Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

He was undeniably dealt a shite hand and we have some cleaning out to do upstairs as well but his position has become untenable if we want to achieve anything this season.

5 defeats over a month since Dec 22 is inexcusable and any of our previous managers would've been on the ropes after a similar run of futility. Add on the reports of how we've handled injuries to our most important players and I can't find an angle to defend him anymore tbh.

Now I'm hoping he resigns amicably so as to not do too much damage to his club legend status because that's the only thing that staying on will bring him moving forwards.

He seems a decent man character wise from afar but he's been out of his depth in a similar way that Moyes was but even Moyes had a somewhat successful record in the league to fall back on. Ole's most successful period in his managerial career was in Norway

ZenMaster Coltrane

Forget this top 4 commercial objective obsession. People are delusional if they believe this is going to transform the recruitment strategy or make OGS (who's been managing the same amount of time as Pep) an EPL level manager . If you take the proper long term view, there are no silver linings.

1. These owners are not good enough to steer United to a serious title or CL bid.
2. This board is not good enough to build the right squad.
3. This manager is not good enough to develop, motivate, game plan and mold a team into a top 5 team in Europe.
4. These players are not good enough to form a nucleus of a top team.

These are all undoubtedly true. Just because points 1 and 2 are true, doesn't mean point 3 is not or immaterial. In fact, you're risking the development of potentially influential players who are not progressing at an appropriate pace because of inadequate coaching and a oppressive learning environment. 4) is the hardest to change the fastest. So a rational thinking supporter, would realize that the changes that would guarantee the highest probability of a turnaround would be to change the first 3. If that's not possible then the next most desirable adjustment is to change 2) and if not that then 3).

If you sit there as United manager, regurgitating the company line about being happy with no squad depth after not replacing Hererra, Fellaini, Lukaku, Sanchez...then what's your worth as a manager? You have no pull and set yourself up to fail even more spectacularly. And with this spending on defence, United are bottom 5 in clean sheets. So he can't even coach that.

Mainoldo

He was undeniably dealt a shite hand and we have some cleaning out to do upstairs as well but his position has become untenable if we want to achieve anything this season.

5 defeats over a month since Dec 22 is inexcusable and any of our previous managers would've been on the ropes after a similar run of futility. Add on the reports of how we've handled injuries to our most important players and I can't find an angle to defend him anymore tbh.

Now I'm hoping he resigns amicably so as to not do too much damage to his club legend status because that's the only thing that staying on will bring him moving forwards.

He seems a truly decent man character wise but he's been out of his depth in a similar way that Moyes was but even Moyes had a somewhat successful record in the league to fall back on. Ole's most successful period in his managerial career was in Norway
Klopp was dealt a crap hand. He’s now about to win the league. Europa league final first season. Top 4 second season. Champions League final 3rd season. Champions League winner 4th season.

Give a proper manager a chance.

bucky

Agreed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let me guess, he's still as well as anybody with the 'hand he's been dealt'? Some need to wake up to the reality that he's a bang average manager.

Rolaholic

Klopp was dealt a crap hand. He’s now about to win the league. Europa league final first season. Top 4 second season. Champions League final 3rd season. Champions League winner 4th season.

Give a proper manager a chance.
I fully agree but Klopp is of another class entirely,he was an actual top manager (not once upon a time or in the making) when he joined them

Bojan11

Let me guess, he's still as well as anybody with the 'hand he's been dealt'? Some need to wake up to the reality that he's a bang average manager.
Average is kind.

When the other 19 clubs in the league wouldn’t touch you and most clubs in the championship wouldn’t either then I’d say he’s way below average.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Average is kind.

When the other 19 clubs in the league wouldn’t touch you and most clubs in the championship wouldn’t either then I’d say he’s way below average.
Of course they wouldn't. It's only United who are happy to be managed by someone miles below their requirement and manage to even praise him for winning the odd match or two as if it's an achievement, being a progressive tactician (lol) and loving the club. Fecksake.

Seij

Molde improved and won league without him.
Wait for a condescending reply about how you clearly don't follow Molde and how Ole's genius team building skills are why they're doing better after he left.

