Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Andow

How wasn't it, given we saw the game out and got a late second?
Lingard failed at everything as usual and the only thing Shaw did was set a counter attack for them after one of his half-arsed terrible crosses. They contributed nothing for the 2nd.
Pereira was tired. Jesse was the least horrible option we had. Shaw helped shore up the left wing.
We have Greenwood and a couple of promising young midfielders. Why insist on giving minutes to a 27-year-old failure that gives 1/10 performances on a consistent basis?

predator

Youth NITK
Lingard failed at everything as usual and the only thing Shaw did was set a counter attack for them after one of his half-arsed terrible crosses. They contributed nothing for the 2nd.
I dont think Lingard is good enough for us but I find it laughable how anyone can criticise Ole's subs last night given the end result.
Some people are hard to please.

What would you have done differently?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have been really liking how he has been managing our young players. Chose to rest Greenwood. Slowly introducing Williams. I am pretty sure he will do the same with Laird and Garner. Kudos to him for that.

Moyes didn't protect Januzaj enough and same with van gaal who was just letting all these youngster play with pressure. Ole has done it really well so far.
One of the post that should be pinned on this thread.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I dont think Lingard is good enough for us but I find it laughable how anyone can criticise Ole's subs last night given the end result.

Told Lingard we were playing Norwich

Kostov

Terrible?

They literally had 1 shot from Bardsley from distance.

We're sat 2nd in the form table behind Liverpool. We've one loss in 9 games.

Martial has been involved in a goal every 110 mins
Rashford has been involved in a goal every 99 mins

If you can't see the improvement you haven't a feckin clue and that is genuinely as polite as I can be.

We sit at 5th, and have 31 fecking points after 20 games. I say you can keep your politeness to yourself and stop being deluded with that “2nd in the form table” crap. We just played fecking Burnley and looked like the same hot and cold inconsistent average mid table team we have been all season.

Foxbatt

It is a good result yes but we did not play that well. Burnley was awful. We have depended on our forward line to get us out of trouble always. The way we are setup is the issue. Look at the second balls especially in midfield. They always get them. I mean not only Burnley but all the teams. Yes the referee was awful too but we simply cannot play the two midfield players in a parallel line.
Why do we always have to play out from the back? Always? Now every team knows that. It is the variation of the play that is important. Playing out of the back does not mean that the keeper has to pass the ball to a player inside the box from a goal kick.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
We sit at 5th, and have 31 fecking points after 20 games. I say you can keep your politeness to yourself and stop being deluded with that “2nd in the form table” crap. We just played fecking Burnley and looked like the same hot and cold inconsistent average mid table team we have been all season.
We can only play counter attacking football when it's City. It's only fecking Burnley when it's Burnley. Poor old Ole can't buy a positive comment from some of ye. That was a tricky away game dispatched in a very controlled way. Give yourself a break. Try to enjoy the good days and save the bile for the inevitable blips.

King Andow

Take Lingard out of the squad permanently, he had all the chances in the world and doesn't deserve to play here. Give the youngsters his minutes to see what they can do, at least until we buy someone, it's not like they can be worse. But I guess 0 goals or assists in a year is good enough for Ole as he continues to select him.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
We have Greenwood and a couple of promising young midfielders. Why insist on giving minutes to a 27-year-old failure that gives 1/10 performances on a consistent basis?
Greenwood played 90 minutes 2 days ago. He just turned 18, he can't play every match, rotation and rest is needed, we have had enough injuries.

Kostov

We can only play counter attacking football when it's City. It's only fecking Burnley when it's Burnley. Poor old Ole can't buy a positive comment from some of ye. That was a tricky away game dispatched in a very controlled way. Give yourself a break. Try to enjoy the good days and save the bile for the inevitable blips.
It’s not about negativity for the sake of it, it’s just the delusion of some on here and than the meltdown that would be inevitable when as you say the “blip” happens. I was trying to be constructive towards a view for a hard game as you say, but also very sincere. The same issues were on show tonight as were throughout the season. We just managed to get a result this time.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
It’s not about negativity for the sake of it, it’s just the delusion of some on here and than the meltdown that would be inevitable when as you say the “blip” happens. I was trying to be constructive towards a view for a hard game as you say, but also very sincere. The same issues were on show tonight as were throughout the season. We just managed to get a result this time.
What issues? We created plenty of good opportunities against a pretty defensive set up, conceded barely a chance and were good in possession most of the night. Levels dipped at times in the second half but that's understandable when ahead in the middle of such a busy period. As I say, I expect the abuse on the bad days but why in the name of God can we not all, as United fans, just be happy when things go well. He got it right tonight, it's ok to say so.

