Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Id rather get relegated than having a coach diminish the club I love for his own sake, but maybe I'm a weird one. Or maybe I just dont have the right FOOTBALL HERITAGE Jose is looking for
Be careful what you wish for.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
All you backers of Ole did you see his post match interview ? An absolute disgrace completely undeterred at the lackluster result as he's shown all season. Ole is an embarrassment to the ambitions of the club. It's no surprise the team has no consistency he doesn't inspire confidence in the players and clearly as he's managerial career has shown he's not a serial winner.
Seem it, seems to give the impression that all is fine and will come good. No it will not come good Ole.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Id rather get relegated than having a coach diminish the club I love for his own sake, but maybe I'm a weird one. Or maybe I just dont have the right FOOTBALL HERITAGE Jose is looking for
Jose was really toxic , but at least he was exposing the players that were not good enough and didnt hold his tongue against the board. We went from one extreme to the other, and I prefer the extreme that keeps up in the PL.

Hedgehog72

Although i understand the comment made by OGS about the league position not being an issue as everything is tight, that comment has annoyed me because being Man United it DOES! Spurs and Arsenal have more points and have made IMO correct decisions to change something that isn't working. Its not like we have been playing well and just been really unlucky. We have been shit, we are continuing being shit week in and week out and we need to change. This long term project is going nowhere.

DarkRed

But what about the rest of the coaching team? he is there with enough experience to really help, give a good advice when needed? Only Phelan have some sort of experience and then it is nothing all that special. Maybe if we do keep Ole, we should add someone in the caliber of Bielsa or similar as the assistant manager.

el3mel

Unpopular opinion : I prefer Mourihno's toxic football 55% winning rate .
Me too. Of course. His 2 full seasons were the only I felt any hope in us returning to the top. Now, zero hope for the future, unless we do the right thing and hire Poch.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
Hope you’re enjoying the season then mate. Got exactly what you wished for.
I aint enjoying this season and I have voiced my displeasure from Ole in yesterday's post match thread.

Yet I remember how toxic the club was, how toxic the players were and how bad it was not just to watch us play(something that has been bad even in our best season post Fergie), it was bad just to be connected to the club, everything felt wrong.

I want Ole replaced, I want a better manager who knows where he is but also knows what he wants to do and how to demand it. But I by no means have enjoyed us more when we had a manager that not only led us to playing sh*t, but also missed no chance to diminish our great history and deaminor in the sake of his own quest for 'respect'. Does that make me a bad fan? Because if so, than i'll gladly take that tag and run with it.

mu4c_20le

Jose was really toxic , but at least he was exposing the players that were not good enough and didnt hold his tongue against the board. We went from one extreme to the other, and I prefer the extreme that keeps up in the PL.
Those were just excuses. He kept playing the likes of Young, Lingard, Matic. Different managers have different excuses.

Robbie Boy

Appointing Mourinho was the only time post SAF that I felt we were hiring a manager to take us back to the top. It was ok for a while but ultimately turned to shit and he had to go.

Had I known we would make another travesty of a managerial appointment in the Moyes mould, I would have kept Jose, though.

C'est Moi Cantona

You could argue this what Jose did, but was he not just trying to get the players he knew we needed to compete because he was a winner, and was not interested in toeing the line and managing a team he knew couldn't win things, he is a easy to dislike, but he just said it as it was, which is why he went so quickly when things started to go wrong

Now we have Ole, who seems happy to just go along with things, is probably just happy to still be here, and will be until he is told otherwise, so could that not be called 'diminishing the club for his won sake' as well, even if it's with the best intentions? He's just easier to like, and easy for the owners to handle, but personally I'd rather have someone who is a proven winner putting the pressure on the club to start doing things right, becasue right now we are worse than last season, and they are been given a free ride just because Ole is the manager.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
You could argue this what Jose did, but was he not just trying to get the players he knew we needed to compete because he was a winner, and was not interested in toeing the line and managing a team he knew couldn't win things, he is a easy to dislike, but he just said it as it was, which is why he went so quickly when things started to go wrong

Now we have Ole, who seems happy to just go along with things, is probably just happy to still be here, and will be until he is told otherwise, so could that not be called 'diminishing the club for his won sake' as well, even if it's with the best intentions? He's just easier to like, and easy for the owners to handle, but personally I'd rather have someone who is a proven winner putting the pressure on the club to start doing things right, becasue right now we are worse than last season, and they are been given a free ride just because Ole is the manager.
I dont rate Ole. Just saying I dont prefer Jose. And no, Jose saying about Shaw "it was his body with my brain" after a good performence was not meant to get a reaction, he was just a twat

