Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole doing a good job?

- 3 wins the last 18

- Worst win % of any permanent Man Utd manager.

- Worst start to the season in almost 30 years.

- Best player want out, clear limits in the team.

- De Gea hesitant to sign new contract

- Breaking negative records left, right and center
Bold points aren't related to Ole, and a chunk of your stats are from last season. As far as Ole is concerned, I and most reasonable fans will judge from his work this season. He needed time to implement his own regime and needs time after that to start showing that in the team.

You talk about bad starts, it's not like it's unbeknownst. Look at La Liga. Real have 1 win in 3 themselves. Barcelona are fecking 8th in the league from their start. PSG have lost a league game in France, as have Bayern. Dortmund are stuttering.

In our own league Spurs have made a slow start, Arsenal look just as beatable despite their improvements, Chelsea are no better than us.

Bar Liverpool and City, virtually every top side is making a slow start. I suggest you evaluate Oles first full season after more time. Sure 19% is a shit win ratio but his system, training and first layer of transfers have only just completed now. I may not agree with some of Ole's transfers or his subs or his formation, but I'm going to wait to see how this season properly pans out. I can see a change in how we build out play and our energy off the ball, so I believe we are making positive changes.

USREDEVIL

Ole doing a good job?

- 3 wins the last 18

What negative records?

rotherham_red

It's our worst start to a PL campaign in decades...
No it isn't. It's equal at worst, with LvG's first season (where we finished 4th btw) and is actually better than the 2007/8 start to the season (I don't need to tell you what happened at the end of that season)

Mainoldo

So you are in the camp, I dont care what he does at Manutd, he has no pedigree so lets sack him?

So you want a manager with pedigree? ala Jose and LVG?
Yes all managers with pedigree will fail!!!!

Womp

idiot
He would be given time, if the progress was clear to see. We play Mourinho football, only pointlessly running around more and situating the players higher up the pitch. That has nothing to do with players.

You need great players to win things, you don't need great players to start getting your team playing well. Klopp showed it at Liverpool, was clear what Pep was going for at City. Feck, even Lampard's boys are playing some decent stuff. Eddie Howe at Bournemouth got them playing some good stuff. He's had a summer with the players now and we are looking just as clueless as we consistently did last season post that PSG game.

Your only option of attack can't be to counter attack, especially when teams have figured that out and we have looked absolutely clueless ever since, losing the majority of our games since teams stopped giving us space to counter attack. We look great when we are gifted that space though, see Chelsea.

He's just not good enough. Clinging onto the fact that he won some trophies in a piss poor league years ago, doesn't justify anything. Molde are first in their league without him, he got Cardiff relegated and did poor in the championship too.

I love the guy, but the longer he stays here as manager, the more he is going to tarnish his image imo. Incredible player but simply not good enough as a manager.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Peter Lim trying to buy United? You must be joking. He is not rich enough to do that. He is not even among the top 10 Singaporeans. It will be either a Chinese or an Arab who can afford to buy United now IF The Glazers want to sell it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Your missing my point. These players or only better than ours in your head because of form. De Gea started average and finished even worse. Pogba is more consistent than our team and the Steven Gerrard of then wouldn’t get in this team his legs were gone. So if Rodgers can do it why can’t a top quality manager? I fail to believe that team last year wasn’t top 4 and I fail to believe a good manager can’t get this team top 4. Taking into account the state of Chelsea; Spurs players running out of steam and heart and Arsenal just being Arsenal.

I truly believe Rodgers would get this team top 4.
Fair enough, you rate our players far higher than I do and Chelsea and Spurs lower than I do.

Leftback99

Ole doing a good job?

