Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

Human beings deserve a certain level of respect anyway. Ole deserves respect even when being criticised. It's really not that hard to understand is it?

People calling him Golem and the like? You think that's acceptable?
No need for name calling, but surely that's applicable across all walks of life. But feck me, he deserves a massive amount of criticism. He's in a job where every detail will be scrutinised but unfortunately, that's all part of taking a PL job, especially taking over such a massive club.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It likewise can be argued that those who point all issues to the manager deserve it by an equal amount. That's 4 managers now that have failed since Fergie retired, when will the main focus be directed at the overlying issue?
Who's pointing all the issues at the manager?

These things are not mutually exclusive. You can have the opinion that the manger is not good enough and is out of his depth, while also thinking that the people at the top are also incompetent. Holding the belief that the manager isn't good enough, is not a tacit endorsement of Woodward and the owners. There's many issue at this club. Ole appears to be one of them at the moment.

JoaquinJoaquin

Human beings deserve a certain level of respect anyway. Ole deserves respect even when being criticised. It's really not that hard to understand is it?

People calling him Golem and the like? You think that's acceptable?
Name calling is unacceptable I agree, and he deserves the ultimate respect as a bloke. But respect as a manager he doesn't deserve any,

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It likewise can be argued that those who point all issues to the manager deserve it by an equal amount. That's 4 managers now that have failed since Fergie retired, when will the main focus be directed at the overlying issue?
I think people recognise there's a lack of quality and perhaps a serious underlying mentality issue with the squad, I think people also recognise how out of his depth Woodward is, but what can we actually do about that? Personally I feel completely powerless, same way Arsenal fans have been with their owners/executives over the years. I think we're going to really, really struggle until Woodward leaves his position. Due to our marketability it's going to be a slow and arduous process before enough money drys up and the owners finally take heed.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Wow
That is just bizarre. This board is completely out of depth and inept. Not something we didn't know before. They absolutely wrecked the club in football sense after Fergie's leaving and it has now been more than 6 years of us not challenging for anything major. Considering the state of the team, it will take a few more years at least. It took Klopp 3 years to challenge and this 4th probably to win while you can argue that the team they had was in better shape. I don't mind us not winning, we won it all and we had it all, but to have so much money and produce such performances should be unacceptable really. Ed doesn't even go out with his war chest and money bragging bollocks and tbf no one would care as everyone knows we would most likely just waste it.

Don't even blame Ole, he is the least to blame really. The man does the best he can.

Jeffthered

Thing is, I do not think many of us as United fans, expected anything spectaculor... yet, we always have that hope, that sense of theatre, of positive drama, and expression. But that is a hope, nothing more.
But what I expect, is significant progress. An identity for the players, our playing style, that the club, the backroom team, Shareholders, and of course, us as fans, can get behind...

.. and I am sorry, but I am yet to observe much, if any, of this under OGS. He looks aimless... he does, without clarity of thought, purpose... if he knew the job was too much, then he should not have taken it. This is not an experiment, or some romantiscised-love-in-with-Ole... we are not getting any better. We play well against rubbish teams. That's it.

Look at some of the teams ahead of us, or alongside side us in the league... Wolves, Burnley, Palace, Sheff Utd... how many of us would swap our sqaud with these respective teams?

Now ask, how many would swap the manager?

Ole is a middle-of-the-road nice guy, who should be hosting corporate events about selling cars or something like that.. he is a legend. But he is no top manager of a huge sporting institution. No way.

He will survive this season, but he will be under INTENSE pressure next season, because a few poor seasons, a big club may swallow.. but no progress, no trophies, season in, season out, at Manchester United? That's not going to last very long. Need a manager to provide some guidance and identity for the club. Ole is drifting and seems quite comfortable with that (look at his comment about the league position not worrying him... really?). And he is getting paid very handsomely for the privalege.

Giggsyking

He is just like Mourinho, in it for the money. He has no love or very little love to the club that will makes him resign because of the damage he did to the club. What makes him different from the sacked one? at least we know Jose is a poisonous man. But Ole who is considered one of us, holding on the job even though he is taking us to a relegation battle.

crossy1686

career ending
The Athletic his reported that the board is not even considering sacking Ole at the moment.