SteveW

Greenwood is a forward. Mata was the only other midfielder on the bench.

predator

Youth NITK
Take Lingard out of the squad permanently, he had all the chances in the world and doesn't deserve to play here. Give the youngsters his minutes to see what they can do, at least until we buy someone, it's not like they can be worse. But I guess 0 goals or assists in a year is good enough for Ole as he continues to select him.
Fair enough but I find it odd to bring up Lingard after a good away win. Give the manager and the players abit of credit.

I categorically think Lingard isnt good enough for the club but he was the last thing on my mind after tonight.

King Andow

Greenwood played 90 minutes 2 days ago. He just turned 18, he can't play every match, rotation and rest is needed, we have had enough injuries.
Garner, Levitt, Puigmal and Galbraith didn't.

Greenwood is a forward. Mata was the only other midfielder on the bench.
Greenwood is a better attacking player. Not having midfielders on the bench is on the manager.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Garner, Levitt, Puigmal and Galbraith didn't.

Greenwood is a better attacking player. Not having midfielders on the bench is on the manager.
It is a long season. If Lingard could get back to the level he had a year or so ago, it would probably be more valuable to our squad for the rest of this season than introducing youngsters who might not be ready even. To add to that, it is in fact Lingards duty to not suck completely and be valuable to our team, so it is a bit on him too no? I can only imagine he wont be here after the summer, and he'll have no complaints. However, I do agree that it feels like waste because the decision on Lingard is easy to make for us fans, but maybe it is a bit about keeping everybody happy as well and give those final chances this season before a cut throat summer.

One can hope:smirk:

meamth

11-4-3 in our last 18 games (including that Astana-game) - and still the majority of our fans here want him sacked...now that is truly astonishing...in a bad way
It's not about the results, mate.

They just want a top manager for "elite standard's" sake.

Regardless of the goods, Ole out. That's how shallow the haters are.

TrustInOle

Ive found that if you ignore the haters who just hate with no real evidence, you enjoy on your time on here. Best season so far for me since Fergie retire in terms of entertainment, and end of the day its a form of entertainment.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Ive found that if you ignore the haters who just hate with no real evidence, you enjoy on your time on here. Best season so far for me since Fergie retire in terms of entertainment, and end of the day its a form of entertainment.
Agreed. Results wise it's probably not, but entertainment wise we are moving somewhere. At least we are not as boring as we were under LVG and Jose's second season onwards. I like that our counter attacks now lead somewhere.

tjb

At this point its obvious that its not Ole's fault we aren't competing for the league. We have gaps in depth quality, and lack creativity and experience in key attacking positions. No other manager would be able to take this team to a title challenge and play good football.

I feel that we have a good defence when all things are considered. I do not trust lindelof or shaw, but we have capable replacements in tuanzebe and williams. In addition to this, both lindelof and shaw can grow to become capable defenders, so with the competition for places and the potential in those positions, we can afford to not dip into the transfer market for either position. In addition to this, we have solid levels of depth at center back.

Our midfield is where we have our biggest issues. We have had a lot of injuries within these roles and have little support from the academies to supplement it. In my opinion, Mctominay and Fred both share similar qualities and should be competing for the same role rather than playing with one another. Neither can be a dictator in midfield, as neither are too comfortable with consistently passing and receiving the ball. They are ballwinners in the mould of Paul Ince, Butt or Fletcher who need to have a partner or partners with more passing range and composure. Matic is aging and has shown he cannot be trusted due to his lack of speed and stamina to play consistently. In addition his play can slow down the team and should be either sold or used as depth. Pogba would be the midfielder that plays alongside mctominay or fred. Lately he has proven to be very injury prone. In addition he has shown a past unwillingness to play that role and has had an uncertain future at the club for some time. All of our attacking midfielders lack the decision making, balance or creativity to play that role. We need quality reinforcements in midfield that can improve our creativity and provide a source of conductor support for mctominay or Fred in the even that Pogba no longer plays for us. We are lacking in depth in these positions. I believe that key injuries in these roles are the main reason we are currently outside of the top 4. Consistent teams are able to produce quality performances regularly, if the drop in standard between our key midfielders and AM/Depth is as high as it is, it's little wonder that we have been as far off the top as we are.