LARulz

Saw Rio's analysis at the end of the match. He seems upset and hinted at Old being out of his depth - Jake tried to push him to be open but Rio did well to say it's absolutely everyone.

As far as I can see, Rio is the only ex player (who played with Ole) to vocally say he's not done well enough. Considering how much of a vocal supporter he was, it's good that he is not blindly sticking to defending his mate

Foxbatt

No he wasn't dealt a shit hand. But I do agree with the OP who said fans have to be responsible too. Only an idiot would destroy a team that was the 2nd in the PL. We blame Moyes entirely foe the champions to the 7th place. Yes we do not blame Ole for that.
He should have added some players before he got rid of Fellaini, Herrera and Lukaku. A team that has Fellaini, Herrera, and Fred in midfield would not be over run with like a midfield of Fred, Matic and Pereira.
The man is a populist who says the right things fans want to hear but does the exact opposite.

el3mel

How about a bit of perspective.

Lindelof, Mctominay, Pogba, and Rashford are out injured, which is not just a third of the first eleven, but a big part of the spine of team. We dominated the first half, and spurned guilt edge chances, from the two players that any of you would want the chances to fall to could you choose.

No we didn't score, and yes we are a team out of form and low on confidence, so if you don't take those few chances it will come back to hurt you. Clearly we are not creating, but lets have a look at this. We play with a #10, and are our midfield options for the creative role are Lingard, Pereira, Mata, & Pogba. No amount of coaching can fix two of those four, and while Mata has his uses at times he's over the hill. The only one who genuinely is good enough (and is first choice) has been injured, so yes we lack creativity. We looked at Eriksen and Dybala over summer, and Fernandes now so Ole is well aware.

All this falls back to same old argument of squad depth. Two ways to go about, buy first then sell, or sell first then buy. The squad was bloated as well as the wage bill, so yes, the priority was to get rid first. It's a choice. Trim the squad, and then build it back up with the right players.

It was always going to be a hard season, and guess what, nothing has changed on that front.
I know this was going to happen, that one poster will use Rashford's injury as an excuse when it was Ole who caused it by his stupid management, sacrificing him for a cup game. He also let Scott play for about 40 minutes while being injured before replacing him, and not to mention rushing Pogba earlier against Rochdale. His man management has aggravated our injury issues. At this moment it's hardly an excuse.

Lost bear

Just accept it he says , we have been accepting it for years now.

The problem is that the club seems to have accepted that this is the new norm from now on.

This should never be acceptable for a club like Utd.
If we are ‘entitled’, the only thing we claim entitlement to is decent management and coaching. Phil Neville is as dim as the day is long anyway, he’s always been a cliche merchant.

We ARE entitled to well planned recruitment and investment in the team, and for the board to make good on their promises, like a director of football or equivalent to oversee the longer term vision and project. It’s what all organisations need and should expect from those making the big bucks out of the venture. Not a lot to ask, really....

Foxbatt

We can't blame the players anymore. They have run themselves into the ground. Playing all these matches are going to take a toll on them. But who culled the squad?

meamth

I am coming out with the same either we win or we loose. No one, and I mean no one can point out any tactical rabbit that would have won this game. It is all about ability and we need to invest! I can’t believe this is pointed towards Ollie. It is seven years in the making. When you have no options for Martial having a shit game. And when your only option is Pereira and Lindgard in the number 10. Feck me.. They should not be anywhere near the first team. James should be a squad player. And NO!!!!!!!! We should not throw Greenwood out on the deep end with Jesus like expectations. Why the feck isn’t people on here talking about players and their preformance? Matic was the fecking best player for UTD. What does that tell us? And Mata? ...
If you want to know the score, read “captive state” by Georg Monbiot. You’d think the Americans are stealing your living at Man Utd. But truth is.. Every fecking time you leave your house.. What is even worse. Every fecking player and manager painted this picture before the match. Where comes the danger and what to do. Didn’t happen, and it’s fecking shit! It’s shit!
There was nothing wrong with tactics tonight. But, o boy there was a lot going wrong. If this window closes without two signings..Listen to Stephen Hawson on YouTube after this loss. That is fecking spot on! Listening to Crouch and Ferdinand.. Spot on! Sack Ollie. Hire Poch. Hire Pep and hire Klopp. It won’t change a fecking thing, Phil Jones will never be anything else than Phil Jones, and he wasn’t even worst of the bunch. Smarten up feckers - and point your finger in the right direction! But what i do agree on. Ollie needs to paint them walls red!
Exactly agree with this.

