Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
To be fair, that was in April when most of us were thinking the same, not when he was appointed.
Well i was against from day one but then emotions and love towards Ole were high and you needed to start every post with " i love Ole more than life and he is great, i want his baby but..." so after i got dozen angry replies for post where i said that he could be new Di matteo, Pierce or Sherwood i went in hiding for a little bit.:lol::lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
To be fair, that was in April when most of us were thinking the same, not when he was appointed.
Most of us? Half the Caf want him to stay I thought. Probably the same half that excuse all his short comings with either the players not being good enough, or that Woodward didn't back him properly (both are true but don't really explain his lack of ability).

mu4c_20le

Most of us? Half the Caf want him to stay I thought. Probably the same half that excuse all his short comings with either the players not being good enough, or that Woodward didn't back him properly (both are true but don't really explain his lack of ability).
I'd say the majority of the caf wanted Ed to get it done because the media wouldn't stop talking about it and were concerned it would affect the players.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Go back to when he was appointed in this thread and read for yourself.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Jamie Carragher: “If this continues into Christmas/January, this is Manchester United, 1 win in 11 away from home, with a guy like Pochettino who could take this club forward, they would not be doing their job properly if they weren’t in contact with him”
Carragher is spot on. If ManUtd board is not in contact with managers like Poch then they are not doing their jobs at all.

Good chance we might struggle in December going by the number of games and our thin squad, it might get very ugly with league position. Just have to hope Poch is ready to come back and wants to take PL job instead of trying different leagues.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd say the majority of the caf wanted Ed to get it done because the media wouldn't stop talking about it and were concerned it would affect the players.
I was originally against it, then after PSG my head was turned, momentarily. Since then I've just been hoping there is a genius in there somewhere. But I always thought the timing was daft.

Go back to when he was appointed in this thread and read for yourself.
I did read a couple of pages. Overwhelming positivity. One prescient post:

It's not a cheap gamble. They'll find it really hard to sack him if he struggles big time because of the fan response and bad PR it would generate.

Our fans over the last few years have shown they'll do anything to absolve the manager of the blame. Whether that's Moyes, LVG or even a thundercnut like Mourinho. Now imagine that but with the whole club legend factor.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's not a cheap gamble. They'll find it really hard to sack him if he struggles big time because of the fan response and bad PR it would generate.

Our fans over the last few years have shown they'll do anything to absolve the manager of the blame. Whether that's Moyes, LVG or even a thundercnut like Mourinho. Now imagine that but with the whole club legend factor.
Wow, you nailed it here.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It's quite interesting to read the fanfare that greeted Ole's appointment. Let this be a lesson to you all:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/ole-gunnar-solskjær-permanent-manager.446090/
I was skeptical of his appointment from the start. Yes, the run was magical at the time, but it felt too good to be true to me. What i wanted the club to do was wait until the end of the season to assess things properly.

The big turning point for me was PSG at home in February when he had no answer to Tuchel on the night. The matches vs Spurs & Arsenal highlighted his in-game weaknesses, where we were extremely fortunate to come away with the wins by the end.

This was March 26th, 2 days before he was appointed:

What if Ole and co aren't capable of anything more than being defensive and counter-attacking? Would you still trust them to take over?

I have these doubts myself. I'm not sure I can say I trust them fully atm.

I certainly hope this is not Ole's actual philosophy.
By April:

Seems to me that Ole is all about playing up to fans romanticism with the nice words but once I look past all that and focus just on the performances, I'm not impressed at all. We play like pure rubbish. At this point, we don't even look like a football team.

I'm hoping this will change in the summer when we have a clear out but I'm not holding my breath after the renewed contracts to Young & Jones.

In short, I don't have high hopes for next season. I think him & the staff are just bluffers.
It's not just one result. I have not been happy since after Arsenal in the FA cup (25th Jan). So 3 months. Since then, there have been 2 other matches where we played well in. Chelsea away in the FA cup and Fulham away on 9th Feb. Even then, let's be honest, Chelsea were in turmoil under Sarri who didn't know whether he was coming or going and Fulham are a travesty.