In attack, we lack experience, creativity and depth. Martial, James, Rashford and Greenwood are all fantastic players to have, but due to the lack of creativity from midfield and full backs, our attack is required to provide a bit more creativity than they can. Greenwood, Martial and Rashford are all finishers rather than creators. James and |Greenwood are a bit too young to provide the full source of creativity for our attacks. We need an experienced hand from the wings that can provide additional creative support to the attack. In addition, we lack depth in the striking position, as shown by what occured when Martial was injured. Finally, If two of our attackers get injured, we would be forced to rely on ineffective attacking midfielders to provide worse contributions to the attack from the flank.

manc4red

Want to point out that if many supporters here had their way, Ole would have been fired like 3 times already

I believe we need to give him time. Yes he will make mistakes and we might hit another rough patch of games but everyone world class manager started somewhere. SAF early years were fairly rough as well. The difference is that the club stuck by him. Ole gets us and gets what it means to be Utd. Lets really give him a fair chance at being successful

lysglimt

Scout
I agree - I put 6-7 of the worst on ignore last night.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Can't fault anything. People moaning about Greenwood coming on. The way they were kicking our players I wouldn't have brought him on either. AWB was carrying a bit of an injury at the end of the Newcastle game, so again he would not want those thugs loose on him. Keep them fresh for the Arsenal game.

lysglimt

Scout
Try not to get so upset when we win - it's probably not good for your heart

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Based on the season so far, i think its fair to say that Ole seems like an excellent man manager, and an average/below average tactician

Pretty much everyone seems happier, plenty of quotes from our current players backing him and individually players like Fred, Rashford, Martial and arguably McTomminay have raised their game a level under Ole. Yesterdays win was big though, because away to shithouse teams like Burnley is exactly the type of game we have dropped so many points to this season. If we can figure out how to consistently beat those teams both home and away we will pick up a lot more points next season.

At the start of the season, especially when Martial was out we could not score in a brothel. Our problem is not so much our attacking output any longer, but rather that we keep giving away shit goals like vs Everton and 2x vs Watford. Teams know we can hurt them in attack, but they also know they can hurt us if they target Lindelof/De Gea with high balls which is something we need to address fast. So far this year we only managed 7 clean shits, and most of those has been in the EL. Thats simply not good enough and i honestly dont know how we can best fix it

On the bright side though, this is a very young squad with a lot of promise. Usually our oldest outfield players are Pogba, Fred and Maguire at 26, so they still have at least 3-4 of their best years left and many of these players have yet to enter their best years. If we can do some more good business in January and in the summer, i think we will be in good shape next season. No league challenge, but certainly top 4 minimum

DBT85

Is he saving Pogba for Arsenal?

Man got balls, big ones I'm telling ya.
After just coming back, playing 45 2 days before and then added to the fact that Burnley would have been kicking lumps out of him the whole game, not playing him was the best decision.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is he saving Pogba for Arsenal?

Man got balls, big ones I'm telling ya.
Maybe he played Pogba more than he expected, McTominay was injured which means Pogba had to play 45 mins, maybe he wasn't ready for that much game time.

I don't mind him taking it slow with injured players, one of his weakness was rushing back injured players.

AneRu

Based on the season so far, i think its fair to say that Ole seems like an excellent man manager, and an average/below average tactician

Pretty much everyone seems happier, plenty of quotes from our current players backing him and individually players like Fred, Rashford, Martial and arguably McTomminay have raised their game a level under Ole. Yesterdays win was big though, because away to shithouse teams like Burnley is exactly the type of game we have dropped so many points to this season. If we can figure out how to consistently beat those teams both home and away we will pick up a lot more points next season.