- 3 wins the last 18

So what's your solution?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We only need to see the players Ole has brought in. All 3 of them immediate impact and one of them just awarded the POTM and deserved it. I think we will be a very exciting team by next summer when he could bring in 3 or more players in. Then i expect him to compete for trophies. I'm pleased with the progress both on and off the pitch as of now.
Next season, and then next season, or maybe the season after.... until he is sacked

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So what's your solution?
Solution has to be give him until January or end of the season to show his abilities as a coach. If he hasn't seriously shown those signs and developed players/a cohesive team (or the signals of one) then you look for the next manager (and get a bloody DoF).

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Peter Lim trying to buy United? You must be joking. He is not rich enough to do that. He is not even among the top 10 Singaporeans. It will be either a Chinese or an Arab who can afford to buy United now IF The Glazers want to sell it.
Why do people think it will be an individual? Most Arab and Chinese billionaires would not spend £2b buying a company unless if they had other investors with them.

Example of Singapore, you think Lim doesn’t know other multi billionaires from Singapore?

Patience

Ole doing a good job?

- 3 wins the last 18

You forget to make another bullet point:

- Currently overseeing the turnover of the mess of a squad Ed Woodward created by constantly firing and hiring managers: Ole has got rid of most of the trouble and has bought young, hungry promise. Looks as if Woodward has finally found out that playing Football Manager in the real world by buying the likes of Ibra, Schweinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez, Mata,etc, etc doesn't work and so now has decided to go with a young manager who loves the club and knows the club inside out to get rid of all the bullshit from the dressing-room and turn it back into a dressingroom filled with players who want to play for us. This - of course - will take time, maybe three years to get right, but despite that, it is STILL our quickest route back to the top. It certainly beats firing ANOTHER manager and hiring another "world-class manager" to drop another pile of bullshit on our dressingrom; further complicating the whole squad.

Ole is doing the right thing for us.. in the long-term. He is cleaning up the absolute mess created over the past five years. Is he the manager who will bring us back to the top table of European football? Probably. Probably not. But he is the man to clean up our squad and get the identity back at the club and inside the dressingroom. In three years time we will have a squad filled with hungry players that will include academy graduates (Greenwood, Chong, Garner, Gomes, Williams) and promising players bought such as James, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Maddison, Rice/Longstaff.

If at that stage Ole is not the one to bring that squad over the line in terms of winning top titles; it will be time to bring in a Pochettino or whoever is proving to be a class winner then to add a sprinkle or two to the squad as they see fit to get us right back to the top. But they will be starting with a clean squaad full of hunger, rather than the mess LvG or Jose took on.

We need to clean the squad and get our identity back!

So sacking Ole now? Only idiots feel that way. I have never heard such nonsense. This squad needs cleaning up (it would turn into an absolute mess if we brought in another manager now with different ideas) - give Ole the three years or so to get our identity back and to build a dressingroom full of promise... then take stock once our identity is back.

Stop being impatient - and chill out. Give Ole the time and support he needs to turn this ship around.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

- Currently overseeing the turnover of the mess of a squad Ed Woodward created by constantly firing and hiring managers: Ole has got rid of most of the trouble and has bought young, hungry promise. Looks as if Woodward has finally found out that playing Football Manager in the real world by buying the likes of Ibra. Schweinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez, Mata,etc, etc doesn't work and so now has decided to go with a young manager who loves the club and knows the club inside out to get rid of all the bullshit from the dressing-room and turn it back into a dressingroom filled with players who want to play for us. This - of course - will take time, maybe three years to get right, but despite that, it is STILL our quickest route back to the top. It certainly beats firing ANOTHER manager and hiring another "world-class manager" to drop another pile of bullshit on our dressingrom; further complicating the whole squad.

Ole is doing the right thing for us.. in the long-term. He is cleaning up the absolute mess created over the past five years. Is le the manager who will bring us back to the top table of European football? Probably. probably not. But he is the man to clean up our squad and get the identity back at the club and inside the dressingroom. In three years time we will have a squad filled with hungry players that will include academy graduates (greenwood, Ching, Garner, Gomes, Williams) and players bought such as James, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Maddison, Rice/Longstaff.