Performances have just been glossed over because Ole was riding the 'chosen one' wave. In truth, the performances haven't changed since Jose was here. I don't care about 'lack of rest' being the cause for the performance today. West Ham deserved to beat us today. It's not acceptable no matter what. What are we actually doing in training? We look like we're not coached properly which is completely on Ole'.
Handing him that contract has felt like a noose around our neck ever since.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

I was originally against it, then after PSG my head was turned, momentarily. Since then I've just been hoping there is a genius in there somewhere. But I always thought the timing was daft.

I did read a couple of pages. Overwhelming positivity. One prescient post:
February was the height of the optimism i think, but can you really blame the fans after over 2 years of depressing Mourinho football and behind the scenes drama? In March the cracks were starting to show as we scraped past Southampton, but in April is where the bad run really starts, and it's unreal how it happened right after the contract. By May the players had given up, despite there still being a glimmer of hope of top 4.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
February was the height of the optimism i think, but can you really blame the fans after over 2 years of depressing Mourinho football and behind the scenes drama? In March the cracks were starting to show as we scraped past Southampton, but in April is where the bad run really starts, and it's unreal how it happened right after the contract. By May the players had given up, despite there still being a glimmer of hope of top 4.
No, I don't blame anyone. I was highly skeptical myself but then the romance suckered me in too. I was just making the point that there weren't too many who were set against it when it happened.

Jojo <3 Mou

I am not of fan of Solskjaer. I thought this job was too big for him from day 1 and I have seen nothing that tells me otherwise.

There has been a lack of any objective commentary from the media toward him which is in startling contrast to the attention that is generally on a United manager.

I think that its full time for United to actually start making coherent plans, which sadly might seem him there for the rest of the season, while they get a manager and co that they trust to rebuild. Pochettino doesn't have a track record of trophies but he has shown that he can build a team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The players are learning, the manager is learning. It's all part of the experience. The important things is that this game showed that that this team has it in it to come back even on one of the toughest grounds in the premier league. Would have been wonderful to get all 3 points but not today. We will learn from this.
:lol: learning

croadyman

I am going to be totally transparent and say my views on him haven't changed since he was permanently appointed.

I just knew that Woody (Toy Story) would make a kneejerk decision after all the emotion of Paris because that's what people who haven't a clue about football do.

Last edited:

LucasXXII

Learning :houllier:

What's the place for a player to improve his craft if he's not up to the task at the moment? Either the reserves or the lower leagues. Should this not apply to a manager as well?

Andersonson

So, what do fans want?

To fire Solskjaer and replace him with a manger who didnt win an away game for 11 months?

What about standing behind your manager for atleast one full season, let the kids develop and see what he can bring to the table after a full season with a couple of windows under his belt?

Just a reminder that Klopp came 8th with LFC his first season..

Sterling Archer

What hindsight ? If you're making a defensive sub when you're leading by 1 goal then you're asking for trouble. It might or might not have led to a goal, but it was stupid nevertheless. You don't throw your momentum away to the opposition when you had just got it and just leading by 1 goal. We also made it at spare of 5 minutes from end of main times. The goal was just the punishment we deserved. It might not have come but we deserved it.
It's also the opposite of the supposed Manchester United mentality that's governing us finally. I find it rather hypocritical. I expect it from Jose, who not only does it but also well. Not from someone that's been conning us for months with talk of United heritage and spirit.

Foxbatt

Klopp had won the Bundesliga and was known to be a progressive manager. In fact Ed tried to get him but he failed. What has Ole done apart from the league in Norway?

He'sRaldo

For the most part, popular fan opinion hasn't been the best barometer for the steps the club should take, probably because none of the things we tend to focus on and be myopic about have ever been the main issue.

In any case, that should at least cause some introspection for any believing the next new player/ manager will be the saviour.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For the most part, popular fan opinion hasn't been the best barometer for the steps the club should take, probably because none of the things we tend to focus on and be myopic about have ever been the main issue.