At the start of the season, especially when Martial was out we could not score in a brothel. Our problem is not so much our attacking output any longer, but rather that we keep giving away shit goals like vs Everton and 2x vs Watford. Teams know we can hurt them in attack, but they also know they can hurt us if they target Lindelof/De Gea with high balls which is something we need to address fast. So far this year we only managed 7 clean shits, and most of those has been in the EL. Thats simply not good enough and i honestly dont know how we can best fix it

On the bright side though, this is a very young squad with a lot of promise. Usually our oldest outfield players are Pogba, Fred and Maguire at 26, so they still have at least 3-4 of their best years left and many of these players have yet to enter their best years. If we can do some more good business in January and in the summer, i think we will be in good shape next season. No league challenge, but certainly top 4 minimum
I think the tactical side can be addressed by bringing in another coach. Fergie, Jose, Pep and Klopp have had influential No.2s in their careers who have been reputed to have been critical in their tactical contributions. Ole needs to find one because as promising as this team can be it also exhibited some horrible lows.

A lot of our issues are rooted on a light squad in midfield and attack so it would be nice if the owners can support him in the market by bringing in a CM/DM and possibly a No.10 in January. Pay extra if we have to but top four is a real possibility that it would be silly to throw it away because 'January is so hard to do business in'.

theklr

I have been really liking how he has been managing our young players. Chose to rest Greenwood. Slowly introducing Williams. I am pretty sure he will do the same with Laird and Garner. Kudos to him for that.

Moyes didn't protect Januzaj enough and same with van gaal who was just letting all these youngster play with pressure. Ole has done it really well so far.
Cannot wait until Garner and Laird breaks into the first team tbh. With those we will look real promising. I just hope it happens as soon as next season seeing Young and Matic will leave by then.

Even if we are buying a CDM and AWB is bossing it, Ole has shown enough to make me confident in that he will focus on the development of Garner and Laird.

meamth

Cannot wait until Garner and Laird breaks into the first team tbh. With those we will look real promising. I just hope it happens as soon as next season seeing Young and Matic will leave by then.

Even if we are buying a CDM and AWB is bossing it, Ole has shown enough to make me confident in that he will focus on the development of Garner and Laird.
That's why Ole should stay.

He understood this, he knows that making his own star is the essence of United.

M Bison

Supports
York City
After just coming back, playing 45 2 days before and then added to the fact that Burnley would have been kicking lumps out of him the whole game, not playing him was the best decision.
In hindsight absolutely the right decision but before the game there were serious questions being asked, especially in not even making the bench.

Had we dropped points, this place would have been in uproar and heavily critical of the decision to leave him out.

Fair play to Ole, good call.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's like some of you have never watched the Premier League before. The Christmas period is always a challenge. Using the breadth of our squad to navigate it is the right thing to do, and that includes resting some of the younger players while trusting in the experienced players to get the job done. Expecting Ole to throw in yet more youngsters, particularly against an overly physical Burnley side, shows a lack of understanding in how to manage a squad. Getting results is all that matters right now, and that's exactly what we are seeing, results.

So instead of microanalying every single thing Ole says or does, how about you give it a break and enjoy the upturn in form during this very tricky period. I'm sure some of you were saying our chances of top four were over just a week ago, and now we are a point off it taking in better form than any of our rivals into the new year.

tonnas

I am not in the OLE in, I am more OLE out but we need consistency, we cant just win vs spurs and city then we go dreadfull vs everton and watford!! Todays game was the first game against ''park the bus clubs'' that I saw, finally, some sort of attacking pattern - if no consistency then he does not deserve to be here post may.

Kostov

What issues? We created plenty of good opportunities against a pretty defensive set up, conceded barely a chance and were good in possession most of the night. Levels dipped at times in the second half but that's understandable when ahead in the middle of such a busy period. As I say, I expect the abuse on the bad days but why in the name of God can we not all, as United fans, just be happy when things go well. He got it right tonight, it's ok to say so.
Jesus man, what abuse are you talking about? I just pointed out that this was far from an impressive performance. Midfield still looked solid as a melted butter, Lindelof looked like he was gonna cry of Wood came on his side once again, and our attack still looked inconsistent with no pattern of play that will show once again when we face a better organized team. Subs were awful again, Lingard getting a chance for the 100th time, and why fecking Shaw when we need a Midfielder on? Yes I am not happy because as soon as we play a more organized team than that shit we are in trouble. I hope I am wrong, but that’s what I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.