Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambob

Why is there no thread banner?! Flipping LVG got one, this is quite frankly the most outrageous thing on this site since the last time glaston said anything.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Brilliant news!

Hopefully the club back him in building a young exciting team and the fans remain patient.

If we can stomach 1/2 more years of rebuilding we could have something special to come with many quality young players.

Reactions: langster

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What happens when we end the season trophyless and outside the top four?
Nothing? the fact we've even got close to the top 4 and actually competing for a trophy is a miracle.

The damage was already done by Jose, this is a free hit for Ole. If you told me we'd be in the top 4 race with 8 games left I wouldn't have believed you when he was appointed.

MrBest

Think it is ultimately the right decision but the wrong timing. We should of waiting until the end of the season. We need no distractions.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand it's nice as he's immensely likable. On the other, though, I will now and for the foreseeable future find it hard to enjoy it when you lose, just because I like your manager.

Here's hoping he shows a Mourinho-like persona once the pressure starts building.

Michael T

Congratulations Ole, what an audition! Thank you.
So, an exciting race for a top four finish ahead, and I can't wait to see the sort of players Ole will be looking to bring in this summer. Let's get those contract extensions sorted quickly too.
I'm taking it as a given that Ole will retain the same back- room staff as we have now. I wonder if we'll be getting that Director of Football in soon now too?

Sylar

3 years is a good amount of time. My expectations are:

Year 1: Comfortable top 4 and a slight title challenge. Win a domestic cup and reach the CL QF.
Year 2: Very strong title challenge. Challenge on all fronts and reach the CL QF.
Year 3: Very strong title challenge. Win a big trophy and reach CL SF.

Obviously the CL expectations depend on who we get drawn against but towards the end of the 3 years I want us becoming one of the favourites to win it. With how strong the competition is in the PL I'm not sure about winning the title, but I want us to be in the mix. It's been too long.

We absolutely HAVE to nail it in the upcoming transfer windows. We can't afford another dud window of signing flops and deadwood.
This is the key part. Not only getting it right, but ensuring there is backing for this to be allowed to happen. Not signing people for the sake of it but those who will fit a style of play.

Part of me is thinking since we let Fellaini go, there is a plan for that. And the long term signings of people like Martial. Just hoping we can get Herrera, DDG, Rashford, Pogba all down long term and committed too. And then supplement with youth as well as key signings that will help the team overall.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I feel you, but if this announcement meant that some of our players end up signing contracts and we can focus on finding transfer targets then I'm glad it's official. I'm sure players don't want to make a huge decision when they don't even know who'll be in charge of them.
Yeah that's the flipside obviously.

Tribec

If we can maintain, the fun, the excitement and thrill of the past 4 months for the next 3 years, I don't care if we don't win any trophies. Watching United recently has been a throw back to the days of old. It's like we are getting our club back and I'm enjoying watching us once more. Ole has done that, now the hard work begins to maintain that and possible throw us a bonus or two in terms of trophies.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Nothing matters until Woodward hands the reigns of transfer guru to someone competent.

Suv666

Great news. Hopefully we can sort out DDG's contract and appoint a DOF soon.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Think it is ultimately the right decision but the wrong timing. We should of waiting until the end of the season. We need no distractions.
I'd say trying to get certain targets in the door in the summer had a lot to do with it. Players are talking to clubs now through agents and want clarity.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Deserved appointment. Let’s see if Ed can give him the foundations to succeed.

If Ole is given funds and license to be involved in the recruitment of a RW, CM and CB, you should be a lot closer to challenging for the bigger prizes next season.

A DoF who has a strong backbone wouldn’t go amiss either, someone needs to reign Ed in the next time he wants to sign a big name player to boost the club’s profile.

Bojan11

I feel you, but if this announcement meant that some of our players end up signing contracts and we can focus on finding transfer targets then I'm glad it's official. I'm sure players don't want to make a huge decision when they don't even know who'll be in charge of them.
Transfer targets should have been handled by the supposed DOF we were looking to appoint. I guess that won’t happen now which is bullshit. Van Gaal is right. If this appointment fecks up then Woodward definitely needs to feck off. All we need to do is identify and sign good players.

Trizy

To be fair before he was appointed there was no expectation to finish top 4 or win a trophy. Those expectations would have been the same for any manager given how damaged our season was. The fact that we're talking about top 4 now is amazing in itself.

I am happy with the appointment but I feel we should have waited until the summer. There was literally no benefit to him getting the job earlier than that. In the meantime it's not beyond the realms of impossibility for us to lose several games within the coming weeks and finish with the season with a terrible taste.