Looks like Ole is getting all the time that he needs. Hope we don't get relegated.
That will absolutely change if we get battered by City and Tottenham. The only thing in his favour at the moment is that Pochettino won't be in any rush to take a new job due to the payout he's getting from Spurs and it appears the board are wanting to back Solksjaer in January with a player or two

crossy1686

career ending
He is just like Mourinho, in it for the money. He has no love or very little love to the club that will makes him resign because of the damage he did to the club. What makes him different from the sacked one? at least we know Jose is a poisonous man. But Ole who is considered one of us, holding on the job even though he is taking us to a relegation battle.
That's unfair. I think it's hurting Solskjaer as much as it's hurting us, and also like most of us he's not sure how to fix it without 11 new players.

AshRK

I have come to terms he is not going to be sacked. The sad part is I am not even looking forward to that moment because i know this board will make some more stupid decisions. Ole should not have been appointed and now we are stuck with him till god knows how long.

ash_86

If we stick by Ole, how can we possibly improve from here? What's the plan? I don't see us going big in the window, so what the hell are they expecting to happen.
I think the plan is to get the first team fit and firing. With Pogba and Mct nearing returns soon we don't have to wait long to see. Likely the board knows our midfield options are dog poop once we lost the pair to injury. Also if the board is backing Ole then I expect a signing or two. Good news is everything will get reviled within a month one way or other.

Enigma_87

You know who
That's unfair. I think it's hurting Solskjaer as much as it's hurting us, and also like most of us he's not sure how to fix it without 11 new players.
How so? He will be milking it till the end until he gets sacked and the golden parachute. He won't get a top job anywhere else.

theklr

I know it has been talked about alot, but according to MEN we are 4th in the league on most goal xG , and 4th in the league on the least goal against xG.

Seems other teams often scores screamers against us , and both Villa and Newcastle should have been a win if not.

crossy1686

career ending
How so? He will be milking it till the end until he gets sacked and the golden parachute. He won't get a top job anywhere else.
Because he's a United fan also. Did you miss the part where he was a player and refused to go to Tottenham, despite the club accepting a fee for him, because he didn't want to leave United? It's nothing to do with the money nor his reputation.

Giggsyking

I think the plan is to get the first team fit and firing. With Pogba and Mct nearing returns soon we don't have to wait long to see. Likely the board knows our midfield options are dog poop once we lost the pair to injury. Also if the board is backing Ole then I expect a signing or two. Good news is everything will get reviled within a month one way or other.
A month!!, ffs I cant wait another hour to see him out.

Jeffthered

We do not need 11 new players...I think you, and all of us realise that. Villa,Wolves, Sheff Utd... even Leicester..all teams playing with players from lower leagues. Daniel James came from Swansea. So this talk about big, new players doesn't really convince me. We need a manager who can get the best out of his players, and has a clear playing strategy to facilitate that. All the clubs I previously mentioned (Sheff Utd, Burnley, Palace,Wolves and there are more...) have a manager who has a playing style, a clear intent, a way of playing that he looks to adopt, and then he works with existing and new players to realise his thoughts.

Ole does not do this. How on earth do we actually 'play'? I watch us, and we just drift through periods of games, and I have not the first clue of how we are supposed to be playing.

crossy1686

career ending
We do not need 11 new players...I think you, and all of us realise that. Villa,Wolves, Sheff Utd... even Leicester..all teams playing with players from lower leagues. Daniel James came from Swansea. So this talk about big, new players doesn't really convince me. We need a manager who can get the best out of his players, and has a clear playing strategy to facilitate that. All the clubs I previously mentioned (Sheff Utd, Burnley, Palace,Wolves and there are more...) have a manager who has a playing style, a clear intent, a way of playing that he looks to adopt, and then he works with existing and new players to realise his thoughts.

Ole does not do this. How on earth do we actually 'play'? I watch us, and we just drift through periods of games, and I have not the first clue of how we are supposed to be playing.
That's what I was suggesting. Solskjaer doesn't appear to know how to fix it without replacing everyone.

croadyman

I can’t watch his pressers. He comes across so pathetically naive and small time when he speaks. Also, this whole he’s one of the lads bollox is just cringe. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t want another manager like Jose who totally segregates himself from the players. A bit of camaraderie between the players and manager is a must but Ole comes across very childlike the way he carries on. Just let this end soon.
I just don't buy into the narrative of giving him time when I have seen enough to say he cannot coach players and doesn't have any style of play either.

The Athletic's and Jamie Jackson's tweets on the situation suggests that Utd really haven't got the guts to sack him,just like we all thought was coming out on the back of yesterday's result.

People wonder why there hasn't been more in the press about his future, well that is because there is no toxic atmosphere and dressing room unrest. We are playing absolutely shite but Ole clearly isn't saying a word to them so they are happy for him to just carry on.