In any case, that should at least cause some introspection for any believing the next new player/ manager will be the saviour.
Firstly, "popular fan opinion" is the reason Ole got the Manchester United job in the first place. And yeah, it turned out of be a poorly thought out, knee jerk and eventually incorrect decision. However it's rather strange to use the same brush in defending the same manager given the cause of his appointment. Regardless, it's pretty presumptuous to assume that popular opinion is mostly wrong. Klopp was a fairly popular choice among Liverpool fans to take them to new heights. It has happened. Pep was a popular choice among City fans. It has worked. Brendon was a popular choice among Leicester fans and it had worked out well. I'd argue the contrary to be honest. Mostly, the fans given their understanding of their own football clubs, tend to know what has to be fixed. In the case of Manchester United, we all know it's hiring a top class manager and replacing Woodward with a more football oriented CEO/DoF. Given Woodward has an extremely high standing at the club, having been through two managerial failures previously , clearly the manager is the one that's much more likely to go.

And that brings me on to the second part - I don't believe everyone genuinely geeks a new manager comes in, snaps his fingers and things magically become wonderful. It'll take time and effort on anyone's part to resolve this. However having a top class coach gives you a chance. Having a mediocre one does not. With the latter you can do replace as many screws as you won't, it's not coming together. I'd like to us to replace Woodward for sure. But given the past, I know replacing the manager is more likely. Plus, he's the on field boss and were really struggling in this regard right now.

I Am Zlatan

My biggest complain yesterday. It was a stupid sub that cannot be defended.
the thing is, many bad decisions are being made regularly, just some are not as obvious, and some fans miss it, that’s why Ole in fans keep supporting him, also that’s why we are where we are...

RedPnutz

Don't think many hate the manager. Most simply realize that he's out of his depth.

Also, so called people? :lol:

When the going gets tough, you make the right decisions. We aren't. Were sitting idly having made the wrong one.
Feels like hate really.....

People... because I don’t know what do call most here. By definition a supporter supports, which is far from the vitriol we see here.

Decisions are only correct or not in hindsight. Good decisions can have poor outcomes at times, and vice versa especially in complex system. I don’t think we are sitting idly, I think we are observing the outcomes of decisions across time. The compound effect is real and it is necessary to allow time. Of course, bad decisions can compound which is what we have seen since the Moyes era.

It is no mean feat trying to turn this around but to me, it is reassuring that we are moving in the right direction though the progress might be imperceptible to many.

RedPnutz

Klopp had won the Bundesliga and was known to be a progressive manager. In fact Ed tried to get him but he failed. What has Ole done apart from the league in Norway?
Despite those supposed credentials Klopp still came 8th in his first season. Maybe that should be a clue that it’s not an easy task to turn a team around?

VJ1762

Despite those supposed credentials Klopp still came 8th in his first season. Maybe that should be a clue that it’s not an easy task to turn a team around?
I mean, if you keep losing players, it was inevitable that the team was primed to come crashing down.

jamesjimmybyrondean

People talking about Ole's promotion of youth, clearing of deadwood, long term plan for the club and his three good summer signings like he is the only one capable of doing this. Just because he's been the first manager to do these things ever since Ferguson left doesn't mean he's the best at it. A good DOF and manager can do all of that and more.

Ole is failing at the most important part which is the performance on the pitch. I'm not talking about results because I understand we're in the rebuilding stages. I'm talking about actual tactics and style of play on the field

Get a proper DOF and leave all that talk about promoting youth and long term vision to him. Get a proper manager and let him work on tactics and style of play

Last edited:

croadyman

It's as clear as day to see that Ole is not the man to take us to the next level. I feel it's amazing how low his standards are, having played for Fergie and all. What was all that BS about being 4-5 nil down?