If at that stage Ole is not the one to bring that squad over the line in terms of winning top titles; it will be time to bring in a Pochettino or whoever is proving to be a class winner then to add a sprinkle or two to the squad as they see fit to get us right back to the top.

But as for sacking Ole now - I have never heard such nonsense. This squad needs cleaning up (it would turn into an absolute mess if we brought in another manager now with different ideas) - give Ole the three years or so to get our identity back and to build a dressingroom full of promise... then take stock once our identity is back.

Stop being impatient - and chill out. Give Ole the time and support he needs to turn this ship around.
That’s a long bullet point

hocane

If we had perfect club structure and immensely competent board and ambitious owners then we could probably get away with an average coach.
But we are miles away from this, and that's why we need the sharpest manager brains who can do some magic and get a lot out of a limited player squad.

Leftback99

If we had perfect club structure and immensely competent board and ambitious owners then we could probably get away with an average coach.
But we are miles away from this, and that's why we need the sharpest manager brains who can do some magic and get a lot out of a limited player squad.
Like Mourinho? Which managers have ever got magic out of a limited squad in the PL?

Jericholyte2

You have to feel bad for Ole.

He accepts that he’s going to crop the deadwood from the squad, hopeful for a season of few injuries before he starts adding quality. Within 4 weeks we now have our starting ST, NO.10, LB, RB all injured!

momo83

Massive Snowflake

He accepts that he’s going to crop the deadwood from the squad, hopeful for a season of few injuries before he starts adding quality. Within 4 weeks we now have our starting ST, NO.10, LB, RB all injured!
Not really. He had a summer window, which is what people, initially, said to judge him on and he’s left our squad weaker then when he took over.

If you have to feel bad for anyone. It’s Mourinho. Finished second and wasn’t given the backing that he wanted to take the club forward. Now on many things i sided with the board, eg refusing to sell Martial to replace him with a 29 year old.

As for Ole’s window, even if he didn’t say. I’m sure if the board refused him players there’d be press leaks. Just like there have been for the players the board refused or made difficult for Ole to sell. Eg asking for £25m for Rojo.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Like Mourinho? Which managers have ever got magic out of a limited squad in the PL?
The minute a manager gets magic out of a limited squad that squad is no longer viewed as limited but merely doing what’s expected.

If Wolves came up and got relegated or stayed as a lower table team no one would have said but this team should regularly be beating the top 4 teams and be top 8. If Ranieri didn’t win the league with Leicester and instead got relegated, few would have thought he was underachieving with them.

Leftback99

The minute a manager gets magic out of a limited squad that squad is no longer viewed as limited but merely doing what’s expected.

If Wolves came up and got relegated or stayed as a lower table team no one would have said but this team should regularly be beating the top 4 teams and be top 8. If Ranieri didn’t win the league with Leicester and instead got relegated, few would have thought he was underachieving with them.
Wolves were never a favourite for relegation, they did slightly better than expected after heavy investment. I knew someone would say Leicester, a one off where everything clicked unlikely to ever be repeated again, Ranieri has never got near repeating anything similar anywhere else.

Foxbatt

I can't see the Board refusing any reasonable price to buy quality players. It is not as if there are limited number of players around that is better than what we have now. Any decent club has better midfield players bar Pogba and we could have and should have upgraded on McTominay, Mata and Lingard for sure.
But Jose has to be blamed too as he did not want players who play football. Look at De Jong and De Ligt. We had looked at De Ligt for sure according to our head of scouting but United were not interested at that time. We should have even bought him after the EL Final but we did not. Barca only got De Jong last year according to the pre arrangement he had with them. Can you imagine De Ligt in defence and De Jong instead of Matic in midfield?