AgentP

Congrats Ole! Now that the appointment is out of the way, I hope Ole and Woodward are already working on new signings and putting in a long term plan for the future.

Glow

Too early appointment. We've just lost two games and it's now in the rest of the season we'll see how this works out when the happy "honeymoon days" are over. I'm sure Ole would have waited until june for the decision, so why should'nt the management too?

UnitedWeStandOne

Happy for Ole and not at all surprised by the appointment. I'd have liked to see us wait until the end of the season just to see how he copes with defeats and how he performs once that "new manager boost" wears off. I think Poch would have been a safer option, but I understand he's probably extremely difficult to get from Spurs right now.

(...).
I don't think that is the case at all to be honest. Ole has W14 D2 L3. If any other manager got the job and had delivered as much as one less point in his first upcoming 19 games: there would be an outrage! I would surely back that outrage.... because if it works, don't feck with it! Ole also got us playing like United again.

The appointment is great news!

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

stu_1992

Great news! Delighted for Ole! It's a great job he's done since he's been here, so let's hope that continues and improves for his 3 years (and perhaps beyond). I'm surprised to see it confirmed now and not at the end of the season, but at least that means we can properly plan for next season and a crucial summer transfer window.

StonedhamsterZA

Aren't we supposed to appoint a DOF first before letting him make a decision to pick the manager?

Complete reactionary club without a plan, doubt we will ever make it back to the top.
What sort of opinion is that? Are you saying that having Ole in the last 3 months hasn't been a good thing? What would a DoF say? "Don't hire Ole."

World Game

Negatives
- Distraction during a crucial top four race
- Too early to know if OGS will cut it at the top level. Could've waited until after the Barca games.
- Weird that he gets the position after two losses in a row. If they had already decided to appoint him, why didn't they announce before? Was there something good in our two losses that they hadn't seen before that tipped the decision? This just further sends out a message that the club rewards failure/mediocrity which is what has been happening with player contracts the last few years.
- If he fails between now and the end of the season, it will cost us more money to sack him. Was there a negative in waiting? It's not like signing him up early saves us any money?

Positives
- No Poch

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Well done Ole. His dream has come through. Wishing him all the very best for this most difficult job.

Fellow fans - please don't turn on him as soon as we have bad results. He's one of our own, so let's have some patience and see what he's building towards.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why now? What happens if the season goes to shit between now and May, will he still be the man to take us forward then?

Another example of the how poorly run the club is tbh

Mickson

Can we stop this now, and especially in here. One of the absolute best things about Ole being appointed manager is Poch the overrated will not be at United for the foreseeable future (if ever)

He's either going to stay at spurs or go to Madrid.

So how about just having a thread with some positivity, some congratulations and nice messages to Ole. Let's leave the Poch rubbish to another thread.

Congrats Ole! This news made my day and I'm chuffed for the lad. Couldn't happen to a nicer or more deserving bloke!
You are not going to decide what I want to say about this. Not now, not ever. I wasn't planning on discussing Poch either, I just don't think Ole is the right choice in the long term. But as I said, I would be happy to be proven wrong and obviously good luck to our Norwegian hero.

shaky

We rightly blame Mourinho for the awful first half of the season and look forward to next season with some optimism for a change?

Snafu17

Great, well deserved, now can we get a DOF in or at least start making somewhat sensible decisions regarding contracts and transfers, I'd be fine with either honestly.

Patrick08

Is it a 3 year contract or a 2+1 extension type one? In my view the latter one made more sense. Also we should have announced it after the end of the season in my view.

Anyways, he did absolutely great till now but the real job begins now. We will need attacking swagger back with new signings next season.

TRUERED89

Nothing? the fact we've even got close to the top 4 and actually competing for a trophy is a miracle.

The damage was already done by Jose, this is a free hit for Ole. If you told me we'd be in the top 4 race with 8 games left I wouldn't have believed you when he was appointed.
Precisely, Ole's real judgement will come next season. He's done superbly thus far and has more than earned his shot as the manager. If we beat Barca the Café will go potty, the players really need to get stuck in now, I'm excited for the future.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Not sure about that.
It didn’t work with two successful managers so let’s hope Ole can do better...he has what they didn’t have in the MU attitude and the best backroom staff

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What was the point in doing it now instead of at the end of the season? It's not like Ole was going to be snapped up by someone else in that period.

I hope it doesn't bite us in the arse like that stupid mid-season Mourinho extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.