United58

Pure nonsense, the players are trying! James, Fred, Pereira, Maguire, Lindeolf, Rashford etc are all trying. But they look clueless because there's no system in place. Our results are not from the lack of trying more a lack of tactial flexibility imo.
Completely agree with this. We need a progressive manager in place who'll play attacking, pressing football and people will realise there's a lot of good footballers here - our past 4 managers have all played dour football and it stinks the place out

C'est Moi Cantona

I dont rate Ole. Just saying I dont prefer Jose. And no, Jose saying about Shaw "it was his body with my brain" after a good performence was not meant to get a reaction, he was just a twat
Fair enough, I don't prefer Jose either, I couldn't wait to see the back of him, but what we have done since is nothing other than ' make it up as you along', yet we're all supposed to be sucked into this 'building something' catch line.

I was stupidly sucked into us getting Poch and a DOF bollocks after we sacked Jose, that was a proper plan, Ole was just there to make us smile for a while, now look at us, we are run by amateurs, and are now managed full time by an amateur.

Jose was a professional, yes a pain in the arse, but still a professional, and the club just couldn't handle him, so got shut, rather than give him what he thought we needed, but who looks the fool now.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
The win ratio meme that’s doing the rounds on socials today is shocking, I didn’t realise it was THAT low.

How is he still in charge at the so-called “biggest club in the world (even though we aren’t really, maybe top 5)”?!

90 + 5min

Not a day goes by without people going on witchhunt against Ole. And especially without any sort of understanding what kind of players we have. Thinking a new manager would suddenly win Everything with this squad is so wrong. I know you are hurt by Liverpool going like a bulldozers but let us be real. Reacting with emotions is not the best thing. People need to learn to have patience.

We are 8 points behind top 4 place, through in both Carling Cup and Europa League. Still in FA cup. We were never in for PL title this year and we all knew that this season would be up and down.

Hopefully with some midfield signings (2 or 3 depending on Pogba situation) and McTom/Pogba back we will be in the mix for CL places.

el3mel

But what about the rest of the coaching team? he is there with enough experience to really help, give a good advice when needed? Only Phelan have some sort of experience and then it is nothing all that special. Maybe if we do keep Ole, we should add someone in the caliber of Bielsa or similar as the assistant manager.
The entire coaching stuff should be sacked alongside him. This Carrick/McKenna experiment isn't going to work. The new manager should bring his own assistants.

Eddy_JukeZ

I really think if you give Ole the full season, we might not recover as a club for another 10 years with the damage he'd do.

This could still get much worse.

Foxbatt

The issue with Jose was Woodward. If Jose got what he wants he will win. I think it was a mistake to keep Pogba and sack Jose. This is in hindsight. We need a team and not a bunch of individual players.

AlwaysRed66

With the worst manager in the premiership what do you expect. Any other manager in this division would have had us higher in the table this season than this guy. Probably as they were all managing at a higher level than a league two standard as Molde.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I aint enjoying this season and I have voiced my displeasure from Ole in yesterday's post match thread.

Yet I remember how toxic the club was, how toxic the players were and how bad it was not just to watch us play(something that has been bad even in our best season post Fergie), it was bad just to be connected to the club, everything felt wrong.

I want Ole replaced, I want a better manager who knows where he is but also knows what he wants to do and how to demand it. But I by no means have enjoyed us more when we had a manager that not only led us to playing sh*t, but also missed no chance to diminish our great history and deaminor in the sake of his own quest for 'respect'. Does that make me a bad fan? Because if so, than i'll gladly take that tag and run with it.
Don't worry mate, people have such short memories. They were baying for Mourinho's blood not so long ago, especially after the Liverpool game.

Arsenal and Spurs fans were also constantly ripping United with their "We want you to stay" Mourinho chants and laughing at us for being stuck with a 'has-been' who was going nowhere with United. Now all of a sudden they're fighting over him and he's suddenly the best thing since sliced bread again.

It was really bad with Mourinho towards the end of his reign. It's amazing how quickly people are forgetting that.

Cloud7

I couldn’t stand José’s style of football he played here for the most part, but currently we’re playing just as awful a brand of football, with worse results.

Kammy26

At some point you as a fanbase may need to take some control like Arsenal fans did it with Wenger. I personally believe he'd still be there today if they didn't.

If the board are as happy to stick by him as it seems, the only way you'd get him out is to vote with your feet, get attendances down and protest, I know it's not nice to do that to a club legend but between that and what you'd likely get by keeping Ole it's a no contest surely?
Have we ever voted with our feet before? Maybe the green and gold campaign but that didn’t last long, plus I don’t think it affected attendances.