fergiesarmy1

I’m on his side but Sod’s law tells you it was going to happen the moment we left ourselves in this position. Phil Jones will be up front by the end of December :lol:

ash_86

- Currently overseeing the turnover of the mess of a squad Ed Woodward created by constantly firing and hiring managers: Ole has got rid of most of the trouble and has bought young, hungry promise. Looks as if Woodward has finally found out that playing Football Manager in the real world by buying the likes of Ibra, Schweinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez, Mata,etc, etc doesn't work and so now has decided to go with a young manager who loves the club and knows the club inside out to get rid of all the bullshit from the dressing-room and turn it back into a dressingroom filled with players who want to play for us. This - of course - will take time, maybe three years to get right, but despite that, it is STILL our quickest route back to the top. It certainly beats firing ANOTHER manager and hiring another "world-class manager" to drop another pile of bullshit on our dressingrom; further complicating the whole squad.

Ole is doing the right thing for us.. in the long-term. He is cleaning up the absolute mess created over the past five years. Is he the manager who will bring us back to the top table of European football? Probably. Probably not. But he is the man to clean up our squad and get the identity back at the club and inside the dressingroom. In three years time we will have a squad filled with hungry players that will include academy graduates (Greenwood, Chong, Garner, Gomes, Williams) and promising players bought such as James, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Maddison, Rice/Longstaff.

If at that stage Ole is not the one to bring that squad over the line in terms of winning top titles; it will be time to bring in a Pochettino or whoever is proving to be a class winner then to add a sprinkle or two to the squad as they see fit to get us right back to the top. But they will be starting with a clean squaad full of hunger, rather than the mess LvG or Jose took on.

We need to clean the squad and get our identity back!

So sacking Ole now? Only idiots feel that way. I have never heard such nonsense. This squad needs cleaning up (it would turn into an absolute mess if we brought in another manager now with different ideas) - give Ole the three years or so to get our identity back and to build a dressingroom full of promise... then take stock once our identity is back.

Good post.

hocane

De Gea doesn't wanna sign a new contract and Pogba want out.
They don't wanna play under Ole and don't respect him as a coach.

haram

De Gea doesn't wanna sign a new contract and Pogba want out.
They don't wanna play under Ole and don't respect him as a coach.
This was happening before Ole as well. You might be right in that they may not respect Ole as a coach but it's probably more to do with the fact that the club is going nowhere.

dev1l

Team is in transition which means that it s highly unlikely that club will challenge for major honours for the next 1-2 seasons. That s one of the reasons why Pogba and DeGea want out.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I really like Ole, he has a great demeanor, attitude and personality. I'm saddened to see him under so much pressure, scrutiny and criticism. I'm convinced if he had taken over immediately after SAF his reign and United's results would have been a lot better.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Also first time ever to lose against Palace in Premier League.
It's almost like you could blame the previous worlds most expensive footballer for losing the ball in a key position for that one. I'm sure the manager told him to do that.

romufc

Dumb comback as pedigree is earn’t. So all managers without pedigree do fail.
Dumb comment when it suits you?

Zidane and Pep were without pedigree with better squads given the chance to earn it.

Why can you not give Ole some time to earn some pedigree?

Mainoldo

Dumb comment when it suits you?

Zidane and Pep were without pedigree with better squads given the chance to earn it.

Why can you not give Ole some time to earn some pedigree?
Mate Zidane and Pep were successful at the biggest clubs in world football, first time of asking. The only way this is comparable to Ole would be if he got the job after Fergie and won the league or champions league..

So give me a proper example of a manger with no pedigree managing for 10 years getting a big job and succeeding?

romufc

Mate Zidane and Pep were successful at the biggest clubs in world football, first time of asking. The only way this is comparable to Ole would be if he got the job after Fergie and won the league or champions league..

So give me a proper example of a manger with no pedigree managing for 10 years getting a big job and succeeding?
Yes.. okay how about Sarri?

So in your eyes, what is a manager with pedigree?

Yes, because they didn't have one of the best squads at the time. Ole has the 4-6th best club in this country, let alone in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.