Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
A mistake, I think. But obviously I love Ole and I hope for the best. Unfortunately, I don't think this will work out too well. I would rather see Pochettino.
Can we stop this now, and especially in here. One of the absolute best things about Ole being appointed manager is Poch the overrated will not be at United for the foreseeable future (if ever)

He's either going to stay at spurs or go to Madrid.

So how about just having a thread with some positivity, some congratulations and nice messages to Ole. Let's leave the Poch rubbish to another thread.

Congrats Ole! This news made my day and I'm chuffed for the lad. Couldn't happen to a nicer or more deserving bloke!

Bojan11

It's not a cheap gamble. They'll find it really hard to sack him if he struggles big time because of the fan response and bad PR it would generate.

Our fans over the last few years have shown they'll do anything to absolve the manager of the blame. Whether that's Moyes, LVG or even a thundercnut like Mourinho. Now imagine that but with the whole club legend factor.
How would they find it hard to sack him? If come next season he’s doing a lousy job then he will be under pressure regardless of his status as a legend.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Aren't we supposed to appoint a DOF first before letting him make a decision to pick the manager?

Complete reactionary club without a plan, doubt we will ever make it back to the top.

You should be ashamed of yourself with a disgraceful post like that.

Raw

3 years is a good amount of time. My expectations are:

Year 1: Comfortable top 4 and a slight title challenge. Win a domestic cup and reach the CL QF (assuming we get top 4 this season).
Year 2: Very strong title challenge. Challenge on all fronts and reach the CL QF.
Year 3: Very strong title challenge. Win a big trophy and reach CL SF.

Obviously the CL expectations depend on who we get drawn against but towards the end of the 3 years I want us becoming one of the favourites to win it. With how strong the competition is in the PL I'm not sure about winning the title, but I want us to be in the mix. It's been too long.

We absolutely HAVE to nail it in the upcoming transfer windows. We can't afford another dud window of signing flops and deadwood.

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think it's the right appointment. The wolves game especially was disappointing but it's up to the quality of the players at the end of the day. Defensively we've improved but as a team we can be more solid. We have so much to do, that it's good it's out of the way. What we need to remember is there is rebuilding to still be done. So hopefully this will spur us to go on another run and then we can focus because we could lose a few from now till the end - it won't change the fact that the players back him. That he wants to play good football and that he acknowledges we've business to conduct in the market.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It's not a cheap gamble. They'll find it really hard to sack him if he struggles big time because of the fan response and bad PR it would generate.
Harder than not giving him a contract?

It might be hard to sack him. But it would probably also have been very hard to not give him a contract when this season is over. And it would have been very hard for a new manager to come in after OGS at this point (almost regardless of how this season ends).

OoopsMisclick

Announced too early.

I admire all the positivity from others but i'm not convinced he's the man to get us back to winning things.
Time will tell, hopefully he proves me wrong :)

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Fantastic news! Well deserved. I expect him to get things under control and bring us back to the top.

Love ole! Now let's hope we get a DOF in and have a proper transfer window.

Cloud7

That’s that then. Congrats to Ole. Amazing work that he’s done so far, and he clearly has all the players on board with him as well. Now let’s get him some new players in the summer to push for the title next season :devil:

We really do still need to put the proper structure in place to handle transfers though.

Matt007a

Happy for Ole and not at all surprised by the appointment. I'd have liked to see us wait until the end of the season just to see how he copes with defeats and how he performs once that "new manager boost" wears off. I think Poch would have been a safer option, but I understand he's probably extremely difficult to get from Spurs right now.

He needs backing in the summer now. At least 3/4 positions desperately need improving otherwise next season will be a disaster and the few top class players we have will want out.

I seem to remember being told we'd have a DoF before the new manager? Always had a suspicion that was Ed giving us what we wanted to hear and not intending to follow though.

Sylar

We had no right finishing 4th anyway, he was 11 points off Chelsea when he took over.
Agreed, but goals have defo changed hence the appointment being made now.

Let me guess!
You are a Poch fan?
Nope, why would a question about Eds mentality mean im a Poch fan?
Im delighted with Ole, look on the first page for my initial reaction.

Hopefully the club will have some patience with him and let him build brick for brick.
That's what your club now need.
Agreed. I just hope hes fully backed. No point making Ole (or anybody manager) then not fully backing them with smart signings with both a short and long term plan

bludsucker

Well deserved appointment. He has done wonders with the squad he inherited. Needs to be given at least three windows to be judged properly. Need a RW and a world class CB

crossy1686

career ending
Very happy with this and thoroughly deserved. Let's get through the season and hopefully get a top 4 spot then back the man to the hilt in the summer and watch the magic happen.

Raw

What happens when we end the season trophyless and outside the top four?
Being trophyless is irrelevant now. Ole isn't winning the PL or CL, nor should we expect him to.

As for top 4, as long as we truly fight for it and show top performances then I don't mind if we miss out. It was a massive task to get back in it when he took over. I'll worry if we get more performances like the Wolves away one and slink to a pitiful 6th.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So all that talk about taking their time and there being no need to rush... and once again only consider one candidate. I love Ole but will the club never learn? I wonder which big-name possibilities we will miss out on this time. As I said, I love him, his support staff are great but I'm just not sure he has the know-how and clout to get the big-name players we need in the summer and worry that he doesn't realise how far we are from the elite teams... and is he tough enough to tell the likes of Pogba to feck off when it's needed?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Much prefer an appointment like this than another huge name. He doesn't have that pressure. He can only achieve the unexpected, and I think he will.

Just need to have a good summer regarding transfers.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Very happy for him and given the recent run it's no doubt deserved but I have this weird feeling that we could and should've waited until summer with the decision.

Also wasn't the next manager supposed to be appointed under the DOF?

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Perfect timing.

After a couple of losses, would be the perfect morale booster.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
nEw DoF eXpeCtEd bEfOrE wE hIrE a neW mAnaGer
:rolleyes:

Congrats to Ole though!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Obviously he was going to get the job - with the results being as they have been since he started (recent blip aside) if anyone else had come in the board and fans would always have wondered if we'd let something potentially special go. It feels like United again for the first time in years - you cannot put a price on that.

Raw

Very happy for him and given the recent run it's no doubt deserved but I have this weird feeling that we could and should've waited until summer with the decision.
I feel you, but if this announcement meant that some of our players end up signing contracts and we can focus on finding transfer targets then I'm glad it's official. I'm sure players don't want to make a huge decision when they don't even know who'll be in charge of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.