Fergie quit have been under Ole. Also the only one in the premiership that has stopped the Liverpool juggernaut so he seems to have something.
Eh what? Aside from PSG away, we had 0 memorable wins.

We've had more memorable losses for fecks sakes.

fergiesarmy1

Yeah. Its easy when your recent games include losses to Burnley, Arsenal, Liverpool and City.

Besides we have an excellent record at the Etihad.
It was more the performance than the result, best one I’ve seen at the Etihad could have easily had five by halftime.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It was more the performance than the result, best one I’ve seen at the Etihad could have easily had five by halftime.
No, I agree. Its the best I've seen us play in a long time and the only time we've played exciting football under Ole since the Chelsea win.

L1nk

Managerial career is such a vague arguement. How old is Ole? He is a very young manager... That he failed at Cardiff doesnt say much really. And he was 40(!) years old while managing them.

What he has done in Norway is pretty good, even though is a silly league, he still has done very well there. Promoting youth and sold them elsewhere in Europe.

There is no questioning Ole's work with youngsters, he has done very well with them. Both here and in Norway. And thats excatly whats needed now. Building a core of players who bleeds Man United.

So far he has done well in that regard, and letting the 'deadwood' go is a good thing. Squad size doesnt really matter this season.

Let the man do his work and let us see after a couple of seasons. Building a team is a long term project. If he manages to win anything this season is a fantastic job
It is not vague though is it, i mean he's been a manager for what, over 10 years now and he's done absolutely nothing of note except bad things or things that are not worth writing home about. So getting a team relegated, and then nearly getting them relegated again in the next season before having to be sacked to save them from it doesn't say much? What? would you be saying the same thing if we hired another manager who hadn't played for us and had done that exact same thing, no, you wouldn't. You can say what he did in Norway was pretty good but then his team got better AFTER he left, so, really, how was it any good?

The fact is, every manager plays youth, especially if they are told to, hell Rashford got his start under LVG and arguably McTominay got his under Mourinho, it's a complete myth that we need someone of "United DNA" to blood in some youngsters and that's what the club needs right now, well, every club should be doing this, so should every manager, it's not something exclusive to an ex player of United that gives him some secret sauce to doing it.

I'm sorry but people like you would see us sink down even lower based purely on dreams, in the hopes that contrary to all the evidence, he might become good here one day because he used to play for us, you have no actual tangible evidence to back up your claims, then we will dither and let better managers go elsewhere and we are left back at square 1 again hiring someone we shouldn't hire because we have no choice now.

Sorry but no, he hasn't "earned" any time here, people are clamouring for it because they want the romanticism of him becoming the next Sir Alex, it isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.