I highly doubt the old Trafford fans would protest for ole to be sacked. To my amazement most of the fans who I speak at the ground are firmly behind him and believe in what he is doing what ever the feck that may be. It’s Fecking sickening. What will it take to turn these fans? Maybe relegation.. who knows some of them are so blinded by faith it’s unreal. Maybe this is our Graham Souness / Liverpool moment where we truly drop from a top club to an average one

AC1689

Pure nonsense, the players are trying! James, Fred, Pereira, Maguire, Lindeolf, Rashford etc are all trying. But they look clueless because there's no system in place. Our results are not from the lack of trying more a lack of tactial flexibility imo.
For me this is the most worrying aspect of this tenure. The team is trying as hard as it can from what I can see, and we’re still languishing in mid table and in what can only be described as relegation form.

So what happens once the team tire of the poor management they realise they are playing under and Ole loses the dressing room? It’s unfathomable.

A team that is trying it’s absolute best being worse than Mourinho’s self destruct mode days demonstrates how awfully inept this manager is.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Have we ever voted with our feet before? Maybe the green and gold campaign but that didn’t last long, plus I don’t think it affected attendances.

I highly doubt the old Trafford fans would protest for ole to be sacked. To my amazement most of the fans who I speak at the ground are firmly behind him and believe in what he is doing what ever the feck that may be. It’s Fecking sickening. What will it take to turn these fans? Maybe relegation.. who knows some of them are so blinded by faith it’s unreal. Maybe this is our Graham Souness / Liverpool moment where we truly drop from a top club to an average one
I see where you're coming from because I felt that frustration in 15/16, pretty much everyone I spoke too on matchdays and on the internet truly believed Jose had no responsibility for the unprecedented poor results and performances, I wanted to scream, at times my jaw dropped at some of the excuses rolled out.

I've said this ever since you had Moyes, I honestly think a lot of your fanbase (and even club legends) genuinely believe you'll find another Fergie if they're given enough time, there surely has to be a watershed moment at some point where the realization comes that it won't be happening and when that time comes you'll be much better off as a club for it.

Sweet Square

At some point you as a fanbase may need to take some control like Arsenal fans did it with Wenger. I personally believe he'd still be there today if they didn't.
Good point because as we know Arsenal fans have been living the good life ever since. Your arguing for fans to kick out a club legend so he can be replaced with someone even worse.

Getting Wenger sacked was one of the worst moves made by a fan base. It turns out DT on the youtube hasn't got a fecking clue how to run a football club and I'm guessing Mark Goldbridge(A literally parody of an Alan Partridge 90's sketch)doesn't either.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Good point because as we know Arsenal fans have been living the good life ever since. Your arguing for fans to kick out a club legend so he can be replaced with someone even worse.

Arsenal fans completely up in turning on Wenger.
Two wrongs don't make a right, they may have fecked up replacing him but Wenger at the end was done, there was a very good reason opposition fans were chanting that they wanted him to stay.

Sweet Square

Two wrongs don't make a right, they may have fecked up replacing him but Wenger at the end was done, there was a very good reason opposition fans were chanting that they wanted him to stay.
I agree they were right to be angry(It been well over decade since they've won the league)but they've learned nothing from the experience other than if they scream loud enough the club will move.

Ole is a bit rubbish so far but

.The club has been in a mess for years

.He been in the job for less than 12 months(Arsenal fans gave Emery more time)

.The midfield is literally dog shit at the moment.

We have to give Ole the rest of the season, if things don't improve(We've yet to even see our strongest team play together)then yeah bring Poch in. But calling for Ole to get the sack now is just knee jerk(United are shite for a number of reasons and getting rid of one guy won't change this), which we've already done to 2 other managers.

- insert the definition of insanity here -

AC1689

Not a day goes by without people going on witchhunt against Ole. And especially without any sort of understanding what kind of players we have. Thinking a new manager would suddenly win Everything with this squad is so wrong. I know you are hurt by Liverpool going like a bulldozers but let us be real. Reacting with emotions is not the best thing. People need to learn to have patience.

We are 8 points behind top 4 place, through in both Carling Cup and Europa League. Still in FA cup. We were never in for PL title this year and we all knew that this season would be up and down.

Hopefully with some midfield signings (2 or 3 depending on Pogba situation) and McTom/Pogba back we will be in the mix for CL places.
Is this a joke?! We haven’t even played in the FA Cup yet and you claim we are “still in it” like it’s some kind of achievement on Ole’s part :lol:.

Absolutely nobody had expectations of us winning the PL, nor does anyone believe we’d be winning everything with this squad under another manager. But they do believe we would be doing better than 4 points above 17th after more than a third of the season has passed. And winning more than the same amount of games as Newcastle and Villa.