We didn't convert all those chances early on, that's on the players.

James Ward

This is it Ole as big your gonna get so enjoy it, United had to give you a career to destroy it.

James Ward

Exactly agree with this.

We didn't convert all those chances early on, that's on the players.
Oh come on, any sort of top teams creates far more chance than United make.

So even with all the injuries Ole won't change the 4-2-3-1 formation to adapt.

He's not getting the best out of the players he has and that's a fact!

zenith

In hindsight ole will probably realize that Gary Neville was not wrong. A manager in his position has to protect his interests.

We let go of fellaini, Herrera, Sanchez and lukaku and those four places were left without replacements. In that sense, he's getting the reward for what he's sown.

Sorting out the defence is no good when the midfield and forward line remain this thin on quality and quantity. The current failures are on him for not pushing for signings and even now if he refuses to pressure Woodward into making the bruno deal, then he'll be gone before April.

I still believe that had we played yesterday with a full strength team, we would have won. But football is a squad game and any manager at any level should know that.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If I was him I'd play youth for both Cup. Competitions to help the squad and potentially save some face until the premier league starts again.

Couldn't care less about the FA Cup any more, won enough of it & have too much of a small squad to be putting our squad for Cup competitions like that.

Micky Targaryen

Judging by some of the moronic replies on here, it seems like an either/or situation when it comes putting the blame on either the Glazers/Woodward or Ole. Why can't it be both?? Yes, we have a dodgy board and we have a shitshow of a manager. But hey, guess what. Owners are owners and I don't think they are going anywhere soon, but we can still upgrade the manager. And if you are gonna tell me how managers like Poch and Allegri isn't an upgrade on Ole, you are either deluded or it just blatantly shows just how simply biased you are towards Ole.

GiddyUp

Ole I admire you for taking on this once great club after Mourinho had turned it so toxic. You have given us the occaisonal great moment like PSG & City away which we will always appreciate.

Yes I realise you are missing McTominay, Pogba & Rashford badly but we still should be beating Burnley at home with this team.

You really needed to demand more from this board behind the scenes and got in better coaching than the Utd old boys club. Maybe if you had better around you then this wouldn't need to be the end of the road.

I think it's a real shame that in the end it will be that Toy Story puppet who pulls the trigger on you. I would much rather you walk away with your dignity intact.

If you have to be sacked then it should be done by a proper DOF not some banker who hasn't a clue on football matters.
Football is cutthroat, as it should. The problem is the club has been tickling too many fat bellies for too long.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We currently have shit owners and might do for some time.

so we could have either ...

Shit owners + Shit manager

or

Shit owners + Poch / Allegri

I know which I’d rather have. There can be little argument for Ole. We’ve seen enough. His judgement is poor.

Deery

Dreary
He’s made mistakes after mistake after mistake and we still persist with him, it’s Manchester United for Gods sake the pinnacle of footballing excellence not some club for a novice manager to sharpen his teeth on.
Crazy if this guy is still in a job by the next match. I mean Barcelona just got rid of Valverde and he won the league last year, they’d never stand for this could you imagine if someone put Messi in with a broken back he would be fearing for his life no just his job.

jimmyb2000

Somethings wrong for sure - Ole says we only lose 1 match a month but that's the 4th match we've lost in January so far.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We currently have shit owners and might do for some time.

so we could have either ...

Shit owners + Shit manager

or

Shit owners + Poch / Allegri

I know which I’d rather have. There can be little argument for Ole. We’ve seen enough. His judgement is poor.
Liverpool owner are shit and stingy until they hire Klopp
Tottenham Levy... are stingy and shit, until he hire Poch
Even Glazers, weren't so bad when we had SAF

All the owner does is provide cash, and stay out of football, hire the right person. We persist in wantingto remove the owner while persisting with the bad manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.