No reason to wait, sack Ole the minute Poch feel ready. Poch does have other interesting options though, with the Bayern job being available and maybe even Real Madrid. If the board don't splash the cash to get Poch I'm afraid we'll end up with someone incompetent once again, or even worse, be stuck with Ole. The man is driving us straight into mediocrity.

The selection of managers out there are very poor at the moment and Poch is a proven manager who can build for the future aswell.
Ole has got to be careful or we will end up seeing him break even more records than Moyes did in that autumn of 2013.

Woody (Toy Story) should be fired before Ole but time to wake up and accept the fact that isn't happening. I can really see an LVG December of 2015 coming the way things are going at the moment.

I know there are people who probably think I hate Ole,however I just feel he is out of his depth and should gracefully resign.

The best option is a caretaker until the summer and secure Pochettino before Bayern get there first.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Many of us said it this summer and before that too, it has little to do with hindsight.
Another midfielder was needed, but so was a quality CB. We should have gotten both. Of course now with 3/5 CM's out injured a CM is a lot more pressing, but truth be told the list of "needed" transfers is still quite long.

As i said, i have no idea why we did not get more players. In the 18/19 window we only got Fred and Dalot with a net spend of 50 million, and this season we sold Lukaku and had a net spend of 90 million. We all know Jose had his meltdown because he would not get the money to bring in Maguire, but the question is why? Considering we spend 152, 137, 53 and 146 the four years before that, that does seem a bit suspicious to me

Have the board/Woody cut off the money flow? Do they want us to trim the squad before we make new additions?

He'sRaldo

Firstly, "popular fan opinion" is the reason Ole got the Manchester United job in the first place. And yeah, it turned out of be a poorly thought out, knee jerk and eventually incorrect decision. However it's rather strange to use the same brush in defending the same manager given the cause of his appointment. Regardless, it's pretty presumptuous to assume that popular opinion is mostly wrong. Klopp was a fairly popular choice among Liverpool fans to take them to new heights. It has happened. Pep was a popular choice among City fans. It has worked. Brendon was a popular choice among Leicester fans and it had worked out well. I'd argue the contrary to be honest. Mostly, the fans given their understanding of their own football clubs, tend to know what has to be fixed. In the case of Manchester United, we all know it's hiring a top class manager and replacing Woodward with a more football oriented CEO/DoF. Given Woodward has an extremely high standing at the club, having been through two managerial failures previously , clearly the manager is the one that's much more likely to go.

And that brings me on to the second part - I don't believe everyone genuinely geeks a new manager comes in, snaps his fingers and things magically become wonderful. It'll take time and effort on anyone's part to resolve this. However having a top class coach gives you a chance. Having a mediocre one does not. With the latter you can do replace as many screws as you won't, it's not coming together. I'd like to us to replace Woodward for sure. But given the past, I know replacing the manager is more likely. Plus, he's the on field boss and were really struggling in this regard right now.
I was actually thinking back before Ole, into Mourinho and LVG territory. The decisions we made back then regarding those managers were popular as well, but ultimately haven't turned out as we all thought they would.

Now I understand that you see me defend Ole and think "Ole in" but that isn't the case, I think he hasn't done enough to be secure in his job. However, I also think that a lot of my (and others') rulings are emotional ones and thus, have a decent probability of ending up like previous popular suggestions. Add in the fact that we're all mostly clueless about this stuff except with hindsight, and it's a high probability.

With regards to the bolded, I somewhat agree but, as I alluded to in my previous post, I still think we'll eventually be back to square one because that isn't the main issue at the club, and the main issue at the club will always drag us back to square one regardless of anything else, unless it is resolved.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
People talking about Ole's promotion of youth, clearing of deadwood, long term plan for the club and his three good summer signings like he is the only one capable of doing this. Just because he's been the first manager to do these things ever since Ferguson left doesn't mean he's the best at it. A good DOF and manager can do all of that and more.