Thanks so much to Woody (Toy Story) and those yankee leeches for not just destroying this club but also dividing our fanbase too, how the hell we ever recover from this I haven't got a clue. I have completely given up any hope of them also ever appointing a DOF as that would mean our resident disney character having to relinquish control of transfers.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
The one thing that gets me too is the way he calls players like Rashford "Rashy". I don't like it because it gives the impression he lacks authority and players walk all over him.

I just don't buy into the narrative of giving him time when I have seen enough to say he cannot coach players and doesn't have any style of play either.
Maybe if he called him Mr Rashford instead you'd have the impression he was more authoritarian? Or maybe you'd then realise what he calls people is just absolute meaningless semantics and in no way a reflection of what he's really like with the players behind closed doors?

Enigma_87

You know who
Obviously because he clearly loves the club and wants us to be a success.
Because he's a United fan also. Did you miss the part where he was a player and refused to go to Tottenham, despite the club accepting a fee for him, because he didn't want to leave United? It's nothing to do with the money nor his reputation.
I find it hard to believe he will resign without taking the severance package. He won't get any top stint afterwards either. There are multiple examples of former players and fans of the club that still waited to be sacked and picked up their cheque.

If he was about to do that he would've resigned by now.

Saying he's not concerned by the league position isn't in alignment with what you've said though..

crossy1686

career ending
I find it hard to believe he will resign without taking the severance package. He won't get any top stint afterwards either. There are multiple examples of former players and fans of the club that still waited to be sacked and picked up their cheque.

Saying he's not concerned by the league position isn't in alignment with what you've said though..
No one in their right mind is going to resign without a pay package, that's not robbing the club, that's looking after your best interests as someone who has a home and kids to feed. You wouldn't walk away from a payout either, regardless of your love for said organisation.

I don't think anyone's disputing he won't get another top job, I think he's aware of that also but they'll happily take him back in Norway and he'd probably happily go back anyway.

Jeffthered

What annoys me , is that he does not seem to be saying anything at all? Does he really want and expect Man Utd to be the top team again? Under his management? Does he want Rashford to hit 30 goals this season? Or Martial? Does he demand this? What does he think about Pogba's extended abscence? Is he looking to have a competitive cup-run? Does he think we can match any team, and fear no one? What has he learned almost a year into the job? Is he targetting a No 9 in January, or not? Is he targetting a creative player in January, or not? Is he happy with his current squad, or not? Does he want to sign proven talent, or not? Is he happy to have a very young team, take to the field every game?

These aren't exactly difficult, complicated or unexpected questions... yet, I have no real indication of what he thinks, wants, expects...

Kammy26

If these new reports are to be believed then I think we are stuck with him, for the foreseeable future. I go to 5-6 games every year and no way will the old Trafford crowd turn against ole. If the board are also backing him then there is no way out, apart from maybe the threat of relegation, which I don’t think will happen.

I want him to succeed I really do, but it’s just not going to happen, he shouldn’t have been given the job in the first place. Even when we was on the winning run I still didn’t want him to get the job.

Wtf our board are smoking by backing him I’ll never know, he hasn’t shown an inch of progress since last season, we are actually worse off, yet the board supposedly are backing him for the long term. What is it that the board are seeing that every other man and his dog can’t see

Kurton

If these new reports are to be believed then I think we are stuck with him, for the foreseeable future. I go to 5-6 games every year and no way will the old Trafford crowd turn against ole. If the board are also backing him then there is no way out, apart from maybe the threat of relegation, which I don’t think will happen.

I want him to succeed I really do, but it’s just not going to happen, he shouldn’t have been given the job in the first place. Even when we was on the winning run I still didn’t want him to get the job.

Wtf our board are smoking by backing him I’ll never know, he hasn’t shown an inch of progress since last season, we are actually worse off, yet the board supposedly are backing him for the long term. What is it that the board are seeing that every other man and his dog can’t see
That's quite scary really. Wordward has got the perfect manager for Glazers. The crowd won't turn on Ole, Ole won't demand anything from the board, all the while profits will still be rolling in considering fan base Utd has. We'll be firmly established as a mid-table team but the board won't care for that. What a master stroke by Woody.