Patience?! What are we waiting for exactly?! And how long is it going to take to get there exactly? We would love to be enlightened.

People lack any sort of understanding of the players we have?! So you’re saying the players aren’t good enough? And who does that responsibility lie with exactly?! Is it not down to the manager to ensure the team is good enough?! Or is that now no longer something a manager should be held to account for?!

You’re insulting people’s intelligence suggesting that they are on a “witch-hunt” or do not understand what kind of squad we have. Maybe people actually do understand football, and what should be expected from a manager of a top PL team, and this is why they simply believe the manager we have right now is inept. It’s not difficult, nor is it a misunderstanding on any fan’s part.

Perhaps you’re the one who doesn’t have “any sort of understanding” and rather than a witch hunt, you’re on some sort of blind faith Ole bandwagon.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

The club had the right idea, appoint a caretaker and serious search for a replacement. The issue came when a combination of results, fan zealotry and likely player pressure ruined that. He should never have been a contender right away. If the club could genuinely say at the end of an exhaustive half season + off season search that they couldn't find the right fit, then MAYBE Ole should've got a shot. It's all pretty moot now, we're either going to limp to the end of the season around 9th-10 and he'll get the sack, or Spurs+City will destroy us and the board will have to act.

izec

Just a few bumps on the 3 year rebuilding road.

China will finish their one belt one road project quicker than Ole achieving to win four games in succession

Irwin99

The club had the right idea, appoint a caretaker and serious search for a replacement. The issue came when a combination of results, fan zealotry and likely player pressure ruined that. He should never have been a contender right away. If the club could genuinely say at the end of an exhaustive half season + off season search that they couldn't find the right fit, then MAYBE Ole should've got a shot. It's all pretty moot now, we're either going to limp to the end of the season around 9th-10 and he'll get the sack, or Spurs+City will destroy us and the board will have to act.
I remember Gary Neville saying that he HAD to be given the job now and to be fair I think most people did. Not sure about player pressure though. I was thinking earlier if the club hadn't made the decision to hire him permanently would we have sneaked top 4 last year? Everything just went horrendously wrong after that PSG game. Players seemed to give up in what was one of the most abysmal races for the top 4 that I've ever seen.

Sterling Archer

Erm that's what Ole and Woodward are doing.

Jose, despite the toxicity, had the right intentions - save the club. He had a public spat with his boss for whose sake? To keep his job or to make United competitive again? If it's the former I'm sure he could have taken the puppet route like Ole. It seems pretty easy to con Woodward into complacency...bc a lot of fans have seen through the smile and gimmick lines about the club history but not Ed .

You give Jose infinite money and support, he wins trophies and elevates clubs. Jose threw his toys out the pram because he didn't get what he needs to be successful. Even at it's most selfish and reckless, the man had more balls than Ole, Nev, Fletch or any of these other former players that's got their tail between their legs in hopes of jobs at United.

Action over words. I remember everyone was so offended after Sevilla and the comment about our heritage. Fact is, one manager said that having won us the Europa League. The other has talked us up and tickled our happy spot with United is the greatest only to make it commonplace to win 4 matches through December including losing to FC Astana of Khazakstan while at it. Because that's respect for the heritage. Sure.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You gotta be kiddinģ?

Someone of bielsa caliber taking instruction from ole gunnar solksjaer?

enough with this. Stop rewarding mediocrity. If you're not good enough it's you who should get the boot, not bringing the better manager to come and assit you.

Bielsa as ass man to ole gunnar solksjaer.... let that sink a bit

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
For me this is the most worrying aspect of this tenure. The team is trying as hard as it can from what I can see, and we’re still languishing in mid table and in what can only be described as relegation form.

So what happens once the team tire of the poor management they realise they are playing under and Ole loses the dressing room? It’s unfathomable.

A team that is trying it’s absolute best being worse than Mourinho’s self destruct mode days demonstrates how awfully inept this manager is.
Those names werent even running when we're losing. Trying hard? I don't see that. All i see is weird facial expression.

croadyman

Personally Woody (Toy Story) had to be sacked before Ole and a DOF appointed but forget that ever happening so at the end of the day Ole should be sacked after the derby because he just looks way out of his depth. I admire him for taking on the job but it is time for a change now before we end up back in the bottom half of the league again.

I do worry that we will end up going down the interim route again and then stupidly end up giving that person the job on a permanent basis just because of their status within the club.

We could win these next two games against City & Spurs and I still think he should be sacked,have seen enough since March to convince me of that.

Last edited:

Hawks2008

Standards are truly gone at this point if those briefs are accurate.

We are finished as a top club.

Status
Not open for further replies.