Ole is failing at the most important part which is the performance on the pitch. I'm not talking about results because I understand we're in the rebuilding stages. I'm talking about actual tactics and style of play on the field

Get a proper DOF and leave all that talk about promoting youth and long term vision to him. Get a proper manager and let him work on tactics and style of play
Well, we saw what style we can actually do against Chelsea, Wolves, Norwich, Brighton and what tactic he can actually do to get the result against Liverpool & Leicester. Tactics & style of play will not work if the players are just not good enough. How can we dominate the match with Pereira & Fred in midfield. Can Pep even implement his system with those two in his midfield plus Lingard? I doubt it.

The real positive sign is the man management changes that he made in our squad, improving & developing players, giving young & youth players chances & minutes, recruitment is spot on & developing leadership in the squad. Result has been up & down but when you got lot of injuries & young players in the squad, we have to expect inconsistent.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Clearing the deadwoods and turning us into a balding forest

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Gary Neville saying on Sky get fears Solskjaer won’t get the time to see the fruits of his work unless he spends @ManUtd money in January. “Has to protect himself.”
Spending money "to protect himself" than to do what is right for the club. I'm pretty sure I've heard about someone named JoMo or something at the club who tried to protect himself first and foremost than the club, even the canteen lady despised the guy.

What's different this time? oh right, it's his mate.

Pogba it's always about you, you, you, isn't it? I'm sick of this - Gary
Ole, please, this is your time and should be about you you you - Also Gary

Gobshite Gary strikes again.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Spending money "to protect himself" than to do what is right for the club. I'm pretty sure I've heard about someone named JoMo or something at the club who tried to protect himself first and foremost than the club. Even the canteen lady despised the guy.

What's different this time? oh right, it's his mate.

Gobshite Gary strikes again.
"The minute that [executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward] gave Mourinho a contract extension - which some would say was unnecessary part way through a season - but believing in a manager, showing the faith, he had to then buy him the centre-backs," Neville told Sky Sports News.

"Irrespective of the manager, Manchester United need new centre-backs. My view is that [Harry] Maguire and [Toby] Alderweireld would have been good options. If they cost £120m to bring them in, then that's what you have to do.

My view would be that he's got to stay until the very end of that contract and be backed until the end of that contract if you're going to give a contract extension as the CEO of the club.

"At the moment, there is definitely an angst there between the club and the manager. Don't get me wrong - the club has supported him. But you can't three quarters build a house - you have to finish the job. United need serious football people to guide what they are doing.
Nothing has changed, Neville is consistent with his words and backing every manager ManUtd hired.

Thiagoal

Well, we saw what style we can actually do against Chelsea, Wolves, Norwich, Brighton and what tactic he can actually do to get the result against Liverpool & Leicester. Tactics & style of play will not work if the players are just not good enough. How can we dominate the match with Pereira & Fred in midfield. Can Pep even implement his system with those two in his midfield plus Lingard? I doubt it.

The real positive sign is the man management changes that he made in our squad, improving & developing players, giving young & youth players chances & minutes, recruitment is spot on & developing leadership in the squad. Result has been up & down but when you got lot of injuries & young players in the squad, we have to expect inconsistent.
The first sensible post I’ve read in ten minutes on this thread! All this drama from a tough away game with a midfield of Fred and Pereira! Put McT in their and I believe we’d have controlled that game on Sunday! Let’s also not forget our best performance of the season was the game previously

Kemizee

The first sensible post I’ve read in ten minutes on this thread! All this drama from a tough away game with a midfield of Fred and Pereira! Put McT in their and I believe we’d have controlled that game on Sunday! Let’s also not forget our best performance of the season was the game previously
Really?? You think the fans who want this clueless manager out are predicating their decision on just 'a tough away game'? How many matches has Ole displayed ineptitude for you to come to the realization he is not the best manager for us? The defending of this man us becoming bizarrely stupid!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Klopp brought on Gomez for Firmino after his late goal on Saturday. Clueless manager.
They scored in the 85 minute, us the 79th. Doesn't seem much but just think it showed panic from Ole that he didn't trust his defence and should have just let his forwards keep them under the cosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.