BlueHaze

Has the NYSE opened yet, so that we can officially announce his sacking?
If he hasn't gotten sacked until this point with the absolute shambolic season we've had I can guarantee he won't get fired unless he has us bottom of the table which might actually happen come Sunday.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
We won't lose both of our next two games, I'm oddly confident.
I'm feeling the same way. Against Spuds we'll concede but their back line is terrible so if Martial and the other Rashford turns up I can see an entertaining 4-3 win.
City look well off the pace and once again they have a dodgy defence. Aguero not playing is a massive plus. If we can control De Bruyne and Silva then we might just get something out of the game. 1-1

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If he wants it that much he should resign. He can't possibly believe he's doing a good job.
Listening to his pressers I believe he's actually talking himself into he's doing a good job and it's only because of "fine margins" the club is where it is. This long term plan concocted between him and the club is looking more and more like a get out of jail free card for all involved. Maybe he's safer than what we all believe.

Backrow Singer

That's quite scary really. Wordward has got the perfect manager for Glazers. The crowd won't turn on Ole, Ole won't demand anything from the board, all the while profits will still be rolling in considering fan base Utd has. We'll be firmly established as a mid-table team but the board won't care for that. What a master stroke by Woody.
It does feel like if those reports are true, today is the day we officially turn into an official second-rate team. A club wanting to win trophies would have him gone by now. If he gets a point this week, I don’t see that happening.

We’re just going to have to hope and pray that he turns it around.

Enigma_87

You know who
No one in their right mind is going to resign without a pay package, that's not robbing the club, that's looking after your best interests as someone who has a home and kids to feed. You wouldn't walk away from a payout either, regardless of your love for said organisation.

I don't think anyone's disputing he won't get another top job, I think he's aware of that also but they'll happily take him back in Norway and he'd probably happily go back anyway.
Which is what I said from the off. I don't begrudge him either, it is what everyone does and it's not like he's at fault for being given that contract.

However some are spinning this as if Ole is working for no money and only with the club's best interest at heart.

Yes he loves the club and will give 100% but still it's a job and he will not resign just because he's doing crap without taking several millions with him.

el3mel

About him supposedly being in no danger in terms of position.
Didn't see them.

Though I'm not surprised. The pressure will increase once we manage 1 point after the next 2 games. I think Ed at the end will definitely have a second thought as it goes on as Poch is available. He can say any crap latter to the press that he supported Ole and it didn't work out so we'll continue the plan under a new manager. It won't be a new for him.

Enigma_87

You know who
What annoys me , is that he does not seem to be saying anything at all? Does he really want and expect Man Utd to be the top team again? Under his management? Does he want Rashford to hit 30 goals this season? Or Martial? Does he demand this? What does he think about Pogba's extended abscence? Is he looking to have a competitive cup-run? Does he think we can match any team, and fear no one? What has he learned almost a year into the job? Is he targetting a No 9 in January, or not? Is he targetting a creative player in January, or not? Is he happy with his current squad, or not? Does he want to sign proven talent, or not? Is he happy to have a very young team, take to the field every game?

These aren't exactly difficult, complicated or unexpected questions... yet, I have no real indication of what he thinks, wants, expects...
I think he's just happy to be here. One step at a time, no pressure on the young lads, no expectations, just swinging it and hope for the best. He's not someone that would use the hairdryer on players even if things aren't going well. Probably the reason why he hasn't lost the dressing room yet. Mediocrity all around.

Even Maguire yesterday said that we're improving:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/01/harry-maguire-claims-man-utd-improving-aston-villa-draw-11250637/

Baffling. This is in direct contrast to what DDG said a week ago.

Some have really small club mentality.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Fans are gonna need to actually protest if we want the board to do their jobs.

This is surely the worst boardroom in Elite footy at present?

They are utter, utter fecking cowboys - and at any other club they'd be long hounded out by now.

Brophs

The One and Only
There is no single overlying issue. The manager isn't good enough, the squad needs additions, our board aren't decisive enough. There are multiple issues, but an manager who is nowhere near good enough is certainly not going to be part of the solution.
I tend to agree with Cloud on this. There is no one “overlying issue”. But if you had to boil it down into one easily digestible answer - let’s call it Edwood Glazerward - then one of the main symptoms of their failings has been appointing the wrong manager every time they’ve had to act. Every single appointment is wildly different than the last. There’s not even a hint of coherence to it to it all. If the people above Ole were better at their jobs then he wouldn’t have gotten his. And that stands true for Mourinho, LVG and Moyes, too. Poor appointments by a poor regime. Sure, they’d probably all have done better they been supported more by a better footballing structure, but unfortunately for them, success isn’t a relative concept viewed through the prism of there being someone at the club a bit more crap than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.